Post-Game Talk: Jets 4 - Ducks 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
Just back to the hotel after seeing the game in Anaheim. Great to see the boys come back and get the two points! Really hope KFC is going to be ok.

A few thoughts on seeing a game in Anaheim:

- it was a thin crowd this evening... The rink felt only 2/3 full. I got my tickets from Ticketmaster (not resale) for 19 bucks - that is waaay cheaper than the cheapest Jets tickets. I know circumstances are different everywhere, but I really think people need to stop obsessing over the Jets games attendance. Lots of teams have trouble filling their rinks at various points in time.
- there were lots of other Jets fans at the game. It was a blast cheering with my fellow Winnipeggers in California.
-Anaheim fans were all friendly and polite. Even after we went ahead and then won the game. Classy fans!

Can't wait to see the Jets take on the Kings on Wednesday!
Booooo PLD Booooo 🤣

GJG!
A few other differences - they had a police officer sitting mid-row by the glass. The attendant checks
Just back to the hotel after seeing the game in Anaheim. Great to see the boys come back and get the two points! Really hope KFC is going to be ok.

A few thoughts on seeing a game in Anaheim:

- it was a thin crowd this evening... The rink felt only 2/3 full. I got my tickets from Ticketmaster (not resale) for 19 bucks - that is waaay cheaper than the cheapest Jets tickets. I know circumstances are different everywhere, but I really think people need to stop obsessing over the Jets games attendance. Lots of teams have trouble filling their rinks at various points in time.
- there were lots of other Jets fans at the game. It was a blast cheering with my fellow Winnipeggers in California.
-Anaheim fans were all friendly and polite. Even after we went ahead and then won the game. Classy fans!

Can't wait to see the Jets take on the Kings on Wednesday!
Booooo PLD Booooo 🤣

GJG!
A few other game notes:
They had a police officer sitting mid-row against the glass in my section.
An attendant was going seat to seat checking that everyone was sitting in the correct spot. Decent parking for $10 with a 7 minute walk (unlike LA where parking is crazy expensive, sold-out, or far away).
Based upon comments I heard in the crowd (ex: why is the goalie leaving the net), there were some fans who've never been to a game.
Intermission included 2 kids teams competing in a shootout contest (some very nice goals). There was a contest between 2 rows to see which could pass a duck seat to seat from one end of the row to the other.
50/50 was $9000 (4500 for winner)
Music was at a reasonable level.
Wide corridors.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I'd like to see either of these 2 guys called up. My preference would be Lambert, but Chibrikov is OK with me. Their both good, and "fast."

I would love to see Chibrikov but I think it will be Jeff Malott. He has been the best veteran on the Moose. I just think Winnipeg is not one to rush someone like Lambert or Chibrikov to the NHL. It would be more likely if Bowness feels reshuffling the lines would be harmful though.

Brominator

Sep 12, 2009
WPG
A few other differences - they had a police officer sitting mid-row by the glass. The attendant checks

A few other game notes:
They had a police officer sitting mid-row against the glass in my section.
An attendant was going seat to seat checking that everyone was sitting in the correct spot. Decent parking for $10 with a 7 minute walk (unlike LA where parking is crazy expensive, sold-out, or far away).
Based upon comments I heard in the crowd (ex: why is the goalie leaving the net), there were some fans who've never been to a game.
Intermission included 2 kids teams competing in a shootout contest (some very nice goals). There was a contest between 2 rows to see which could pass a duck seat to seat from one end of the row to the other.
Wide corridors.
- Yeah I was surprised how little the 50/50 was! I guess people who go to Ducks games aren't the gambling type.
- I'm glad no one checked tickets in our section - otherwise they would have booted us from the $169 seats we were sitting in back to the $19 seats I actually paid for 🤣.
- Totally agree on the music level.
- the skating race between those kids was my 5-year old daughters favorite part 😋.. she was saying after the game, I'm so happy orange won.. and also the Jets🤣

Oh, another difference I noticed. While the giveaways at the game were overall not that impressive (I've always thought that the Jets and their sponsors need to step up their game in that department - so was keen to check what a Southern US team does) - one nice giveaway did happen. Passes for 4 to Disneyland. That's a pretty sweet giveaway. I would like to see the Jets give away something I actually wanted at a game occasionally. The carry-on luggage prize is pretty lame.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I would love to see Chibrikov but I think it will be Jeff Malott. He has been the best veteran on the Moose. I just think Winnipeg is not one to rush someone like Lambert or Chibrikov to the NHL. It would be more likely if Bowness feels reshuffling the lines would be harmful though.
Agree, I think it is unlikely the Jets call up one of the kids. We have a deep enough forward group that they will continue with the development plan on the Moose. It would be a nice reward for Malott to get some NHL paychecks, for all the work he has done down on the farm. Saying that any callup is likely seeing mostly PB duty on a team that has been humming along and is now first in the Central. Axel will play and Iafallo will be slotted in the top 6 somewhere, though I'd like to see Vilardi on the 1st with Scheifele and Ehlers.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Nice view of the standings this morning.
Screenshot 2023-12-11 at 7.30.33 AM.png

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Wow. The boys really put on the work books to pull that one out in the third. Nice to see that dimension from the team.

Hoping that Connor is not out very long. 'We need him', says Captain Obvious.

Reactions: Inanna and GNP

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
Agree with the comments above. I've been to a few games in Anaheim and it's always great.

Reactions: GNP

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
It looks like a simple hyperextension injury to me.

The knee-to-knee contact is head on. Connor's knee hyperextends without much rotational force. There's no significant lateral deformity of the joint as he's flying through the air or when he's lying on his side.

A hyperextension mechanism of injury often results in a PCL sprain/tear. PCL injuries feel immediately unstable, which would fit with Connor holding his knee still lying on the ice and not trying to get up until helped.

The injury could of course be more complicated, but he didn't seem to be in that much pain as you might expect with a fracture (to the tibia or patella) or from a multiligament injury.

Uncomplicated PCL injuries don't necessarily require surgery. Recovery is usually 2-3 months.
Thanks @Krauser, this information is very specific.

Reactions: GNP

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
A few other game notes:
in the crowd (ex: why is the goalie leaving the net), there were some fans who've never been to a game.
Wide corridors.
Now why can't they do that in Winnipeg? Always hated going to Jets games and having to wait til the play was started before I could talk to the other guys or hear them.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Stupid plays like that should result in the player who takes a penalty, gets suspended until the player who was injured returns. Not sure how guys will learn that plays like that don't belong in the game.
That would be nice to see, but imagine trying to enforce that criteria on one of the superstars like McDavid or Matthews if they happen to intentionally injure a player (every player can lose their cool) and they have to be suspended for possibly months? That's not good for business and that's why they will never have a rule like that.

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
One thing I know from sports replays is that in slow motion everything looks kind of intentional. But in the heat of the moment it's a bit more blurry. Sometimes what looks like an attempt to injure can just be someone reaching to finish a hit or another guy kind of unexpectedly moving out of the way. So I dunno, benefit of the doubt from me I guess.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
One thing I know from sports replays is that in slow motion everything looks kind of intentional. But in the heat of the moment it's a bit more blurry. Sometimes what looks like an attempt to injure can just be someone reaching to finish a hit or another guy kind of unexpectedly moving out of the way. So I dunno, benefit of the doubt from me I guess.
Yup. In the speed of the game with how competitive it is stuff happens. I'm a very clean player but I've accidentally stuck my leg out before. You feel terrible and you never mean to hurt someone.

That's not to say it's never done intentionally, and any of the really dangerous plays need to be punished regardless of intent (knee on knee, slewfoot, hitting from behind, primary contact with head).

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Agree with the comments above. I've been to a few games in Anaheim and it's always great.
I checked out a game at the Honda Center late last season and I found it pretty average at best. It's a nice 90s rink but with very little atmosphere which is to be expected given that the Ducks are not a contender at all... in some ways it's a glimpse at what CLC would be like if the Jets decided to go through a legit rebuild, haha. I do agree that people need to chill with the attendance freak-outs, the NHL isn't going to revoke the franchise because it's not sold out every night. Anaheim plays to maybe a 2/3 full arena most nights and no one in Orange County gets too worked up about it.

Also, prayers up for KC.

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
Yup. In the speed of the game with how competitive it is stuff happens. I'm a very clean player but I've accidentally stuck my leg out before. You feel terrible and you never mean to hurt someone.

That's not to say it's never done intentionally, and any of the really dangerous plays need to be punished regardless of intent (knee on knee, slewfoot, hitting from behind, primary contact with head).

I played a lot of soccer and the number of times I just straight up kicked a guy in the shins or foot. At least most people on my team understood I wasn't an asshole, just slow. LOL

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

I think because of the 5 and a game misconduct he doesn't get suspended.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
You mean two wins despite big Stan... Samberg is stifled because we don't have a talented partner for him so he plays 12 mins a game.
JoMo was out there driving offense as they chased the game and he was also the lead minute guy on the PP (which was a significant portion of the game) - he was going to take most of the minutes regardless of who Samberg was teamed with.
The third pair, under these circumstances, was not going to see a ton of ice.

Reactions: Inanna and KingBogo

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Bowness - “It’s knee on knee. He sticks his knee out. There’s no other way of looking at it,” Jets head coach Rick Bowness said after the win. “You hope it’s suspendable. But the refs made the right call - a five-minute major, a game misconduct and we’ll see where it goes from there.”

Cronin - “You watch the replay. I even questioned that it was a five-minute [penalty]. I guess there’s an automatic if the guys click their knees together,” Cronin said, per The Athletic. “He goes in, and he tries to hit him with a shoulder check. I feel bad. He’s a heck of a player. Nobody wants to lose a star player like Connor. “When [referee] Kyle [Rehman] came over, I said, ‘Why is it a five? There was no intent there.’ Literally, if you watch his shoulder, he turns his shoulder into Connor. And it’s just they hit knees.”

Based on Rule 50:

50.1 Kneeing - Kneeing is the act of a player leading with his knee and in some cases extending his leg outwards to make contact with his opponent.
50.2 Minor Penalty - The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a minor penalty, based on the severity of the infraction, to a player guilty of kneeing an opponent.
50.3 Major Penalty - The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a major penalty, based on the severity of the infraction, to a player guilty of kneeing an opponent (see 50.5).
50.4 Match Penalty – The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a match penalty if, in his judgment, the player attempted to or deliberately injured his opponent by kneeing.
50.5 Game Misconduct Penalty - When a player has been assessed a major penalty for kneeing he shall also be assessed a Game Misconduct.

The player was given a Major ( based on severity ) and a game misconduct. So based on that, the ref did not see it as an attempt to injure or the player would have received a Match penalty. And it's also obvious the Duck's coach doesn't understand the rules either. The refs can give 5 minutes even if there was no intent.

Reactions: Inanna

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Look at the picture again. No player skates with his feet spread apart.

Reactions: Upperdeckjet
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille