Post-Game Talk: Jets beat the Mustard Kittens in OT 2-1

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
He had another really strong game. I'm not focusing on one shift.
He (PLD) essentially stopped playing when there were only 3 players on the ice.
He had 2 chances to safely make a line change and for some reason refused to.
I'm not complaining about his over all game but that kind of decision/non-action can lead to a loss real easily.

If his skate had an issue which it sort of appeared that it did (the way he looked at it and the way it slid out from under him a couple of times) then he should have been desperate to get off the ice.

PLD can be a dominant player at times and we need him to be good all the time.
I just wonder what the coaches thought of that shift?

Snowboy

Oct 12, 2013
Heinola called up as Schmidt may be out for a while, come on Heinola please play as good as alot of us hoped you would. And if i was Jets brass i would be sending video of the hit to head office.
I think he may emerge this time around, he's too skilled. His last two games with the jets, he played very tentatively concentrating on defence too much (it was drilled into him). he needs to let loose and play his game and be put on the power play.......for an extended period of time. I feel he has never really been given a fair chance because of his size, however, extra time on the Moose may now pay dividends.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I think he may emerge this time around, he's too skilled. His last two games with the jets, he played very tentatively concentrating on defence too much (it was drilled into him). he needs to let loose and play his game and be put on the power play.......for an extended period of time. I feel he has never really been given a fair chance because of his size, however, extra time on the Moose may now pay dividends.
No guarantees he even gets pp time now. Perfetti didn’t get bumped to 1st unit.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Zone time should be incorporated into NHL standard statistics reporting. It says a lot about game control especially with disparate numbers. I don't know why it's not. I think teams count it. A good question for Bones.

They post it often enough on broadcasts that the data must be available somewhere.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Considering Dillon replaced Schmidt on PP2 I'd be very surprised if Heinola wasn't used. Him and Perfetti had their way on the powerplay in the AHL from those spots.
Unfortunately, that would also require Bones to use Perfetti effectively on the PP.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
No guarantees he even gets pp time now. Perfetti didn’t get bumped to 1st unit.
Not sure exactly how perfetti and Heinola relate.

Who should Perfetti replace? He's not better than any of the fwds on pp1 and unless they go 5 fwds, Morrissey will be there.

Like I said, not sure exactly how that relates to Heinola's inclusion on the pp.
Theyre down a pp dman in Schmidt. Pp2 commonly runs with 2 dmen. So between Dillon, samberg or heinola, heinola offers the most on the pp id say. There's little offensive upside in the other two.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
He (PLD) essentially stopped playing when there were only 3 players on the ice.
He had 2 chances to safely make a line change and for some reason refused to.
I'm not complaining about his over all game but that kind of decision/non-action can lead to a loss real easily.

If his skate had an issue which it sort of appeared that it did (the way he looked at it and the way it slid out from under him a couple of times) then he should have been desperate to get off the ice.

PLD can be a dominant player at times and we need him to be good all the time.
I just wonder what the coaches thought of that shift?

The shift in question:

I actually didn't notice him after the giveaway and didn't realize how bad the rest of the shift was until you pointed it out. You are right, an extremely bizarre shift, almost has to be an equipment issue or twisting something.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Not sure exactly how perfetti and Heinola relate.

Who should Perfetti replace? He's not better than any of the fwds on pp1 and unless they go 5 fwds, Morrissey will be there.

Like I said, not sure exactly how that relates to Heinola's inclusion on the pp.
Theyre down a pp dman in Schmidt. Pp2 commonly runs with 2 dmen. So between Dillon, samberg or heinola, heinola offers the most on the pp id say. There's little offensive upside in the other two.

I think he was talking about when Wheeler missed two pp's in the second because he was injured and our coach elected to put Gagner and Lowry on ahead of him.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I think he was talking about when Wheeler missed two pp's in the second because he was injured and our coach elected to put Gagner and Lowry on ahead of him.
I see. Still don't see how it relates with heinola replacing the injured pp dmen next game. Bowness said he's a pp guy. Pp guy hurt, pp Guy in.

Reactions: surixon

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
When Wheeler is playing good (which he has for many games this season) there isn’t really a spot for Cole. But bad Wheeler is a turn over machine on the PP. Cole is smarter on the PP than virtually every player on our team.

One issue is the position. Cole plays the left point/side on the PP and the Jets mainly use Scheifele & Ehlers (when available) there. But if Lowry is getting elevated then that is where they could have let Perfetti play instead.

Reactions: kellhunter

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
When Wheeler is playing good (which he has for many games this season) there isn’t really a spot for Cole. But bad Wheeler is a turn over machine on the PP. Cole is smarter on the PP than virtually every player on our team.

One issue is the position. Cole plays the left point/side on the PP and the Jets mainly use Scheifele & Ehlers (when available) there. But if Lowry is getting elevated then that is where they could have let Perfetti play instead.
I disagree, I think Cole is a better playmaker than any of those guys so there should always be a spot for him.
They also don’t need Ehlers zone entry with Perfetti who is the second best at zone entry of guys mentioned.

Reactions: Stumbledore

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I disagree, I think Cole is a better playmaker than any of those guys so there should always be a spot for him.
They also don’t need Ehlers zone entry with Perfetti who is the second best at zone entry of guys mentioned.
I’m the one who has posted that Cole needs to be on the 1st PP. I don’t know how they shift bodies/roles to make that happen but he would be in my top 5 of guys for PP1.

He also needs more OT shifts. That extra space is where he can really excel.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I’m the one who has posted that Cole needs to be on the 1st PP. I don’t know how they shift bodies/roles to make that happen but he would be in my top 5 of guys for PP1.

He also needs more OT shifts. That extra space is where he can really excel.
How they do that is drop Pld lower kfc can also go to the front more as he used to get lots of deflection goals. Cole to KFC’s spot and kfc to Wheeler’s spot.
Kfc, cole, Schief, pld, morrissey.
I hope he could excel in OT he got a shift last game. I’d be a bit worried about his speed.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
What are you basing Perfetti’s zone entry on? I think he is a budding star but skating speed is the area he still needs to develop and his zone entry is still behind our faster forwards from what I can see and most metrics I’ve seen would support that.

Reactions: Inanna

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
What are you basing Perfetti’s zone entry on? I think he is a budding star but skating speed is the area he still needs to develop and his zone entry is still behind our faster forwards from what I can see and most metrics I’ve seen would support that.
It’s not all about speed, it’s also about that first pass decision. I saw Schief gain zone then make a bad decision and turn it over. Perfetti has a tendency to make a smarter first pass as other team converges.
I also hate when the team dumps it deep on pp instead of carrying it or passing it.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

You don't need to necessarily skate it in to gain zone entries. Perfetti uses a combination of skating, passing, puck placement to gain zone entries with control. He's always had elite Microstats in zone entries and exits. I don't have the micro stats from this year but by my eye test he's one of the best on the team in those areas.

Reactions: kellhunter

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It’s not all about speed, it’s also about that first pass decision. I saw Schief gain zone then make a bad decision and turn it over. Perfetti has a tendency to make a smarter first pass as other team converges.
I also hate when the team dumps it deep on pp instead of carrying it or passing it.
But you really aren’t talking about zone entry. It is speed through the neutral zone that backs off defenders that is the best and easiest way to gain zone entry. Ehlers is one of the best in the league and Connor and Scheifele also do it very well. A few years back Wheeler was also very good. Perfetti supports this well but usually depends on someone else’s speed to gain entry.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
This is a strange read. It's clearly a major strength of his, and a glaring weakness for everyone on the first powerplay unit for years. Though they have been doing better lately.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad