Post-Game Talk: Jets 6 - Mild 3

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Ehlers needs to get back to doing anything right, never mind adding something to his plate.

Its hard to be harsh with a player that produces so much and is so heavily relied on for goals in Connor, which is probably why he doesn't get the same treatment as 27 and 91 when he makes poor defensive plays. Same thing as Schiefele.

That's not to say that they don't need to be better defensively. Honestly, I think those 2 get overplayed which leads them to dog it defensively.

For god sakes 55 was taking extra shifts last night in the third of a b2b and 3 in 4.

I'm not always super happy with Bones player usage, but 27 knows what he has to do to get more ice time and he's either unwilling or unable to do it. Ffs he was a train wreck last night - so many giveaways and not creating much at all.

I think Perfetti was much better last night, I sure wish that net drive would have went in for him.
I like all our guys
But your small sample size matches my small sample size of ehlers dominance on first line with Connor hurt. Confidence is a real thing.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Jets have 73 points with 56 more points available, 28 games left in the season. I would say we are having a incredible season so far .
Especially when you consider all the challenges this year... Helle and Scheif were going to be traded at TD, Bowness system suppressed offence, fourth liner Namestnikov as our 2C, Arniel should be coach, Lauer should be fired, anyone but Monahan at TD, Appleton shouldn't be on the team, we didn't trade for Konecny...

Its a miracle this team won any games at all...

Oh right, and #freeehlers

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I like all our guys
But your small sample size matches my small sample size of ehlers dominance on first line with Connor hurt. Confidence is a real thing.

Confidence is massive. McDavid and Draisaitl were being interviewed on 32 thoughts about the slump at the beginning of the season vs their record setting winning streak and they pressed them on what was the difference and they both agree it was confidence meaning they had zero when they were losing and the tank was overflowing during their winning streak. I think that is where structure can really help the Jets this year. IF they feel confident that Jets hockey (Structured D) will yield results if they follow the plan that can help build confidence that can endure rough patches.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Ehlers needs to get back to doing anything right, never mind adding something to his plate.

Its hard to be harsh with a player that produces so much and is so heavily relied on for goals in Connor, which is probably why he doesn't get the same treatment as 27 and 91 when he makes poor defensive plays. Same thing as Schiefele.

That's not to say that they don't need to be better defensively. Honestly, I think those 2 get overplayed which leads them to dog it defensively.

For god sakes 55 was taking extra shifts last night in the third of a b2b and 3 in 4.

I'm not always super happy with Bones player usage, but 27 knows what he has to do to get more ice time and he's either unwilling or unable to do it. Ffs he was a train wreck last night - so many giveaways and not creating much at all.

I think Perfetti was much better last night, I sure wish that net drive would have went in for him.

Ehlers needs to go back to the basics right now because what he’s best at isn’t working. It’s always the same with most players. Start over and go from there. He still has his positives though.

Reactions: surixon

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Confidence is massive. McDavid and Draisaitl were being interviewed on 32 thoughts about the slump at the beginning of the season vs their record setting winning streak and they pressed them on what was the difference and they both agree it was confidence meaning they had zero when they were losing and the tank was overflowing during their winning streak. I think that is where structure can really help the Jets this year. IF they feel confident that Jets hockey (Structured D) will yield results if they follow the plan that can help build confidence that can endure rough patches.

Oh yeh Ehlers is playing with zero confidence right now. Connor was playing in a similar way not that long ago. Now the last handful of games he’s money. I’m so thankful for our depth up front. If it’s not this guy it’s another guy. This will pay dividends come the playoffs.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
I frequently credit the opposition.

I am fully aware that any team can beat any other on a given day. I'm talking about a 15 game stretch when they are playing a different style. They have gotten away from what was working so well. Not 1 game.

Yeah, Jets made Sharks look very good.

The pre-season talk about tear-down/rebuild was all based on the appearance that Scheifele and Helle were not going to extend. 99.99%. That talk ended the day they signed.

I'm not focused on the 1 loss. I'm focused on the 10-12 games out of the last 15 where they have played badly, whether they won or lost. I'm focused on what that means for the rest of the season and the PO if they don't turn it around.

Yeah. I try to do that. I know I don't always succeed.:laugh:

Over the past ten games the Jets are 12th in the NHL by xG% at 5v5. Ahead of the Bruins, Lightning, Leafs, Avalanche, Rangers, and Golden Knights. Should all these teams be in crisis?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Over the past ten games the Jets are 12th in the NHL by xG% at 5v5. Ahead of the Bruins, Lightning, Leafs, Avalanche, Rangers, and Golden Knights. Should all these teams be in crisis?

Yup, I think it's fair to say our 5 on 5 play has slipped a bit from the first half of the year but it's still been largely solid and good enough to win most nights. All teams have ebbs and flows and I'm actually glad we have some room in our play to improve heading into the playoffs. You need to peak at the right time to go far.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Ehlers needs to go back to the basics right now because what he’s best at isn’t working. It’s always the same with most players. Start over and go from there. He still has his positives though.
Absolutely.

Which player (other than 37, 54, and maybe 44) hasn't slumped at some point this season?

Some have been more egregious than others (hello 4) but it is natural and can be driven by a number of factors us regular Joe's aren't privy to like injury, sickness, personal issues or confidence.

However, over this last few weeks, Ehlers has been on the granddaddy of slumps. Not only is he not generating much at all, but he's turning the puck over at nearly every turn.

I love Ehlers. I want him to stay long term and win 🏆 with us.

I think if Nik could find a way to manage his internal monologue, he'd be far more consistent. While with some players, their give a shit index is super low (hi PLD), I think Ehlers cares too much and really carries his performances with him.

I'll take a player like that any day over one who dgaf.

Last edited:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I totally agree. However, there is reason for concern and you don't want to continue heading in the wrong direction.

Bones' job right now is to get the team recommitted to the system and fundamentals that got us here.

I was watching a really interesting analysis of the Florida Panthers and why they have to be considered a cup favorite right now.

They're playing Maurice's system to a T. They have the perfect roster makeup to maximize that system.

Remember how earlier in the season we were comparing this team to 17-18? I think that's because Paul and Rick's systems are very similar.

The main difference as far as I can tell is Bowness is a bit more risk adverse. Maurice has his team playing almost a full court press starting at the oppositions redline, aggressively forechecking the puck carrier and having the other 2 forwards pinching off their options. Bowness prefers to have that happen at their blue line and neutral zone which trades off offensive zone turnovers and possession time for more support tracking into our zone.

The problem with both systems is you need total buy in because of one player doesn't execute the whole thing collapses.

enuffidiotsalready

Nov 25, 2019
Oh yeh Ehlers is playing with zero confidence right now. Connor was playing in a similar way not that long ago. Now the last handful of games he’s money. I’m so thankful for our depth up front. If it’s not this guy it’s another guy. This will pay dividends come the playoffs.
hark; is that a positive outlook?
does that belong here?
j/k
thanks for that!

Reactions: Inanna

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Is this a fair comparison with respect to their contributions to the Jets?

Sean Monahan (soft mitts, high hockey IQ, a bit on the slow skating side, PK'er) = Brian Little (soft mitts, decent skater, good for ~50 pts per annum)
i never thought of that, but Monahan I think is a similar quality guy to what Little was.

Little was probably a better passer and better defensively (though Monahan is no slouch)
Monahan looks like he has a bit more scoring touch and size and uses it well

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Especially when you consider all the challenges this year... Helle and Scheif were going to be traded at TD, Bowness system suppressed offence, fourth liner Namestnikov as our 2C, Arniel should be coach, Lauer should be fired, anyone but Monahan at TD, Appleton shouldn't be on the team, we didn't trade for Konecny...

Its a miracle this team won any games at all...
Brilliantly put in perspective.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

Is Connor "money" or is he boosting his point totals with 55 doing all the work on his line and him getting easy PP secondary assists on a unit where 13, 23 and 55 are the driving the PP unit. Connor looks like ass to me right now. That play he had against the Wild where in the last 2 mins of the 2nd where he turned the puck over at the offensive blue line leading to Rossi all alone in front of Brossoit would get any other Jet forward benched. @Gm0ney always says that he makes a handful of plays every night that would get Ehlers benched and I am inclined to agree.

If he is so good, let's play him on the Monahan line and see if he can get that line going.

VGK are decimated by injuries missing their 1 C and 1 D. Not sure they should be a comparison yardstick while we are at full health.

Lightning are considered by many as not even making the playoffs.

Leafs are an awfully constructed team with one guy carrying them.

Avalanche are absolutely in crisis right now, just read their board.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Is Connor "money" or is he boosting his point totals with 55 doing all the work on his line and him getting easy PP secondary assists on a unit where 13, 23 and 55 are the driving the PP unit. Connor looks like ass to me right now. That play he had against the Wild where in the last 2 mins of the 2nd where he turned the puck over at the offensive blue line leading to Rossi all alone in front of Brossoit would get any other Jet forward benched. @Gm0ney always says that he makes a handful of plays every night that would get Ehlers benched and I am inclined to agree.

If he is so good, let's play him on the Monahan line and see if he can get that line going.

VGK are decimated by injuries missing their 1 C and 1 D. Not sure they should be a comparison yardstick while we are at full health.

Lightning are considered by many as not even making the playoffs.

Leafs are an awfully constructed team with one guy carrying them.

Avalanche are absolutely in crisis right now, just read their board.
It isn't everyone's job to "drive a line"... some people are really good at putting the puck in the net at the end of the "drive", a la Connor

I'm gonna petition the HHOF to rescind Brett Hull, Mike Bossy, and all other pure snipers inductions because all they did was score goals

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

Jets defense which had been the envy of the league is now showing signs of falling apart. Look at that xGA/60 line... which has been much better than league average now inching close to league average (and has been much worse than league average lately considering this is a 15 game rolling average).

With the bad decisions and stubbornness Bowness has shown since the ASB my expectations for this team have been greatly lowered.

Reactions: hn777

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
It isn't everyone's job to "drive a line"... some people are really good at putting the puck in the net at the end of the "drive", a la Connor

I'm gonna petition the HHOF to rescind Brett Hull, Mike Bossy, and all other pure snipers inductions because all they did was score goals

A guy who is really good at putting the puck in the net who hasn't really put the puck in the net? He has 2 goals in 12 games since returning to the lineup, all the while playing in prime scoring situations on the top line and the top PP unit. If he is a scorer then he needs to score because when he's not scoring he right now is like how Laine used to be, expect unlike Laine who for the most part was shielded playing down the lineup in easier minutes, he is being forcefed top minutes where he and his line are absolutely drowning.

Reactions: Bigfish and hn777

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
A guy who is really good at putting the puck in the net who hasn't really put the puck in the net? He has 2 goals in 12 games since returning to the lineup, all the while playing in prime scoring situations on the top line and the top PP unit. If he is a scorer then he needs to score because when he's not scoring he right now is like how Laine used to be, expect unlike Laine who for the most part was shielded playing down the lineup in easier minutes, he is being forcefed top minutes where he and his line are absolutely drowning.
He has 37 points in 38 games, good for second on the jets in poinnts per game. What would be an acceptable PPG in your eyes? What would absolve him from your constant wrath? 50 points in 38 games? 80?

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
He has 37 points in 38 games, good for second on the jets in poinnts per game. What would be an acceptable PPG in your eyes? What would absolve him from your constant wrath? 50 points in 38 games? 80?

Not being just a +1 in goals ahead of only Stanley, Gustafsson and Kupari would be a good start. Being atleast middle of the pack in even strength plus-minus would go a long way instead of being ahead of the only 3 guys who are routine healthy scratches. Let's start off with a decent plus-minus then we'll talk about PPG.

Reactions: Bigfish and hn777

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad