Post-Game Talk: Jets 3 Krackheads 2 in a SO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I think Ehlers had some pretty shaky play during the game (bad turn overs).
He also had a great assist.
Wheeler also had an up and down game. Some really good stuff and some bad stuff.
26 seemed to be rewarded for his play and Ehlers not so much.
PP2 can't use Cole in the bumper it neuters him.
I like the suggestion of flipping Ehlers to the right side so they both can impact the play.

OT: this is where I think usage was the biggest concern. When we go a full 5 minutes in OT Ehlers should have at least 2 shifts and Cole should have gotten a late shift. he's made for 3 on 3 (the space, combined with his smarts, possession and puck control). Why the F$%^ is Lowry out in OT. Why is Wheeler playing 50% of the OT. I loved the results today for Dubois but he scares me in OT when we don't have the puck because his Give a F$%^ meter looks like its near zero until we get the puck then he's balls to the walls looking to score.

Keeping everything in mind I think Scheif, Connor and Dubois should get "A" (top) line minutes for OT. Wheeler, Ehlers and Perfetti should be rotated in with (IMO) Ehlers getting the most ice time of that group.

I would like to know what the coaches shootout line up depth chart looks like especially if Gagner was in the lineup. I think Morrissey shouldn't be too far down the list and would love to see Sam or Cole get looks if we went that deep. I realize Mr. 1000 games is not super likely to be active right now anyways.
Oh and Dallas and your OT bull sh!t...

giphy.gif
They are also trying to manage Ehlers minutes. He is just recovering from missing half a season. They’d rather the bulk of his minutes come 5v5 where he is the most impactful.
I’m sure they have talked to him about it. Players putting team before their points happens often look how Yzerman became D first for Detroit to win.
With Perfetti many coaches are rookie averse and he is aware that he’d likely get the same kind of treatment from most contenders.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
They are also trying to manage Ehlers minutes. He is just recovering from missing half a season. They’d rather the bulk of his minutes come 5v5 where he is the most impactful.
I’m sure they have talked to him about it. Players putting team before their points happens often look how Yzerman became D first for Detroit to win.
With Perfetti many coaches are rookie averse and he is aware that he’d likely get the same kind of treatment from most contenders.

The issue is he gets less ES minutes per game then anyone else in the top 6 sans Cole and even less than Appelton who has also missed moat of the year.

The top 6 incumbents all get at minimum 1 minute more per game then he does.

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
Slick goal by Wheeler
That certainly was. And I liked his move on the near goal in OT. He still bobbles the puck now and then but, on the whole, I like what I see.

Ehlers, also, made a beauty pass to Dubois that resulted in an excellent scoring chance later in the game. I realize that Ehlers is more of an "east/west" sort of player and at times may not play the coach's preferred "straight line" game but he is a dynamic player and works well with Dubois and Connor. Having had a "sports" hernia operation myself, I'm thinking that there is still a lot of caution in Ehlers' game and the way the coach utilizes him. No matter how strong the inserted mesh is, there are still weak points in the area and one never knows when it might "pop".

In spite of what some Rangers' fans were saying, I was on the Pionk band-wagon when he go here. However, not so much now. Aside from his sporadic offensive outbursts, he may be the weakest of the current top 6 Jets' defenders. Could he be on the TDL block?

Solid game by Big Save/Sieve Dave. (I followed him in Calgary....hence the Sieve.) Someone mentioned earlier that he/she/they felt more comfortable with Rittich between the pipes in a shoot-out. Actually, so do I. So, here's a question. Anyone know if a backup goalie has taken over for the starter in a SO situation?

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
That is what im getting at. Everyone in the top 6 has periods of uneven play but it's really only two players that seem to see a reduction in ice time for it.

I also agree with you on OT, no way should guys like Lowry be out there and Ehlers only getting a token short shift.

On the PP you could even put Cole on the right as he's played a lot there as well. We probably need some other players who can play the bumper/down low role first though.
I guess for Cole to get onto PP1 in the near future it's likely not in his preferred role (assuming the bulk of our top 6 are still around. So maybe the PP2 set up is to prep him for that promotion? But at this point Ehlers would slot back in first and we may end up picking up someone else who could jump the line for that type of spot.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
That certainly was. And I liked his move on the near goal in OT. He still bobbles the puck now and then but, on the whole, I like what I see.

Ehlers, also, made a beauty pass to Dubois that resulted in an excellent scoring chance later in the game. I realize that Ehlers is more of an "east/west" sort of player and at times may not play the coach's preferred "straight line" game but he is a dynamic player and works well with Dubois and Connor. Having had a "sports" hernia operation myself, I'm thinking that there is still a lot of caution in Ehlers' game and the way the coach utilizes him. No matter how strong the inserted mesh is, there are still weak points in the area and one never knows when it might "pop".

In spite of what some Rangers' fans were saying, I was on the Pionk band-wagon when he go here. However, not so much now. Aside from his sporadic offensive outbursts, he may be the weakest of the current top 6 Jets' defenders. Could he be on the TDL block?

Solid game by Big Save/Sieve Dave. (I followed him in Calgary....hence the Sieve.) Someone mentioned earlier that he/she/they felt more comfortable with Rittich between the pipes in a shoot-out. Actually, so do I. So, here's a question. Anyone know if a backup goalie has taken over for the starter in a SO situation?
I recall a game (early in the 2.0 era) where the goalie who played the game didn't guard the net in the shootout.
Can't remember who it was but I'm we saw that at least once.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I guess for Cole to get onto PP1 in the near future it's likely not in his preferred role (assuming the bulk of our top 6 are still around. So maybe the PP2 set up is to prep him for that promotion? But at this point Ehlers would slot back in first and we may end up picking up someone else who could jump the line for that type of spot.

Yeah both Conner and Mark sit in his preferred roles. I am quite frankly not a fan of Mark as a HB QB. He's far too stationary and is spends too much time on the far perimeter. I see him more as a down low guy who can walk it to the net from the corner.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Yeah both Conner and Mark sit in his preferred roles. I am quite frankly not a fan of Mark as a HB QB. He's far too stationary and is spends too much time on the far perimeter. I see him more as a down low guy who can walk it to the net from the corner.
You seem very unhappy with Bowness, i think he's doing a great job especially because this is basically last years team and they sucked pure and simple. I don't think we could be doing any better with any other coach, maybe as good but definitely not any better. :thumbu:

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
This game was a good example of why Meier would be huge for the jets... all these years and still no one 'really' fits with ehlers...

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
You seem very unhappy with Bowness, i think he's doing a great job especially because this is basically last years team and they sucked pure and simple. I don't think we could be doing any better with any other coach, maybe as good but definitely not any better. :thumbu:

I'm not unhappy with him. I just think like all coaches he has some blind spots.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The issue is he gets less ES minutes per game then anyone else in the top 6 sans Cole and even less than Appelton who has also missed moat of the year.

The top 6 incumbents all get at minimum 1 minute more per game then he does.
I'm okay trusting Bones on this one. Perfetti is still a rookie and getting to play in the top 6, if the coach pulls him in a little in certain situations I'm sure he is letting Cole know why and has him on board.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm okay trusting Bones on this one. Perfetti is still a rookie and getting to play in the top 6, if the coach pulls him in a little in certain situations I'm sure he is letting Cole know why and has him on board.

I was referring to Ehlers in that post. I'm generally fine with how Cole's been handled this year.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I recall a game (early in the 2.0 era) where the goalie who played the game didn't guard the net in the shootout.
Can't remember who it was but I'm we saw that at least once.
I think Montoya came in for Pavelec because he was so much better in the shootout but I'm old so that may not be accurate. I do know it happened though

Yup, knowing Bowness he made Perfetti feel great about it.

Reactions: Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Wheeler could have easily had a hattrick. He still looks like he has a grenade on his stick at points but the guy just continues to make shit happen and produce. I think he's telling the team that he belongs in the top 6 still and his production supports it.
Wheeler has been pretty good this season i agree, i didn't think he had it in him anymore but he works hard every shift and yes he's producing too .

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I feel uneasy when Rittich is in net because of his rebound control, but I trust him more in shootouts than Helle, if that makes sense. He's also a much better puck handler. I hope Helle understands that there are things he can learn from Rittich.

I couldn't find stats from Rittich in shootouts, but Hellebuyck is apparently almost exactly league average at .667; Rittich could easily be better or could easily be worse.

Reactions: GNP

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
And then back on the 4th.
When Dubois scored Bones followed that up with Perfetti back with 91 rejoining 55 & 26 for a couple of shifts.
Likely feeling the momentum and chance to score.
Then I see Baron back out there again after that.
Hard to tell the logic at times, but I question it less with Bones because of the results.
He spent 1:19 with Kuhlman and Stenlund
I think to much is being made of this. And then earlier comparing it to the equivalent benching dubois is a bit ridiculous imo

Wheeler has been pretty good this season i agree, i didn't think he had it in him anymore but he works hard every shift and yes he's producing too .

Ppl just love to magnify when he mishandles the puck every now and then. 14 goals in 41 pts in 45 gp, and that's including when he was a bit slow after beating the timeline of a broken nut sack . Guy has been solid this year.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Wheeler could have easily had a hattrick. He still looks like he has a grenade on his stick at points but the guy just continues to make shit happen and produce. I think he's telling the team that he belongs in the top 6 still and his production supports it.
I don't think his top 6 role was ever in question, except from the outside. The Jets right now look to be building on two combinations Dubois-Connor, Scheifele-Wheeler. Ehlers and Perfetti keep getting flipped around.

Perfetti has struggled to score with 81-80. But against some more aggressive defensive teams Ehlers has still shown some defensive weakness.

With Appleton playing so well coming back from injury, I am still not sure the top 9 is set. The 3rd line made a very strong case last night, I don't think they gave up any high danger chances, and created quite a few. I get the feeling that a bigger top 6 winger who can set some picks in the offensive zone, to get Connor some space, and get to the net, might be something the Jets look at, with Perfetti being demoted to the 4th line. Which sounds awful for a lot of people but you get into the playoffs and I think you might just double shift your stars in Duby and Scheif, and then you have 3 scoring lines and a solid checking line. and still have the valuable PKers in the lineup.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't think his top 6 role was ever in question, except from the outside. The Jets right now look to be building on two combinations Dubois-Connor, Scheifele-Wheeler. Ehlers and Perfetti keep getting flipped around.

Perfetti has struggled to score with 81-80. But against some more aggressive defensive teams Ehlers has still shown some defensive weakness.

With Appleton playing so well coming back from injury, I am still not sure the top 9 is set. The 3rd line made a very strong case last night, I don't think they gave up any high danger chances, and created quite a few. I get the feeling that a bigger top 6 winger who can set some picks in the offensive zone, to get Connor some space, and get to the net, might be something the Jets look at, with Perfetti being demoted to the 4th line. Which sounds awful for a lot of people but you get into the playoffs and I think you might just double shift your stars in Duby and Scheif, and then you have 3 scoring lines and a solid checking line. and still have the valuable PKers in the lineup.

They should be trying to emulate the 2017-18 template where you had the bottom 9 each playing roughly the same amount of minutes 5 on 5 with PP and PK special teams minutes allocated. For that we'd need another good center like Toews and one more winger.

I have no issue with Cole on 3a/3b line with Toews as his center.for instance. He'd learn a lot from him and still get the appropriate minutes and usage.

Playing him on our current crash and bang fourth would be a waste of time imo.

As for the 91-80-81 combination Noone on that line was scoring but it wasn't for lack of chances. They generated double the amount of scoring chances and high dangerous chances over what they gave up when out there. Imo probably just a cold spell for the trio in terms finish. They likely would have started filling the net if they kept generating what they were.

Last edited:
Reactions: voyageur

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Big Save Dave is turning out to be a hell of a good backup add dirt cheap. You have to give Chevy credit for navigating the backup role behind Helly for the last several seasons.

Hands up everybody that liked the Rittich signing from the get go. Come on, put em up, lets see that hand. There must have been one. :laugh:

This has to be the best PK units we have had in a long long while

Nope.
Longer than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad