Proposal: Jets Defence Mega Thread

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The only one the Jets would take for Ehlers is Dobson, and I doubt the Jets do it knowing how good Ehlers looks this year. Plus his contract is team friendly, adding to his value.

I could see a trade around Roslovic and Mayfield. Roslo has a ton of talent but needs good linemates for more than one period here and there. Mayfield adds size the Jets need to replace with Buff, Chiarot, Myers gone. I see their value as close, but if I'm wrong they could balance it with picks.
This makes some sense on the surface but don't know much about Mayfield. Anyone care to give a bit of a scouting report?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
This makes some sense on the surface but don't know much about Mayfield. Anyone care to give a bit of a scouting report?

Big, good skater for his size, can fight if you need somebody. Probably not the greatest hockey IQ but he seems to excel under Trotz's system(compared to Weight where he looked like a chicken with his head cut off). Probably needs a coach who will direct him what exactly to do, I would also try keeping him away from teams top (smaller skilled) players(his toughness matches up good with bigger guys) although not the end of the world if that matchup happens a few time a game

While I would slot him as a solid #5 that you can use on the PK, his contract which I believe has 4 years left makes him extremely valuable to a cash strapped team lacking toughness and a RHD

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
Ehlers has been Jets best forward through 2 games and looks like he’s hugely improved his skills this summer.

If there’s a deal to be made, I’d hope it’s for Connor instead. Sell high on a big season riding shotgun with Scheifele-Wheeler last year.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Ehlers has been Jets best forward through 2 games and looks like he’s hugely improved his skills this summer.

Ehlers playing with Scheif is the only more suspicious if he is on the market, don't you think?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Big, good skater for his size, can fight if you need somebody. Probably not the greatest hockey IQ but he seems to excel under Trotz's system(compared to Weight where he looked like a chicken with his head cut off). Probably needs a coach who will direct him what exactly to do, I would also try keeping him away from teams top (smaller skilled) players(his toughness matches up good with bigger guys) although not the end of the world if that matchup happens a few time a game

While I would slot him as a solid #5 that you can use on the PK, his contract which I believe has 4 years left makes him extremely valuable to a cash strapped team lacking toughness and a RHD
Seems reasonable. Nice contract status as well. Could see a player like this for Roslovic with a little tweaking. It doesn't look like Roslovic will pan out as a center and there is no room in the top 6 for a winger with the Jets so the guy is having a difficult time finding a role. Saying that there is still nice upside as he flashes enough offensive flare to believe there is more to come.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Ehlers playing with Scheif is the only more suspicious if he is on the market, don't you think?
Not considering Laine and Connor both missed all of camp. In all honesty Ehlers is probably the best fit with Scheifele and Wheeler since he is so good at driving possession with his speed.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I mean no offense to ehlers, great player but he paced for under 50 points last year. Pulock was a lockdown top pairing dman playing 22-23 minutes a game.

He doesn’t get you pulock. No point in arguing Bc it’s eklund :laugh:
I'll concede that point ;)

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Winnipeg should be trying to pry Hamonic out of Calgary and immediately give him an extension. The 2020-2021 line-up would look pretty good:

Morrissey - Hamonic
Heinola - Plonk
Samberg - Niku

Stanley, Poolman and some other depth on standby.
Hell, maybe Buff comes back sometime and makes this whole discussion moot.
Beaulieu & Kulikov can walk, Bitetto can be launched into the sun.
Draft a RHD with our presumably mid-round 1st.

There's no need to trade a really dynamic forward for Pulock when we can do similar things in other ways.

I don't like the Flames trading Hamonic because he is one of the tougher D man the Flames have(I think Calgary would look to get another tough D man, if Hamonic was traded, not good as Hamonic of course but some one with jam to play up and down) but if a right deal came along, I would deal him. We are not going to get Elhers for Hamonic but how about something around Hamonic for Jack Roslovic?

Reactions: BatVader

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
I don't think Peterangelo makes it to UFA.
I agree but the Jets should look at this as a retooling year and not give up young high-end assets for a quick fix on D. Hamonic is a more likely UFA target. I could see him taking a hometown discount given the earlier rumors of him wanting to be closer to family.

Reactions: jgimp

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Chevy's the most patient GM in the league and loves to home-grow his own talent. He'll just use this year as a re-tooling year and add some RHD next year.

Chevy might be patient but I think the ownership and the fans might be running out of patience.

Reactions: Zippity

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I agree but the Jets should look at this as a retooling year and not give up young high-end assets for a quick fix on D. Hamonic is a more likely UFA target. I could see him taking a hometown discount given the earlier rumors of him wanting to be closer to family.

I agree on the first part, re-tool for this year.

As for Hamonic, the Flames gave up a lot for him, I don't think that they just get him walk to UFA. If he does not fit into the Flames plans, I think they trade him around the trade deadline to recoup some of the assets used to acquire him.

Reactions: BatVader

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I don't like the Flames trading Hamonic because he is one of the tougher D man the Flames have(I think Calgary would look to get another tough D man, if Hamonic was traded, not good as Hamonic of course but some one with jam to play up and down) but if a right deal came along, I would deal him. We are not going to get Elhers for Hamonic but how about something around Hamonic for Jack Roslovic?
Deal.... I’ll drive him to the airport right now!

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Deal.... I’ll drive him to the airport right now!

Please bring the + with Jack Roslovic.

How about something around Hamonic and Mark Jankowski for Jack Roslovic and a +. Can Jack Roslovic play center?

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Chevy might be patient but I think the ownership and the fans might be running out of patience.

I think that both the Ownership and most of the fan base understand the circumstances to the position that we are in. Trouba wanted out and was not signing here. We couldn’t afford Myers, Chia or Tanev (thankfully as they are each hugely overpaid) and whatever Buff decides is out of our control. Most fans agree to use this as a retool year, maybe collect a few extra assets at the TDL and hope for a good draft and FAgency.
I don’t want to see any of our core forwards go but let’s face it, everyone is available for the right price. What I don’t want to see is a knee jerk reaction and an underwhelming return for one of our elite forwards.

Reactions: viper0220

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
I agree on the first part, re-tool for this year.

As for Hamonic, the Flames gave up a lot for him, I don't think that they just get him walk to UFA. If he does not fit into the Flames plans, I think they trade him around the trade deadline to recoup some of the assets used to acquire him.
I think if the Flames view themselves as contenders they keep Hamonic as a self rental. Otherwise they're just trading whatever assets they get for help on D anyway. It's not like he's an elite player anyway. A #4D is an okay piece to lose to UFA if you think you have a chance at a deep playoff run.

Reactions: viper0220

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
I could see a prospect & pick for a guy like Leddy or a prospect for guy like Mayfield. Can’t see Ehlers being involved in any trade talks b/c the return would be too high for the other team to accept.
We dont need picks / prospects, just saying.

We aren't just giving away defense-men

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad