Confirmed with Link: Jets claim Anthony Peluso off waivers from STL

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer
A good pick-up by the Winnipeg Jets claiming Anthony Peluso on waivers. Peluso is a 4th line banger like Nolan/King ready to make the jump

Well this is encouraging at least.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
I know Thorburn probably isn't in the long term plans, but I really like him. I think he's also one of the most well liked Jets in the locker room. Burmistrov said Thorburn really helped cheer him up and feel comfortable when he went through his slump last summer, he and Kane have been playfully chirping one another on Twitter recently and even Ladd made fun of him last year in one of the Cabbie specials.

I'd hate to lose him, even if it saves the team a little bit of money.

devin1487

Dec 27, 2006
Winnipeg
Please tell me I'm reading this wrong. You're not saying that we're supposed to play this guy 10 minutes per game, are you?

Christ no haha sorry, that was very poorly worded

All I meant was at most he would be required to play 10 minutes in a game as a ceiling for a 4th liner. More likely the 3-6 minutes many tough 4th liners get.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
There was some talk (probably nonsense rumours) last year that the Habs wanted Thorburn.

Thorbs for PK Subban! Make it happen!

What if the Jets did PK for Bogo and Thorbs? Would people be mad?

Yes. Bogosian is a full year younger than Subban and imo a better player.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Well this is encouraging at least.

Granted, I don't know anything about this guy, so what I'm saying is purely based on stats. But I don't really see how Peluso is like King or Nolan there. Nolan's AHL high is 22 points in 40 games. King's is 52 points. Peluso hasn't cracked 10 in one season.

I'm all for big brutes, but I want them to have some skill too.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
If we needed warm bodies in case of injuries, surely we could have done better than this guy.

These are just some of the forwards who were waived in the last few days:

Patrick Maroon
Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblonde
Marc-Andre Cliche
Stefan Legein
Zach Hamill
Matt Clackson
Michael Haley
TJ Hensick
Brett Sonne

And yet we chose to claim ANTHONY PELUSO?

I imagine that guy gets waived just to cut down on administrative / logistical fees ...

Beavski24

Aug 10, 2012
Calgary
I dont really like this signing if we were going to get a tough guy get george parros or someone who can score, or konopka would have been good( for his faceoffs) I hope this guy doesnt crack our line up trade him to florda and get selleck!

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Can you trade a player you've claimed on waivers?

Yes, as long as you offer him to the other teams who tried making a waiver claim on him (if any other teams did).

From the CBA:
A Player who has been acquired by Waiver claim shall not be Traded to
another Club until the termination of Playoffs of the season in which he was acquired
unless he is first offered on the same terms to the Club(s) that entered a claim when
Waivers were requested originally and the offer has been refused.

Its unclear how the same terms can be offered when another player is involced.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Whatever. If the Jets want a fighter to play 13th forward lets see if it works out. If it doesn't we waive him. Its not a big deal.

jetkarma*

Thorburn: 29 years old, $866,667, UFA 2014-15

Peluso: 23 years old, $605,000, RFA 2013-14

If they are suppose to have the same roll, Peluso comes cheaper and is a lot younger.

We will see when the Jets give an interview.

Bottom line , and not saying we do or should have one , but IF Wpg. feels the need for a real physical , tough guy , Thorburn isn't that guy imo. If he can swing from RW to D , that is a plus , minor signing , no assets used ....and it appears he does one thing very well , and we currently don't have anyone that does that one thing imo.

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
Peluso is a good enforcer and can play on the 4line without looking out of place. Its probably the best hockey player enforcer in the ahl (if that make sens). Can easy become a Thornton clone if you developpe him correcly.

Sorry for the errors, i'm french..........

jetkarma*

I know Thorburn probably isn't in the long term plans, but I really like him. I think he's also one of the most well liked Jets in the locker room. Burmistrov said Thorburn really helped cheer him up and feel comfortable when he went through his slump last summer, he and Kane have been playfully chirping one another on Twitter recently and even Ladd made fun of him last year in one of the Cabbie specials.

I'd hate to lose him, even if it saves the team a little bit of money.

He seems like a great team guy , but he is a guy you are looking to replace if he is a top 12 forward imo. Not saying Peluso is the guy to replace him , but Thorburn doesn't do any one or two things well enough to be a plus player again imo.

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011
Why is everybody freiking out about this? Has anyone seen him play?

We are comparing AHL stats for guys that have potentially played D and/or forward? If the guy is no good, ship him out (Blues or whoever claim him back), or he goes to the rock.

Or, he could turn out to be a player that is responsible and can generate some energy? Why on earth does every move have to be part of some "blueprint"...short season, everyone scrambling right now...not really that concerned over this.

Just my thoughts.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
even then, its only a "good" move if you assume we're shipping out thorburn. which leaves me with who trades for thorburn?

Nodl's on waivers, being blown up by bogo aside, he's a capable depth twf, why not grab him (very mittens esq actually, Two way forward but not necessarily "grindy")

Thorburn could be the throw in on a bigger trade. I doubt PK is coming here...especially for the money he's probably expecting.

There's something else afoot here. Mark my words.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind acquiring David Booth for some depth pieces after his off year and injuries. Just a thought.

jetkarma*

Going by that above tweet, it appears Peluso isn't signed to play with the Ice Caps.

Confusing. We seemed to have just signed a player off waivers for a role in which is already filled by Thorburn.

Ladd, Little, Wheeler, Kane, Jokinen, Wellwood, Antropov, Ponikarovsky, Burmistrov, Slater, Thorburn, Machacek, Scheifele, Peluso with an injured Miettinen to begin the year.

Too many? .. a bit confused. Don't see the point or need for Peluso with our roster as it stands right now, and why not call up one of our own young guys if we need a warm body? Unless there is an injury we don't yet know about, or a trade for a defenceman in which we're dealing a forward. Doubt it though.

Here is a thought , Thorburn was playing LW , maybe the Jets still envision that with Peluso as the RW ?

jetkarma*

Thorburn could be the throw in on a bigger trade. I doubt PK is coming here...especially for the money he's probably expecting.

There's something else afoot here. Mark my words.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind acquiring David Booth for some depth pieces after his off year and injuries. Just a thought.

Booth has been injured more than being healthy , can't see WPG. offering what Vancouver would need to make that trade.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Peluso is a good enforcer and can play on the 4line without looking out of place. Its probably the best hockey player enforcer in the ahl (if that make sens). Can easy become a Thornton clone if you developpe him correcly.

Sorry for the errors, i'm french..........

That's cool. I won't hold being French against you. :)

Thanks for the insights. I wonder if he has any PK value. Thorburn really doesn't.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Booth has been injured more than being healthy , can't see WPG. offering what Vancouver would need to make that trade.

He's a bit of a reclamation project, I'll give you, but he's slot into the second line with Ladd and Little(in the future) and create a very good two way line

I do get your point. With no Booth they have poor Mason Raymond all alone on the second line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad