Post-Game Talk: Jets 4 - Islanders 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
We're really only vulnerable to a Morrissey injury.

There's no one within the same stratosphere on this roster - Everyone else can be replaced by a similar quality player, if a tier or two lower.

Our Morrissey contingency is hoping Heinola takes a massive leap with the opportunity.
JoMo is obviously the guy you don't want to go down - we can't replace him.
But we don't have much in the wings that can step in with solid NHL experience (let alone PO experience) if we lose anyone.
The same can be said for our forwards but it's less impactful when you can reduce 4th line minutes - if you start doing that with your third pair in the PO's, the top 4 will get worn down - and with our age on D, that can be a real problem.
I can see Chevy looking for a versatile Dman as a priority at the deadline -

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I think we are much more vulnerable than that, but what you described is a nightmare. Having to hope a very raw rookie can step into the spot of a Norris candidate #1 D. Chances of that is extremely small. They make movies about lesser long shots. But every other defenseman other than maybe Schmidt going down also leaves a hole we are unprepared to fill internally at this time. Lets not forget after Heinola Stanley is the next man up.

I agree it's a nightmare, but it's just not solvable right now. (Maybe it is, but it would be really expensive and tough)

I actually see having Stanley as the #8 Defenseman on the roster is a pretty good option IMO. You're never getting a great player in that position.

Joe Morrow (Trade deadline pickup) was picking up meaningful big-time minutes for the Jets in '18, and that team easily could have won the cup.

I guess you could get a similar player to Morrow on the cheap, but that doesn't really solve the problems that you guys are worried about.

The Jets have the best third pair in the league, metrics-wise, so picking up a depth defenseman is a risky proposition to me, unless they're gonna be our seventh guy, and if they are, you're looking at a Morrow-type, who would be probably just as good as Heinola or Stanley IMO.

EDIT: The weak link on this team on paper is Pionk - I really don't like his game, lol - but he's having such a good year, and playing so well right now, finding an upgrade that will help out this season would be really tough.

Last edited:

WpgSteve

Nov 5, 2018
If we got Chychurn, who's place would he take?

I'd play him 2 LD with Dillon opposite on his off side. Pionk plays as a forward and bumps Appleton to the pressbox.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
EDIT: The weak link on this team on paper is Pionk - I really don't like his game, lol - but he's having such a good year, and playing so well right now, finding an upgrade that will help out this season would be really tough.

Same... I actually like Schmidt over Pionk more at this point. He has been very chaotic defensively in some games as of late, esp high forechecking pressure games like the Wild and the Tampa game. I worry about him the most when the playoff style hockey is being played.

If we got Chychurn, who's place would he take?

I'd play him 2 LD with Dillon opposite on his off side. Pionk plays as a forward and bumps Appleton to the pressbox.

He plays with Dillon and Pionk plays sheltered minutes with Samberg on the 3rd pairing.

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
Just curious as to opinions here...

Bowness said he's given the team "two days off". I'm wondering what the players do when they have time off. Do they fall face down on the bed and not move for two days (which would be my choice) or do they pursue normal life with a gf or wife or go ice fishing or what? Is this when they get the car serviced or take the kids tobogganing? I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Also, when you get two days off, does that mean you don't have to do promo videos or photos, attend events at the request of the team, visit hospitals, etc.?
Just a follow up to the question. This is what happened re the Jets and a day off on Wednesday.

Coach Bowness gave his team Wednesday off even though it was already a scheduled day off as he wanted to give the guys an opportunity to have a "mental and physical break" during this time before resuming their schedule with a practice on Friday.
Despite it being an off day, 10 players plus practice goalie Jason Kasdorf hit the ice to get their legs moving with skills coach Dave Cameron.
Those ten were: Kyle Connor, Dylan DeMelo, Dominic Toninato, Gabriel Vilardi, Logan Stanley, David Gustafsson, Rasmus Kupari, Adam Lowry, Brenden Dillon & Axel Jonsson-Fjallby.
Looks like players wanted to stay sharp with a skate.
-David Minuk
May be an image of 10 people, people playing hockey and text

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: