Post-Game Talk: Jets 4 - Rags 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
But why pick the date that ypu go back to randomly? Why not Dec 1? Does what happened on Jan 1 have any more relevance to today than Dec 1?

I'm not the one that picked "calendar year 2024", nor am I agreeing with the assertion that the stat shows what it is claimed to show. Simply saying that the evidence, even taken exactly as presented without questioning, does not show what it is claimed to show.

Note that the small sample size is worked into my commentary. 5-8 in 13 games against playoff teams since the new year is far less extreme a result than, say, 50-80 in 130 games against playoff teams. For obvious reasons.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Remember that EN goal that Scheifele scored? Two bounces and in, where a difference of a fraction of a degree or a minor irregularity in the ice means no goal? That's one of a million cases where "bounces" come into play.

If you reread my post as "within the realm of puck luck", maybe that would make it clearer?

When he got overwhelmed on the PP and had to take a penalty after losing the puck to stop a clean two-man SHG breakaway, I suspect?
Oh I just saw a bad turnover by kc at the 15:39 in 3rd period.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Oh I just saw a bad turnover by kc at the 15:39 in 3rd period.

Connor definitely had a far stronger game than normal, and it's more impressive given it's against a team I expected would eat him alive.

Yes that's his issue. Forces passes and it goes back the other way.

Jets are very deep up front. Should be a great playoffs. Hope we snag #1 so Dallas and Colorado can eliminate each other.

There will be three teams in the top of the Central, all of them over 100 points and all of them in the top quarter of the league. One of them is guaranteed to go home early, and maybe even two.

That's why single-elim tournaments are so brutal, but also so beautiful.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
NICE ONE JETS!!

Way to go Mark!!!

Seeing a few games now, initially people are saying Monahan and Toffoli are very slow and it will hamper the Jets speed. Obviously they are not speedsters, but their IQ's are very good, when they rush they are able to create.

I Still think the Jets 2017-18 TOP 6 still the best in terms of talent.
But the Jets top 6 now has players that produce greasy goals or goals near the net with Monahan, Toffoli and Villardi.

Still hoping we get Villardi back for the playoffs. It will create better options in the power play with 2 lines as well.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I'm not the one that picked "calendar year 2024", nor am I agreeing with the assertion that the stat shows what it is claimed to show. Simply saying that the evidence, even taken exactly as presented without questioning, does not show what it is claimed to show.

Note that the small sample size is worked into my commentary. 5-8 in 13 games against playoff teams since the new year is far less extreme a result than, say, 50-80 in 130 games against playoff teams. For obvious reasons.
I didn't pick it either, but it seemed like you were OK with it for whatever reason

The issue I'm speaking to here is confirmation bias. Some poster might think the Jets suck vs playoff teams so to prove his point, he chooses (sometimes subconsciously btw) a period of time where our results vs playoff teams supports his opinion

Or someone picks a random date (which is s likely in this scenario since they chose Jan 1... why is that day any more or less significant than any other? It ain't)

If you were to go back, say, 10 days before that, ypu could add 2 more wins (one vs boston). Why exclude those dates?

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I didn't pick it either, but it seemed like you were OK with it for whatever reason

The issue I'm speaking to here is confirmation bias. Some poster might think the Jets suck vs playoff teams so to prove his point, he chooses (sometimes subconsciously btw) a period of time where our results vs playoff teams supports his opinion

Or someone picks a random date (which is s likely in this scenario since they chose Jan 1... why is that day any more or less significant than any other? It ain't)

If you were to go back, say, 10 days before that, ypu could add 2 more wins (one vs boston). Why exclude those dates?
Yeah, the "in recent memory" stats generally start with a narrative and the perfect point is picked. I should look into it, there's probably a way to determine what the average "worst streak is", if you look back on all "last N" streaks possible in a year, and then compare what the actual worst streak was. Could probably give you some useful information about how well they actually HAVE / haven't done all year.

See, now you got me thinking. One day I'll do a GDT devoted entirely to narrative busting. It'll be a good way to get roasted by most of the board :P

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I assume they are referring to Arneil. He was there for five years and Rangers fans tend to speak very poorly of him.......not sure if there's even any substance to it.
I was wondering that also when I read it, sour grapes about Arniel makes more sense because I can't believe Bones would have a rep as a nut job anywhere

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Connor definitely had a far stronger game than normal, and it's more impressive given it's against a team I expected would eat him alive.

There will be three teams in the top of the Central, all of them over 100 points and all of them in the top quarter of the league. One of them is guaranteed to go home early, and maybe even two.

That's why single-elim tournaments are so brutal, but also so beautiful.
I think it’s more a matter of seeing what you want to see. I thought kc created some turnovers with his speed and was mostly clean on zone exits, created a lot offensively. His lack of physicality can be annoying. He is who he is though.

Jaytee

Feb 27, 2015
Yes that's his issue. Forces passes and it goes back the other way.

Jets are very deep up front. Should be a great playoffs. Hope we snag #1 so Dallas and Colorado can eliminate each other.
Colorado doesn't scare me. The Jets do well against Colorado, and I think would beat them in a seven game series.

Dallas, on the other hand, terrifies me, because for whatever reason, the Jets can't beat them, even though I believe the Jets (and Colorado, for that matter) are both better teams than Dallas.

Sometimes that's just the way it goes. Winnipeg can't beat Toronto or Montreal, either, even though they're a better team than Toronto, and an infinitely better team than Montreal.

Vegas is another. The Jets regularly crap the bed against Vegas, but the way Vegas is playing against everybody else, they might not even make the playoffs, which is my fondest hope.

We'll see, I guess.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I think it’s more a matter of seeing what you want to see. I thought kc created some turnovers with his speed and was mostly clean on zone exits, created a lot offensively.

Well, I definitely thought he had a strong game and definitely stronger than I thought he would against the Rangers. Just answering the question that was asked, cause I had the answer handy. But yeah, Connor's had some bad games but this definitely didn't seem like one of them to me.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It was not a narrative it is a fact they were 4-8- 1 vs playoff teams since January.
They needed this win and to win a few more like this to shake the 'narrative'

And what was their record against PO teams before January?

I'm discounting some of those recent losses because of flu.

Some were concerning because they got away from what had worked. They needed to get back to that. I think they have. Now we need to see them keep it up. But this team has shown that they are legit.

Last edited:

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
1710906407438.jpeg

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Yeah, the "in recent memory" stats generally start with a narrative and the perfect point is picked. I should look into it, there's probably a way to determine what the average "worst streak is", if you look back on all "last N" streaks possible in a year, and then compare what the actual worst streak was. Could probably give you some useful information about how well they actually HAVE / haven't done all year.

See, now you got me thinking. One day I'll do a GDT devoted entirely to narrative busting. It'll be a good way to get roasted by most of the board :P
Sounds like a lot of work, considering the fact that time is a man-made construct and neither the past nor the future actually exist

(I'm thinking the weed might have kicked in)

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
It's where the Laffs will be come the second round of the playoffs.
It may just be the sadist in my, but I want the Leafs to dominate and sail their way to the finals to have Hellybuck slam the door and utterly destroy their fans hopes and dreams while we all party at Portage and Main.

Question: Who will be the Jets Streveler?

• Haha
Reactions: Ponds and Jets 31
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad