Post-Game Talk: Jets beat the Mustard Kittens in OT 2-1

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
But you really aren’t talking about zone entry. It is speed through the neutral zone that backs off defenders that is the best and easiest way to gain zone entry. Ehlers is one of the best in the league and Connor and Scheifele also do it very well. A few years back Wheeler was also very good. Perfetti supports this well but usually depends on someone else’s speed to gain entry.
Perfetti is the primary option on pp2 on every zone entry and the reason is because he is good at it. Speed isn't the only way to gain a zone in hockey. Zone entries are a huge strength of his whether it be carrying it in, chipping to soft ice, or passing it. Hockey IQ is the biggest determining factor in zone entries and the reason he is good at it. You can be as fast as you want, if you are dumb and make poor decisions at the blue line you will continually turn the puck over. Perfetti doesn't turn the puck over and his success rate on controlled zone entries is very high and so is the PP's ability to set up when he has the puck through the neutral zone.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
This is a strange read. It's clearly a major strength of his, and a glaring weakness for everyone on the first powerplay unit for years. Though they have been doing better lately.
Entry zone is a major weakness? Perfetti is not really an entry zone driver he supports it well with hockey IQ but he is not the player pushing defenders back with speed.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
When Wheeler is playing good (which he has for many games this season) there isn’t really a spot for Cole. But bad Wheeler is a turn over machine on the PP. Cole is smarter on the PP than virtually every player on our team.

One issue is the position. Cole plays the left point/side on the PP and the Jets mainly use Scheifele & Ehlers (when available) there. But if Lowry is getting elevated then that is where they could have let Perfetti play instead.

That top unit has looked way more dangerous with Wheeler on it than when he wasn't. I would not take him off it. He is a proven performer in that role esp while 27 is hurt. I agree there is no spot for him on the top unit atleast not while it is still producing.

It is better for Perfetti to play on the 2nd unit anyways where he gets to run that PP and gets most puck touches as opposed to being shoe-horned in to the goal line role on the first unit where 55, 81 and 44 are always gonna get more puck touches and he will have a secondary role at best.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
It’s not all about speed, it’s also about that first pass decision. I saw Schief gain zone then make a bad decision and turn it over. Perfetti has a tendency to make a smarter first pass as other team converges.
I also hate when the team dumps it deep on pp instead of carrying it or passing it.

That's an odd read. Scheifele is one the best on the Jets when it comes to decision making with the puck upon taking the blue line. Whenever I see 55 cross the blue line with the puck I have full confidence that he is going to make a decent decision with the puck that will maintain the possibility of offensive zone pressure. Ofcourse a player like 55 who has the puck on his stick as much as 55 does is going to turn it over every once in a while, that's part of the process.

There is nothing wrong with dumping the puck on the PP if the puck carrier is being pressured, you have the man advantage so in theory have a better chance of recovering the dump in based on the numbers advantage as long as the dump is done with a purpose and a plan.

Last edited:

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
That top unit has looked way more dangerous with Wheeler on it than when he wasn't. I would not take him off it. He is a proven performer in that role esp while 27 is hurt. I agree there is no spot for him on the top unit atleast not while it is still producing.

It is better for Perfetti to play on the 2nd unit anyways where he gets to run that PP and gets most puck touches as opposed to being shoe-horned in to the goal line role on the first unit where 55, 81 and 44 are always gonna get more puck touches and he will have a secondary role at best.
The power play has definitely looked better this season with him on it, but, then you are comparing him to Gagner and Lowry. I disagree about how Perfetti, the best playmaker on the team looks better on a second power play unit with no sniper.
Yes changing the configuration to having play run through him and having Kfc or schief beneath the goal line. But he should have a primary role. I haven’t seen much playmaking from schief on pp and it mostly falls on kfc who is also the best sniper.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
That's an odd read. Scheifele is one the best on the Jets when it comes to decision making with the puck upon taking the blue line. Whenever I see 55 cross the blue line with the puck I have full confidence that he is going to make a decent decision with the puck that will maintain the possibility of offensive zone pressure. Ofcourse a player like 55 who has the puck on his stick as much as 55 does is going to turn it over every once in a while, that's part of the process. There is nothing wrong with dumping the puck on the PP if the puck carrier is being pressured, you have the man advantage so in theory have a better chance of recovering the dump in based on the numbers advantage as long as the dump is done with a purpose and a plan.
I disagree. I trust Connor’s decision making more. There were a number of times last game schief turned puck over at their blue line. I also disagree with you about dumping. So often the other team retrieves it and it’s a wasted opportunity. If you have the numbers you should never hold onto puck long enough that they can converge as there should always be someone open.
Also, I have seen a lot more cross seam passes for one timers for goals from 81 to 55 than vice versa. Like Schief’s 2nd of 3 goals the other night.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
That's an odd read. Scheifele is one the best on the Jets when it comes to decision making with the puck upon taking the blue line. Whenever I see 55 cross the blue line with the puck I have full confidence that he is going to make a decent decision with the puck that will maintain the possibility of offensive zone pressure. Ofcourse a player like 55 who has the puck on his stick as much as 55 does is going to turn it over every once in a while, that's part of the process. There is nothing wrong with dumping the puck on the PP if the puck carrier is being pressured, you have the man advantage so in theory have a better chance of recovering the dump in based on the numbers advantage as long as the dump is done with a purpose and a plan.
Have you forgotten the past 3 years of Scheifele skating it over the blue line on the powerplay and A) dumping it when nobody's chasing B) passing laterally into a group of players from both teams to nobody in particular and losing it, or C) trying to go through the whole team himself and losing it? This season I agree, he's been good. The whole team has been a lot better.

Entry zone is a major weakness? Perfetti is not really an entry zone driver he supports it well with hockey IQ but he is not the player pushing defenders back with speed.
Yeah I don't know what to say here other than we're seeing different things. Speed isn't the only thing that makes a zone entry successful. Watch Patrick Kane or Kucherov with their zone entries, it's more about controlling speed and knowing your outlets which Perfetti does better than anybody on the team.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
The power play has definitely looked better this season with him on it, but, then you are comparing him to Gagner and Lowry. I disagree about how Perfetti, the best playmaker on the team looks better on a second power play unit with no sniper.
Yes changing the configuration to having play run through him and having Kfc or schief beneath the goal line. But he should have a primary role. I haven’t seen much playmaking from schief on pp and it mostly falls on kfc who is also the best sniper.
I don't think the 1st unit is an issue with the Jets PP. They are able to get in and generate enough scoring chances. With that unit on the ice the Jets are 9.79 xGF/60 which is good enough for ~6th best in the league. The 2nd unit is the one that has trouble generating. If the Jets want to improve the PP they should focus on giving that top unit a larger share of the PP icetime rather than juggling personnel ateast while Ehlers is out.

Scheifele leads the Jets on he PP in onice GF/60, xGF/60 and Shots/60 so a bit odd to diminish his role.

There is no reason to give a rookie who hasn't even produced much on PP2 to be given PP1 icetime, esp not at the expense of a player like Wheeler who is producing in that role. The only way it would be reasonable to elevate him is if either a) he is lights out on the 2nd unit or b) there is an injury on the top unit or c) the top unit is stinking up the joint or d) someone is clearly dogging it and struggling on that unit- neither of those 4 things is true.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Have you forgotten the past 3 years of Scheifele skating it over the blue line on the powerplay and A) dumping it when nobody's chasing B) passing laterally into a group of players from both teams to nobody in particular and losing it, or C) trying to go through the whole team himself and losing it? This season I agree, he's been good. The whole team has been a lot better.

I am more focused on the current season than problems of past seasons. :) 55 has been one the best Jets this season by my eye at gaining the zone (both on the PP and at 5v5). He started making Wheeler and Perfetti look great since moving onto their line, mainly by assisting with that transition game, something they were having trouble with when PLD was on that line.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I don't think the 1st unit is an issue with the Jets PP. They are able to get in and generate enough scoring chances. With that unit on the ice the Jets are 9.79 xGF/60 which is good enough for ~6th best in the league. The 2nd unit is the one that has trouble generating. If the Jets want to improve the PP they should focus on giving that top unit a larger share of the PP icetime rather than juggling personnel ateast while Ehlers is out.

Scheifele leads the Jets in onice GF/60, xGF/60 and Shots/60 so a bit odd to diminish his role.

There is no reason to give a rookie who hasn't even produced much on PP2 to be given PP1 icetime, esp not at the expense of a player like Wheeler who is producing in that role. The only way it would be reasonable to elevate him is if either a) he is lights out on the 2nd unit or b) there is an injury on the top unit or c) the top unit is stinking up the joint or d) someone is clearly dogging it and struggling on that unit- neither of those 4 things is true.
Of course he’s leading team in shots he’s playing with 2 playmakers. Also you are saying Perfetti is not producing on 2nd pp. Yes, that’s because he’s a playmaker without a sniper so that’s an odd take.

Also Schief plays with 2 legit top 6 forwards who prefer passing vs say Pld where it’s him Connor and Gagner? Essiymont? Barron?

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Of course he’s leading team in shots he’s playing with 2 playmakers. Also you are saying Perfetti is not producing on 2nd pp. Yes, that’s because he’s a playmaker without a sniper so that’s an odd take.

Also Schief plays with 2 legit top 6 forwards who prefer passing vs say Pld where it’s him Connor and Gagner? Essiymont? Barron?

But you are proposing the Jets take out a guy from the top unit who is producing and replace him with a guy from the 2nd unit who isn't producing (regardless of the circumstances) which would also result in having reconfigure the entire PP due to change in player role and player handedness... all this accomodation to make a change on a unit that is performing decently. That kind of attitude was exactly the kind of thing that was roundly critisized in the Maurice era where decisions were not being made primarily on performance and merit.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
But you are proposing the Jets take out a guy from the top unit who is producing and replace him with a guy from the 2nd unit who isn't producing (regardless of the circumstances) which would also result in having reconfigure the entire PP due to change in player role and player handedness... all this accomodation to make a change on a unit that is performing decently. That kind of attitude was exactly the kind of thing that was roundly critisized in the Maurice era where decisions were not being made primarily on performance and merit.
I am making a suggestion because there have been some games are pp looked awful. I was at the Washington game where they not only didn’t score on a 4 minute pp but got scored on.
Regardless of the circumstances? It’s all about the circumstances. Also, there have been many games our pp struggled with zone entry and ppl were like if only Ehlers was back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad