Post-Game Talk: Jets 6 - Sucks 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Can’t really take anything from a game when the opposition no shows but its still fun to enjoy the winz.
I think no shows isn't fair.

They are amongst the very worst in the league and that's before you take out McTavish, Zegras, Lyabushkin Gudas and Henrique.

I saw a lot of compete for them but they just don't have the skill or experience.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I think no shows isn't fair.

They are amongst the very worst in the league and that's before you take out McTavish, Zegras, Lyabushkin Gudas and Henrique.

I saw a lot of compete for them but they just don't have the skill or experience.

I am fine with however we want to word it but the Ducks were not good

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Sorry I don't mean to argue semantics but it is an important distinction.

No shows were the caps the other night and us against Vancouver and Nashville

All good and honestly your point is fair. It wasn’t lack of compete necessarily it’s just the two sides were miles apart last night. Not trying to be a buzz kill, I love wins, I am just not extrapolating anything out of that particular win due to the quality of competition.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
All good and honestly your point is fair. It wasn’t lack of compete necessarily it’s just the two sides were miles apart last night. Not trying to be a buzz kill, I love wins, I am just not extrapolating anything out of that particular win due to the quality of competition.
Fair!

Reactions: ps241

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
OK, let's look at the top goalies in the NHL - only counting those who've played ten games or more:
1710603434101.png

LB's #1 in both GAA and SV%! Two shutouts in 18 games - more than ten percent of his games are shutouts! I know he's played some 'sheltered' games but come on, this guy deserves some love.

And let's not forget that Helle's been known to look very average in the playoffs from time to time. I really hope the Jets play LB a whole lot more in the home stretch so Helle's well rested (but not so much that Helle's rusty). What's the magic number there? 50/50? 3:2?

Actually, I'd like to see how LB fares against some tougher competition. Maybe split the Oilers / Knights games?

Thoughts?

m.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
So there's a poll about if the season is a success for you. About 75% of you said the season is a failure if we exit in the first round. It got me thinking.

When the kids were younger, we did a road trip tht included a stop in the Grand Canyon. Walked to the viewpoint and stared at the amazing site. The two oldest kids went to one side and sat down and stared and just stared. Every coupla minutes one of them would point to something but mostly they just sat silent, completely transfixed. Said to the wife we might not get them to leave and she said something about that's ok they really get this place.

So we're standing there then this family comes up beside us, couple with 2 boys. They spent maybe 20 seconds at the view and then the guy says C'mon we got 3 more damn viewpoints to stop at, and then they left. And all 3 of our kids are still looking at the view.

Got me thinking about the Jets. We're in 1st place our division. We got 2 of the top 3 goalies in the league. We got a coach whose getting buy-in from all his stars. We got coaches that fixed the PP, manage the fatigue levels, keep some players involved and enthusiastic. We got a GM who juggles stuff to get us through the injuries and bugs and slumps and keeps us still in 1st place.

Overall we got a pretty amazing team to celebrate and enjoy. But if we don't win that first round, most of you will write off the season. My left hand giving out again but if you read this far you got my point.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
So there's a poll about if the season is a success for you. About 75% of you said the season is a failure if we exit in the first round. It got me thinking.

When the kids were younger, we did a road trip tht included a stop in the Grand Canyon. Walked to the viewpoint and stared at the amazing site. The two oldest kids went to one side and sat down and stared and just stared. Every coupla minutes one of them would point to something but mostly they just sat silent, completely transfixed. Said to the wife we might not get them to leave and she said something about that's ok they really get this place.

So we're standing there then this family comes up beside us, couple with 2 boys. They spent maybe 20 seconds at the view and then the guy says C'mon we got 3 more damn viewpoints to stop at, and then they left. And all 3 of our kids are still looking at the view.

Got me thinking about the Jets. We're in 1st place our division. We got 2 of the top 3 goalies in the league. We got a coach whose getting buy-in from all his stars. We got coaches that fixed the PP, manage the fatigue levels, keep some players involved and enthusiastic. We got a GM who juggles stuff to get us through the injuries and bugs and slumps and keeps us still in 1st place.

Overall we got a pretty amazing team to celebrate and enjoy. But if we don't win that first round, most of you will write off the season. My left hand giving out again but if you read this far you got my point.
Well said

Some people are wired (or have trained themselves) to enjoy every step of the journey

Others are fixated on the destination

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
OK, let's look at the top goalies in the NHL - only counting those who've played ten games or more:
View attachment 836855

LB's #1 in both GAA and SV%! Two shutouts in 18 games - more than ten percent of his games are shutouts! I know he's played some 'sheltered' games but come on, this guy deserves some love.

And let's not forget that Helle's been known to look very average in the playoffs from time to time. I really hope the Jets play LB a whole lot more in the home stretch so Helle's well rested (but not so much that Helle's rusty). What's the magic number there? 50/50? 3:2?

Actually, I'd like to see how LB fares against some tougher competition. Maybe split the Oilers / Knights games?

Thoughts?

m.
Brossoit's average Points% of opponents: .505

He needs 6 of the last 16 starts to qualify for the Jennings trophy (if the Jets end up winning it - pretty close with FLA right now in team GA).

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Second game of the year (second win) and second game since Covid (when we gave up our season tickets). This was part of a X-MAS present (quite the gift with that result).
I had the strangers around us in stitches with my Nostrodamus like prediction.
We're up 3-0 faceoff in their end and I loudly said
"ok all we need know is a Tyler Toffoli goal!"
The puck was in the net less than a second after I said it.
Not quite Nolan with the called shot on Hasek (circa 97 All Star Game) but pretty fun none the less.

I was in the section exactly opposite of where my seats were.
Such a jarring and different experience to see things in reverse.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Like, what's the Grand Canyon in Jets terms? The Jets' record this season or something?

If you want to make a journey/destination analogy, the journey is the regular season, and the playoffs are the destination.

But just making the playoffs is like stopping at the South Rim for 30 minutes. Winning the Cup is like white-water rafting down the Colorado River through the canyon and then helicoptering up to the rim to watch the sunset while eating a nice steak dinner...

And the journey to the Grand Canyon is a long one, and there are some boring stretches along the way. It's not all gazing enthralled at the majesty of nature... :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: TheDeuce

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Ya i'm going to the Vegas game which is the day before good Friday, should be a great atmosphere. Plus we might be able to help Vegas miss the playoffs with a win.:nod:
That's my next game as well. And agreed it should be a good atmosphere for that one, especially if we have a nice road trip over the next couple weeks.

Reactions: Jets 31 and GNP

hockeyarena

Aug 11, 2011
Winnipeg
www.hockeyarena.net

Your point is strawman nonsense. There is not a single jets fan who has ever seen our team win a stanley cup. We've been driving to the grand canyon for entire lifetimes. Having a good goalie and coach is Altona.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Your point is strawman nonsense. There is not a single jets fan who has ever seen our team win a stanley cup. We've been driving to the grand canyon for entire lifetimes. Having a good goalie and coach is Altona.
It's like the 92citi contest where fans were flown to Miami for the superbowl... I'm sure they were still happy because of the effort put into the trip

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I wonder if the players themselves would consider this season a success by going out in round 1? I think I know the answer to that.
I'd imagine the players would be disappointed in a first round loss but would also be proud of the body of work they put together during the regular season

Like almost any other topic, looking at this isn't a black and white thing. There is nuance involved

Goal setting and the psychology involved has always fascinated me and I've spent more time than I ought to have reading the literature published on it. Andrew Hubermann has a few excellent podcasts that summarize the neurophysiology behind striving for achievement

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012

I suspect many people used "will the season be a failure??" as a proxy for "will you be very disappointed?". I know I did and weighed my options deliberately before I answered.

Many of us are enjoying the view from here, but would love to see a Stanley Cup in Wpg. It hasn't happened in TO in the entire lifespan of the majority of their fans. This year, for a variety of reasons, the team our looks like it is poised to make a real run.

Sounds like you and your wife really made the most of that trip to the Grand Canyon with your kids. My viewpoint is, those opportunities don't come along very often, so they shouldn't be squandered.

Last edited:

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
I said fire Bones even if the score was 6-1. Well I admit, at 6-0 he gets another chance.

If you’re not first you’re last.

It’s cup or failed season.

That simple for some of us, but to each their own.
It's like a total eclipse of the sun. A once in a life-time event.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Maybe they were headed to the damn dam in Nevada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad