Jets At The World Hockey Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Nice goal by scheif, also real nice goal by laine, love the slow mo that shows jokinens sauce pass bouncing up off the ice but laine still strong on the stick and redirects it in.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Nice goal by scheif, also real nice goal by laine, love the slow mo that shows jokinens sauce pass bouncing up off the ice but laine still strong on the stick and redirects it in.

I agree with this. That was no easy "tap in". At full tilt, on the back hand, a puck a bit off the ice and he has the hands to bury it.

I really liked Laine's game today. Ferraro keeps on making the point that he "glides" too much through the neutral zone and that won't work in the NHL when there is much better back pressure. I think Laine is just reacting to the situation. When he doesn't have pressure, he has time to glide and make the right play. But I've seen that when he does have pressure, he keeps his speed and often accelerates to gain the zone. He doesn't have blazing quickness but his size and stride lets him pull away from a lot of players, and with more physical strength and maturity I think he's going to be very difficult to stop.

I also think he's much more than a one-dimensional shooter. He has incredibly soft hands so he can handle almost any pass to him, even if it's in an awkward spot. He has terrific vision and is an excellent passer. He can make every pass in the book - hard on the forehand, saucer, backhand, and it's usually right on the tape. He'd already be one of our better passers. He has a great sense of timing and space (like Ehlers, actually), so he doesn't panic with the puck and he creates and uses room. This will be more difficult at the NHL level, but someone with his hockey sense and awareness should be able to adapt.

I can see why so many scouts like him so much. He has a formidable and rare combination of skill and size. It's easy to forget that he's just turned 18, and has been improving by leaps and bounds this year. He is likely going to continue to improve substantially over the next couple of years. He could be an absolutely dominant offensive player.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't think I could think of two players with as opposite of skill sets as Stone and Laine

Both have great hands around the net, Stone always did when he was younger, but his knock was he couldn't skate, he was an ugly skater but got to the places he needed to get to. Anything in the slot was in the net much like Laine, Laine's knock is skating. So that is where I see comparisons.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Both have great hands around the net, Stone always did when he was younger, but his knock was he couldn't skate, he was an ugly skater but got to the places he needed to get to. Anything in the slot was in the net much like Laine, Laine's knock is skating. So that is where I see comparisons.

This is exactly what I was getting at. Some thought Stone's skating was bad enough to prevent him from being an NHL player. It improved a lot. No reason Laine can't also improve his skating and nobody is saying it's bad enough to prevent him from being a very successful player.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Laine is going to be a much more effective skater than Stone, I think. He generates a much better top speed.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I agree with this. That was no easy "tap in". At full tilt, on the back hand, a puck a bit off the ice and he has the hands to bury it.

I really liked Laine's game today. Ferraro keeps on making the point that he "glides" too much through the neutral zone and that won't work in the NHL when there is much better back pressure. I think Laine is just reacting to the situation. When he doesn't have pressure, he has time to glide and make the right play. But I've seen that when he does have pressure, he keeps his speed and often accelerates to gain the zone. He doesn't have blazing quickness but his size and stride lets him pull away from a lot of players, and with more physical strength and maturity I think he's going to be very difficult to stop.

I also think he's much more than a one-dimensional shooter. He has incredibly soft hands so he can handle almost any pass to him, even if it's in an awkward spot. He has terrific vision and is an excellent passer. He can make every pass in the book - hard on the forehand, saucer, backhand, and it's usually right on the tape. He'd already be one of our better passers. He has a great sense of timing and space (like Ehlers, actually), so he doesn't panic with the puck and he creates and uses room. This will be more difficult at the NHL level, but someone with his hockey sense and awareness should be able to adapt.

I can see why so many scouts like him so much. He has a formidable and rare combination of skill and size. It's easy to forget that he's just turned 18, and has been improving by leaps and bounds this year. He is likely going to continue to improve substantially over the next couple of years. He could be an absolutely dominant offensive player.

Agreed. The only way you don't take Laine is the Leafs decide he is a better option at #1 than Matthews. If every thing goes as expected you thank the hockey gods for winning the 2nd lottery pick and you take a future point getting machine.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Agreed. The only way you don't take Laine is the Leafs decide he is a better option at #1 than Matthews. If every thing goes as expected you thank the hockey gods for winning the 2nd lottery pick and you take a future point getting machine.

I found it interesting that Jets' head scout thinks Laine's skating has improved a lot in the last year or two and he sees his skating as a strength. He needs to improve his first couple of steps, but he has a powerful stride and very good top speed. He's also quite agile for such a big guy.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I found it interesting that Jets' head scout thinks Laine's skating has improved a lot in the last year or two and he sees his skating as a strength. He needs to improve his first couple of steps, but he has a powerful stride and very good top speed. He's also quite agile for such a big guy.

Where did he say that? That's a pretty big hint that they are looking to draft Laine

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Nice Schif goal, Dano looked to get lots of ice time for the Slovaks, should get a lot for the Moose next season as well!

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Wow, I knew he was doing well, but Laine is second in points and third in goals out of the whole tournament so far :amazed:
I sure hope we take him

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Hehe I used to be into F1, used to ruin my saturdays and sundays by waking up and watching the quali and race live at 4-5am in the morning, it's not worth it anymore in the current Mercedes era where there is no excitement and one team always wins.:help: That product is pretty unwatchable these days unless you are a Hamilton/Rosberg/Mercedes fan and I bet even their fans are getting bored

Completely OT, but the Mercs knocked each other out of the race which is now five laps in. :)

Less OT, there are vague suggestions that Laine might be playing (his correct) left wing today, and the swashbuckler deception days are over.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
His injury was reported as minor. I think he's a victim of numbers now, with Nelson joining the team.

I think he's still hurting He looked slow in the last game he played. He wasn't practicing with the team on the off days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad