Post-Game Talk: Jets def. Canucks | 4-2 (Juulsen, Myers) | Wherefore art thou, PP?

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Really unfair about Juulsen

The PP goals were not his fault. The pinch would have been fine if Garland carried on back with his check it happened fast and they missed the puck and both got caught it wasn't just Juulsen who made a mistake some serious skill on display as well as Connor sold a slot pass that Myers had to try and defend and then he was in no mans land. Should he have held back in hindsight yes.

The 4th goal was definitely him getting caught out of position and then beat to the far post. Considering he scored earlier i don't think it was as much a negative night as people seem to be saying.

I thought Hronek had more egregious defensive errors as a bunch of plays wen't through his stick and area that he needs to disrupt or block and just got lucky on a few of them that Demko made the saves

Forwards weren't good enough and need to get screens and be harder to the net. Boeser Mikhayev need to get it going and there was some missed opportunities one by Hoglander on a late one timer and Miller on the back post both set up from Pettersson. Suter looks like he's not adding much to the Miller line against the better teams. Really need to find a way to get someone who can help the pace of the wings on that line and stop asking Miller to do everything.

DekeyPete

Dec 18, 2002
pg bc
I think Winnipeg played cheap and physical when the canucks were playing hockey, then it reversed and the canucks were too worried about physicality and stopped playing hockey.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Look at the units
1st unit
Petty,Miller,Boeser,Lindholm,Hughes
2nd unit
Blueger, Mikheyev, Suter,Garland,Hronek
Switch it up
Petty,
Lindholm,Hoglander,Hughes Hronek
Miller,Boeser,Blueger, Garland,Myers

imo the big lesson from 2011 is you have to give your guys different combinations over the season and in practice, so you can change things up when a line or pairing or unit runs cold or stops working or inevitably when injuries hit

unless they are hot and converting at a high clip there’s no reason why we shouldn’t routinely be trying hronek on the first unit every third or fourth opportunity, swapping out boeser or lindholm. give them the reps, show the opposition another look to keep them on their toes.

because remember when rome got that game misconduct and our d pairs spent the rest of the series swimming? or when raymond got hurt and we ended up hemorrhaging four goals that period?

Reactions: calnuck

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Why is Myers calling out the refs? Boy has been ass water for years but all of a sudden he feels like he’s Superman?

Back to Kelowna you go

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
i dont give Juuslen a pass for that last night.
I had some time to relax, i fixed the hole in the wall i punched... slept and ate something. Then re-watched the last two goals.
Juulsen stepped up and laid a guy out, BUT there were two attackers on his right and one to his left. He knows his Dpartner has the pass and he SHOULD know that if he steps up that ONE of the two attackers will get by him and if the puck squeeks by its now a 2 or possibly 3 on 1.
It's not the Dman's job to assume the back-checking winger will cover for him. If it was the center, then you can maybe assume that but not the winger, who generally would be covering high ice.
BAD READ.
then....on the second one there... he just made a bad read.....AGAIN. It was the same error but this time he didnt even land the hit.

Van needs Hughes, Hronek, Soucey, Zadorov, Myers, new guy via Trade and Cole as their Number 7. Juulsen can play No.8.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
i dont give Juuslen a pass for that last night.
I had some time to relax, i fixed the hole in the wall i punched... slept and ate something. Then re-watched the last two goals.
Juulsen stepped up and laid a guy out, BUT there were two attackers on his right and one to his left. He knows his Dpartner has the pass and he SHOULD know that if he steps up that ONE of the two attackers will get by him and if the puck squeeks by its now a 2 or possibly 3 on 1.
It's not the Dman's job to assume the back-checking winger will cover for him. If it was the center, then you can maybe assume that but not the winger, who generally would be covering high ice.
BAD READ.
then....on the second one there... he just made a bad read.....AGAIN. It was the same error but this time he didnt even land the hit.

Van needs Hughes, Hronek, Soucey, Zadorov, Myers, new guy via Trade and Cole as their Number 7. Juulsen can play No.8.
From what I saw on that play..Juulsen probably shouldn't have committed to the hit..but conversely, the back checking/ coverage from the Canuck forwards was seriously out to lunch..There was a swarm of Jets forwards, and all of our guys were on the back foot...Garland was one of the forwards in that mess up.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Thought this was an interesting iMac tweet:

Sort of an Auger thing but probably less "you embarassed me so I'm gonna get you" and more "I am more focused on you". Doubly suspect given that Hoglander's penalties were pretty borderline, and he also got a supplemental fine anyway.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Lol who the f*** is Ken Henderson?

They have 80 points. Wow neat that the numbers dip vs better teams. Curious if Ken has progressed beyond intramurals in his sporting career.

Sweaty Neckbeard. .
While I love the humour and anger in your reply, isn't this what posters accuse other fans as copium?

It's fine to disagree, but there's a lot of bounces that have gone the Canucks way this season and there's helpful things to learn from losses. Blaming the scheduling, reffing, injuries or beer farts, while reasonable, won't help the team when things are difficult in the playoffs.

I doubt the players and coaches are as forgiving as a few here seem to be, so it's odd how riled up we get when anyone criticises a loss.

Reactions: HairyKneel

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
While I love the humour and anger in your reply, isn't this what posters accuse other fans as copium?

It's fine to disagree, but there's a lot of bounces that have gone the Canucks way this season and there's helpful things to learn from losses. Blaming the scheduling, reffing, injuries or beer farts, while reasonable, won't help the team when things are difficult in the playoffs.

I doubt the players and coaches are as forgiving as a few here seem to be, so it's odd how riled up we get when anyone criticises a loss.
Don’t confuse anger with sarcasm.

• Love
Reactions: quat

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
the fact that Imac makes that statement is pretty bad. We shouldnt have to be talking about make up calls and ego's if your doing your job properly

The NHl needs to provide more tools for the refs to make the proper calls and the ones that are bad and inject ego's need to be replaced

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
A anemic powerplay will lose you games or many games. The lethargic powerplay is unacceptable, and they always seem to be standings still. For the amount of firepower the Canucks have, you would think the Canucks wouldn't have such difficulty on with the man advantage. I'd like to see more movement on the PP, maybe switch the lines up a bit.

The reffing was atrocious but we had our chances to capitalize, we just ran into a hot goaltender who played better than ours.

Oh well, learn from your mistakes and move on.

Feb 20, 2013
Really fun game to watch. Two good teams, fast pace, physicality, and a playoff atmosphere. I hope that this was a preview of the Western Conference Final, and one that the Canucks would be favorites in if last night was any indication.

Despite the loss, the Canucks played really well and controlled the game at 5-on-5. The Jets were very physical, which was a dimension we have not seen much from the opposition and I thought the response was excellent.

After a late hit on Hughes by Namestikov which provoked a good response from Hronek, the game defining incident was the Lowry hit on Aman. This was a clear boarding penalty (that was missed) because Lowry comes in blindside and targets the head with his hands, but probably not bad enough to be reviewed and given a major. Give PDG full credit for immediately jumping to Aman's aide because Lowry is twice his size. Great response, and the type of thing that will keep him in the lineup. Very soft instigator penalty and the Canucks were very unfortunate to come out on the PK after that.

This sequence really set the tone for the night and much more important than the scoreline was the Canucks' response. They did not back down against a larger Jets team. Despite the loss, that was the sort of game that will unite a locker room, and if the response from PDG is any indication the Canucks are a tight group, which will bode them well come playoff time.

With where they are in the standings, at this point the Canucks can afford to throw away a couple of points to assert themselves physically, so I am completely fine with the result. If anyone tries to take a run at Hughes/Pettersson again in the regular season, I would prefer to the Canucks focus on retribution rather than winning (as in not worrying about putting themselves on the PK) for the rest of the game since it will send the message that the star players are off-limits come playoff time.

With their lead in the standings, it is also the time of year that the Canucks should be rotating players, especially in back-to-back situations. Both Bains and Podkolzin deserve a look in the top 6 to see if/how they might fit in for the playoffs and I don't think it would be crazy to sit the likes of Miller, Boeser, or Pettersson for them with the aim of keeping them freshest for the playoffs. I would also like to see Friedman come in at times to let Myers have some PP time and give Hughes/Hronek a rest. Incremental gains matter, and it is almost guaranteed that these depth pieces will have a part to play in a long playoff push.

By the same token I don't mind the PP1 tinkering even if it hasn't been scoring much. Let them take all the regular season time they need to get it right so that it is firing on all cylinders come playoff time.

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015
If you can't beat them in the alley you can't beat them on the ice. Conn Smythe is still right and until the Canucks reach that point they won't last long with the heavyweights like Vegas and Winnipeg. An all Swede line which is nice during the regular season will get mangled come playoff time. Thankfully management and the coaching staff realize this and are taking steps to improve the lack of jam. More work to do though.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
I think we’ve all lost sight of the biggest issue with this game, which is why the hell wasnt Shorty calling it?!

At least it wasn’t listening to Singh call the Oilers. But damnit, that blew.
I wondered that myself. I’m surprised they didn’t jam Jack Michaels down our throats. To me Shorty is #2 in the league. We have been blessed since day 1 of the franchise with PBP announcers. Couple of clunkers doing color in Walter and Monahan. Thomlinsen has the personality of a wet mop. Larscheid and Cheech were homers but they were good color guys.

Maybe Shorty took the long weekend off?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Not interested in what we have on paper if the results don't show.
I'm expecting Canucks to be a top team that can beat other top teams, not be like other top teams that have disappointing losses. That's how you become a top team and be disappointed during playoffs.
These takes are so bad. Just…so bad and over-reactionary. The Canucks have beat other top teams. They’ve also lost against top teams. That’s how sports work.

If you truly think the Canucks are only beating bottom feeders, you haven’t been paying attention.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I think Winnipeg played cheap and physical when the canucks were playing hockey, then it reversed and the canucks were too worried about physicality and stopped playing hockey.
This was a game where the Canucks sorely missed Dakota Joshua......and to a lesser extent, they could have used a guy on the back end like Carson Soucy.

Two of the Canucks, biggest and most physical players. If nothing else, they'd have dished out legit physical punishment on the Jets, without taking undisciplined penalties. Both guys can't return fast enough.

Reactions: DekeyPete

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
After this clunker, there's no excuse for not giving Bains a game.....I mean how much worse can it get?

They're on the tough end of a back-to-back in Denver tomorrow night--another building that hasn't been kind to the Canucks over the years. They need fresh bodies.

Bains in, either Di Giuseppe or Lafferty, out.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I like tocchets mindset of not putting Demko in

Dig yourself out
That’s how Demko got hurt under Boudreau when he never had days rest as he put him in twice for Halak and he had some stupid stat about consecutive games played

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad