Jets At The World Hockey Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Finally caught up with the live feed, good game by Laine, that goal was amazing, takes the zone, makes the quick pass to Jokinen, then outskates the dman checking him to get free and puts it in on the backhand. Sweet.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Still want Matthews - just my preface to what I'm going to say about Laine:

What I like about him when watching him is that he is NOT a one-dimensional offensive player - he has good vision, very good passing skills, soft hands, and looks to use his linemates when there's no direct opportunity for him. Combine that with a killer one-timer, and I'll be extremely pleased if we get the "consolation prize" in this draft.

It'll be interesting to see FIN later in the tourney when stuff gets really tough.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Yeah the folks who say he's just feasting on weak opposition don't make much sense. I mean hasn't every u18 player in previous WHC tourneys had the opportunity to "feast" in the same way? Were the weaker teams better when Jagr was u18?

Laine is putting on quite a display. Can't wait to watch him do it for the Jets! :yo:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
In a way it reminds me of their world junior season but on a different level of coarse. 17 year olds rarely dominate a U20 tournament the way -Puljujarvi-Laine did, that entire scene was unprecedented. What Laine is doing at the world championships with men has never been done by a U18 eligible player before.

Ever

I know the glass half empty crowd or haters have been saying "yes but he is feasting on the lesser teams, or he is mostly dominating on the PP etc". That is a lazy argument for several reasons. Firstly, this opportunity has always been available for 17 or just turned 18 year olds but never capitalized on? Which leads to the second point which is you actually have to be talented enough in the first place to make a top line and the top PP unit on a good team to exploit said opportunity. Thirdly, once you earn your shot you actually have to produce. Sounds easy enough and looks easy when you watch Patrik doing his thing but apparently this combination of events coming together has been next to impossible historically.

Just made me think that Laine and Pulju could play the next 2 years at the WJC20 still and Laine-Aho-Pulju could be a line next year, it would be brutal :laugh: :laugh:

The good thing today was that Barkov line scored 2 ES goals today, he answered to a question that's been thrown at him at the Worlds, and I really like that he wasn't happy with his game even with those points(2nd period interview), he stepped up after that and started to play better all around game.

It's crazy to see so many say that points against weak teams are useless, it's same for every player in this tourney but Laine is the guy leading the scoring as U18 player, so shouldn't credit be given when it's earned.
Finland has scored 20 goals in 5 games, and Laine has been involved in 10 of those, 9 points and started the play that lead to game winning goal against USA, that's 50%.

Nothing has been given to Laine, he has earned his role, he has earned his pp ole and in the 1st 3 games he played 13-14mins per game.

I also find it awesome that he is leading the scoring while having skating as a weakness, what on earth is he going to do when he fixes that?

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I don't know if it is the vast gulf between the teams but the quality of games has been atrocious on the big ice. It seems even harder to get shots through to the net on the big ice than it is on the NHL surface, certainly don't think increase the rink size is the answer to the NHL's scoring woes

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Just made me think that Laine and Pulju could play the next 2 years at the WJC20 still and Laine-Aho-Pulju could be a line next year, it would be brutal :laugh: :laugh:

The good thing today was that Barkov line scored 2 ES goals today, he answered to a question that's been thrown at him at the Worlds, and I really like that he wasn't happy with his game even with those points(2nd period interview), he stepped up after that and started to play better all around game.

It's crazy to see so many say that points against weak teams are useless, it's same for every player in this tourney but Laine is the guy leading the scoring as U18 player, so shouldn't credit be given when it's earned.
Finland has scored 20 goals in 5 games, and Laine has been involved in 10 of those, 9 points and started the play that lead to game winning goal against USA, that's 50%.

Nothing has been given to Laine, he has earned his role, he has earned his pp ole and in the 1st 3 games he played 13-14mins per game.

I also find it awesome that he is leading the scoring while having skating as a weakness, what on earth is he going to do when he fixes that?

That is really the key isn't it.......with all his glaring faults he is still one of the top scorers in this tournament and he is a kid that could play in 2 more world Junior tournaments. Kyle Connor is very young prospect yet is junior eligibility is done. As much as Marner and Strome are studs they were beaten head to head vs Finland with less depth and younger star players in the WJHC.

Laine is raw and will get better and is still one of the top scorers in a mens tournament.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
That is really the key isn't it.......with all his glaring faults he is still one of the top scorers in this tournament and he is a kid that could play in 2 more world Junior tournaments. Kyle Connor is very young prospect yet is junior eligibility is done. As much as Marner and Strome are studs they were beaten head to head vs Finland with less depth and younger star players in the WJHC.

Laine is raw and will get better and is still one of the top scorers in a mens tournament.

IIRC Canada basically outplayed and outshot Finland in that game but an unfortunate over the glass (shot over glass at the far end) pkayer a big part in the outcome.

rehf

Fueled by Maurice
Feb 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Looks like Laine had a goal and an assist today? Very nice.

Participated in 2 of the 3 goals scored by Finland today.

Is he still getting limited ES time? Or had it increased some.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

On the GDT on the mainboard the Finnish fans were talking about Laine's strong 2 way game today. It also sounded like he played most of the last 5 minutes to help preserve the lead in a 3-1 game. Just by reading through the commentary I certainly got the impression that Laine and Barkov were the 2 top players on the ice.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Caser posted this in prospects. Thought it should go here also

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
On the GDT on the mainboard the Finnish fans were talking about Laine's strong 2 way game today. It also sounded like he played most of the last 5 minutes to help preserve the lead in a 3-1 game. Just by reading through the commentary I certainly got the impression that Laine and Barkov were the 2 top players on the ice.

They were playing France, so I'm not surprised by this. Might as well have the younger players out for the last 5 minutes or so.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

About the same icetime maybe a minute more at 15:40. Finland still rolling 4 lines at ES

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Laine has been playing less ice time than Matthews, has been playing on his wrong wing, and yet is outscoring him badly.

Points/60 mins now favors Laine by 7.1 to 3.4. The arguments in the Laine vs Matthews thread are getting more feeble by the day.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Telegin with a 2 goal game for Russia.

Edit: Missed a whole page of posts. :laugh: Wondered why no one had mentioned this.:laugh:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad