GDT: Jets @ Devils 7 PM Because it's on the Schedule too

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Who was paired with Luke Hughes on D last night ? Anybody know? I see that Bahl, Smith and Nemec all also played above or around 20 minutes each.

We played a very good game in the center ice area, not letting them exit their defensive zone clean or rush through center ice. Regaining possession, counter attacking or at least clogging things up there. Standing or stepping up at their blue line.
Mostly DeSimone. He’s been a nice partner for Luke. They’ve been out there for 4 goals 0 against 60% xG in 37 minutes.

DeSimone is very decisive with the puck. Outside of the one catastrophic blunder, he’s been a rock.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
1711112035188.gif

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Well I agree with the premise that Allen's reasoning was really stupid, there's nothing Fitz can do with a guy with a NMC/NTC. Jake Allen could've said he hated diners as his excuse if he wanted, that's the whole point of having that clause in his contract.
I don’t think Allen needed to say anything other than “no”. I doubt Fitz was given a reason. And while Allen says playing time was the issue, it could have been a lot of things. He / his family may have liked it in Montreal. So, he could have just said, I don’t want to move in December.

Wow - I wonder how long this site can stay in business. The intrusive video ads while posting on a phone make this site almost impossible to use. They must be desperate for revenue.

Reactions: devilsblood

Camille the Eel

Mostly DeSimone. He’s been a nice partner for Luke. They’ve been out there for 4 goals 0 against 60% xG in 37 minutes.

DeSimone is very decisive with the puck. Outside of the one catastrophic blunder, he’s been a rock.
One thing I'd like to see Luke develop on the power plays is a wrist shot, to go with the short wind up slapper he uses. There's a lot of mustard on that shot but it takes a half a tick or more longer to get off and is easy for the goalie to read. To complement it, à la Bret Burns, it helps to have a quick wrist shot that you can get off instantly and just float into the slot when there are screens and there's traffic in front and you are shooting just to get the puck to the net or to get deflections. McAvoy and Fox also utilize that very well when QB'ing the power play.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
One thing I'd like to see Luke develop on the power plays is a wrist shot, to go with the short wind up slapper he uses. There's a lot of mustard on that shot but it takes a half a tick or more longer to get off and is easy for the goalie to read. To complement it, à la Bret Burns, it helps to have a quick wrist shot that you can get off instantly and just float into the slot when there are screens and there's traffic in front and you are shooting just to get the puck to the net or to get deflections. McAvoy and Fox also utilize that very well when QB'ing the power play.
i’m sure working out with quinn during the offseason is going to do wonders for his pp qbing

it’s nice to see him break through the rookie wall like this, he’s been phenomenal the last couple of games and it’s only a taste of what’s to come

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I don’t think Allen needed to say anything other than “no”. I doubt Fitz was given a reason. And while Allen says playing time was the issue, it could have been a lot of things. He / his family may have liked it in Montreal. So, he could have just said, I don’t want to move in December.

Wow - I wonder how long this site can stay in business. The intrusive video ads while posting on a phone make this site almost impossible to use. They must be desperate for revenue.

It’s an ad free wonderland for sponsors. ($12 a year.)

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I'm very encouraged with what Luke has done the last two games. It shows he hasn't let the struggles weigh him down.

Credit where it is due, whether by design or not, the PP is starting to break through. If that is due to Green letting things open up a bit for the players to move around more fluidly, more power to him.
Green said one of the other coaches has been focused on getting the PP to have more movement in it again.

I would think Green was stressing that when he ran it too, but sometimes a new voice saying things in a different way can help things click.

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
I also won’t forget Bahl pinching moments after we took a 2-1 lead causing a 2 on 1 the other way. Luckily, Allen stopped the attempt. Bahl needs to be better there.

Reactions: My3Sons

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Im not sure why it takes so long for this team to get going but it was the same thing last night. Dead in the first, came alive in the second, didn't score for 30 minutes...this is a trend that needs to be fixed

If we need our goaltender to hold us in games for 30+ minutes until we can score we're in trouble. It's fine to ask a goalie to do that every once in awhile but it's so common for this team to take 20/30 minutes to do something.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
Im not sure why it takes so long for this team to get going but it was the same thing last night. Dead in the first, came alive in the second, didn't score for 30 minutes...this is a trend that needs to be fixed

If we need our goaltender to hold us in games for 30+ minutes until we can score we're in trouble. It's fine to ask a goalie to do that every once in awhile but it's so common for this team to take 20/30 minutes to do something.
i’m guessing you didn’t watch the game last night? the goaltender held us in the game by making a whopping 5 saves in the first period.

it was a low event game for one period that you would have loved if the gm’s initials were LL. the devils didn’t look out of the game or like they were just holding on at any point in the 60 minutes played. it was easily their best game of the season. if they play like that every game they will win a lot more than they lose

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
For the 4th time this week I will say, I literally have no idea what some of you watch in these games….

Devils came out last night and played a responsible and hard working first period. A ton of commitment in the D zone and many big blocks were made. They played 20% of that period on the PK and were only outshot by 1.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
i’m guessing you didn’t watch the game last night? the goaltender held us in the game by making a whopping 5 saves in the first period.

it was a low event game for one period that you would have loved if the gm’s initials were LL. the devils didn’t look out of the game or like they were just holding on at any point in the 60 minutes played. it was easily their best game of the season. if they play like that every game they will win a lot more than they lose
I'm not sure what your point is? Not scoring for 30 minutes is ok playing lowing event hockey? As as long as you're not getting your teeth kicked in it's ok to not score for 30 minutes? Is this what you are saying?

My point is it's not sustainable... especially with a young defense that is inevitably going to continue to make mistakes.

I'm not sure how you think we can win regularly only scoring in the 2nd half of games?

NjDevsRR

Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I'm not sure what your point is? Not scoring for 30 minutes is ok playing lowing event hockey? As as long as you're not getting your teeth kicked in it's ok to not score for 30 minutes? Is this what you are saying?

My point is it's not sustainable... especially with a young defense that is inevitably going to continue to make mistakes.

I'm not sure how you think we can win regularly only scoring in the 2nd half of games?
Yesterdays local games:

Devils Jets
Rangers Bruins
Flyers Canes
Islanders Red Wings

One first period goal was scored in all four games combined. It was by the Bruins. They lost.

Womp

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

It's very obvious what he is saying, that if you play low-event hockey it matters less when you score the first goal so long as you do it - that is how the Devils played during their glory years.

Again, the Devils are still shooting like 5% with a 0-0 score.

Reactions: glenwo2

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Two in a row? What is this sorcery? Will we lose the rest of the games this season as a result?

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
For the 4th time this week I will say, I literally have no idea what some of you watch in these games….

Devils came out last night and played a responsible and hard working first period. A ton of commitment in the D zone and many big blocks were made. They played 20% of that period on the PK and were only outshot by 1.
I missed the first, so can't comment directly.

But, on the Jets feed, the color guy remarked that the Devils % of controlled zone exits in the first was 53% (or something like that), and in the second it was 91%. He used that to make a point that the Jets forecheck had stopped working in the second.

I don't know how much of that was due to the penalties (not sure if he was using an adjusted or unadjusted stat).

But, watching much of the second, the Devils did seem to be making much cleaner breakouts.

Was that a change from how they played in the first? Was it the Jets getting tired, or did the Devils start doing something different?

Reactions: My3Sons

NjDevsRR

Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I missed the first, so can't comment directly.

But, on the Jets feed, the color guy remarked that the Devils % of controlled zone exits in the first was 53% (or something like that), and in the second it was 91%. He used that to make a point that the Jets forecheck had stopped working in the second.

I don't know how much of that was due to the penalties (not sure if he was using an adjusted or unadjusted stat).

But, watching much of the second, the Devils did seem to be making much cleaner breakouts.

Was that a change from how they played in the first? Was it the Jets getting tired, or did the Devils start doing something different?
Its hockey, most periods are different than others.

Devils played a strong defensive period on the first. Idk why some want to poo poo that. But they are for some reason.

Reactions: tailfins

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
It's very obvious what he is saying, that if you play low-event hockey it matters less when you score the first goal so long as you do it - that is how the Devils played during their glory years.

Again, the Devils are still shooting like 5% with a 0-0 score.
Am I missing something here.... seriously I feel like I am missing something.

It seems we are talking passed each other....you just said that if you are going to play low event hockey it's important to score first...which I agree with.

But that seems to contradict the timing...if you are constantly taking 30 minutes to score...theoretically you are giving the other team much more opportunity to take the lead....no? I feel like that's obvious.... I'm not even busting balls here...I don't see how you don't see taking 30 minutes to score isn't a problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad