News Article: Jets exploring trade market for Wheeler

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
We've heard quite a bit about how intense he can be. Sure Mo let them dictate a little bit to much but it seems like a lot of players were rubbed the wrong way by his approach.
I think he lost the room much like a coach can lose the room. I don’t think players liked him outside his buddy Scheif. Even Stastny had enough and turned on his non sense in the end.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Agreed. It's one of the reasons I see JoMo as the next C. He seems to be pretty balanced.

I don't mind that idea but it's hard to know if that will be good for the room without knowing the internal politics.

I think he lost the room much like a coach can lose the room. I don’t think players liked him outside his buddy Scheif. Even Stastny had enough and turned on his non sense in the end.

Yeah definitely seems like he did.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I agree with this. I think Blake was more then fine as the C for a time but then he got too intense and that started wearing on players. You saw that start in 2019.

I also think the constant throwing the kids under the bus also pissed players off especially as they were the ones carrying the bulk of the mail.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I agree with this. I think Blake was more then fine as the C for a time but then he got too intense and that started wearing on players. You saw that start in 2019.
Losing great leaders such as Buff and Little was the start of the Jets demise as they would keep Wheeler in check. I always wondered how that season would’ve turned out had we had them on the team.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Losing great leaders such as Buff and Little was the start of the Jets demise as they would keep Wheeler in check. I always wondered how that season would’ve turned out had we had them on the team.

Agreed, I think Buff was his buffer. I'm sure Little also helped as well in that regard.

Reactions: ps241

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Wheeler buyout:

2022-23 Cost -$2,458,333 Cap Hit - $4,208,333
2023-24 Cost -$2,458,333 Cap Hit - $2,458,333
2024-25 Cost -$2,458,333 Cap Hit - $2,458,333
2025-26 Cost -$2,458,333 Cap Hit - $2,458,333

If 50% retained salary

2022-23 Cost - $3,250,000 Cap Hit - $4,125,000
2023-24 Cost - $4,125,000 Cap Hit - $4,125,000

Reactions: JetsUK

Ossific

Aug 23, 2010
Wheeler buyout:

2022-23 Cost -$2,458,333 Cap Hit - $4,208,333
2023-24 Cost -$2,458,333 Cap Hit - $2,458,333
2024-25 Cost -$2,458,333 Cap Hit - $2,458,333
2025-26 Cost -$2,458,333 Cap Hit - $2,458,333

If 50% retained salary

2022-23 Cost - $3,250,000 Cap Hit - $4,125,000
2023-24 Cost - $4,125,000 Cap Hit - $4,125,000
I mean I wouldn't want to carry cap for 4 years but it looks like it isn't that much worse for buying him out then a 50% retention trade.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I am sure I am in the minority here. But for all of the public discussions by the Jets and Wheeler and others about everyone wanting to move on, I believe he will still be a Jet in September.

The contract is a boat anchor compared to his contribution. I don't think Chevy will want to retain the salary required to move him. Contenders don't become contenders by taking on suck contracts of declining, middle six wingers. His powerplay contribution is way overstated if you look at the other options that we have that could take his place on pplay1 and perform likely better. Other teams will break this down and see what he brings even strength. The only scenario that I see working is if the Jets take a bad contract or two back, or we have to gift away a good prospect or picks or both. None of that will look good on Chevy.

I hope I am wrong and we both get to move on. But it will be ugly if we are watching a Jets game, and Wheeler is the 8th or 9th highest paid player on the Jets payroll, even though that is our cost for him to play against us skating for the other team.

Reactions: robertocarlos

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
I will be curious to see the value if, and or when it plays itself out. With so many teams up against the cap I am not sure how it will unfold.
Penguins just inked Rakell for $5M per. Nuke got $6M

If you are contending now and you miss on Johnny Hockey you're looking at Kane, G, Copp, Perron.

All guys that are going to cost you more than $4M against the cap so really at $4M Wheeler is on a value contract and should return something. If we are retaining for 2 years we wouldn't need to pay for anyone to take that deal.

Then we have the wrench that Wheeler has to want to go there so its not like we can just pay an asset for the Blackhawks to take on the entire contract if Wheeler wants to play for a contender.

I think teams likely need to try for the above guys for free and then once the landscape has firmed up a bit the Jets will be able to flip Wheeler to a team that misses.

My guess is still he follows PoMo to Florida. Here is my projected trade that I think works for both sides:

Wheeler 50% retained
Dillon 50% retained
Stanley

for

Reinhart
Weegar

Them: 22 person roster with $1.78M in capspace left

1657647091860.png

Us:

1657647470276.png

Championship!

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015

If you are contending now and you miss on Johnny Hockey you're looking at Kane, G, Copp, Perron.

All guys that are going to cost you more than $4M against the cap so really at $4M Wheeler is on a value contract and should return something. If we are retaining for 2 years we wouldn't need to pay for anyone to take that deal.

Then we have the wrench that Wheeler has to want to go there so its not like we can just pay an asset for the Blackhawks to take on the entire contract if Wheeler wants to play for a contender.

I think teams likely need to try for the above guys for free and then once the landscape has firmed up a bit the Jets will be able to flip Wheeler to a team that misses.

My guess is still he follows PoMo to Florida. Here is my projected trade that I think works for both sides:

Wheeler 50% retained
Dillon 50% retained
Stanley

for

Reinhart
Weegar

View attachment 567872

Us:

View attachment 567876

Championship!
well we don't address one of our biggest weaknesses last year: bottom 6 scoring

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I am sure I am in the minority here. But for all of the public discussions by the Jets and Wheeler and others about everyone wanting to move on, I believe he will still be a Jet in September.

The contract is a boat anchor compared to his contribution. I don't think Chevy will want to retain the salary required to move him. Contenders don't become contenders by taking on suck contracts of declining, middle six wingers. His powerplay contribution is way overstated if you look at the other options that we have that could take his place on pplay1 and perform likely better. Other teams will break this down and see what he brings even strength. The only scenario that I see working is if the Jets take a bad contract or two back, or we have to gift away a good prospect or picks or both. None of that will look good on Chevy.

I hope I am wrong and we both get to move on. But it will be ugly if we are watching a Jets game, and Wheeler is the 8th or 9th highest paid player on the Jets payroll, even though that is our cost for him to play against us skating for the other team.
I posted this last week as well. Dressing room issues aside, if you are the Jets and you move him your on ice talent goes way down as he is still a good hockey player. Maybe you talk to Blake and say hey, here is the deal:
We will transition to the next generation of Leadership in the room, make JMo Cappy, three of Lowry, Connor, Pionk Ehlers, Scheif assistants and take that stress and pressure off you and allow you to just play hockey. We will have one kick at it this year and if we aren't close we will move you at the deadline to a contender.

Based on reports my theory and yours may be in the minority but I just don't see how we compete with this group and give it one last chance as who replaces Wheeler on ice production? Run with:

Ehlers Scheif Perfetti
Connor PLD Wheeler
Barron Lowry Apples
Harkins Gus TUFA
Toninato

Jmo Heinola
Samberg Pionk
Schmidt Demelo
Stanley

Helly
Comrie

Trade Dillon. Sign a good depth UFA or two. And give them one last go. Unless of course it is absolutely impossible to bring Wheeler back for reasons that are in the room. I also feel this way as my opinion on the off season changed after PLD's comments. I thought he would stay here. Now that he's not this is the year to give it one last shot before a reload where you trade PLD and Wheeler away.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
I posted this last week as well. Dressing room issues aside, if you are the Jets and you move him your on ice talent goes way down as he is still a good hockey player. Maybe you talk to Blake and say hey, here is the deal:
We will transition to the next generation of Leadership in the room, make JMo Cappy, three of Lowry, Connor, Pionk Ehlers, Scheif assistants and take that stress and pressure off you and allow you to just play hockey. We will have one kick at it this year and if we aren't close we will move you at the deadline to a contender.

Based on reports my theory and yours may be in the minority but I just don't see how we compete with this group and give it one last chance as who replaces Wheeler on ice production? Run with:

Ehlers Scheif Perfetti
Connor PLD Wheeler
Barron Lowry Apples
Harkins Gus TUFA
Toninato

Jmo Heinola
Samberg Pionk
Schmidt Demelo
Stanley

Helly
Comrie

Trade Dillon. Sign a good depth UFA or two. And give them one last go. Unless of course it is absolutely impossible to bring Wheeler back for reasons that are in the room. I also feel this way as my opinion on the off season changed after PLD's comments. I thought he would stay here. Now that he's not this is the year to give it one last shot before a reload where you trade PLD and Wheeler away.
That bottom 6 will score 40 goals combined imo …

Wow do we need a middle six scorer

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
well we don't address one of our biggest weaknesses last year: bottom 6 scoring

OK but then you trade Schmidt to Detroit for a 3rd and use his cap to add Phil Kessel or something. I was just trying to showcase my Florida trade where PoMo gets a bunch of his guys and they shed cap but it's also a hockey trade. With Barkov, Lundell and Bennett down the middle Rienhart is moveable. Adding a second PPG C to play behind Scheif means we actually have that elite 1-2 punch where we can move PLD to the wing, or play PLD in the middle and move Reinhart to the wing... whatever. We have an elite top 6 no matter how you deploy those 6 guys.

We can't add more cap to the bottom 6 because of that $6M contract sitting on the third pair. Great guy but that caphit is a killer.

Reactions: Teemusalami204

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
I know this is the Wheeler thread but I find it funny the trade Stanley & Dillon comments.
Two of the tougher D men gone?
Just what the Jets need ... a soft D right?
Have you notice both of them made the SAME mistakes chasing the wrong forwards and being out of position?
That tells me the coaching is s**t.
As for Wheeler give him less minutes / no PP time / good coaching and he might be useful ... every team has a bad contract.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I know this is the Wheeler thread but I find it funny the trade Stanley & Dillon comments.
Have you notice both of them made the SAME mistakes chasing the wrong forwards and being out of position?
As for Wheeler give him less minutes / no PP time / good coaching and he might be useful ... every team has a bad contract.
stanley tough? I seen 12 year old casey mittelstadt out muscle him in the corner last year

• Haha
Reactions: roccerfeller

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
The Avs had no problem winning a cup with 5’10, 5’11, 6’1, 6’1, 6’1 Ds and one 6’3 D.

Reactions: FonRiesen

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Unless Wheeler is truly a disruptive force in the room and the rest of the team wants him gone, Wheeler will be moved when the return is what the Jets want.

If we have learnt anything over the last 11 years it is that Chevy will not just give Wheeler away. Even if Wheeler changed his 5 team trade list to include the whole league, he still has some value as a player, and Chevy will not give that away for next to nothing. Chevy will do what's best for the team, and if that means he is still with the Jets next season because the Jets don't get the return that they want, then that's what will happen.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014

Dillon will be replaced by Samberg that is also tough, and Stanley likely won't be in the lineup so what he does from the pressbox here doesn't really matter. If you move those 2 out and run JMo, Samberg, Heinola on the left side with Chisholm as the first callup I think we'd be fine. Someone would need to help Lowry out with fighting though.

We also would be acquiring Weegar that plays a physical game. so 2 physical guys out, 2 physical guys in (one internal and 1 through trade)

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Dillon will be replaced by Samberg that is also tough, and Stanley likely won't be in the lineup so what he does from the pressbox here doesn't really matter. If you move those 2 out and run JMo, Samberg, Heinola on the left side with Chisholm as the first callup I think we'd be fine. Someone would need to help Lowry out with fighting though.

We also would be acquiring Weegar that plays a physical game. so 2 physical guys out, 2 physical guys in (one internal and 1 through trade)
Good call. But I’d be more worried about having puck moving Ds that can skate and jump in the rush then tough Ds that block shots.
You’ll still have defensive Pkers like Demelo Samberg and Jmo and your PP guys in Heinola Pionk. Weegar would be nice.

That’s the thing, the longer we hold on to him the higher the return as he’d become a more affordable rental. I was responding to your post above @cbcwpg

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Wheeler 50% retained
Dillon 50% retained
Stanley

for

Reinhart
Weegar

View attachment 567872

Us:

View attachment 567876

Championship!

I appreciate the work you put into this post. Its good food for thought and there is logic to it even when it doesn’t quite play out this way. Posts like this add allot of value for me.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015

Wheeler 50% retained
Dillon 50% retained
Stanley

for

Reinhart
Weegar

View attachment 567872

Us:

View attachment 567876

Championship!
I think you`re absolutely on the right track here - Chevy will probably get better value for Wheeler if he looks to a "bigger" trade, rather than just what he can get for Wheeler alone.

I like the idea of targeting a trade with Florida -there is reason to speculate they might see Wheeler as attractive (with Maurice now there), and I like targetting players that will fill holes in our lineup like Weegar and Reinhart (or possibly Bennett). There continue to be rumours that Weegar might be made available.

Trouble is, if Chevy were actively considering a "bigger" trade, I would have thought that the best time for such would have been just before the Draft when picks could have been available. Now that the Draft is over, it will be harder to put together a package that Florida finds acceptable/attractive.( both Dillon and Stanley to use your thought)

Reactions: GNP

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012

Wheeler 50% retained
Dillon 50% retained
Stanley

for

Reinhart
Weegar

View attachment 567872

Us:

View attachment 567876

Championship!

If I am a contender I would take Wheeler at 4.2 million for 2 years any day over Rakell at 5mill+ for 5 years.

Reactions: Stej

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad