Post-Game Talk: Jets 2 Coliers 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
For Scheifele If we're talking league wide ranking offensively he's 31st in 5v5 pts, and 32nd in all strength pts, and 43rd in 5v5 total on-ice Goal For/23rd in all strengths. So offensively he's in the 1C tier but I don't think this season he's as high as he's been in previous ones just in offense.

Defensively idk how folks accurately rank him across the league among every single center. I guess id label him around below average to average based on what I see and the stats say, he's better than what he was for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dale53130

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Trolling a PGT should result in some sort of a ban. It’s just so childish.

Of course, trolling an entire fanbase while hiding behind a shield of "ha ha you can't punch me back" is profoundly childish in its own right.

Totally agree. It's bad enough with the Dude on ours.:laugh:

I've said it a hundred times drunk so I may as well say it sober too -- this is one of the best hockey communities I've been privileged to be part of in half a century or so; this is a really special kind of virtual social club we got going on here :)

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Some of us were calling for a trade as soon as we saw that they were trying to rotate Appleton, Gagner, Menalainen etc. into that top line role. They were already thin on right wing before Ehlers was injured. The Jets had a surplus of D, and were thin on forwards. It was a good time to do it to help insulate the team and push depth down. Now look where they're at because Cheveldayoff decided to ride it out and trust fate.
Some say a dithering GM is a prudent one!

I say otherwise

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Trolling a PGT should result in some sort of a ban. It’s just so childish.
Yep but one or two trolls doesn’t give a excuse for shitting on a whole city or fan base. We had our own troll here the other day from the Rangers we didn’t say yeah it’s a great city if you want to wait in an whole long line to get a hot dog.
The one time I tried to badmouth Detroit @Buffdog called me out to set me straight.

Reactions: AlphaLackey

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Yep but one or two trolls doesn’t give a excuse for shitting on a whole city or fan base. We had our own troll here the other day from the Rangers we didn’t say yeah it’s a great city if you want to wait in an whole long line to get a hot dog.
The one time I tried to badmouth Detroit @Buffdog called me out to set me straight.
I did?

I have nothing against the red wings or their fans (except for that one person that said that their girlfriend's mom's neighbour's sister cut trouba's mom's hair or something and he heard that it was 1000% that he wanted to be in Detroit).

But as far as towns go, it's fairly shithole-ish

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I did?

I have nothing against the red wings or their fans (except for that one person that said that their girlfriend's mom's neighbour's sister cut trouba's mom's hair or something and he heard that it was 1000% that he wanted to be in Detroit).

But as far as towns go, it's fairly shithole-ish
Yes you did, and you were right to do it that I shouldn’t assume the worst about a city based on misconceptions. So thank you.

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
Apparently Deadmontonians claim their city to be 'elite'. Guess the refineries and a dated shopping centre are their metrics of status. Delusions of grandeur over there.

#forever1990
they do have a nice arena too

I can't speak for anyone else, but Kuhlman - undrafted - was brought in as a grunt. I'm only looking at him, through that lens. Kuhlman could be 24, 29, or 33 years old, I know that we're not building, nor potentially building around him.

I remember holding out, as late as the '92-'93, that Jimmy Carson, Rob Brown and even Daniel Marois, were due to turn things around, because they were all still just 24 years old. Each of them had played their best hockey, prior to the '90-'91 season. They had showed a lot of promise. Puljujarvi can't even begin to chip away at Marois, nevermind Brown or Carson.

Puljujarvi was drafted 4th overall, and despite playing with McDavid and Draisaitl, or being on the 2nd line facing weaker defensive coverage, has been a massive disappointment. If he can't make it work playing with them, how on Earth is he going to make it work with any other team? I'm as excited about him, as I'd be about Scott Scissons in '96. You should be glad he's not our problem.
exactly!!!!!!!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>he hasnt done anything with mcd and drias...what the hell is gonna do without of any of those two!!!!...

Reactions: Dale53130

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
Whenever somebody leads with the "I come in peace" qualifier, I give a massive wanking motion. I don't care who you are or where you come from, but the last thing I want to hear about is you giving us false platitudes about losing a tight game, and that we have a bright future ahead. I assure you that nobody is interested in being cordial or civil, so either contribute without tipping your hand, or just browse.
lol...wow, what was your xmas like!!?????...we can pretty much guess

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Some say a dithering GM is a prudent one!

I say otherwise

Assuming I have you correctly pegged as socially conservative (relevance, Your Honour!), what does that mean exactly, separated as a concept from a political compass? Well, to me, it means a respect for the way society has always done things -- not as an absolute that must NEVER be violated, but as simple "pot odds" in poker.

If things are going really well, and you make a change, what will happen? You'll either make a "really good thing" a bit better, or you'll make a "really good thing" blow up. Like if you have a solid 8/10 and you'll either make it a 9 or a 0, well, +1 vs -8, you better be *really sure* your idea will work, right?

Like if I've got a pair of red aces in the hole and the flop comes with three medium black cards, and my opponent is going to war, and I figure one of two things are possible -- either he's got a really good draw (four to a straight and four to a flush) and I'm about 55% to win, or he's got an absolute monster (three of a kind or better) and I'm like 10% to win. +5% vs -40%, even if it's just as likely he's full of shit as he's got the World's Fair, I still gotta fold.

So it is with Chevy. Of all the GMs I've dreaded we've ever had, it would be the GM that "makes a move just to make a move"; who induces chaos to 'shake things up', to 'roll the bones', or whatever. Who wins half his trades, but the wins are small and the losses are gigantic.

And say what you will about Chevy, but if they had a Selke award for GMs, he'd have won it 11 years running. In small stakes, he still wins a bit more than he loses; but in blockbusters, the man is flat-out undefeated, precisely cause he swings so rarely.

This team still has problems, but I honestly don't think the GM has ever been one. Steady and stolid B+ to A- all the way through for the reasons described above.

Mods, feel free to move this to the Chevy / math / poker threads as needed :P

Whenever somebody leads with the "I come in peace" qualifier, I give a massive wanking motion. I don't care who you are or where you come from, but the last thing I want to hear about is you giving us false platitudes about losing a tight game, and that we have a bright future ahead. I assure you that nobody is interested in being cordial or civil, so either contribute without tipping your hand, or just browse.

Disagree vehemently, both from my own motivations and from the motivations of others. You'd be surprised how many ardent fans are willing and ready for a cordial or civil chat, even in defeat.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I think Scheifele is undervalued by Jets fans, especially after 'the malaise'..we over value the less skilled players and under value the skilled ones...except maybe Ehlers.

Fact remains he just notched his 8th consecutive 20 goal season and looks prime to score 40 this year. A very consistent point producer for years. He'd have more points this year if he played with more skilled players.

He's big, strong, is beastly at cycling and very hard to separate from the puck on the wall. I love how he uses his size to keep others away from the puck.

This season he's seemed to remember that defense is part of his job and whilst he'll never be a stalwart in that area, he's doing enough to make his offensive production full value to winning. At least his give a shit factor is back up there.

Other teams fans and broadcasters always fawn on him and say they'd love him on their team. A borderline top 10 center, who wouldn't?

If he's not top 10 I think he's damn close, he will get paid. Chevy will be the one paying him...he won't let him go.
I also think he has the highest hockey IQ on the team.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Before the Montreal media stole the narrative and used it to spew their ridiculous horseshit takes, Scheifele's reputation as a quiet, bookish hockey mind was well-known and well deserved.
Not like a few of their own haven't thrown a few questionable hits...The Rocket and Fergie come to mind and not even counting the 70s.

Scheif is way more involved this year and gives a shit.
Too bad he doens't play with a bit of an edge.
It'll be nice when someone with some top 6 skill gets back from injury for his wings.

Reactions: AlphaLackey and Jet

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
lol...wow, what was your xmas like!!?????...we can pretty much guess

My nephew is in the hospital, and has been for six months. I spent Christmas visiting my dad because I was the only one in town able to do so. How was yours?

You want to be condescending? We'll play that game.

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
My nephew is in the hospital, and has been for six months. I spent Christmas visiting my dad because I was the only one in town able to do so. How was yours?

You want to be condescending? We'll play that game.
okay...still not any reason to be like you were in the previous comments....at some point in life we all have not have had the greatest of times of some time of the year, even at this time.....condescending? if you wanna play, go ahead....

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
okay...still not any reason to be like you were in the previous comments....at some point in life we all have not have had the greatest of times of some time of the year, even at this time.....condescending? if you wanna play, go ahead....

Did I personally insult you or anyone in your close proximity with that post? Sorry if I'm not a good loser and don't want to be cordial with people after a loss. I get sullen and critical. Call it a character flaw, if you must. What you don't get to do is make inferences about my personal life or free time.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Not like a few of their own haven't thrown a few questionable hits...The Rocket and Fergie come to mind and not even counting the 70s.

Scheif is way more involved this year and gives a shit.
Too bad he doens't play with a bit of an edge.
It'll be nice when someone with some top 6 skill gets back from injury for his wings.

Never mind those legends; if there's been a pointier elbow in the whole of QC than that of Brendan Gallagher, I'd love to know whose it actually was.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
@rkp and @CorgisPer60, I'm seeing an internet spat misunderstanding escalating needlessly here. You're both valued and appreciated members of this community, so hey, take a step back and a deep breath, yeah? Give it half a day and I promise you'll wonder what all the screaming was about. Knowing now what we know then, I'm sure neither of you intended to personally insult the other on such touchy subjects.

Surely we can unify under our other banners, like "lol Oilers" or "lol Panthers" or "lol everyone who laughed at Chevy for cutting Comrie loose based on a 4 GP sample"

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
@rkp and @CorgisPer60, I'm seeing an internet spat misunderstanding escalating needlessly here. You're both valued and appreciated members of this community, so hey, take a step back and a deep breath, yeah? Give it half a day and I promise you'll wonder what all the screaming was about. Knowing now what we know then, I'm sure neither of you intended to personally insult the other on such touchy subjects.

Surely we can unify under our other banners, like "lol Oilers" or "lol Panthers" or "lol everyone who laughed at Chevy for cutting Comrie loose based on a 4 GP sample"

I don't care about internet spats or misunderstandings, and this will be forgotten long before I wake up in the morning. However, I'll not abide people making inferences of my personal life, especially about a holiday like Christmas. You have no idea what the other person may be going through at that time. That's all I'll say on the matter.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I don't care about internet spats or misunderstandings, and this will be forgotten long before I wake up in the morning. However, I'll not abide people making inferences of my personal life, especially about a holiday like Christmas. You have no idea what the other person may be going through at that time. That's all I'll say on the matter.

Understood. For what it's worth, seeing that you're hurting is enough for me to hope you get through it alright.

Been around

Jul 16, 2022
Assuming I have you correctly pegged as socially conservative (relevance, Your Honour!), what does that mean exactly, separated as a concept from a political compass? Well, to me, it means a respect for the way society has always done things -- not as an absolute that must NEVER be violated, but as simple "pot odds" in poker.

If things are going really well, and you make a change, what will happen? You'll either make a "really good thing" a bit better, or you'll make a "really good thing" blow up. Like if you have a solid 8/10 and you'll either make it a 9 or a 0, well, +1 vs -8, you better be *really sure* your idea will work, right?

Like if I've got a pair of red aces in the hole and the flop comes with three medium black cards, and my opponent is going to war, and I figure one of two things are possible -- either he's got a really good draw (four to a straight and four to a flush) and I'm about 55% to win, or he's got an absolute monster (three of a kind or better) and I'm like 10% to win. +5% vs -40%, even if it's just as likely he's full of shit as he's got the World's Fair, I still gotta fold.

So it is with Chevy. Of all the GMs I've dreaded we've ever had, it would be the GM that "makes a move just to make a move"; who induces chaos to 'shake things up', to 'roll the bones', or whatever. Who wins half his trades, but the wins are small and the losses are gigantic.

And say what you will about Chevy, but if they had a Selke award for GMs, he'd have won it 11 years running. In small stakes, he still wins a bit more than he loses; but in blockbusters, the man is flat-out undefeated, precisely cause he swings so rarely.

This team still has problems, but I honestly don't think the GM has ever been one. Steady and stolid B+ to A- all the way through for the reasons described above.

Disagree vehemently, both from my own motivations and from the motivations of others. You'd be surprised how many ardent fans are willing and ready for a cordial or civil chat, even in defeat.
Camt like this enough tbh chevy has done a remarkable job here

Dale53130

Nov 10, 2019

Great post! Especially the part about him being steady.

Also...

Sounds like Chevy is a slight winner at online microstakes, but is only crushing the private nosebleed games because it's strip poker, and no one wants him to take his clothes off. They're dumping to him. This is the only scenario where this makes sense. ;)

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Great post! Especially the part about him being steady.

Also...

Sounds like Chevy is a slight winner at online microstakes, but is only crushing the private nosebleed games because it's strip poker, and no one wants him to take his clothes off. They're dumping to him. This is the only scenario where this makes sense. ;)

Well here was my original poker metaphor.

Before Chevy made any big $ trade

Imagine you and your ham-and-egger work chums have a Friday night poker game, where everyone buys in like $50 or $100 and you play dime-quarter or quarter-fiftycent antes. Like small stakes, yeah?

And every Friday, month after month, here comes Chevy, but he never plays. He sits, he watches, he deals, sometimes he runs to the Liquor Mart before closing for tips, but he never plays.

And then once, after three SOLID YEARS like this, Chevy sits down to this $100 buy-in game, and he pulls out $10k in hundreds. Buys all the chips, with bricks of 20s and 100s behind

And within 5 minutes, Chevy plays his first heavy pot, and for the first time in his life, he chunks in enough money to cover the table.

And there's Darcy Reghier going "oh, so you WANT to trade Evander Kane, eh?"

Who do you think winds up with the better of that pot? :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad