Series Talk: ECSF: New York Rangers vs. Carolina Hurricanes (NYR Lead 3-2)

Who wins in how many games?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
because they don't want to live in that god forsaken hell hole anymore with stockholm syndrome
You do realize that fans can live outside of the five boroughs? The reason many leave the state is affordability, not livability.
I'm a die-hard, lifelong Rangers fan living in NC. I was a Canes season ticket holder because I love hockey. My kids played in the youth program. Does that mean that I can no longer cheer for the team that I have been a fan of my entire life?
The argument that many Canes fans are making about being a dual fan is silly. If the Canes win this series, I will be cheering for them to win the Cup.

AlaBlueShirt

Mar 14, 2018
New York Meatheads vs Carolina All-Stars

pheww it's over in 4

giphy.gif

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
You do realize that fans can live outside of the five boroughs? The reason many leave the state is affordability, not livability.
I'm a die-hard, lifelong Rangers fan living in NC. I was a Canes season ticket holder because I love hockey. My kids played in the youth program. Does that mean that I can no longer cheer for the team that I have been a fan of my entire life?
The argument that many Canes fans are making about being a dual fan is silly. If the Canes win this series, I will be cheering for them to win the Cup.
carpetbagger

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
This series is a toss up. Not sure why Carolina is the odds on favorite. They got bitch slapped by Florida last year. Year before that they lost to a lesser version of the Rangers. The Canes are well coached and give 100% through out the year. The Rangers coasted through much of the year and still finished ahead. Don't think this series will be any different. Carolina will probably buzz around and out play the Rangers for large stretches. The Rangers will do what they do and cash in on unstoppable tic tac toe like plays. Eventually, the Canes will slow down and Igor will take care of the rest. Rangers in 7
Quick answer. The Canes struggled to start the season, if they had their normal start the run away with the division and presidents trophy. The gao between Igor and Freddie is not nearly as big as Rags fans think and the Canes D is much better then the rags. Forwards are pretty even although Bread is the most talented scorer on the ice. Canes are a lot better at 5v5 and have a great PK. The Rags lived on special teams goals so if they don't lead in PP minutes its doesn't look very good for them.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
This series is a toss up. Not sure why Carolina is the odds on favorite. They got bitch slapped by Florida last year. Year before that they lost to a lesser version of the Rangers. The Canes are well coached and give 100% through out the year. The Rangers coasted through much of the year and still finished ahead. Don't think this series will be any different. Carolina will probably buzz around and out play the Rangers for large stretches. The Rangers will do what they do and cash in on unstoppable tic tac toe like plays. Eventually, the Canes will slow down and Igor will take care of the rest. Rangers in 7

The fact that you believe Carolina “got bitch slapped” by Florida tells me you didn’t actually watch the series. If the Rangers want to play like Florida did that series and hope that Igor can replicate Bob’s performance, Carolina would gladly welcome that.

Reactions: Chan790 and Tryamw

Brad Meador

May 5, 2019

Carolina struggled to begin the season and turned the season around after their Canadian road trip in November. We start out like we've been playing since December you're looking at home ice for Carolina this series.

Carolina easily has the better D and goalies are even. Yes, Igor is great but Freddie can be great too when he's on...and he's been on since he's returned from his blood clot. Our backup is not to shabby either.

Florida did not bitch slap us. What series were you watching? Bobrovsky stood on his head that series. It could've easily gone the other way.

This is not the same Carolina team from 2 years ago and it's not the same Rangers team from two years ago.

I don't put too much stock in prior series because changes happen such as trades and new players coming in.

We didn't have Guentzel, Orlov, Burns, a more dynamic Jarvis, Kuznetsov and Andersen did not play that series at all.

The only thing I agree with you on is:

Yes, this series is a toss up.

Also, Carolina will skate circles around the Rangers D. Good luck in trying to contain it for a 7 game series.

Last edited:

Brad Meador

May 5, 2019
I don't understand these "what if" situations that jerks fans keep using...

"What if the jerks didn't suck at in october and november?"

Who cares? They did.

"What if the Rangers didn't shit the bed in January?" Don't care? Same idea.

Rangers did not win the division and Presidents trophy easier than some fans think they did.

If I were a Ranger fan I'd be nervous about this series knowing that Carolina could be the one team that will eliminate a President's trophy team in the playoffs this year. Same for a Carolina fan. Both teams are VERY good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Summer Rose

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
If we’re doing the fandom thing, Rags fans are also Yankees fans are also Knicks fans are also etc etc etc. Your classic “New York” fans, just move from sport to sport.

Urines fans are the diehards. No other sports in the Triangle to distract. Live and die by the team, etc. Anyone still around since the Cup through the dead years is a real one. Very few “real ones” on the Rags side. Just a bunch of displaced New Yorkers who throw on their Rags jersey whenever the team happens to be in town. More of an identification with a city and a reminder of home than a true fandom.

I'm sure I'm not the only transplant from NY that grimly realized there was no going home, married into the local populace and decided to fully embrace local sports and culture, turning my back on everything NY. (Except the Yankees, but there is no MLB team down here so...)
Quite frankly, as a Canes fan- I'm not sure why we are the favorites either. We're used to having these playoff series with home ice advantage. So, on the road, against an amazing goaltender who doesn't care about high shot volume, brutal players like Trouba...they will have their work cut out for 'em.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
Rangers did not win the division and Presidents trophy easier than some fans think they did.

If I were a Ranger fan I'd be nervous about this series knowing that Carolina could be the one team that will eliminate a President's trophy team in the playoffs this year. Same for a Carolina fan. Both teams are VERY good.
Oh... this series is def not going to be easy.

But, I think the jerks seriously underrate the Rangers defense and physicality. Caps were a crap team, that said, they are not a small team. They got pushed around easily and were thrown off their game.

This series easily goes 6 or 7 with the Rangers squeaking out a win.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON

But, I think the jerks seriously underrate the Rangers defense and physicality. Caps were a crap team, that said, they are not a small team. They got pushed around easily and were thrown off their game.

This series easily goes 6 or 7 with the Rangers squeaking out a win.
We aren't underrating your defense and physicality at all. Carolina probably has an edge on defesne depth but NYR has a very solid 1-6 as well. Fox is obviously the best player on either side there so I rate them as about even. You could argue a slight edge either way.

Canes aren't an overly physical team but guys like Svech, Staal, Martinook, Noesen, Burns, Orlov, Skjei, Pesce (if healthy) don't shy away from physicality either. Again, Rangers have an edge there with some absolute maniacs throwing hits but Canes are a fast forechecking team. The Capitals are not. You have to catch the Canes to hit them and they aren't a team that skates with the puck a ton other than Necas.

Maybe physicality will be a big factor in the series. We will see, but going around looking for hits also can lead to penalties against which also might not be a good recipe for leading on the scoresheet.

This is a heavyweight battle so anyone who claims to have a good gauge on which way it will go and in how many games is full of shit.

Brad Meador

May 5, 2019

But, I think the jerks seriously underrate the Rangers defense and physicality.

I think the same can be said some Ranger fans. Yeah, we don't have a Rempe but we do have players whom can be physical.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina

I'm sure I'm not the only transplant from NY that grimly realized there was no going home, married into the local populace and decided to fully embrace local sports and culture, turning my back on everything NY. (Except the Yankees, but there is no MLB team down here so...)
See the difference....

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
rags in 4 losses aka Canes in 5.
rags is a PP team.
There's nothing wrong with that if the powerplay clicks. If the powerplay doesn't click, then there's a problem.

Goals are goals. Powerplay. Shorthanded. It makes no difference. There's no * next to the teams name because they won the game scoring a special teams goal. IF NYR can limit 5 on 5 goals against while scoring on the powerplay, that's still successful.

Will they? Well that's a different story. Carolina is a good team. NYR will need some 5 on 5 production for sure, but let's stop pretending that scoring powerplay goals is an insult, because for the most part, the teams moving on are sitting above 30% so far on the powerplay.

Reactions: Profet

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
This is good stuff.

"If you ignore when we were bad, we would have easily won the president's trophy!"

This is fun. I'll play. If the Rangers weren't bad in January, they would have won the president's trophy by WAY more!

Reactions: Profet

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
If we’re doing the fandom thing, Rags fans are also Yankees fans are also Knicks fans are also etc etc etc. Your classic “New York” fans, just move from sport to sport.

Urines fans are the diehards. No other sports in the Triangle to distract. Live and die by the team, etc. Anyone still around since the Cup through the dead years is a real one. Very few “real ones” on the Rags side. Just a bunch of displaced New Yorkers who throw on their Rags jersey whenever the team happens to be in town. More of an identification with a city and a reminder of home than a true fandom.
Rags fans act like Yankee's fans with a team that's more like the Mets and Jets.:thumbu:

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
These main board threads can get ridiculous fast; and it's usually due to just a few people on both sides.

Let's all just agree that these are two REALLY good teams and it won't be easy for either to advance.

Can't really compare to the series 2 years ago as both teams are substantially different; Canes are radically different compared to even last year.

Canes are the better 5v5 team. While they were close in regular season I would definitely say the Rangers have the advantage in PP and Canes probably have a slight advantage on the kill.

Rangers elite players are better but I'd say Canes have slightly better depth. Rangers tend to play and rely on physicality more but I'm not that worried about it as these aren't the Candy Canes of years past; they can adapt to that sort of play, it's just not a natural part of their system. I am worried about cheap shots (looking at you Trouba and Rempe).

If they're both on I'll give the goaltending advantage to Igor but Freddie has been really good this year too and Kochetkov has the ability to steal games as well though he would be coming in cold which he's not been good at in the past.

I'm going with the homer pick of Canes in 6 but honestly probably wouldn't be surprised with any outcome.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Fraud

Reactions: wunderpanda
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad