News Article: Jets exploring trade market for Wheeler

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Now that the draft has past there isn’t likely to be any movement on the Wheeler front until at least a couple days into the UFA period. Teams will kick tires and sign payers where they don’t have to exchange value back first. If Wheeler was a UFA he likely gets $5 M or so on a a 2-3 year deal. So that is what Chevy is dealing with. He really doesn’t have much more than neutral value so only chance for a deal is later on if a team is still looking for a vet middle 6 winger and has cap space and a player they are willing to move. We will still have to retain.

Reactions: GNP and macmaroon

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Now that the draft has past there isn’t likely to be any movement on the Wheeler front until at least a couple days into the UFA period. Teams will kick tires and sign payers where they don’t have to exchange value back first. If Wheeler was a UFA he likely gets $5 M or so on a a 2-3 year deal. So that is what Chevy is dealing with. He really doesn’t have much more than neutral value so only chance for a deal is later on if a team is still looking for a vet middle 6 winger and has cap space and a player they are willing to move. We will still have to retain.
Along that line...

Who are the free agent wingers that are comparable to wheeler that contenders would look at signing? What kind of term and cap hit are they projected at? And who are the teams targeting them?

Seems to me like those are rhe teams that would be in the market for wheeler if they strike out during the UFA period

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I don’t think chevy would let that happen imo .. it wouldn’t be a good look I’m chipmans opinion.

No ones admired he isn’t a great leader from within the organization. Just that a change might be needed

Why should they publicly criticize his leadership?

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
I don't know if you can fleece a team like Philly that is trying to win by taking away their good players. For players that want to be traded. That's optimistic.

If there's a GM that likes old players it's Lou Lamiriello. Wheeler for Anthony Beauvillier would be an interesting trade. Beauvillier would be a good winger for Dubois, if the plan is to promote Connor back with Scheifele.

Jets would probably still have to retain $2 million for the Isles to have the Cap space to sign Dobson and Romanov.

I think the Jets will have to retain on Wheeler to move him. There's just not too many similar contracts on the market, and that's 10% of a team's salary cap on one player that is showing signs of decline.

Wheeler won’t go there

He’ll have to shave then …… :sarcasm:

Reactions: voyageur

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Just trade em to Pittsburgh, Edmonton, or Washington already Chevy.

Wheeler for Puljujarvi, we get a much cheaper replacement RW who can drive play but is currently suffering from Valeri Nichushkin syndrome.
I've always liked Puljujarvi as well, and thought the Jets should have went after him awhile back. He's big and a good skater, and can drive the play, but during the playoffs this year, he didn't do too much ? Maybe he will break out, and it could end up being a good deal. I'm sort of 50 -50 on Pulju right now.

If he helps to complete the deal top get rid of Wheeler, I'm all for it.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
It will feel SO weird not to have Wheeler around if this happens.
Who will be the next captain? The surefire Scheifele won't be it and Copp is not around anymore.
I think Lowry plays too low in the lineup, and Morrissey isn't so much a leader type so just give it to Ehlers or Connor I'd say! Go all in on them.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It will feel SO weird not to have Wheeler around if this happens.
Who will be the next captain? The surefire Scheifele won't be it and Copp is not around anymore.
I think Lowry plays too low in the lineup, and Morrissey isn't so much a leader type so just give it to Ehlers or Connor I'd say! Go all in on them.

I'm not so sure that you can give it to Ehlers or Connor either. Neither seem like they are ready or willing to lead an NHL team. I think we just head into the season with Scheif, Morrissey and probably Lowry wearing As and see what happens from there.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Just trade em to Pittsburgh, Edmonton, or Washington already Chevy.

Wheeler for Puljujarvi, we get a much cheaper replacement RW who can drive play but is currently suffering from Valeri Nichushkin syndrome.
Why would the Oilers ever do that? The Jets will need to give to get rid of Wheeler's contract and Puljujärvi at least has some (minor) value. Wheeler's contract is so expensive that it'd require heavy retention at the very least.

Reactions: hn777

Daximus

Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Why would the Oilers ever do that? The Jets will need to give to get rid of Wheeler's contract and Puljujärvi at least has some (minor) value. Wheeler's contract is so expensive that it'd require heavy retention at the very least.

Retention or cap dumps coming the other way.

Reactions: GNP

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Retention or cap dumps coming the other way.
In that case it'd be a zero sum game, and the only reason to do it would be to get rid of Wheeler as a person. I don't think the organization is too interested in that part, moreso the cap hit/on ice role, and whatever parts they'd get back would probably be worse than the loss of Wheeler.

Daximus

Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
In that case it'd be a zero sum game, and the only reason to do it would be to get rid of Wheeler as a person. I don't think the organization is too interested in that part, moreso the cap hit/on ice role, and whatever parts they'd get back would probably be worse than the loss of Wheeler.

I think that is honestly the main reason they are doing it. Wheeler as a leader has failed and I don't think either side is terribly interested in continuing their relationship given what has gone on the last few months. A change for both parties is needed.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Yeah. We retain 3ish mil, they get a near PPG winger for 2 years. We get a guy they don't like who's actually a good play driver to try and replace Wheeler and will be making less than Wheeler's 5 mil.

Blake Wheeler at 5 is a valuable player fot a contending win now team like the Oilers.

They both think a move is for the best. And they need to change the room dynamic.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Yeah. We retain 3ish mil, they get a near PPG winger for 2 years. We get a guy they don't like who's actually a good play driver to try and replace Wheeler and will be making less than Wheeler's 5 mil.

Blake Wheeler at 5 is a valuable player fot a contending win now team like the Oilers.

They both think a move is for the best. And they need to change the room dynamic.
Has it really been stated from the organization that they think Wheeler has failed as a leader or is it mostly speculation? They seem so loyal that it’d be surprising to me if they really thought that way.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Has it really been stated from the organization that they think Wheeler has failed as a leader or is it mostly speculation? They seem so loyal that it’d be surprising to me if they really thought that way.

I think we're all going by the fact that multiple "insiders" have stated they're both open to moving on, as well as the multiple reports of heated exit interviews, players talking publicly about the culture in the room, etc.

Chevy could stab a person in the throat on live tv and tomorrow be "umming" his way to a non commital answer the next day when asked about it lol.

I agree they're loyal to a fault

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I think that is honestly the main reason they are doing it. Wheeler as a leader has failed and I don't think either side is terribly interested in continuing their relationship given what has gone on the last few months. A change for both parties is needed.

My guess (100% guess)

This season would have been the worst one for Blake and his family. Maurice bailed, the team was a mess, his former side kick Schief was moping around on and off the ice and had “the presser”, His best friend Stats kind of took over their co interview at the end of the season and called out 55 (my opinion) and others I am less aware of for not playing the right way as a team. Total shit show compounded by the fact we live in a typical insane Canadian hockey market and Blake (and his family) would be well aware of him being called out for said shitty locker room by not just our gossip girls, high school drama hockey fans, but pretty much every national media outlet and all the talking heads. Not like he doesn’t make it easy with his crazy diaper baby interviews and goofy immature moody behaviour. Seriously Maurice and TNSE you stupid f*** Nuts, you knew this was 100% Blake going in before you stitched the letter on the jersey. We ended up becoming locally and nationally called out as the poster boy franchise for underachieving, good on paper, something is wrong with that leadership group. Losing always sucks but last season was next level.

If Blake has an ounce of pride left then yes he would want to GTFO. Really sad end in Winnipeg to a great career as a player and a turbulent run as a “Captain”.

I know Blake is extremely flawed but a prime Wheeler driving past the defence to the net with amazing hands was pretty fun to watch. One of the best in the game at his peak. Dude always brought it and sometimes suffered from not having an off switch.

Hope for his sake he never has to wear the Jets Jersey again. I don’t think there is any way they can bring him back as the captain but they love to do things the hard way so who knows. Blake certainly can still play well enough to be an asset.

Last edited:

Daximus

Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

It's been all over the hockey news circles for the past month or more. The fact that both sides say they are ready to move on. All the rumours circulating that can neither be confirmed nor denied. They say where there's smoke there's fire. But this has been a full on 5 alarm blaze the past month or more.

I think TSNE is loyal to a point and that point was probably a season ago. At this point I think the writing on the wall is screaming at them.

My guess (100% guess)

This season would have been the worst one for Blake and his family. Maurice bailed, the team was a mess, his former side kick Schief was moping around on and off the ice and had “the presser”, His best friend Stats kind of took over their co interview at the end of the season and called out 55 (my opinion) and others I am less aware of for not playing the right way as a team. Total shit show compounded by the fact we live in a typical insane Canadian hockey market and Blake (and his family) would be well aware of him being called our for said shitty locker room by not just our gossip girls, high school drama hockey fans, but pretty much every national media outlet and all the talking heads. Not like he doesn’t make it easy with his crazy diaper baby interviews and goofy immature moody behaviour. Seriously Maurice and TNSE you stupid f*** Nuts, you knew this was 100% Blake going in before you stitched the letter on the jersey. We ended up becoming locally and nationally called out as the poster boy franchise for underachieving, good on paper, something is wrong with that leadership group. Losing always sucks but last season was next level.

If Blake has an ounce of pride left then yes he would want to GTFO. Really sad end in Winnipeg to a great career as a player and a turbulent run as a “Captain”.

I know Blake is extremely flawed but a prime Wheeler driving past the defence to the net with amazing hands was pretty fun to watch. One of the best in the game at his peak. Dude always brought it and sometimes suffered from not having an off switch.

Hope for his sake he never has to wear the Jets Jersey again. I don’t think there is any way they can bring him back as the captain but they love to do things the hard way so who knows. Blake certainly can still play well enough to be an asset.

I think you hit the nail on the head and I couldn't have said any of it any better. I love Wheeler as a player and I love what he did for this team and I honestly thought he would make a great leader. But he may run a little to hot to be a full time captain. The guy is passionate and sometimes that works. Sometimes you have guys willing to lay it all on the line for you and sometimes you come across as an ass. It's a fine line and I don't think Wheeler was able to walk on the right side of it.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It's been all over the hockey news circles for the past month or more. The fact that both sides say they are ready to move on. All the rumours circulating that can neither be confirmed nor denied. They where there's smoke there's fire. But this has been a full on 5 alarm blaze the past month or more.

I think TSNE is loyal to a point and that point was probably a season ago. At this point I think the writing on the wall is screaming at them.

Also the whole loyalty angle plays into them moving a long standing player who wants to move on. Wheeler did a lot for the org, the org will respect his wishes to move on. Just as they would have for Buff had Buff elected to want to move on and continue playing.

Daximus

Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Also the whole loyalty angle plays into them moving a long standing player who wants to move on. Wheeler did a lot for the org, the org will respect his wishes to move on. Just as they would have for Buff had Buff elected to want to move on and continue playing.

Yeah I think they may have been a little to loyal but as a small market I'd rather it look like we are too loyal to our players than not loyal enough. That is going to lead to some bad decisions but you can't get them all right. I think them actually identifying their mistake right now and trying to make a change is a good thing. We are still a young organization that is learning our identity and how to be a professional hockey franchise and with that is going to come some issues. We learned an important lesson with our last two captains. Ladd was probably a little bit to reserved and Wheeler probably a little bit to forward. That just means the next guy has to fall somewhere in the middle.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah I think they may have been a little to loyal but as a small market I'd rather it look like we are too loyal to our players than not loyal enough. That is going to lead to some bad decisions but you can't get them all right. I think them actually identifying their mistake right now and trying to make a change is a good thing. We are still a young organization that is learning our identity and how to be a professional hockey franchise and with that is going to come some issues. We learned an important lesson with our last two captains. Ladd was probably a little bit to reserved and Wheeler probably a little bit to forward. That just means the next guy has to fall somewhere in the middle.

Agreed. It's one of the reasons I see JoMo as the next C. He seems to be pretty balanced.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad