News Article: Jets exploring trade market for Wheeler

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I am hoping he goes to Florida. Would love to see the big man win a cup before he retires.
If he won the Cup it would also mean Paul Maurice wins the Cup. I think some people believe this to be impossible. Florida has won 2 playoffs series in 26 years. They are going to have to balance their Cap issues, the result of an aggressive ownership green lighting management to spend. Now they've spent all their equity, they have $5 million invested in Keith Yandle this year who's not even on the team, and the team is thin on LD, with no money to re-sign anyone. I think it's mediocrity all the way.

The offseason will be interesting to see who dumps salary and how. The buyers on the market are not the traditional powerhouses, as most have their own Cap issues.

Monkey D Luffy

Go Bombers!
Nov 20, 2017
Winnipeg, MB
What would a trade look like? Maybe a solid backup goalie and a prospect or draft pick? I would have to hope we dump the whole salary which hurts the return quite a bit.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
What would a trade look like? Maybe a solid backup goalie and a prospect or draft pick? I would have to hope we dump the whole salary which hurts the return quite a bit.
Posted in the other thread, but it feels to me like we would get back an overpaid 3rd liner (someone in the $5M range) and a mid-round pick. We would retain some salary, with the quality of the pick depending on the amount retained.

Reactions: Royale With Cheese

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
He seems like he could be a perfect fit in Pittsburgh if we retain 2-3M. Give Malkin an 8Mish extension and then fit Wheeler in at around 5-6M. Would just fit under the cap for them and let them have another "big" piece for their last push with Crosby/Malkin/Letang

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
Just trade em to Pittsburgh, Edmonton, or Washington already Chevy.

Wheeler for Puljujarvi, we get a much cheaper replacement RW who can drive play but is currently suffering from Valeri Nichushkin syndrome.
Over the last two seasons JP has played over 80% of his 5v5 minutes with both of or one of McDavid/Draisaitl and has just 44 points.

If he was on the Jets I’d be surprised if he managed more than than 15 points per season at 5v5.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Over the last two seasons JP has played over 80% of his 5v5 minutes with both of or one of McDavid/Draisaitl and has just 44 points.

If he was on the Jets I’d be surprised if he managed more than than 15 points per season at 5v5.

Maybe Connor can teach him how to Finish lol.

Really good defensively too.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
to philly something around wheeler and dillon for provorov/konecny
I don't know if you can fleece a team like Philly that is trying to win by taking away their good players. For players that want to be traded. That's optimistic.

If there's a GM that likes old players it's Lou Lamiriello. Wheeler for Anthony Beauvillier would be an interesting trade. Beauvillier would be a good winger for Dubois, if the plan is to promote Connor back with Scheifele.

Jets would probably still have to retain $2 million for the Isles to have the Cap space to sign Dobson and Romanov.

I think the Jets will have to retain on Wheeler to move him. There's just not too many similar contracts on the market, and that's 10% of a team's salary cap on one player that is showing signs of decline.

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
I don't know if you can fleece a team like Philly that is trying to win by taking away their good players. For players that want to be traded. That's optimistic.

If there's a GM that likes old players it's Lou Lamiriello. Wheeler for Anthony Beauvillier would be an interesting trade. Beauvillier would be a good winger for Dubois, if the plan is to promote Connor back with Scheifele.

Jets would probably still have to retain $2 million for the Isles to have the Cap space to sign Dobson and Romanov.

I think the Jets will have to retain on Wheeler to move him. There's just not too many similar contracts on the market, and that's 10% of a team's salary cap on one player that is showing signs of decline.
I think a similar value trade for Beauvillier (which I like) would be to Pittsburgh for Kasperi Kapanen. The possibility would also take a step forward if Pittsburgh were to move on from Malkin. 2 mill retained of course.

Reactions: voyageur

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015

yeah, really don't expect that trade to happen... I was just saying that because philly has been reportedly looking to trade both while we have been reportedly looking to trade both as well

Monkey D Luffy

Go Bombers!
Nov 20, 2017
Winnipeg, MB
Posted in the other thread, but it feels to me like we would get back an overpaid 3rd liner (someone in the $5M range) and a mid-round pick. We would retain some salary, with the quality of the pick depending on the amount retained.
Couldn't we get an overpaid backup goalie instead?

Zippity

Feb 3, 2013

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
If he won the Cup it would also mean Paul Maurice wins the Cup. I think some people believe this to be impossible. Florida has won 2 playoffs series in 26 years. They are going to have to balance their Cap issues, the result of an aggressive ownership green lighting management to spend. Now they've spent all their equity, they have $5 million invested in Keith Yandle this year who's not even on the team, and the team is thin on LD, with no money to re-sign anyone. I think it's mediocrity all the way.

The offseason will be interesting to see who dumps salary and how. The buyers on the market are not the traditional powerhouses, as most have their own Cap issues.

Agree.

It would also mean convincing a management team that has somehow concluded that Paul Maurice is the coach to take the Panthers over the top that Blake Wheeler will be the FA pickup to take the Panthers over the top.

To reach that second conclusion would take levels of MoBlarney hitherto unseen. I just don't see it happening.

I think Wheels could be a real difference-maker on the right team. Would be good to see him find that fit, for him and the Jets.

Reactions: voyageur

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Agree.

It would also mean convincing a management team that has somehow concluded that Paul Maurice is the coach to take the Panthers over the top that Blake Wheeler will be the FA pickup to take the Panthers over the top.

To reach that second conclusion would take levels of MoBlarney hitherto unseen. I just don't see it happening.

I think Wheels could be a real difference-maker on the right team. Would be good to see him find that fit, for him and the Jets.
To be fair, Maurice set the bar pretty high in his first presser...

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

Yeah a play driving guy who cant finish and is still a valuable guy to have in the bottom six.

If you look at his future as a reclamation project, think Perreault's role on our team?

Oilers seem to be giving up on him at the exact wrong time, as they usually do :laugh:

Not under any illusions he is a true top six guy or ever will be. But he is one of those guys that can fit well on a 2nd 3rd or 4th line depending on how you structure your team

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Yeah a play driving guy who cant finish and is still a valuable guy to have in the bottom six.

If you look at his future as a reclamation project, think Perreault's role on our team?

Oilers seem to be giving up on him at the exact wrong time, as they usually do :laugh:

Not under any illusions he is a true top six guy or ever will be. But he is one of those guys that can fit well on a 2nd 3rd or 4th line depending on how you structure your team
Wouldn't an all-Finn line of Pulju-Lambert-Vesa be something to see? I think our mods might resign en masse. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad