Post-Game Talk: Jets 6 - Sucks 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I think you may have misinterpreted the results. I suspect many people used "will the season be a failure??" as a proxy for "will you be very disappointed?". I know I did and weighed my options deliberately before I answered.

Many of us are enjoying the view from here, but would love to see a Stanley Cup in Wpg. It hasn't happened in TO in the entire lifespan of the majority of their fans. This year, for a variety of reasons, the team our looks like it is poised to make a real run.

Sounds like you and your wife really made the most of that trip to the Grand Canyon with your kids. My viewpoint is, those kind of opportunities don't come along very often, so they shouldn't be squandered.
They say that "disappointment is unmet expectations"

If we end up playing a Minnisota Wild team that sneaks in on the last days and lose to them in 4 or 5, I'll be disappointed. But if we lose to Dallas, Avs, etc in a hard fought series, I won't be

Rhe difference is I'd expect us to beat the wild, but I'd just be hopeful.that we'd beat another really good team

Reactions: Jets 31

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
So there's a poll about if the season is a success for you. About 75% of you said the season is a failure if we exit in the first round. It got me thinking.

When the kids were younger, we did a road trip tht included a stop in the Grand Canyon. Walked to the viewpoint and stared at the amazing site. The two oldest kids went to one side and sat down and stared and just stared. Every coupla minutes one of them would point to something but mostly they just sat silent, completely transfixed. Said to the wife we might not get them to leave and she said something about that's ok they really get this place.

So we're standing there then this family comes up beside us, couple with 2 boys. They spent maybe 20 seconds at the view and then the guy says C'mon we got 3 more damn viewpoints to stop at, and then they left. And all 3 of our kids are still looking at the view.

Got me thinking about the Jets. We're in 1st place our division. We got 2 of the top 3 goalies in the league. We got a coach whose getting buy-in from all his stars. We got coaches that fixed the PP, manage the fatigue levels, keep some players involved and enthusiastic. We got a GM who juggles stuff to get us through the injuries and bugs and slumps and keeps us still in 1st place.

Overall we got a pretty amazing team to celebrate and enjoy. But if we don't win that first round, most of you will write off the season. My left hand giving out again but if you read this far you got my point.
ok, splendid story. hb a comparison to an actual athletic match or competition? I powerlifted for while (well, still do), 300, 350, 400, 450, 500 lb in training, which matters, and for sure be happy with the small milestones or accomplishments. however if i don't hit my end-of-cycle goal or meet totals or dont place, then it's def. a disappointment maybe even failure - although i think that's a tad harsh from my POV, b/c all that training is not all for loss, meanwhile the Jets start with essentially blank slate at 0-0-0 in Oct 2024.

now this is just being a fan and watching the games. some do have a lot of $$$ invested into the team though. you can def enjoy the ride but still be disappointed w/ a first round KO given the regular season success & pieces of the team (ie: Vezina/Norris/Jack Adams/Jim Gregory caliber players or personnel). both things can be true imo. failure i think would be more apropos from a the team's POV though.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Do you hold yourself to the same standard in every area of your life?
I find this place is starting to go a bit over the top and seems unable to enjoy a very surprisingly successful season. Last summer most of the talk was about a total rebuild and countless posts along the lines of "gee I would just be so happy if we had a bunch of prospects who just played hard even if we lost every night". Now 80% of the way through a season we are 5th in the league in points %, 1st in our division and 2nd in the conference in points %. While Chevy has done a wonderful job keeping this team together and adding to it, we aren't some dynasty in the making that should be seen as a failure if we don't bring home the cup. We are one of about 8-10 teams that have a shot if all goes right over 2 months and 4 series. We are a little fortunate to be a surprising dark horse in a year where no team has clearly shown themselves to rise above the others. I'm just looking forward to be in the mix and see if this is one of those once in a lifetime years for most sports fans when against the odds it all comes together. IMO the journey has been kind of fun so far, and hoping but not expecting it lasts until mid June.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I'd imagine the players would be disappointed in a first round loss but would also be proud of the body of work they put together during the regular season

Like almost any other topic, looking at this isn't a black and white thing. There is nuance involved

Goal setting and the psychology involved has always fascinated me and I've spent more time than I ought to have reading the literature published on it. Andrew Hubermann has a few excellent podcasts that summarize the neurophysiology behind striving for achievement
Absolutely agree it isn't a black and white thing, and you can be disappointed in a first round loss but still be happy with your regular season.

To your earlier point, I am both enjoying the journey (some nights more than others :laugh:), and am hopeful to see the destination. If I was fixated on only the playoffs, I wouldn't be here posting every single day, I'd tune in once a year like I do when it's time to root for the Blue Jays to get knocked out of the playoffs.

But my expectations for this core, especially given their season so far, are higher than a first round loss. I imagine the goal of the organization is also higher than a first round loss. I don't think they traded for Monahan, Toffoli, and Miller with the goal of losing in the first round. I hear Hellebuyck talking about how his goal is to win a Cup, not how his goal is to lose a hard-fought first round series to Dallas or Colorado. With what's been invested into this team, I think the goal is to win the Cup. Ergo, it would be a failure to go out in round 1, IMO — a failure that did have enjoyable moments and memories, a failure that was a fun journey, a failure that came with a highly successful regular season, and a failure that would still provide valuable experience for the team to learn and grow from.

But there's no sense fretting about this anyway because we both know the Jets are making it to the Cup :)

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
ok, splendid story. hb a comparison to an actual athletic match or competition? I powerlifted for while (well, still do), 300, 350, 400, 450, 500 lb in training, which matters, and for sure be happy with the small milestones or accomplishments. however if i don't hit my end-of-cycle goal or meet totals or dont place, then it's def. a disappointment maybe even failure - although i think that's a tad harsh from my POV, b/c all that training is not all for loss, meanwhile the Jets start with essentially blank slate at 0-0-0 in Oct 2024.

now this is just being a fan and watching the games. some do have a lot of $$$ invested into the team though. you can def enjoy the ride but still be disappointed w/ a first round KO given the regular season success & pieces of the team (ie: Vezina/Norris/Jack Adams/Jim Gregory caliber players or personnel). both things can be true imo. failure i think would be more apropos from a the team's POV though.
I can relate to the powerlifting comparison...

If you program your cycles, hit all your training sessions and your diet and recovery is 100% on point and you miss a lift at the end, it's different that half assing it and having the same thing happen

All you can control is what you can control. Take care of your business and hope for the best possible outcome

Chevy has done all he can to put together a contender. Now it's up to he guys on the ice. If they play their hearts out and fall short, I can't be disappointed

If they play like ass, it's a different story

Reactions: Jets 31

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Absolutely agree it isn't a black and white thing, and you can be disappointed in a first round loss but still be happy with your regular season.

To your earlier point, I am both enjoying the journey (some nights more than others :laugh:), and am hopeful to see the destination. If I was fixated on only the playoffs, I wouldn't be here posting every single day, I'd tune in once a year like I do when it's time to root for the Blue Jays to get knocked out of the playoffs.

But my expectations for this core, especially given their season so far, are higher than a first round loss. I imagine the goal of the organization is also higher than a first round loss. I don't think they traded for Monahan, Toffoli, and Miller with the goal of losing in the first round. I hear Hellebuyck talking about how his goal is to win a Cup, not how his goal is to lose a hard-fought first round series to Dallas or Colorado. With what's been invested into this team, I think the goal is to win the Cup. Ergo, it would be a failure to go out in round 1, IMO — a failure that did have enjoyable moments and memories, a failure that was a fun journey, a failure that came with a highly successful regular season, and a failure that would still provide valuable experience for the team to learn and grow from.

But there's no sense fretting about this anyway because we both know the Jets are making it to the Cup :)

Don't listen to Hellebuyck, what does he know? He should be happy to be there.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I find this place is starting to go a bit over the top and seems unable to enjoy a very surprisingly successful season. Last summer most of the talk was about a total rebuild and countless posts along the lines of "gee I would just be so happy if we had a bunch of prospects who just played hard even if we lost every night". Now 80% of the way through a season we are 5th in the league in points %, 1st in our division and 2nd in the conference in points %. While Chevy has done a wonderful job keeping this team together and adding to it, we aren't some dynasty in the making that should be seen as a failure if we don't bring home the cup. We are one of about 8-10 teams that have a shot if all goes right over 2 months and 4 series. We are a little fortunate to be a surprising dark horse in a year where no team has clearly shown themselves to rise above the others. I'm just looking forward to be in the mix and see if this is one of those once in a lifetime years for most sports fans when against the odds it all comes together. IMO the journey has been kind of fun so far, and hoping but not expecting it lasts until mid June.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Nah but your holier than thou bullshit post about rebuilds ignoring context deserved a laugh. KingBogo always cheering for the team in the right way :laugh:
Then just ignore it. What you don't like ignore that is how we all survive on one board. It's called an ignore feature and I'd be very grateful if you used yours on me, if you don't like my posts. Thank you.

Reactions: Stumbledore

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Then just ignore it. What you don't like ignore that is how we all survive on one board. It's called an ignore feature and I'd be very grateful if you used yours on me, if you don't like my posts. Thank you.

Nope, I'm good. You make some very good posts when you're not preaching that I've liked. Feel free to put me on ignore.

Reactions: WolfHouse

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Idk about HF specifically but I’d love if some social media platforms would institute a clown reaction. Oh what fun we could have

My 9 year old showed me FB messenger could add anything with the + button. I've seen it sitting there for years when I've held down on a message and ignored it :laugh:

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I need more emoji responses :laugh:
I'm old enough to remember when YouTube got rid of the "thumbs down" response

I'm not on X/Twitter but you can still see a ridiculous post because it gets "ratio'd"

I take a little pride in my "posts/likes" ratio, but I'm self aware enough about my personality (or lack thereof) that if there was a "dislike" option, that total would be similar to my "likes"

But I don't give a f***

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
My 9 year old showed me FB messenger could add anything with the + button. I've seen it sitting there for years when I've held down on a message and ignored it :laugh:
Oh yeah, I use it all the time over there. Of course grilling my friends wouldn’t be as fun as cruising the main boards while wielding the clown react.

I'm old enough to remember when YouTube got rid of the "thumbs down" response

I'm not on X/Twitter but you can still see a ridiculous post because it gets "ratio'd"

I take a little pride in my "posts/likes" ratio, but I'm self aware enough about my personality (or lack thereof) that if there was a "dislike" option, that total would be similar to my "likes"

But I don't give a f***
I like HF much better than Reddit because the like system over here isn’t as broken as over there. It’s just a bunch of circle-jerking morons (and I comment on the Jets sub occasionally lol) over there, much more nuance in the takes over here imo

• Haha
Reactions: DRW204 and MardyBum

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Or how about giving a counter argument?

To what? Your "argument" was "all these people yappin" last year followed by "the team is good, you can't criticize the result, I'm just happy to be here".

Good for you.

I've been criticizing the team all year. There are plenty of things to criticize, and if this team fails it's not just bad luck. This is professional sports, not Sunday softball. Winning is the goal. :laugh:.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese