Post-Game Talk: Jets 2 - Coyotes 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
That thread will quickly be on ignore :laugh:

Curses! You've perceived my evil plan. :)

200w.gif

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
I'm just curious to see if one of the few women in here -- and certainly the only one who has shown unlimited patience with me -- fulfills the promise to put her bikini pic in her avatar. Moderator Joe didn't help matters. Or maybe she's just delaying it to drive me crazy.
Now why would I do a mean thing like that?

Avatar switch within a couple of hours. Promise.

PS: It's not unlimited.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Would you walk away from 8.5 million?

As far as Wheeler, he wouldn't be the first. Buff walked away from $16 million, Others have walked away as well. Only Wheeler knows but he will weight his general enjoyment in life and his enjoyment at coming to the rink every day and decide if he really needs the money. And pro athletes are proud and may not want to feel like they are embarrassing themselves because they can no longer play at the level they could in the past.

I walked away from a job that was paying me a lot more than I am making now, but I am a lot happier now where I am. Money is nice, but there is a life balance to think about.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
We saw the same thing with his Dallas team and we saw the same push back from his skilled players there. Go look at the comments from the Dallas players early this year for reference on being allowed to be creative with the new coaches.
The attack has no second wave at all either. Players are getting isolated and then double teamed with no support, when they do manage to gain the blue line with speed and drive the puck deeper, they either are unable to hold up the puck or there isn’t anyone driving the middle of the ice in support. The Keller line, especially in the 2nd attacked in layers, they had skaters filling the slot when the puck went deep and mobilized their D when the puck went up top and drove it deep again with possession. Sure it helped the Jets were standing around watching them do it, but their interchange was impressive in that period. It looked like a system, ours certainly did not.

Pretty much what I've been seeing for the past couple of months.

Reactions: Ducky10

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
That must be absolute hell for you.

I wore a speedo for decades and never had too many admirers.

Not even once.

Sigh...

I've never worn a speedo. And I don't think I've ever had admirers persay irregardless of my choice in outfits.

I won't speak for Mrs. Jetson as I honestly don't know :laugh:

Better proposal: A speedo thread and a Bikini thread and i know i'll only be looking at the Bikini thread.:laugh:

Okay, but you may not like looking at me in a thong bikini!

GeorgeJETson

Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016

All kidding aside, I won't be actively looking. I'd feel a little creepy doing that.

Now my younger self wouldn't have had a problem. I guess I'm maturing. Or just old. :laugh:

Reactions: Inanna and RabidOne

Snowboy

Oct 12, 2013
Thing is, this pathetic style of hockey (doesn`t even warrant being called a system) is absolutely what Bones is insisting that they play offensively. It IS very much a coaching issue . And it appears the more he has forbidden any creative play or risk taking, the worse the outcome has gotten. Just a few days ago, his solution to the recurring problem was to have the D play even "less loose" with even fewer forays into the o zone... !
Very good analysis.....they play as if they are slaves to the system. On one occasion i watched Dillon maintain his position with the puck just a stride away. Someone has to tell them in hockey it is not impolite to REACH!

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I don't think for a minute, that Bones is telling these guys not to be creative or to take risks - because they are still over passing and and making plays that are low percentage.
What he is asking them to do is get shots on the net, with traffic - because the creative stuff is not working.

When you get to a point where you can't complete a pass, hit the net, or make a play, what do you do?
You dumb it down -
Problem is, the guys are so far our of sync, they can't even do the easy stuff without over thinking it or simply missing on stuff that is second nature to a pro.
It's almost like starting over - which is what he wants the guys to do but they are too caught up in their own turmoil to understand that it's need to start with the basics.

I hope we don't start pointing at coaching again - it was more than fine in the front half and the only change to this point, has been player execution.
This is a very well thought out post and I agree totally

As far as Wheeler, he wouldn't be the first. Buff walked away from $16 million, Others have walked away as well. Only Wheeler knows but he will weight his general enjoyment in life and his enjoyment at coming to the rink every day and decide if he really needs the money. And pro athletes are proud and may not want to feel like they are embarrassing themselves because they can no longer play at the level they could in the past.

I walked away from a job that was paying me a lot more than I am making now, but I am a lot happier now where I am. Money is nice, but there is a life balance to think about.
I think the problem with Wheeler is that he likely believes he's still the best RW on this team.

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
As promised, I've changed my avatar.

I'm the blackhead on the right.

With this non-event out of the way, let's get back to talking about the Jets. We may not be in must-win territory yet but with Nashville only 5 points back and having 3 games in hand, it's time to quit obsessing over who is injured, or slumping or why, and just get some wins!

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

You’re assuming Wheeler isn’t we enjoying playing hockey anymore? Retirement for professional athletes with money still on the table is extremely rare. There is more chance of Wheeler trying to extend his career the year after next rather then retire early.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I don't think for a minute, that Bones is telling these guys not to be creative or to take risks - because they are still over passing and and making plays that are low percentage.
What he is asking them to do is get shots on the net, with traffic - because the creative stuff is not working.

When you get to a point where you can't complete a pass, hit the net, or make a play, what do you do?
You dumb it down -
Problem is, the guys are so far our of sync, they can't even do the easy stuff without over thinking it or simply missing on stuff that is second nature to a pro.
It's almost like starting over - which is what he wants the guys to do but they are too caught up in their own turmoil to understand that it's need to start with the basics.

I hope we don't start pointing at coaching again - it was more than fine in the front half and the only change to this point, has been player execution.
Yeah, I’m not ready to lay it at Bones feet at this point. I don’t believe he’s proactively telling them to not ply creatively. I will say they have adopted a more conservative attitude lately with the D jumping up and supporting the play, especially on the breakout. We saw much more of this in the first half of the year and it was providing another layer to their attack, especially with Morrissey.
I don’t know whether they’re out of sync, frustrated by their lack of execution or just unwilling to get to those hard areas and play a little dirtier down low. Maybe it’s a bit of all three. Whatever it is, their play has been boring and repetitive and they aren’t generating the chances we saw in the first half.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Nice new avatar shmarty pants, good thinking.:laugh:Now @Stumbledore doesn't know for sure which one you are.:laugh: You are a woman of your words though, you said you would do it and you did. Oops, just saw that you said you were the brunette.:laugh:

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
Much better 3rd but man this team is mentally unstable.

Really liked Capobianco. Feel bad he can't get in more games
Capo plays loose because he cherishes every chance he gets, plays fast and is not afraid to shoot. Was on about a 15 goal pace with low ice time. Bigger and faster than Pionk or Schmidt. Love his attitude.

We are basically undefeated with him in the lineup.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Capo plays loose because he cherishes every chance he gets, plays fast and is not afraid to shoot. Was on about a 15 goal pace with low ice time. Bigger and faster than Pionk or Schmidt. Love his attitude.

We are basically undefeated with him in the lineup.
I just don't see them pulling Pionk out but I think he needs to sit a game or two. He's not really playing his way out of his malaise. He'll have a good game or spell within a game here or there but not consistently

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
This is a very well thought out post and I agree totally

I think the problem with Wheeler is that he likely believes he's still the best RW on this team.
The problem may be that he is the best RW on the team…

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
As promised, I've changed my avatar.

I'm the blackhead on the right.

With this non-event out of the way, let's get back to talking about the Jets. We may not be in must-win territory yet but with Nashville only 5 points back and having 3 games in hand, it's time to quit obsessing over who is injured, or slumping or why, and just get some wins!
You know, I did apologize for forgetting brunette last week.

Thank you for the avatar and fulfilling your promise. On extreme magnification, I can confirm you are indeed wearing a bikini but both it and your facial features are obscured. Well played. And I suppose it serves us right. I can see why you got the event/model/hostess whatever it is job. At the risk of breaking his heart, I think you're a lot more attractive than Macmaroon in his avatar.

But he does create some fantastic GDTs.

• Haha
Reactions: Jets 31 and Inanna

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
I just don't see them pulling Pionk out but I think he needs to sit a game or two. He's not really playing his way out of his malaise. He'll have a good game or spell within a game here or there but not consistently
Agreed. He has skill, not super fast, runs into issues when he doesn't have space. But, he does get pucks through and generates offense at times. I'd sit him as well.

Reactions: Slimy Sculpin

GeorgeJETson

Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016

Agreed. And while we're not in must win territory, we are pretty close to it. I think if we have a.500 win percentage (of the games remaining), we have a good chance of getting in. But the way they've been playing, I'm worried they may not be able to accomplish that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad