Post-Game Talk: Jets 3 Krackheads 2 in a SO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
What annoys me is the blatant double standards. Earlier in the year Cole took a penalty late in second period and a go ahead goal was scored on the resulting PP. He rode the pine the rest of the game. Dubois does the same today leading to the same result and keeps getting all the ice time he can handle. Cole's penalty atleast came on his busting his ass on the back check whereas Dubois was an I credibly selfish play.

I just don't like the whole stick approach especially when it is only applied to rookies or younger players. If that is the standard then the coach needs to damn well hold it consistent for all players.
I don't know, i think Bowness was just trying to get some offense going by moving Ehlers up with Dubois and Connor . Bowness changes his defensive pairings all the time during games so i think it was more looking for a spark more than anything. 34-19-1 is kinda good so i'll give Bowness some leeway here.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
I don't know, i think Bowness was just trying to get some offense going by moving Ehlers up with Dubois and Connor . Bowness changes his defensive pairings all the time during games so i think it was more looking for a spark more than anything. 34-19-1 is kinda good so i'll give Bowness some leeway here.
I agree. At least Bones will do mid-game changes in some form. For almost the entirety of Jets 2.0 we had a coach that refused to do that no matter what was going on. Id rather have a guy experiment and send messages (encouraging and disciplinary) to the players:huh:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I agree. At least Bones will do mid-game changes in some form. For almost the entirety of Jets 2.0 we had a coach that refused to do that no matter what was going on. Id rather have a guy experiment and send messages (encouraging and disciplinary) to the players:huh:
Yeah they jets were down in the third. I don't think samberg played much at all. It was mostly the offensive d guys that were playing to mount a comeback

So much commotion and bitching over perfetti playing a whopping 80 seconds on the fourth line.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Whoa, Nelly, we've got ourselves an old fashioned PGT faceoff. By gar, it's been awhile.
PLD brings more good than bad over the whole season. We'll have to live with his dips and bad penalties, but I'd take him on my team all day long.

(For those reading this tomorrow, there were 2 PGT's posted and have probably been merged)
PLD draws more penalties than any other player in the nhl so I'll take his infractions borne of physical play and passion. I didn't like the penalty last night but you don't want to neuter him and he more than made up for it.

A beauty play by Ehlers on the first goal for the Jets but other than that I didn't really like his game. He pulled a schiefele on the Kraken first goal, all he had to do was skate to the netwith his check, 2 more strides and he could have prevented that goal.

People heated about ehlers and Perfettis usage and I somewhat understand it but saying things like ehlers won't resign or perfettis confidence is shaken is hogwash.

Ehlers usage stays constant, through 2 entirely different coaching staffs. There has to be something that we do not know that is determining this.

Perfetti is a rookie and it is common for rookies to be eased in. It's an accomplishment in itself that he's in the top 6 as a rookie on a conference leader. I doubt it's affecting his confidence. Id actually bet it's protecting it and it's motivation for him.

Rittich was again solid. Turns out he may have been the right move all along instead of re-signing Comrie for double.

Morrissey is just an absolute joy to watch.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I thought Samberg took something in the balls and didn't play at all after that but he was playing pretty good before that especially on the PK

Need to add some depth scoring for sure but when the Jets are being direct we are very good when we are being east/west teams like Seattle eat our lunch.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
PLD draws more penalties than any other player in the nhl so I'll take his infractions borne of physical play and passion. I didn't like the penalty last night but you don't want to neuter him and he more than made up for it.

A beauty play by Ehlers on the first goal for the Jets but other than that I didn't really like his game. He pulled a schiefele on the Kraken first goal, all he had to do was skate to the netwith his check, 2 more strides and he could have prevented that goal.

People heated about ehlers and Perfettis usage and I somewhat understand it but saying things like ehlers won't resign or perfettis confidence is shaken is hogwash.

Ehlers usage stays constant, through 2 entirely different coaching staffs. There has to be something that we do not know that is determining this.

Perfetti is a rookie and it is common for rookies to be eased in. It's an accomplishment in itself that he's in the top 6 as a rookie on a conference leader. I doubt it's affecting his confidence. Id actually bet it's protecting it and it's motivation for him.

Rittich was again solid. Turns out he may have been the right move all along instead of re-signing Comrie for double.

With how Bowness has unlocked Morrissey this season just give Bowness Coach of the year now. It was one of the first things Bowness said when he came here how he used to key on Morrissey as a opposing coach. Remember how alot of people said we need a true #1 defenseman ? Well thanks to Bowness we have 1 now and pretty cheap too .

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
That was a well deserved win.
Nice comeback, Scheif and PLD were calculated killers in the shootout.
Big Save Dave was very much that.

The breakout felt more like before X-MAS when it was coming smooth and easy almost all game.
Lowry and Apples looked great back together.

Perfetti showed several times how good he is under pressure in our end on the boards getting pucks out under control into the neutral zone.

Seattle can come at you like a team of gnats with good speed.
Ehlers had some major gaffes that luckily stayed out of our net. He was buzzing.
The D mostly looked really solid, the missed puck for a keep in by Pionk created a deadly chance against but Dave said not today!

In the Spirit of things I'll give the game 3 out of 3 Chet's from Weird Science.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I think with Ehlers it's purely about fit. Bones wants a hard North/South read and react play and Ehlers is largely east/west and adhoc. Sure it's two coaches now but both coaches at their core have wanted the same things from their players. Moe by his own admission wanted more direct play from Nik and tried to mold him.

So to me it's not so much a coaching thing but an organization identity/template thing. I think our management has a clear idea on how they want the team to play and imo of anyone in the top 6 Fly doesn't match the template. You get that direct read and react play from everyone else including the smaller rookie.

So to me it's not just that I don't think that Ehlers will stay if his usage doesn't improve but I don't know that management will want to pay him big dollars based on how he fits and is used in the current template.

I do get your points on Cole being a rookie but I don't like sending messages to players because they are rookies and should be "happy to be here" so I can use them to send messages to. If there is a standard then it should be applied equally imo.

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Nice clip. You can't beat a small miniskirt on a great pair of legs.
If it's a small skirt, you don't need great legs to get their attention. But you should first think about why you want their attention and what you're going to do with it after you've got their "hopes" up.

Best part of tonight's game was either Lowry or Rittich. Lowry's shot blocks without his stick were amazing and that amount of effort and sacrifice for the team has got to inspire his mates. Rittch played an excellent game and was beaten only by a fabulous tap-in pass and a fluke double pinball. How many of us were expecting him to get beaten on the shootout? He stood tall on both shots and got us the extra point. (Okay, maybe our shooters helped a bit at the other end.)

I'm assuming that Helle is healthy and will make the trip, but it's reassuring to see Rittich return as BSD. I hope it carries over to the Monday game against the Rangers.

Last edited:

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Gotchya. Anyway I think he only spent a few shifts with the 4th line hardly classify that as being benched. He was back with wheeler and Scheifele after.
And then back on the 4th.
When Dubois scored Bones followed that up with Perfetti back with 91 rejoining 55 & 26 for a couple of shifts.
Likely feeling the momentum and chance to score.
Then I see Baron back out there again after that.
Hard to tell the logic at times, but I question it less with Bones because of the results.

Reactions: Stumbledore

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Ha! I read 34-19-1 as a line.
I was like Gus and who are playing?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
With how Bowness has unlocked Morrissey this season just give Bowness Coach of the year now. It was one of the first things Bowness said when he came here how he used to key on Morrissey as a opposing coach. Remember how alot of people said we need a true #1 defenseman ? Well thanks to Bowness we have 1 now and pretty cheap too .
Morrissey taking the next step to a true#1 has renewed my hope we can make a serious cup run and IMO is the biggest argument against the dismantling of this team. We have a Vezina goalie, a Norris caliber defenseman, 2 #1 centers and 2 elite wingers all between the age of 24 - 29. For the life of me I can't see why some see us on the verge of a rebuild. A top organization keeps this group together as best they can even if they need to extend longer then ideal, and pay UFA prices. When they all pass through their primes and are in their mid 30's that is when you rebuild, not just when you are getting started.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
As mentioned in the GDT if I were Ehlers I would be pissed about his usage by being continually played behind players he's better then both on the PP and 3 on 3. It impacts his points and will impact his next deal. He's not sticking around imo.
I think Ehlers had some pretty shaky play during the game (bad turn overs).
He also had a great assist.
Wheeler also had an up and down game. Some really good stuff and some bad stuff.
26 seemed to be rewarded for his play and Ehlers not so much.
PP2 can't use Cole in the bumper it neuters him.
I like the suggestion of flipping Ehlers to the right side so they both can impact the play.

OT: this is where I think usage was the biggest concern. When we go a full 5 minutes in OT Ehlers should have at least 2 shifts and Cole should have gotten a late shift. he's made for 3 on 3 (the space, combined with his smarts, possession and puck control). Why the F$%^ is Lowry out in OT. Why is Wheeler playing 50% of the OT. I loved the results today for Dubois but he scares me in OT when we don't have the puck because his Give a F$%^ meter looks like its near zero until we get the puck then he's balls to the walls looking to score.

Keeping everything in mind I think Scheif, Connor and Dubois should get "A" (top) line minutes for OT. Wheeler, Ehlers and Perfetti should be rotated in with (IMO) Ehlers getting the most ice time of that group.

I would like to know what the coaches shootout line up depth chart looks like especially if Gagner was in the lineup. I think Morrissey shouldn't be too far down the list and would love to see Sam or Cole get looks if we went that deep. I realize Mr. 1000 games is not super likely to be active right now anyways.
Oh and Dallas and your OT bull sh!t...

giphy.gif

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think Ehlers had some pretty shaky play during the game (bad turn overs).
He also had a great assist.
Wheeler also had an up and down game. Some really good stuff and some bad stuff.
26 seemed to be rewarded for his play and Ehlers not so much.
PP2 can't use Cole in the bumper it neuters him.
I like the suggestion of flipping Ehlers to the right side so they both can impact the play.

OT: this is where I think usage was the biggest concern. When we go a full 5 minutes in OT Ehlers should have at least 2 shifts and Cole should have gotten a late shift. he's made for 3 on 3 (the space, combined with his smarts, possession and puck control). Why the F$%^ is Lowry out in OT. Why is Wheeler playing 50% of the OT. I loved the results today for Dubois but he scares me in OT when we don't have the puck because his Give a F$%^ meter looks like its near zero until we get the puck then he's balls to the walls looking to score.

Keeping everything in mind I think Scheif, Connor and Dubois should get "A" (top) line minutes for OT. Wheeler, Ehlers and Perfetti should be rotated in with (IMO) Ehlers getting the most ice time of that group.

I would like to know what the coaches shootout line up depth chart looks like especially if Gagner was in the lineup. I think Morrissey shouldn't be too far down the list and would love to see Sam or Cole get looks if we went that deep. I realize Mr. 1000 games is not super likely to be active right now anyways.
Oh and Dallas and your OT bull sh!t...

giphy.gif

That is what im getting at. Everyone in the top 6 has periods of uneven play but it's really only two players that seem to see a reduction in ice time for it.

I also agree with you on OT, no way should guys like Lowry be out there and Ehlers only getting a token short shift.

On the PP you could even put Cole on the right as he's played a lot there as well. We probably need some other players who can play the bumper/down low role first though.

Reactions: hn777
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad