Post-Game Talk: Jets 2 - Coyotes 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Yeah, I’m not ready to lay it at Bones feet at this point. I don’t believe he’s proactively telling them to not ply creatively. I will say they have adopted a more conservative attitude lately with the D jumping up and supporting the play, especially on the breakout. We saw much more of this in the first half of the year and it was providing another layer to their attack, especially with Morrissey.
I don’t know whether they’re out of sync, frustrated by their lack of execution or just unwilling to get to those hard areas and play a little dirtier down low. Maybe it’s a bit of all three. Whatever it is, their play has been boring and repetitive and they aren’t generating the chances we saw in the first half.
One of the nicest goals I've seen from the Jets in a while was the Lowry goal shorthanded last night. What a beautifully executed 2 on 1 from Lowry and Barron, if those 2 can do that shorthanded our best players should be able to do the same once in a while.

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
One of the nicest goals I've seen from the Jets in a while was the Lowry goal shorthanded last night. What a beautifully executed 2 on 1 from Lowry and Barron, if those 2 can do that shorthanded our best players should be able to do the same once in a while.
It was a good goal and a GWG, but the real skill that made the play was the way Barron threaded it across the defenceman's stick. Lowry's shot was great but anyone could have made that (except Connor or Appleton).

Speaking of sticks, I'm still replaying Helly's miraculous save while he was out of the net. As one of my sisters is fond of saying: "That's total unicorn luck!"

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016

It was a good goal and a GWG, but the real skill that made the play was the way Barron threaded it across the defenceman's stick.

Speaking of sticks, I'm still replaying Helly's miraculous save while he was out of the net. As one of my sister's is fond of saying: "That's total unicorn luck!"

Regarding Barron, he's definitely turning into an effective player. I'm not sure what his ceiling is, but hopefully a good middle 6 player - 3rd line mostly but who can be promoted to 2nd line when injuries happen. If he can turn into a consistent 2nd liner, then that would be fantastic.

As far as the stick save, I said it last night:

And the winner for the best save of the night goes to *opens envelope*

Helle's stick!

:laugh:

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
Agreed. He has skill, not super fast, runs into issues when he doesn't have space. But, he does get pucks through and generates offense at times. I'd sit him as well.
I agree with both of you regarding Pionk. However, Hell would have to freeze over before Bowness will sit this, what, $6mil player. Also, I'm becoming a fan of Capo.

Last edited:

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
It was a good goal and a GWG, but the real skill that made the play was the way Barron threaded it across the defenceman's stick. Lowry's shot was great but anyone could have made that (except Connor or Appleton).

Speaking of sticks, I'm still replaying Helly's miraculous save while he was out of the net. As one of my sisters is fond of saying: "That's total unicorn luck!"
Oh there was alot of luck involved with that save but as i said earlier i loved how Helly never gave up trying to stop it, you gotta be good to be lucky.:nod: Anyone want to see that save again? Go to the 3:40 mark, unreal.

Last edited:

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
The PP looked way better in general against the Coyotes, the structure was changed, but I still think you want shooters up a little higher to just get shots. I would not hesitate to put Capo or Schmidt on the #1 to just shoot every chance they get. Put Scheifele in a better shooting spot, he's always too low on the left side.

Scheifele should be high right side, connor in the middle. Wheeler has no business on the PP

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
You know, a lot of people might pooh pooh this (and I use that in the traditional, non-Pelosi sense) but players like Barron and Lowry and Nino and Names could be all we need to carry us into the playoffs. Especially if we keep the Kuhlmans and Gagners sitting in the press box. And maybe, just maybe, when we get into the playoffs, our main engines will ignite....

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
You know, a lot of people might pooh pooh this (and I use that in the traditional, non-Pelosi sense) but players like Barron and Lowry and Nino and Names could be all we need to carry us into the playoffs. Especially if we keep the Kuhlmans and Gagners sitting in the press box. And maybe, just maybe, when we get into the playoffs, our main engines will ignite....
Time to sit Appleton and play Axle instead, Appleton is a way better rum than hockey player.:naughty:

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I'm not quite ready to give up on this team - I think a really bad bit of PP luck is making it look a bit worse than it actually is.

Even a bad PP, which I don't think the Jets have, would have scored a few times in this last stretch.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not happy with how they're playing, but if they convert on a few more powerplays, I think more people are heavily concerned over complete sky is falling (Which is a fair perspective, I'm just not there yet)

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Capo plays loose because he cherishes every chance he gets, plays fast and is not afraid to shoot. Was on about a 15 goal pace with low ice time. Bigger and faster than Pionk or Schmidt. Love his attitude.

We are basically undefeated with him in the lineup.
I really like Capo - imagine what he might look like if they left him in the lineup and let him expand his game a bit.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Time to sit Appleton and play Axle instead, Appleton is a way better rum than hockey player.:naughty:

long-hair-wink.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Jets 31

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I'm not quite ready to give up on this team - I think a really bad bit of PP luck is making it look a bit worse than it actually is.

Even a bad PP, which I don't think the Jets have, would have scored a few times in this last stretch.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not happy with how they're playing, but if they convert on a few more powerplays, I think more people are heavily concerned over complete sky is falling (Which is a fair perspective, I'm just not there yet)

The PP looks awful. I'd be with you if they were doing some good things but not scoring, but they struggle to enter the zone, struggle to set up, when they do get set up they're way too slow and predictable. They're doing it to themselves.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
The Edmonton game was the last game where we looked dangerous. Playing wide open, which was our only option in that game.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
I don't think for a minute, that Bones is telling these guys not to be creative or to take risks - because they are still over passing and and making plays that are low percentage.
What he is asking them to do is get shots on the net, with traffic - because the creative stuff is not working.

When you get to a point where you can't complete a pass, hit the net, or make a play, what do you do?
You dumb it down -
Problem is, the guys are so far our of sync, they can't even do the easy stuff without over thinking it or simply missing on stuff that is second nature to a pro.
It's almost like starting over - which is what he wants the guys to do but they are too caught up in their own turmoil to understand that it's need to start with the basics.

I hope we don't start pointing at coaching again - it was more than fine in the front half and the only change to this point, has been player execution.
Lots of room for interpretation but the following are direct quotes that Bones made in an interview with M Ates following the St.Louis game.
"We can`t get into this loose careless hockey, run and gun with teams that have nothing to lose"

" Our D took some gambles the other night in St Louis that they normally don`t take so we talked to the D about that this morning. Not to play careless hockey."

"Making sure we keep our discipline in terms of our positional play...."

He is clearly trying to reduce what he perceives to be risk taking by ever tightening.

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
She's offline now or I'm sure she'd be clamoring for your speedo pic.

I wore a speedo for many years, especially in Mexico and Spain and France, but I had to give it up a few years ago. One day on the beach, I had a crowd of Greenpeace types rush up and yelling to each other: "If we get it back in the water we can save it."

(That joke played better in the years before The Whale came out.)

Did you drag your ass up and down the beach?

Reactions: robertocarlos

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Lots of room for interpretation but the following are direct quotes that Bones made in an interview with M Ates following the St.Louis game.
"We can`t get into this loose careless hockey, run and gun with teams that have nothing to lose"

" Our D took some gambles the other night in St Louis that they normally don`t take so we talked to the D about that this morning. Not to play careless hockey."

He is clearly trying to reduce what he perceives to be risk taking by ever tightening.
Or, he is clearly trying to reduce "loose careless hockey" by telling his team "Not to play careless hockey".

Doesn't every coach tell his team to be careful with the puck?

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

He's asking them to be less careless hockey, be sound positionally.
Is that taking risk out of the game? Would you rather see that type of risk added to their game?
Yes, there is lots of room for interpretation because I'm looking at these comments as being important factors in getting our act together - the risk, IMO, is not implementing some structure in their game and being less careless.

The rest of my post (which was the point) was centered around the fact that I don't think this coach is the issue with a strategy to get back to basic hockey.
I also tried to expand on why they might take that approach considering they are not having a lot of luck with basic hockey skills like passing the puck, going to the net, finishing checks, making plays, and so on.

I hope he continues what he is doing - he's clearly trying to get these guys back to the successful game strategy we witnessed in the first half.

Reactions: Stumbledore

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Or, he is clearly trying to reduce "loose careless hockey" by telling his team "Not to play careless hockey".

Doesn't every coach tell his team to be careful with the puck?
I hope for 7 figures, he’s being a little more specific than that.
Although, I try not to get my hopes to high.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Agreed. And while we're not in must win territory, we are pretty close to it. I think if we have a.500 win percentage (of the games remaining), we have a good chance of getting in. But the way they've been playing, I'm worried they may not be able to accomplish that.
The Jets have almost the exact same winning percentage of the 2 teams chasing them over the last 10 games. And despite all the doom and gloom we were over .500 against a tough schedule during the last 10 games. A .500 win percentage over the last 10 games would require a Bruins like winning percentage finish be our 2 chasers to catch us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad