Post-Game Talk: Jets beat the Mustard Kittens in OT 2-1

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Nashville’s coach apparently goes to the Darryl Sutter school of hooking, slashing, and infractions. Nice to get the win. Sucks to see the Preds steal one, but awesome performance. Woohoo!

Time to go finish my final paper of the semester …
Glad to see you're starting at 10:43 pm. All the best papers are written after 11 pm.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I only caught bits of the game, but that ot shift reminded me of his last game in Columbus. Not good.

Hope you're right. But I don't see a star top 6er.
So you missed the part where the Jets were playing without passion, and PLD drove the net, almost scored, and dusted it up afterwards which completely changed the game.

Not calling you out specifically but people are trying super hard to find fault with Dubie right now. He's been mostly excellent this year

If the Jets did the reverse - hmm. So for example: if the Jets traded a first rounder and a fourth rounder, plus a roster player and lost in the FIRST ROUND of the playoffs, they would be burned at the stake. And imagine if the guy they traded for ended up playing on the 4th line - would that be burned at the steak, but with extra steak sauce?

In professional sports, results matter. The Rangers got an excellent result with Copp, especially since they weren't expected to get where they did. A lot of playoff Revenue $, plus goodwill with the fans. Who the hell knows what result they would have gotten without him - no one. And if the only measure of 'they didn't win' means 'they didn't win the cup', then I guess the Jets are in a glass house and shouldn't be throwing stones about deadline deals.
I'll just say I'm glad you're not or GM and leave it at that

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
They got robbed.

If the Jets did the reverse they would be burned at the stake.

Copp was a solid contributor for the rags but you have to measure the impact he had. Would they have gotten as far without him?

At the end of the day they didn't win and the Jets parlayed a player that was leaving in FA for a bona-fide NHLer with lots of team control and a player that has the skillset to be a star top 6 scorer for years to come.
The Rangers got a few weeks of valuable attention in a crowded NYC sports media market in which they’re usually an afterthought. It worked out fine all round.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
If the Jets did the reverse - hmm. So for example: if the Jets traded a first rounder and a fourth rounder, plus a roster player and lost in the FIRST ROUND of the playoffs, they would be burned at the stake. And imagine if the guy they traded for ended up playing on the 4th line - would that be burned at the steak, but with extra steak sauce?

In professional sports, results matter. The Rangers got an excellent result with Copp, especially since they weren't expected to get where they did. A lot of playoff Revenue $, plus goodwill with the fans. Who the hell knows what result they would have gotten without him - no one. And if the only measure of 'they didn't win' means 'they didn't win the cup', then I guess the Jets are in a glass house and shouldn't be throwing stones about deadline deals.
To be fair, the Jets have been heavily criticized for the Hayes trade on here.

The Rangers overpaid for Copp. It was a standard trade deadline price so in that context maybe it wasn’t an overpay, but for 15 games and three series of the player Copp is … yeah, Barron, Lambert and Salmonnson is too much for him.

They got to the ECF but even if Copp had a huge impact on that (I don’t think he did) he’s gone now so they’re left with nothing while we still have three good assets out of it.

The Rangers are an original six franchise in freaking New York City. They’ve been trying to buy a championship for years now. I don’t know how much goodwill overpaying for Copp really bought them from their fans, but I don’t think they need it. The extra playoff revenue is nice, but it’s the freaking Rangers.

In any case, I think this is just moreso a really good trade for the Jets than it is a bad trade for the Rangers. Maybe Rags fans are still happy with the trade. That’s fine by me. All I know is I’m REALLY happy with the trade on our end too.

Glad to see you're starting at 10:43 pm. All the best papers are written after 11 pm.
Haha. It’s not due until midnight tonight. I started it a couple weeks ago and just have the finishing touches to put on it this afternoon.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
To be fair, the Jets have been heavily criticized for the Hayes trade on here.

The Rangers overpaid for Copp. It was a standard trade deadline price so in that context maybe it wasn’t an overpay, but for 15 games and three series of the player Copp is … yeah, Barron, Lambert and Salmonnson is too much for him.

They got to the ECF but even if Copp had a huge impact on that (I don’t think he did) he’s gone now so they’re left with nothing while we still have three good assets out of it.

The Rangers are an original six franchise in freaking New York City. They’ve been trying to buy a championship for years now. I don’t know how much goodwill overpaying for Copp really bought them from their fans, but I don’t think they need it. The extra playoff revenue is nice, but it’s the freaking Rangers.

In any case, I think this is just moreso a really good trade for the Jets than it is a bad trade for the Rangers. Maybe Rags fans are still happy with the trade. That’s fine by me. All I know is I’m REALLY happy with the trade on our end too.

Haha. It’s not due until midnight tonight. I started it a couple weeks ago and just have the finishing touches to put on it this afternoon.
Barron has really exceeded his draft position of 5th rd.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
The Rangers got a few weeks of valuable attention in a crowded NYC sports media market in which they’re usually an afterthought. It worked out fine all round.
I mean, I guess I'm really not considering the intangibles of the deal, which do matter.

However, if we are looking it transactionally from an organizational depth perspective this was a bad move by NY and a great one for Winnipeg, similar to the Trouba deal (depending on what becomes of Heinola)

Reactions: snowkiddin

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Some people are still upset about the 1st prospect and whatever else for Stastny in 2018.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I mean, I guess I'm really not considering the intangibles of the deal, which do matter.

However, if we are looking it transactionally from an organizational depth perspective this was a bad move by NY and a great one for Winnipeg, similar to the Trouba deal (depending on what becomes of Heinola)

Most deadline acquisition deals would probably fall into this category.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

agreed. we haven't won anything of note with barron or lambert in the line up with them being key contributors.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
So you missed the part where the Jets were playing without passion, and PLD drove the net, almost scored, and dusted it up afterwards which completely changed the game.

Not calling you out specifically but people are trying super hard to find fault with Dubie right now. He's been mostly excellent this year

I'll just say I'm glad you're not or GM and leave it at that
I'll second that. I am glad that I am not the GM, I like what I do. And I am glad that you are not the GM.

And as a reminder on the record, I was vehemently against the Jets trading away assets to acquire anyone at the trade deadline in the 2018-19 season. We were running 0.500 wins and losses since mid december and just didn't have it. I was in the minority here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
They got robbed.

If the Jets did the reverse they would be burned at the stake.

Copp was a solid contributor for the rags but you have to measure the impact he had. Would they have gotten as far without him?

At the end of the day they didn't win and the Jets parlayed a player that was leaving in FA for a bona-fide NHLer with lots of team control and a player that has the skillset to be a star top 6 scorer for years to come.

Standard pricing for rental player. Much better to be a seller than a buyer at the TD. (Or stand pat if you are in contention.)

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We padded the shot clock with a bunch of weak, perimeter shots against one of the league's worst teams. I wasn't impressed with that effort last night at all. This team has shown that it can be much quicker and sharper.

:laugh: You're pretty hard to please.
Were there weak perimeter shots? Yes, of course. There always are. There were also a lot of HDSC too. Meanwhile, they gave up very little and controlled the play almost all of the game.

As a fan this is a classic win win trade. NYR needed Copp and he gave them full value. But it cost them a fair bit which we benefitted from. Didn't we get TWO picks though? Two conditional 2nd round picks, one of which became a 1st rounder (which turned into Adam Lambert?) when they made the ECF? Not sure what became of the second pick though.

2nd pick became Elias Salomonsson.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
We padded the shot clock with a bunch of weak, perimeter shots against one of the league's worst teams. I wasn't impressed with that effort last night at all. This team has shown that it can be much quicker and sharper.
Hmmmm....not by my eye test or according to the NST heat map...

1671215444840.png

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Perfetti needs to learn from KFC. Perfetti is pretty good at it, but KFC is a master.
Perfetti needs to learn to think about shooting as an option instead of automatically passing. I've lost count of how many times he's been in close to the net with an unimpeded view and he passes to a teammate with less chance of a clear shot.

He's got to have learned from his recent goals that shooting might be the better choice. Whether he's learned that from KFC is debatable but he's got a great role model to emulate, both for scoring and avoiding brutal checks.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Perfetti needs to learn to think about shooting as an option instead of automatically passing. I've lost count of how many times he's been in close to the net with an unimpeded view and he passes to a teammate with less chance of a clear shot.

He's got to have learned from his recent goals that shooting might be the better choice. Whether he's learned that from KFC is debatable but he's got a great role model to emulate, both for scoring and avoiding brutal checks.

He's averaging 2 shots on goal a game which isn't bad for a rookie and is 5th on the team in shots on target.

Sure he could shoot a bit more but it is not like he's nit shooting.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida

Agree with you here. And there have been a few other Jets guilty of this the last few games.

Reactions: Stumbledore

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I haven't seen Cole take a big hit since the first few weeks of the season. It seems he's adapted pretty well to protecting himself on the ice
There was one a couple of games ago along the boards. He was favoring his arm/shoulder on the bench after the hit. Thank goodness he was ok.

Snowboy

Oct 12, 2013
I wonder what the zone time was. Never saw that but it must have been about 3:1 for Jets.

How much was it better play by Jets (compared to previous 2) and how much was it worse play by the opponent? Hard to say of course, but it looked to me like Jets really tightened up defensively.
Zone time should be incorporated into NHL standard statistics reporting. It says a lot about game control especially with disparate numbers. I don't know why it's not. I think teams count it. A good question for Bones.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad