Post-Game Talk: Jets 4 - Wild 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I can’t do anything about the greater toxicity other than do my best and emphathize when someone mentions it which is what I’m trying to do when you mentioned toxic messages.
No room for any private message bs directed at anyone for any reason … period.

As far as “toxic masculinity” goes, I hate that term. Too many snowflakes or agenda junkies love that term (I’m not saying that’s the case here, since context is so important).

Bottom line, love everyone and make respect a priority. Now how ‘bout those Jets…

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
They asked Bowness about it and he said still 6 to 8 week window but him skating is always good.
Yeah, I got a little too optimistic about Connor returning in maybe 2 weeks, but your quite likely right, about 6 - 8 weeks. Very good sign he's skating, and from what I saw, moving that leg freely. From what I see, there's a chance we see him in the lineup in 4 weeks, and the outside 6 weeks. Just a guess tho.

BTW -- Happy New Year to @Jets 31 -- love your input on our forum.:nod:

Last edited:

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Lovely stuff.

This train is rolling despite the power play. With Helly buttoning things down the way he does, this team has some serious potential, especially if things can be tweaked.

Its my suspicion that Kaprisov is a dink. And, he may be a swine's dink.

Onward.
You know, as the other person I know that has zoology in their background, this is a disturbing image. Yeesh. :eek3:

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
There's at least 4 other females in here, that I know of, and two have chosen to keep their status confidential.

Given some of the toxic attacks that arrive in private messages, it might be a wise thing to do.
If you've experienced that on here I'm really sorry.

I know who some of the others are but I haven't been truly active on HF Jets for years so I don't recognise everyone anymore

Fortunately in my nine years of HF Boards I haven't received a single bad DM on here.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I haven't done a statistical comparison (and have no idea how) but I'll wager that the toxic masculinity directed at me privately in here is at a lower level than in the world at large.

First, let me preface this by saying that in no way am I trying to argue along any grounds whatsoever of relative privation, so as to say one person's harassment is 'not as bad' as another's; I can only speak of numbers or trends, as I often do.

Having said that:

The best analysis I’ve seen on toxic behaviour online (Pew Research Center, which is the gold standard on such studies) is that, by and large, women and men experience it at basically the same rate, but of different types — you’d be likelier to get an unsolicited genital picture or an attack on your appearance, I’d be likelier to get a death threat or a SWATting attempt.

I have seen counter-arguments to this that basically engage in bad faith base-rate fallacies to distort a narrative. For instance, a recent study in the Calgary Herald baldly claimed that most harassment at Civic Hall happened to "women and people of color". Of course, you can see that this is a combination of two factors, and it allowed for some fast-and-loose statistical abuses -- Calgary's male mayor Naheed Nenshi was not white, so he was no longer a man, but a "people of color". "Women and People of Color" is over 75% of the population, but of course they don't want you to think about that.

And of course, if you did any single variate analysis, you'd see that it was about an even gender split, but such an obvious fact wouldn't move any headlines for a left-leaning paper that didn't care one whit about base rate fallacy :P

As to our experience on this board: the fact that you and I can attest to receiving harassment less than the 'world at large' should only ever be parsed as a testimony as to the above average level of humanity that we as a forum exhibit on average.

To the women you know on this forum who might not be swayed by this analysis, well of course, I'll never tell any human being what they should or shouldn't be afraid of; fears are not required in any way to be statistical or logical or even rational. I'd only ask them to consider two questions:

Which animal are you more scared of: a shark, or a pig?
Which animal is statistically FAR likelier to kill you: a shark, or a pig?

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
As far as “toxic masculinity” goes, I hate that term. Too many snowflakes or agenda junkies love that term (I’m not saying that’s the case here, since context is so important).

Are you familiar with the term "water toxicity"?

That is, a phrase that describes something that isn't just important, isn't just positive, isn't just good, but is in fact *vital* to human existence; and it describes how this extremely vital and positive thing can nevertheless be toxic if consumed at levels far beyond normal human capacity? You know, like in that radio station that did some crazy 'hydration challenge for a new video game system' and they got their asses sued off when a listener literally drank water until it poisoned them?

That's the extremes you should be thinking of when you hear 'toxic masculinity', not the hypocrite women who threw that term around with all the accuracy of a homeopathic pregnancy test, until Will Smith slapped Chris Rock, then they did an instant 180 on the topic so fast that it would make your molars spin.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
To the women you know on this forum who might not be swayed by this analysis, well of course, I'll never tell any human being what they should or shouldn't be afraid of; fears are not required in any way to be statistical or logical or even rational. I'd only ask them to consider two questions:

Which animal are you more scared of: a shark, or a pig?
Which animal is statistically FAR likelier to kill you: a shark, or a pig?
Excellent analysis, my friend.

Ironically, I spent a lengthy career labelled with the tiresome childish epithet of "shark" and now that I'm a retired old fart in here I get called a "pig" because I was too forward with the lovely Inanna.

Even more ironic: I'm pretty sure I know Inanna's real first name and where she works and I have kept her information confidential to protect her privacy. Having seen her in real life, she is very beautiful and charming, even though she seems to take special delight in winding me up in here and making fun of me. To celebrate the end of my alcohol prohibition, we're visiting my favourite restaurant for dinner on Friday and when I see the gorgeous Inanna I won't say anything or reveal anything.

That's how you fight back against toxic masculinity.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB

Ironically, I spent a lengthy career labelled with the tiresome childish epithet of "shark" and now that I'm a retired old fart in here I get called a "pig" because I was too forward with the lovely Inanna.

Even more ironic: I'm pretty sure I know Inanna's real first name and where she works and I have kept her information confidential to protect her privacy. Having seen her in real life, she is very beautiful and charming, even though she seems to take special delight in winding me up in here and making fun of me. To celebrate the end of my alcohol prohibition, we're visiting my favourite restaurant for dinner on Friday and when I see the gorgeous Inanna I won't say anything or reveal anything.

Yes, you are absolutely correct; the absolute best way to fight back against toxic masculinity is to uphold the stereotypical masculine ideals, but not to a chest-thumping, prick-waving degree that you turn a good thing bad. The things we associate with being stereotypically masculine are very important, when (like water) they are properly measured and dosed. Including, of course, being gentlemanly and poised in the way you've described. Inanna is a very well respected member of our board and of course deserves the respect shown to her.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville

That is, a phrase that describes something that isn't just important, isn't just positive, isn't just good, but is in fact *vital* to human existence; and it describes how this extremely vital and positive thing can nevertheless be toxic if consumed at levels far beyond normal human capacity? You know, like in that radio station that did some crazy 'hydration challenge for a new video game system' and they got their asses sued off when a listener literally drank water until it poisoned them?

That's the extremes you should be thinking of when you hear 'toxic masculinity', not the hypocrite women who threw that term around with all the accuracy of a homeopathic pregnancy test, until Will Smith slapped Chris Rock, then they did an instant 180 on the topic so fast that it would make your molars spin.
Unfortunately a segment of society has adopted that phrase more for what is represented in your last paragraph, but I hear what you’re saying.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
Yep. Apparently we've been a dirty team ever since the Jets returned into the NHL.

That was the most comical statement I think I have ever read on here :laugh:
Love how Minny fans call us dirty when they cheered for Reeves for many years and continue to cheer for assclowns like Hartman and Foligno. I hate the Wild. Nearly as much as Vegas.

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022

Thank you. Your courtesy is much appreciated, especially when I've teased or wound you up in here.

You do realize your comments work both ways, Stumbley? If you're visiting my establishment next Friday (my second last day of work, oh joy! ) it means I'll get to check you out, too. Don't worry, I won't reveal anything at all about you to anyone in here. (Although you really should get someone to check out that large hump on your back.)

Last edited:

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
To every female poster who has had to experience this: my sincerest apologies - no one should have to put up with this.
While I didn't want to raise the issue and don't want to discuss it here, I do want to stress that this board is a LOVELY place to visit and I am treated very well. Especially given the fact that this is by nature a male place to hang out, a masculine refuge that I'm visiting. Which is what makes it interesting and kind of cool.

For the record, I'm not a snowflake and don't wilt under stern comments or angry frowns from men. But I don't think guys realize the daily little putdowns and insults that we are subjected to.

Tiny incident. I was wheeling through Sobey's yesterday and was looking at a shelf instead of where I was going. I bumped a guy's cart. I apologized and smiled and moved to go by him. When I was maybe a meter past him and with our backs to each other, he hissed in a loud whisper "Stupid bitch!".

That's a really insignificant thing and I didn't give it a second thought, but it happens all the time. In 2024 in Winnipeg, women will receive this kind of abuse all the time. And 'abuse' is way too strong a word. It's just the attitude from some men, either by habit or when they feel threatened.

And the guys in here have been wonderful. I've received maybe 30 messages tops which were vicious or obscene or usually both and that's in more than a year and a half. So, to reference to my original comment way back when, this place is statistically way nicer than the real world.

Now I'm going to shut up and go back to following hockey. When I'm not winding up Stumbley again.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
While I didn't want to raise the issue and don't want to discuss it here, I do want to stress that this board is a LOVELY place to visit and I am treated very well. Especially given the fact that this is by nature a male place to hang out, a masculine refuge that I'm visiting. Which is what makes it interesting and kind of cool.

For the record, I'm not a snowflake and don't wilt under stern comments or angry frowns from men. But I don't think guys realize the daily little putdowns and insults that we are subjected to.

Tiny incident. I was wheeling through Sobey's yesterday and was looking at a shelf instead of where I was going. I bumped a guy's cart. I apologized and smiled and moved to go by him. When I was maybe a meter past him and with our backs to each other, he hissed in a loud whisper "Stupid bitch!".

That's a really insignificant thing and I didn't give it a second thought, but it happens all the time. In 2024 in Winnipeg, women will receive this kind of abuse all the time. And 'abuse' is way too strong a word. It's just the attitude from some men, either by habit or when they feel threatened.

And the guys in here have been wonderful. I've received maybe 30 messages tops which were vicious or obscene or usually both and that's in more than a year and a half. So, to reference to my original comment way back when, this place is statistically way nicer than the real world.

Now I'm going to shut up and go back to following hockey. When I'm not winding up Stumbley again.
Not sure whether to laugh at last line, like the general post.

Reactions: Stumbledore

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Not sure whether to laugh at last line, like the general post.
Well, I hate to open up another can of worms, but sometimes the 'inappropriate' comments I receive are due to the fact that I've been entirely inappropriate myself and pushed the envelope too far. I felt badly when I teased Stumbley over a year ago and so many people came to my 'defence' and criticized the old lawyer for simply giving back my own vulgar nonsense to me.

Okay, time for lunch and HOCKEY!

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015

sir, this is an arby's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad