Proposal: Jets Defence Mega Thread

denis5

Mar 13, 2007
like I said, I’m hoping that if this is true it’s just a minor move. Roslo for Mayfield for example. Neither base would want to give up either of Ehlers or Pulock
Mayfield's contract means that any move involving him won't be minor. Solid 3/4 on a bubble NHL-level contract ($1.2M this season and next!). That contract makes him pure gold. IF he's to be moved -- and that's a big if -- it would most likely be in a package to get an upgrade in a position of need -- i.e. a scoring winger with an established NHL pedigree.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
What's the story on Roslovic? The few times I see the Jets he kind of jumps off the screen. I don't see enough WPG, but I'd figure him to have better numbers. What's the deal?

T6 potential but just hasn’t capitalized on his opportunities. PoMos usage doesn’t help though,
He has shown flashes of brilliance, speedy with good hands and IQ. I think it all comes down to coaching and usage with him.

Reactions: dano16 and Mbraunm

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Because Winnipeg is still up there in 'no movement' cities I think it would be preposterous to trade any player Winnipeg has signed to long-term deals. One would also think that even guys like Phaneuf and A MacDonald would be better short-term bets than the raw rookies currently on their roster. Hopefully the Byfuglien decision comes soon as that is the obvious holdup to any fixes.
This is the real point that needed to be made. The fact of the matter is the Jets are climbing a steep hill if they are looking to sign top quality FAs. The only way the Jets seem to be able to land quality players is to draft, develop and resign. It does seem like if they can have an opportunity to brain wash a young player for a few years that they have a good chance to resign them to a long term contract, even a reasonable one. The Jets looking for a top pair Dman or top 6 forward in free agency is near impossible. They had to sign Kulikov to a 3 year 4.3M contract to convince him to go to Winnipeg for the love of god.

The Jets would have to be stupid to trade quality for quantity. Leddy +++++ is an easy decision to say no to.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
No. The only players with negative value are ones with onerous contracts. A player making a million or less can have NO value, but can't have negative value.
If every single team inn the league said taking him for free was too much to pay that means he has negative value. When nothing is too much to even look at him then that leaves one thing left, NEGITIVE VALUE. That's the value he has always had going back to his days in Junior. Talent is there but there is something wrong with his head. There is zero evidence he has any value what so ever.

Nov 24, 2006
What's the story on Roslovic? The few times I see the Jets he kind of jumps off the screen. I don't see enough WPG, but I'd figure him to have better numbers. What's the deal?
Jets play him as a winger. Above him are Wheeler, Laine, Connor, and Ehlers.

He can't get into the top 6, and he is not a shutdown winger, so he winds up on the 4th line.

A fresh start for him would likely be better for him to be honest. Maybe not for the Jets, but for him personally.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
One would also think that even guys like Phaneuf and A MacDonald would be better short-term bets than the raw rookies currently on their roster. Hopefully the Byfuglien decision comes soon as that is the obvious holdup to any fixes.

FYI the raw rookie (Heinola) is the second best defenseman on the team currently. It's Morrissey, then a big dropoff, then Heinola, Pionk, Kulikov, another big drop, then Niku and some older AHL players. The Jets board (myself included) is ecstatic about Heinola at this point, even if he gets sent down after 9 for the good of his long-term development.

The problem is #2-#4 D that should be in the #4-#6 spots if the team was going to contend. Upgrading the bottom pair is marginal. They need to upgrade at the top and bump everyone down.

I agree, if Buff comes back midseason as some predict, that changes everything.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Classic16

Sep 4, 2016
My guess cause the jets love mn boys it would be around leddy plus taking ho-sang.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Right, but I said we aren't giving away defense for free.

Pulock isn't some kind of lowball offer for Ehlers, Pulock had the same amount of points last year playing defense. Jets fans can say they don't think the trade is worth it til the cows come home, that is fine. That doesn't mean that we are going to give away Mayfield or Leddy for scraps.
I don't see Jet fans asking for Leddy and Mayfield. But i sure see a lot of NYI fans doing their best to disingenuously down play Ehlers to make that trade.

Ehlers walks into the NYI line up as the 2nd best offensive player.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

HockeyBuzz.com - Eklund - Jets Players Working Byfuglien...holding up possible trade...

Talking to sources this week, a few Jets players have told me the team will be patient, and that the players are texting with Byfuglien because they care about him and think he is better off playing hockey. Its a work in progress...

The Jets may be patient, but that has not stopped Chevy from putting together some contingencies, including a few major trades...The Jets continue to talk to Montreal, Buffalo, and the Islanders...

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
I would think Winnipeg would be interested in Aho and Hickey (Aho, moreso). Hickey is a proven defenseman that won't have a chance to play regularly for us. Aho had a nice 25 game stint with us two years ago but now is behind Dobson and Wilde on the depth chart.

Does something like Aho+ for Roslovic work? Or that and toss in Hickey and we toss in a 3rd? Winnipeg gets two NHL defensemen for about 3.5 a year plus a pick and trade a player they haven't really found a spot for?

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Jets should look to build this year and re-load next year with Samberg and maybe a smart UFA signing.
Don't break up the monster forward core.

UFA signings are tough in our market. Most overpay and we do so and then some, usually. If we have a tough season this year, makes it even tougher to recruit talent who can go to many other desirable markets. This is from a self-aware Jets fan.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
UFA signings are tough in our market. Most overpay and we do so and then some, usually. If we have a tough season this year, makes it even tougher to recruit talent who can go to many other desirable markets. This is from a self-aware Jets fan.

There's also trades in the summer when teams need to clear cap space. Hamonic is an example of a UFA who would consider Jets if he doesn't extend with Calgary.

Gardiner is an example of the new reality of the NHL.
Players can't be as choosy as they want. There is a long list of good UFA d-men next summer.

I think your point is less valid then it normally would be when you consider the abundance of UFA's and the new reality of over paying RFA's. The UFA's have lost a lot of leverage and many of them will take what they can get.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Honestly, I say just see how the new guys do on the Winnipeg blueline. They've been letting in a lot of goals, but with this opportunity I've actually been impressed with young Heinola and the journeyman Bittetto. Though I do think they still need 1 really solid piece, even if Buff does eventually come back.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Honestly, I say just see how the new guys do on the Winnipeg blueline. They've been letting in a lot of goals, but with this opportunity I've actually been impressed with young Heinola and the journeyman Bittetto. Though I do think they still need 1 really solid piece, even if Buff does eventually come back.

This is how I know you didn't actually watch them play.

Phil120362

Dec 29, 2018
I would think Winnipeg would be interested in Aho and Hickey (Aho, moreso). Hickey is a proven defenseman that won't have a chance to play regularly for us. Aho had a nice 25 game stint with us two years ago but now is behind Dobson and Wilde on the depth chart.

Does something like Aho+ for Roslovic work? Or that and toss in Hickey and we toss in a 3rd? Winnipeg gets two NHL defensemen for about 3.5 a year plus a pick and trade a player they haven't really found a spot for?
you keep tossing in our players like horseshoes,take out the 3 rd,put in hosang,or I'll toss my cookies,sheesh!

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
That D is a hot mess right now. They need to fix it before the season gets away from them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad