Pre-Game Talk: Jets at Blues Sunday 6:30pm (central) pre game discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
The Jets have proven they can score on Binnington. They need to continue to do so but in order to get back into a position where they can possibly come back and win the series they need Hellebuyck to play like he did last year. Without stellar goaltending from him, the Jets chances for a comeback don't look good.

:jets

Reactions: Guffman

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Q9M8rlg.png

No, the switch hasn't been flipped and there's no freaking switch for God's sake.

You ignoring roughly ~50 minutes of a 60 minute game to focus on special teams is actually considerably ignorant, especially for something that is out of the Jets' control. They can't call penalties.

You’re really trying to use advanced stats at a game level?

When Laine is in the zone, it doesn’t matter what Average Joe Player’s expected goals are from taking a shot at a particular place on the ice. Heck, it doesn’t even matter what’s Laine’s expected goals are from a particular shot. When he’s ice cold, he’s more apt to break his stick or shoot wide. When he’s in the zone, he’s blasting in goals against hot goaltenders.

You’re trying to tell us that the Jets game play against the hot St Louis Blues is no better than the disinterested play the Jets exhibited in the latter part of the regular season and you base that conclusion on your spreadsheet statistics? You honestly can’t see the elevated play? Can you show me how you factored in the strength of competition in your numbers?

When we’re in 1-goal games, you’re that quick to dismiss specialty teams (which, we are +2 goals in, which is significant especially in the context of these slim game margins) because the Jets can’t call penalties? WHAT?!

Reactions: HPsauce

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
If we flipped the goaltenders, Jets lead this series 2-0 and the games would not be as close as they were.
1) Now yes. As Helly seems frustrated for a while now.

Blues wants the puck just a little bit more.
It doeant help that Jets getting away from their game and starts gooning it up.

2) But if from start of season? Probably not.
Jets are the team who keep giving up high danger changes and most shots on their goalie.

We are right where the Blues want us. They just keep counter punnching.

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca

When Laine is in the zone, it doesn’t matter what Average Joe Player’s expected goals are from taking a shot at a particular place on the ice. Heck, it doesn’t even matter what’s Laine’s expected goals are from a particular shot. When he’s ice cold, he’s more apt to break his stick or shoot wide. When he’s in the zone, he’s blasting in goals against hot goaltenders.

You’re trying to tell us that the Jets game play against the hot St Louis Blues is no better than the disinterested play the Jets exhibited in the latter part of the regular season and you base that conclusion on your spreadsheet statistics? You honestly can’t see the elevated play? Can you show me how you factored in the strength of competition in your numbers?

When we’re in 1-goal games, you’re that quick to dismiss specialty teams (which, we are +2 goals in, which is significant especially in the context of these slim game margins) because the Jets can’t call penalties? WHAT?!
You sure have to refer to a lot of unproven rhetoric to get to your point. Say whatever you want to say to justify it in your head, but if you’re not even going to address anything I’ve said then this is not worth my time.

Jets are getting the same results they were these previous two games as they were going into the playoffs. RESULTS.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
1) Now yes. As Helly seems frustrated for a while now.

Blues wants the puck just a little bit more.
It doeant help that Jets getting away from their game and starts gooning it up.

2) But if from start of season? Probably not.
Jets are the team who keep giving up high danger changes and most shots on their goalie.

We are right where the Blues want us. They just keep counter punnching.

St Louis are playing a structured defensive game and they attack once the Jets fail to break through the neutral zone and make bad passes coughing it up.

After watching St Louis play they are not that impressive and I feel that Dallas or Nashville can take them out.
They are barely beating us even with their hot goalie.

Maurice does not have an answer for a strong fore check with trapping so he resorts to a dump and chase game.

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
Do yourselves a favour and peek in on the leafs board. It's hilarious. They are so down on them yet they're up a game and on the road.

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
Do yourselves a favour and peek in on the leafs board. It's hilarious. They are so down on them yet they're up a game and on the road.
They should be down on themselves. They are playing like utter garbage and are the inferior team.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Yes, Connor Hellebuyck had a bad game.
However, the team hasn’t picked it up enough to compensate for a less than average start from the goaltender.
I’m far more concerned about the team in front of Hellebuyck than I am about him.

Reactions: Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO

Yes they’ve elevated their play, as have the 15 other teams in the playoffs. Welcome to postseason hockey.

The performance and outcome isn’t markedly different than what we saw down the stretch, and that’s the problem.

Reactions: Jack722 and Duke749

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
However, the team hasn’t picked it up enough to compensate for a less than average start from the goaltender.
I’m far more concerned about the team in front of Hellebuyck than I am about him.

I think some people are saying we have been worse then we actually have been. I think we have some areas to clean up. But overall our special teams have been great. We doubled up on them in high danger scoring chances in game 2. Game 1 ya we had some lapses with that slot pass. And game 2 we gave them a couple too many odd man rushes. And have also had a few periods were we take the foot off the gas. Hard to blame the team for the post softie on Helle. Those will deflate any team. I think we have had the better chances, better special teams and more physical. They have had better goaltending and tightened it up better then we have when its needed. But still say the biggest difference is goaltending

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
PoMo is stuck in a tough place. Put in the goalie coming out of a injury or die on your shield with Hellesuck.
That's not a tough place for PoMo, he's a die on his shield kind of guy.

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
That's not a tough place for PoMo, he's a die on his shield kind of guy.

Very true-he refuses to adapt ever. If teams counter with successful adaptations, he continues to lean on the PP & overall talent on the team to fish for wins. Thus has been the case all season. Quite remarkable actually

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba

I am mostly concerned with Hellebuck's game right now.

We proved that we can score on Binnington who has been tough to beat.

Hellebuyck could not stop a beach ball last night and most of the shots that beat him were wristers.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
St Louis are playing a structured defensive game and they attack once the Jets fail to break through the neutral zone and make bad passes coughing it up.

After watching St Louis play they are not that impressive and I feel that Dallas or Nashville can take them out.
They are barely beating us even with their hot goalie.

Maurice does not have an answer for a strong fore check with trapping so he resorts to a dump and chase game.

Do you really think he is coaching a dump and chase game?
He has already stated that the team has enough talent that they shouldn't be playing a dump and chase game unless that is all they have on that given play.
I hear he is the reason gas prices have gone up too...

Reactions: Jets 31 and Ducky10

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
He has already stated that the team has enough talent that they shouldn't be playing a dump and chase game unless that is all they have on that given play.

Lets count the amount of dump and chases that happen in game 3.

The only guy that ever skates the puck over the St Louis blue line with successful zone entry is Ehlers.

Reactions: Neuf

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Dump and chase is absolutely coach-directed, it's the go to play . Even on the powerplay they often will dump and chase. Top line does a bit more chipping rather than dumping, but it's clearly the strategy.

Reactions: Mbraunm

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015

The only guy that ever skates the puck over the St Louis blue line with successful zone entry is Ehlers.
and then more often than not loses the puck...

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
If you are correct, then there is a massive discrepancy between Maurice’s system and the one which the players execute. It is then obvious that this team has shut out the coach and the players are the ones running the show.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
If you are correct, then there is a massive discrepancy between Maurice’s system and the one which the players execute. It is then obvious that this team has shut out the coach and the players are the ones running the show.
or they aren't as good as people think they are.

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016

Is that one reason for his limited TOI?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Ehlers has been pretty bad. His icetime was low last game though. But all he has even shown is he is useless in tight checking big games. I am leaning towards dealing him. I want one of him and Connor gone regardless to bring in a D. Connor has def had the benefit of playing with 55/26 back when those 2 were better 5v5 and not to mention 1st PP unit. But he at least showed up in last years playoffs....

Anyways, obviously a must win. I don't think much needs to be said. Either 2-1 or 3-0. I am just going to watch a little more relaxed now because I think my crushing moment was end of last game. 2-1 and we can at least get excited for game 4
Connor has been much worse than Ehlers this season and playoffs, all things considered.

Ehlers went through concussion protocol last game so that affected his contribution.

Reactions: JetsFan815
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad