Confirmed with Link: Jets agree to terms with Albert, Cormier & O’Dell

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Article 10 of the CBA outlines the conditions of Group 6 free agents as follows:

Group 6 Free Agents.
(i) Means any Player who is age 25 or older who has completed three (3) or
more professional seasons, whose SPC has expired and: (i) in the case of a
Player other than a goaltender, has played less than 80 NHL Games, or (ii)
in the case of a goaltender, has played less than 28 NHL Games (for the
purpose of this definition, a goaltender must have played a minimum of
thirty (30) minutes in an NHL Game to register a game played). For the
purposes of the foregoing, the term professional season shall: (A) for a
Player aged 18 or 19, mean any season in which such Player plays in
eleven (11) or more Professional Games (including NHL Regular Season
and Playoff Games, minor league regular season and playoff games, and
games played in any European professional league, while under an SPC),
and (B) for a Player aged 20 or older, mean any season in which such
Player plays in one or more Professional Games (including NHL Regular
Season and Playoff Games, minor league regular season and playoff
games, and games played in any European professional league, while
under an SPC
).

I see nothing there that says your three years under a NHL contract. It's 3 professional seasons.

BTW, for anyone who wants a copy of the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the NHL and NHLPA, you can download it here:

http://www.nhlpa.com/inside-nhlpa/collective-bargaining-agreement

You missed that last part ;)

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
With regards to Albert I'm shocked and awed he has an NHL deal. Cormier yeah two-way.

For O'Dell I cannot believe management wouldn't commit to him with a one-way deal. Complete slap in the face to yet another prospect we'll eventually force out of the organization, IMO.

Albert maybe is worth 1 more shot. Cormier is not. They should have offered him an AHL contract or nothing. He's like Thorburn without the face-punching. O'Dell? Yeah, I think he deserved a one way deal but if they don't give him his 50 games he is a UFA anyway. He is the only one who would not clear waivers so they can't send him down without losing him anyway so why not a 1way?

With the numbers that some of these guys put up in the Calder Cup run, I doubt that many of them clear waivers. With all the guys that got contracts with other teams this year, I think Chevy realized that these guys are playable/movable assets now in other teams eyes. He now has some additional players for a multi-player trade. Here's hoping!

Numbers in the Calder Cup run like Cormier; 21gms, 7 points or Albert; 21gms, 7 points? I don't think those numbers buy anything.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Cormier getting an NHL deal is not a huge deal at all. We're nowhere near the contract limit. It's just not important.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Albert maybe is worth 1 more shot. Cormier is not. They should have offered him an AHL contract or nothing. He's like Thorburn without the face-punching. O'Dell? Yeah, I think he deserved a one way deal but if they don't give him his 50 games he is a UFA anyway. He is the only one who would not clear waivers so they can't send him down without losing him anyway so why not a 1way?

Seriously can ANYONE explain to me why Albert should be anywhere near an NHL contract? He has no offense, has no defense, is not a strong skater, little hockey IQ, no stick skills, no physicality. He is a hard worker. Woop de doo. There's 10,000 at least other hockey players with a good work ethic. Albert is somehow worse than Gagnon, which I didn't think was possible that an team would give someone so limited a role. Oh wait he worked hard in St. John's therefore Jets need to have him in the system :shakehead

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Seriously can ANYONE explain to me why Albert should be anywhere near an NHL contract? He has no offense, has no defense, is not a strong skater, little hockey IQ, no stick skills, no physicality. He is a hard worker. Woop de doo. There's 10,000 at least other hockey players with a good work ethic. Albert is somehow worse than Gagnon, which I didn't think was possible that an team would give someone so limited a role. Oh wait he worked hard in St. John's therefore Jets need to have him in the system :shakehead

Don't know why he deserves an NHL contract, but I'm fine with it.

IceCaps are low on natural centres, especially decent ones, even more so if O`Dell sticks in the bigs. So what do you do when you are low on quality, go for quantity! :sarcasm:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

All I said was he was worth one more shot. He scored 45 points in 63 games in St John's last year, including 28 goals. He did it with a probably unsustainable sh%. But give him one more year on the rock to see if he can match or improve that performance. He is at least a decent AHL player. No harm done. :)

Last edited:

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno

it's an unobtainable dangled carrot.

not sure why you're mad at O'Dell's contract. it's the opposite side of Albert's. If O'Dell is an asset worth hanging on to, then he'll play above the UFA game threshold and will be re-signed. if he plays a handful of games w/the Jets and becomes a UFA, then who cares? it's pretty clear he wasn't good enough to make a team that was out of the playoffs last year. same with Redmond. who cares if he's a UFA. meant that he wasn't really worth crying over if he wasn't brought back.

the O'Neil contract, just like the other 2 contracts, are great because both the player and the team benefit from it.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Don't know why he deserves an NHL contract, but I'm fine with it.

IceCaps are low on natural centres, especially decent ones, even more so if O`Dell sticks in the bigs. So what do you do when you are low on quality, go for quantity! :sarcasm:
When you are going to be nowhere near the 50 contact limit - and you have no intention of trying to get close with actual prospects - you can afford to throw a few around on AHL depth players.

I guess.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Why would you sign a guy to a one-way deal when you hold all the leverage and can sign him to a two-way deal?

You'd rather pay full NHL salary if the guy ends up in the AHL?

No, I expected longer terms. There's a strong possibility that all 3 will not meet the minimum of games & will all become UFA's. It's hard to manage assets, if they aren't yours to bargain with.

For a team that plan to "draft & build from within", Chevy appears reluctant to dedicate any term to players coming up through St. John's thus far.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
With regards to Albert I'm shocked and awed he has an NHL deal. Cormier yeah two-way.

For O'Dell I cannot believe management wouldn't commit to him with a one-way deal. Complete slap in the face to yet another prospect we'll eventually force out of the organization, IMO.

Looks to me that O Dell may have just accepted his Qual- offer, to put pressure on the Jets (He knows the Jets have to play him or lose him next year). He may be looking for a bigger pay day next year. A one way could have been on the table in conjunction with a 2 year deal like previous Jet deals for Postma /Tangradi /Peleuso and Hutch.

I do not think this is a slap in the face, but a choice by Odell.

Canadienjet

Dec 7, 2006
Unsure why this is a discussion...O'Dell will be up in Winnipeg this season.He won't play one game here again.

Not into the Albert hate but happy to have him back.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

Numbers in the Calder Cup run like Cormier; 21gms, 7 points or Albert; 21gms, 7 points? I don't think those numbers buy anything.

Perhaps its just me & my negative mood towards Chevy right now. Perhaps this is much ado about nothing. Perhaps I question Jets authority too much. The real question is -- is there really a plan here or are we just offering contracts to fill our quota.

Albert, Cormier, Thorburn for what 3 more years, etc. OK they may be all minor amounts of $ but why are we signing guys that have little chance of making the NHL, are 4th liners at best if they do, and some are so undesired elsewhere that they are not even picked up when offered free. By the time you start amassing these small amounts of $ that are being essentially wasted, I'm sure there were a player or two that could have been acquired via free agency that would have fit our system and plans much better than these guys?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Perhaps its just me & my negative mood towards Chevy right now. Perhaps this is much ado about nothing. Perhaps I question Jets authority too much. The real question is -- is there really a plan here or are we just offering contracts to fill our quota.

Albert, Cormier, Thorburn for what 3 more years, etc. OK they may be all minor amounts of $ but why are we signing guys that have little chance of making the NHL, are 4th liners at best if they do, and some are so undesired elsewhere that they are not even picked up when offered free. By the time you start amassing these small amounts of $ that are being essentially wasted, I'm sure there were a player or two that could have been acquired via free agency that would have fit our system and plans much better than these guys?

The farm will need players and injuries happen. I really don't see what the issue is here. Only one or two will get full time roster spots the rest will be shipped to the farm.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
The farm will need players and injuries happen. I really don't see what the issue is here. Only one or two will get full time roster spots the rest will be shipped to the farm.

Most teams carry 10-15 players on NHL contracts that are unlikely to make the bigs. Prospects miss with regularity.

The fact that the Jets are re-upping such players on one year deals really carries no risk. They will be getting AHL money to play in the AHL.

The fact that the Jets are 15 contracts away from the limit puzzles me. Most teams keep in excess of 45 NHL contracts on the books at all times.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
No, I expected longer terms. There's a strong possibility that all 3 will not meet the minimum of games & will all become UFA's. It's hard to manage assets, if they aren't yours to bargain with.

For a team that plan to "draft & build from within", Chevy appears reluctant to dedicate any term to players coming up through St. John's thus far.

A guy like O'Dell would have no incentive to sign for more than 1 season unless he got massively overpaid at this point. He'll either be a full-time NHLer this season or a UFA next summer. Why hand your fate over to one organization or waivers for the next few seasons?

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I'm starting to think it would be better if he was given a 2 year contract.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
A guy like O'Dell would have no incentive to sign for more than 1 season unless he got massively overpaid at this point. He'll either be a full-time NHLer this season or a UFA next summer. Why hand your fate over to one organization or waivers for the next few seasons?

It appears we're on the same page here, but you're looking at this from O'Dells side. I care about the Jets prospects, not O'Dells long term financial security.

Of course a one year deal benefits O'Dell, and now Chevy will be paying more to resign him or lose him to free agency. He's given the organization no reason to think he won't succeed in at a bare minimum 4th line role at a cheaper rate than Thoburn.

If the organization can rely on St. Johns/entry level contract graduates to populate our 3rd/4th lines we're in a very secure place financially with regards to cap space.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
It appears we're on the same page here, but you're looking at this from O'Dells side. I care about the Jets prospects, not O'Dells long term financial security.

Of course a one year deal benefits O'Dell, and now Chevy will be paying more to resign him or lose him to free agency. He's given the organization no reason to think he won't succeed in at a bare minimum 4th line role at a cheaper rate than Thoburn.

If the organization can rely on St. Johns/entry level contract graduates to populate our 3rd/4th lines we're in a very secure place financially with regards to cap space.

How can you look at a negotiation without factoring in the position of each side?

You can't force a guy to sign a cheap long-term deal. I'd love it if we could get Frolik for six years at the league minimum, would be great for us, but it won't be happening.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
Most teams carry 10-15 players on NHL contracts that are unlikely to make the bigs. Prospects miss with regularity.

The fact that the Jets are re-upping such players on one year deals really carries no risk. They will be getting AHL money to play in the AHL.

The fact that the Jets are 15 contracts away from the limit puzzles me. Most teams keep in excess of 45 NHL contracts on the books at all times.
I'm not too worried about this. For once, I got Chevy's back :)

Once they sign a few of the 2014 draft class (would think Ehlers and De Leo get contracts at minimum) this number goes down. Plus NCAA guys like Copp (and Glover?) can't sign a contract.

I'd imagine a few more of those 15 spots would be taken up by "purely AHL" guys (a la Andrew Gordon last year). Plenty of time to do that.

Outside of that, the only unsigned guys of note are Lodge and Kostalek.

No big rush, I guess. It's summer! :golfnana:

trouty

Oct 3, 2011
Love how some base contracts on the Calder Cup run,when some the for mentioned players were on checking lines,aka Cormier,where his role was not to score.

if were basing it on playoffs,lets base it on the Calder Cup Final,O Dell 0 goals Albert 0 goals Jordan Hill 2 goals,by that stat man you should of signed him for 3.5 million

all afraid of waivers,im sure whoever is sent down,will be last min,and no team will claim them,as if they claim any player,they have to keep him in the nhl,or he goes back on waivers and Jets can auto take him and send him to the rock

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I'm not too worried about this. For once, I got Chevy's back :)

Once they sign a few of the 2014 draft class (would think Ehlers and De Leo get contracts at minimum) this number goes down. Plus NCAA guys like Copp (and Glover?) can't sign a contract.

I'd imagine a few more of those 15 spots would be taken up by "purely AHL" guys (a la Andrew Gordon last year). Plenty of time to do that.

Outside of that, the only unsigned guys of note are Lodge and Kostalek.

No big rush, I guess. It's summer! :golfnana:
Even if Ehlers and De Leo sign, they won't count until they turn pro. Not sure what you are getting at with the NCAA kids, every team has those, it doesn't keep them from signing or taking chances on players.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I think O'Dell starts the year on the Jets as a 3rd line LW, Possibly 2nd RW if Buff plays LW behind Kane and Ladd.

Before the draft, I had a few thoughts in mind that I wasn't entirely keen on sharing, since I thought FOR SURE Chevy would have made changes to render them moot.

Those changes never happened, so I'll go back (and retroactively back) on record and predict:

O'Dell starts the year on 3rd line
Klingberg starts the year on 4th line
Hutch has the starting job by Xmas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad