Confirmed with Link: Jets claim Anthony Peluso off waivers from STL

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Hey guys Blues fan here, just to clear up some confusion, he has played D and RW for the Rivermen, but mostly RW as of late, I believe he started as D and moved to winger. Anyways, he's not a great hockey player but mainly just a tough guy who will drop the mitts with just about anyone.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
My guess is they consider him an upgrade over Max who was skating on that line...a zero risk move... I trust their ability to find players

How is he an upgrade over Maceneaur? all he can do is punch faces...
if they want a useless face puncher put Sol on forwards on the 4th line...

:rant:I'm friggin angry
All of the summers FA were perfect... yet today... ugh
I just hope Jaffray and Peluso don't see an NHL game under a Jets' jersey

devin1487

Dec 27, 2006
Winnipeg
How is he an upgrade over Maceneaur? all he can do is punch faces...
if they want a useless face puncher put Sol on forwards on the 4th line...

:rant:I'm friggin angry
All of the summers FA were perfect... yet today... ugh
I just hope Jaffray and Peluso don't see an NHL game under a Jets' jersey

Best judge the book by its cover right?

He's a big boy who will need to play upwards of 10 minutes a game

As for Jaf, that type of contract is what builds solid relationships with players. Although I am assuming that it'd be as much to give him a bit of a bump in pay and get him off St. J's books

Nothing Is New

Sep 26, 2011
Lets be clear. Peluso is very tough - one of there toughest in the AHL - maybe pro hockey. He is a different critter than Thorburn - a decent player who is decently tough.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Here's a thought -- just spitballing. St. John's needs some toughness, as our friends down there were pointing out. Maybe they asked St. Louis if they claimed him and tried to send him down if they would claim him back and they said no?

It's the only thing that makes one iota of sense to me.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Thorburn: 29 years old, $866,667, UFA 2014-15

Peluso: 23 years old, $605,000, RFA 2013-14

If they are suppose to have the same roll, Peluso comes cheaper and is a lot younger.

We will see when the Jets give an interview.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Here's a thought -- just spitballing. St. John's needs some toughness, as our friends down there were pointing out. Maybe they asked St. Louis if they claimed him and tried to send him down if they would claim him back and they said no?

There are rules in place to stop this. In fact it was because the Jets 1.0 and Philadelphia pulled some kind of "put players on waivers and reclaim them" deal back in the day.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Thorburn: 29 years old, $866,667, UFA 2014-15

Peluso: 23 years old, $605,000, RFA 2013-14

If they are suppose to have the same roll, Peluso comes cheaper and is a lot younger.

We will see when the Jets give an interview.

Right, but Thorburn is under contract and is getting paid either way so the fact Peluso is cheaper is meaningless.

Not to mention by the sounds of it Thorburn is a more talented hockey player. Considering the back to back games in a shortened season and the need to play 4 lines, Thorburn makes far more sense.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Best judge the book by its cover right?

He's a big boy who will need to play upwards of 10 minutes a game

As for Jaf, that type of contract is what builds solid relationships with players. Although I am assuming that it'd be as much to give him a bit of a bump in pay and get him off St. J's books

Please tell me I'm reading this wrong. You're not saying that we're supposed to play this guy 10 minutes per game, are you?

Dano64

Jul 17, 2010
exactly

Thorburn
Machacek
Stuart
Slater
Ladd
Kane
Jokinen!
can all hold there own in a fight (probably in reverse order of how often) and can play more than 6mins a game... eff

I agree with you that these guys can hold there own, except for Jokinen. I will say there is a lot of crap that goes on in the regular season and if certain players want to stir up trouble( like Thorton or Neil) I do not want these guys fighting them. Thorburn is not a good fighter and I would be fine having an enforcer, as long as he could at least skate.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005

Tim Campbell ‏@FPTimCampbell
#NHLJets have claimed RW Anthony Peluso from waivers, from #STLBlues; told it's not for the #IceCaps. #bn

Going by that above tweet, it appears Peluso isn't signed to play with the Ice Caps.

Confusing. We seemed to have just signed a player off waivers for a role in which is already filled by Thorburn.

Ladd, Little, Wheeler, Kane, Jokinen, Wellwood, Antropov, Ponikarovsky, Burmistrov, Slater, Thorburn, Machacek, Scheifele, Peluso with an injured Miettinen to begin the year.

Too many? .. a bit confused. Don't see the point or need for Peluso with our roster as it stands right now, and why not call up one of our own young guys if we need a warm body? Unless there is an injury we don't yet know about, or a trade for a defenceman in which we're dealing a forward. Doubt it though.

Last edited:

Gryph

Apr 3, 2009
Winnipeg
Because he was a young waiver wire acquisition, does that mean he has to be on the 23 man roster tomorrow or else he goes back on waivers? I understand if they are trying to sneak him to St.Johns but otherwise I'm very puzzled.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Because he was a young waiver wire acquisition, does that mean he has to be on the 23 man roster tomorrow or else he goes back on waivers? I understand if they are trying to sneak him to St.Johns but otherwise I'm very puzzled.

As far as I know he would have to clear waivers again if we were to try and send him to the Ice Caps.

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
If he goes back on the waiver wire, St. Louis will reclaim him, no doubt. Peluso is a decent hockey player, and he's probably the guy that would have been called up to the Blues if they needed someone on the fourth line.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Maybe there is a trade on the works and they needed to claim another depth forward to fill the void. He did the same with Clitsome before he traded Odyua.

Gryph

Apr 3, 2009
Winnipeg
As far as I know he would have to clear waivers again if we were to try and send him to the Ice Caps.

That's my understanding as well when I team tries to send a prospect to the AHL, either he sticks in the show or he goes back to former team. I think the only exception is when it's unconditional waivers (Gomez, Redden) and then the team can put the player wherever.

Who knows, there is still quite a bit that has not come out from the new CBA so maybe things changed.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
There was some talk (probably nonsense rumours) last year that the Habs wanted Thorburn.

Thorbs for PK Subban! Make it happen!

What if the Jets did PK for Bogo and Thorbs? Would people be mad?

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Maybe there is a trade on the works and they needed to claim another depth forward to fill the void. He did the same with Clitsome before he traded Odyua.

even then, its only a "good" move if you assume we're shipping out thorburn. which leaves me with who trades for thorburn?

Nodl's on waivers, being blown up by bogo aside, he's a capable depth twf, why not grab him (very mittens esq actually, Two way forward but not necessarily "grindy")

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
There was some talk (probably nonsense rumours) last year that the Habs wanted Thorburn.

Thorbs for PK Subban! Make it happen!

What if the Jets did PK for Bogo and Thorbs? Would people be mad?

i would be mad. i'd rather have bogo then pk.

thorbs and a first for pk!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad