Post-Game Talk: Jets flush 2 points lose 3 -1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
I believe that Bones has to lose this notion that the Lowry line has to be hard matched against the opposition`s top line whenever possible.. He would be far better served to focus on assembling the best possible balanced four lines that he can roll out consistently (except for clearly specific game circumstances).

But when he does elect to deploy this way, the so called 1st and 2nd lines have got to be able to take advantage of their resultant matchups against the lower opponent lines. In this regard, it seemed that our 2nd line remade as it was last night was a step backward from the Perfetti/Namestnikov/Ehlers combo. I know that many feel Namestnikov isn`t the answer to our need at 2C - but man, the way these three guys work together and the positive chemistry created is something that we should build upon. I personally think we get absolute peak contribution from both Perfetti and Ehlers on such a line.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I like Bones enough, but he's a Nervous Nellie. If he was coaching the entire time, he did a better job giving orders from a remote location.

If it was Arniel the whole time, hats off to Arniel. I'm a huge fan.

I mean intuitively there is only so much coaching you can do remotely. Bones isn't there on the bench and as such he doesn't have any kind of feel for the game as its going on. My guess is he let Arniel run the bench and make the in game adjustments as he saw fit. They likely debriefed after each game and Bones was involved in planning the strategy for the next game etc.

I believe that Bones has to lose this notion that the Lowry line has to be hard matched against the opposition`s top line whenever possible.. He would be far better served to focus on assembling the best possible balanced four lines that he can roll out consistently (except for clearly specific game circumstances).

But when he does elect to deploy this way, the so called 1st and 2nd lines have got to be able to take advantage of their resultant matchups against the lower opponent lines. In this regard, it seemed that our 2nd line remade as it was last night was a step backward from the Perfetti/Namestnikov/Ehlers combo. I know that many feel Namestnikov isn`t the answer to our need at 2C - but man, the way these three guys work together and the positive chemistry created is something that we should build upon. I personally think we get absolute peak contribution from both Perfetti and Ehlers on such a line.

Yeah he broke up the hottest line we had going. I am at a loss as to why as it wasn't as though we had any other line really struggling. If he wanted to he could have inserted Gabe on the top line for more defense.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
I mean intuitively there is only so much coaching you can do remotely. Bones isn't there on the bench and as such he doesn't have any kind of feel for the game as its going on. My guess is he let Arniel run the bench and make the in game adjustments as he saw fit. They likely debriefed after each game and Bones was involved in planning the strategy for the next game etc.

Yeah he broke up the hottest line we had going. I am at a loss as to why as it wasn't as though we had any other line really struggling. If he wanted to he could have inserted Gabe on the top line for more defense.
He probably wanted to bring Gabe back slowly and didn`t want to give him top line responsibilities too quickly. Maybe we have yet to see what his thinking is here but I`m a little anxious myself.

Reactions: surixon

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I noticed that Knob put McDrai out there a LOT when JMo was in the dark room.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He probably wanted to bring Gabe back slowly and didn`t want to give him top line responsibilities too quickly. Maybe we have yet to see what his thinking is here but I`m a little anxious myself.

Well it sounds like Namestnikov might be out so back into the deep end for Vilardi.

Nice to see Chisholm get into a game. Looking forward to seeing what he can do.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
He was likely trying to get the first line going - you can argue that he shouldn't have done that - but it's tough to argue their lack of point production.
The top line is struggling lately.
Last 5 games:
KC - 2 pts - both on the PP
Scheif - 3 pts - 2 on the PP
Iafallo - zero

So, the top line has 1 pt 5v5 in the last 5 games. Bones may have been a little quick in cranking up the blender but there is concern here.
And regardless of how well the second line is doing (or was doing), we are going nowhere without our big guns driving offense.

Our top 6 are all potentially able to drive a ton of offense - the better discussion might be about what happened to the first line rather than blaming Bones for messing with things.
From what i see, it looks like our top line is not working the Nzone the way they were earlier - they had a lot of success creating turnovers and offense off the transition - I don't see as much of that now. If they can't help disrupt play in the nzone, they end of defending in our zone - and we all know how well the top line handles that.

Side note - another poster mentioned the matchups last night and that maybe the top line should have been out there with McD -
Based on their D game right now (or 200' game), that would likely be a nightmare.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He was likely trying to get the first line going - you can argue that he shouldn't have done that - but it's tough to argue their lack of point production.
The top line is struggling lately.
Last 5 games:
KC - 2 pts - both on the PP
Scheif - 3 pts - 2 on the PP
Iafallo - zero

So, the top line has 1 pt 5v5 in the last 5 games. Bones may have been a little quick in cranking up the blender but there is concern here.
And regardless of how well the second line is doing (or was doing), we are going nowhere without our big guns driving offense.

Our top 6 are all potentially able to drive a ton of offense - the better discussion might be about what happened to the first line rather than blaming Bones for messing with things.
From what i see, it looks like our top line is not working the Nzone the way they were earlier - they had a lot of success creating turnovers and offense off the transition - I don't see as much of that now. If they can't help disrupt play in the nzone, they end of defending in our zone - and we all know how well the top line handles that.

Side note - another poster mentioned the matchups last night and that maybe the top line should have been out there with McD -
Based on their D game right now (or 200' game), that would likely be a nightmare.

That's fair but Bones had Vilardi to insert into the top line while leaving his other lines intact. I don't really buy the coming back from injury excuse as if it was say Scheifele coming back from the same time off he automatically goes back to the top line.

Dale53130

Nov 10, 2019
I agree with what you're saying here.

I do perceive Bowness as someone who (perhaps) thinks more clearly from afar. With that, he seems to also be the type of coach that when he gets too close to the situation, he loses focus, and shuts down thinking in terms of the long game.

His uptick in KFC and Scheifele's minutes vs Nashville, I thought were panicky, and reverting back to last year. KFC has uncharacteristically removed himself in the dying minutes of a game 3 times in the past week, while his line was still out there. To quote Michael Biehn (Aliens), Bones has that line "grinding metal on metal" when they have the depth (and time... it's too early in the schedule) to not have to resort to that.

He's throwing off the rhythm and continuity of the team IMO. I get that he has to integrate Villardi into the lineup, but all he had to do was promote him when he's ready to the 1st or 2nd line, and move 1 person down.

I'm okay with losing, and correcting things, that's how you identify your limitations and (potentially) get stronger. The sky isn't falling. I do think that we have a team that can make a lot of noise in the playoffs.

Last edited:

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
That's fair but Bones had Vilardi to insert into the top line while leaving his other lines intact. I don't really buy the coming back from injury excuse as if it was say Scheifele coming back from the same time off he automatically goes back to the top line.
He probably thought slotting Vilardi into the top line might be a bit early?
He had him planned for the 4th line - and now you expect him to fill in top minutes after coming back from an injury that basically knocked him out for the season?
He had 3 games in before going out - you don't drop those guys back into top minutes and I think you know that.

Reactions: Buffdog and Jets 31

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
Dunno why you start mucking around to get your top line going when every other line is going and we're winning games, AND Vilardi is back. Bones has always been a coach that rides the hell out of his top line though and doesn't seem to trust other lines

Reactions: hn777

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He probably thought slotting Vilardi into the top line might be a bit early?
He had him planned for the 4th line - and now you expect him to fill in top minutes after coming back from an injury that basically knocked him out for the season?
He had 3 games in before going out - you don't drop those guys back into top minutes and I think you know that.

I disagree. Would he have had a top player like KC or Scheifele slated for the fourth line coming in the same situation? The answer is no, so he easily could have chosen to do something different then what he did.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Dunno why you start mucking around to get your top line going when every other line is going and we're winning games, AND Vilardi is back. Bones has always been a coach that rides the hell out of his top line though and doesn't seem to trust other lines

Jets metrics including that of line 2 and line 3 players had been in a decline for a few games. The lines weren't exactly going prior to the change.

Reactions: DRW204

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I disagree. Would he have had a top player like KC or Scheifele slated for the fourth line coming in the same situation? The answer is no, so he easily could have chosen to do something different then what he did.
KC and Scheif are established players on the top line - yes, they might come back and drop in where they were - even when they only get 3 games into the season. But you could debate it based on how early in the season that happened and how fit the player is coming back. Playing 3 games and then sitting for 6 wks would set anyone back - and some would argue it would make sense to ease them in.
Agree to disagree

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Jets metrics including that of line 2 and line 3 players had been in a decline for a few games. The lines weren't exactly going prior to the change.
I haven't been able to watch many games lately in their entirety

But what's your thoughts on this and why

5-game rolling average

5game.jpg

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Maybe Vilardi is not yet in game shape to play heavy minutes. Maybe Bones has seen something concerning in practice regarding how the brace is affecting Vilardi and wanted to evaluate further under game conditions. There could be valid reasons for easing him in, and you can't say with certainty that KFC or Scheif would be treated any differently.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Maybe Vilardi is not yet in game shape to play heavy minutes. Maybe Bones has seen something concerning in practice regarding how the brace is affecting Vilardi and wanted to evaluate further under game conditions. There could be valid reasons for easing him in, and you can't say with certainty that KFC or Scheif would be treated any differently.

We have a case study under Bones from last year in Ehlers. He was injured in game 3 and missed until January 6. In his first game back he played roughly 18 minutes. So no easing him back in after being out a good month longer then Gabe.

Reactions: GNP

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
He was injured in game 3 and missed until January 6. In his first game back he played roughly 18 minutes. So no easing him back in after being out a good month longer then Gabe.
Seems like kind of a lot of minutes for Ehlers!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think that was the game Ehlers came back from injury with Schmidt and Perfetti? Apples a bit later?
The Jets were playing pretty solid, as I recall, with all those players out.

The Hobgoblin

Sep 6, 2011
Not going to lie that loss hurt. Led the entire game thanks to wunderkind Cole and just blew it at the end.

Reactions: GNP
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad