Post-Game Talk: Jets 4 - Islanders 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
As to the bolded part I would imagine that any of those would be scheduled a fair bit in advance( I could be wrong) and while one of the two days Thursday or Friday would have been a designated day off in accordance with NHLPA guidelines the 2nd of these days was something Bowness (likely in conjunction with Chevy & Chipman) was in response to the grueling schedule the players have had lately. So if something had been organized then said player or players would honor the commitment regardless of "the day off".

I would imagine those with families will spend as much time with them doing the normal day to day stuff families do while getting as much rest as possible, seeing as how the Jets will be away for close to week once they get back to "work",

The single guys are doing whatever it is singles guys do, some maybe having a drink at your work establishment hoping to see Stumbledore mooning over you :D.
I was never mooning, but hey don't let the facts get in the way of a good line. Come ASB when some things become visible, especially the second piece, you'll be more than mooning.

Reactions: Inanna

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Scheifele still not skating, I would be surprised to see him back in the lineup by the end of the month

Argh. Reminds me of the old PoMo Injury Update Free Translate Service:

"Game day decision" = We've staunched the bleeding, but for how long?

"Day to day" = Surgery scheduled, pressbox popcorn machine unplugged

"Week to week" = Sourcing transplant, scouring waiver wire

"Long-term injury" = Jersey to rafters incoming

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
If he is on the road trip, he likely plays at some point on it. Teams don't usually bring along players on road trips that they know won't be part of the roster.
Agreed, usually they don't. The California swing with the dads in tow was an exception, hence Connor and Kupari both travelled with the team.

Reactions: Jets 31

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I know. Feels like I’m going through hockey withdrawal right now.

I'll do my usual promotion of other hockey leagues during the all-star break, but if you're feeling the itch, I'm sure there's a ton of great options out there tonight.

I'll be in Morris to watch the second-place Pembina Valley Twisters of the MMJHL tonight.

If Jr A isn't your thing, (and I can see why if you live in WPG, lol) everyone should be checking out the St James Jr Canucks - They're on a historic run in that league right now.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
If he is on the road trip, he likely plays at some point on it. Teams don't usually bring along players on road trips that they know won't be part of the roster.
Ya Bowness said he's going, won't player tomorrow but will be looked at again for Monday. He said when team doctors clear him then he will play.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
I think Ehlers went on a road trip earlier in the season and never got on the ice so even though Scheifele is on the trip I don't think means that he is close, he hasn't even gone on the ice to practice and test out what ails him. Team is going good and should be extra careful in terms of getting him back.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think Ehlers went on a road trip earlier in the season and never got on the ice so even though Scheifele is on the trip I don't think means that he is close, he hasn't even gone on the ice to practice and test out what ails him. Team is going good and should be extra careful in terms of getting him back.
If he wasn’t close he wouldn’t be on the trip. Much easier to get regular treatment at home. I just leave it to the doctors to clear players or not. I don’t know if this idea of being extra careful is actually a thing as doctors have a primary duty to players (patients) not the team. A doctor will clear a player based on the medical evidence not the wishes of the player or the team. After that the coach can play them or not, but the player will know he has been medically cleared to play so a coach has to balance what impact that has on the player and the team.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
It looks like they hope he can be ready at some point on this trip -
But they will not let him out there unless they are absolutely sure there is a chance that he could tweak the injury - especially if it is a groin issue.
Those injuries can linger for months if you try to push your return.
I liked Bones comment after practice where he stated they are not letting him on the ice at all - smart and pretty much confirms they are being very careful.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It looks like they hope he can be ready at some point on this trip -
But they will not let him out there unless they are absolutely sure there is a chance that he could tweak the injury - especially if it is a groin issue.
Those injuries can linger for months if you try to push your return.
I liked Bones comment after practice where he stated they are not letting him on the ice at all - smart and pretty much confirms they are being very careful.
As I stated in an earlier post it is in the hands of team doctors that have a primary duty to the player (patient). It sounds like being off skates/ice is part of the recovery plan. The team doctors will clear the player based on the medical evidence. After that the coach will decide when and if he will play. A team is free to be extra cautious, but the player will know they have been medically cleared. Ideally they are on the same page on a return to play schedule.

We just saw something similar with Connor who came back earlier than expected. Bones merely said he has been medically cleared to play so he will play.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
As I stated in an earlier post it is in the hands of team doctors that have a primary duty to the player (patient). It sounds like being off skates/ice is part of the recovery plan. The team doctors will clear the player based on the medical evidence. After that the coach will decide when and if he will play. A team is free to be extra cautious, but the player will know they have been medically cleared. Ideally they are on the same page on a return to play schedule.

We just saw something similar with Connor who came back earlier than expected. Bones merely said he has been medically cleared to play so he will play.
Agreed -
I was commenting more on the type of injury - groins are voodoo and very hard to clear.
I've had two in my playing days - one cleared up in two weeks and one was almost 2 months - both felt exactly the same when they happened and through recovery. But that last one nagged and I aggravated it a couple of times coming back -
I'd assume these docs are better than the ones I was dealing with :sarcasm:- but from a players feel, sometimes they feel great when they are not.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Agreed -
I was commenting more on the type of injury - groins are voodoo and very hard to clear.
I've had two in my playing days - one cleared up in two weeks and one was almost 2 months - both felt exactly the same when they happened and through recovery. But that last one nagged and I aggravated it a couple of times coming back -
I'd assume these docs are better than the ones I was dealing with :sarcasm:- but from a players feel, sometimes they feel great when they are not.
The Jets contract with some of the top doctors in Manitoba and certainly ones with impeccable reputations. IMO at least you just have to trust the process. Leave it to the doctors and they will clear the player based on medical evidence. After that Bones seems to be hands off and reinserts the player after medical clearance. I'm guessing he has learned from experience this helps make a happy room.

Reactions: LowLefty

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
The Jets contract with some of the top doctors in Manitoba and certainly ones with impeccable reputations. IMO at least you just have to trust the process. Leave it to the doctors and they will clear the player based on medical evidence. After that Bones seems to be hands off and reinserts the player after medical clearance. I'm guessing he has learned from experience this helps make a happy room.
I hope it doesn't drag out - but I understand if it does.
It'll be great to see our complete top 6 in action - and I assume the org is just as anxious as the deadline approached - they'll want to know what they have when the lineup is complete and as things heat up down the stretch.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I hope it doesn't drag out - but I understand if it does.
It'll be great to see our complete top 6 in action - and I assume the org is just as anxious as the deadline approached - they'll want to know what they have when the lineup is complete and as things heat up down the stretch.
The reality is injuries happen. Overall we have been pretty fortunate so far. I know we have discussed this in the past, but I still believe we are extremely vulnerable on our backend if we every get the injury bug with our defense.

Reactions: Stumbledore

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
The reality is injuries happen. Overall we have been pretty fortunate so far. I know we have discussed this in the past, but I still believe we are extremely vulnerable on our backend if we every get the injury bug with our defense.

We're really only vulnerable to a Morrissey injury.

There's no one within the same stratosphere on this roster - Everyone else can be replaced by a similar quality player, if a tier or two lower.

Our Morrissey contingency is hoping Heinola takes a massive leap with the opportunity.

WpgSteve

Nov 5, 2018
Hopefully they keep Schief out of the line up until he's 110%

Most important thing is having a fully healthy roster for April (and hopefully June lol)
I agree. I'd try to rest him until after the All Star break. It will pay dividends later.

It will also give us a chance to try out a few different player combinations, especially in the PP.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
We're really only vulnerable to a Morrissey injury.

There's no one within the same stratosphere on this roster - Everyone else can be replaced by a similar quality player, if a tier or two lower.

Our Morrissey contingency is hoping Heinola takes a massive leap with the opportunity.
I think we are much more vulnerable than that, but what you described is a nightmare. Having to hope a very raw rookie can step into the spot of a Norris candidate #1 D. Chances of that is extremely small. They make movies about lesser long shots. But every other defenseman other than maybe Schmidt going down also leaves a hole we are unprepared to fill internally at this time. Lets not forget after Heinola Stanley is the next man up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino