Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi 2022-2023 Season (MOD note in OP)

Kaptah

Jul 15, 2007
stats2.png

Why the hell is Yamamoto playing more than Pulju?

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Many of us were looking forward to a very solid bounce back year by JP, and he's done nothing but fail the Oil fans expectations. I don't pay attention to stats and do not follow every single game or period even. When I DO watch, the guy is always getting knocked off the puck or out of the play because of his lack of balance on the ice. His recognition of almost every positive play made by another player that should result in a goal, doesn't. I'm not a poster that rips on Oiler players often, but for this guy I make an exception.

I'm just speaking for myself, but I'm going to guess that my view of his game will resonate with a number of Oil fans. I'm not talking specifically about these boards neither.

PS: I'm also sick of DeBrusk lathering up his half assed play with his sudsy verbiage on the play by play. He's doing the fans a disfavour with that crap when we watch the brutal hockey plays made by JP.

/rant

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Jesse has always seemed more comfortable in a place where there are some compatriots. I can understand it as NA culture is so so different than Euro culture. Some players adapt, some miss home more.

Jesse also kind of into the outdoors and while Alberta is beautiful the mountains are further away here. If it happened I could see Jesse adapting more to live in Denver, and in Colorado. I think he would be more at home there.

Obviously Colorado also have a better room. Its hard for me to say that but its obviously the case.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
If there's someone who can turnaround Pulju's game, it's either Aho, Rantanen or Laine. Start the bid

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Pulju actually had a good game in terms of reading and working with his linemates.

For the first time in ages it seemed like he was able to move the puck to where his linemates were, and Shore and Ryan were able to get Pulju the puck in good situations. Reminded me of Kostin back in November with those two. The 3 of them were actually able to consistently get off quick passes to open areas all night, and it caused fits for the Pens.

Though I do wish he would drive the net on the rush. There was good example of this last night, he crossed the blueline with some speed and had a step on the defenceman. But instead of putting his shoulder down and powering his way through, he settled for the MPS (Paajarvi) special of taking a hard, but unscreened, wrister from distance.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Pulju actually had a good game in terms of reading and working with his linemates.

For the first time in ages it seemed like he was able to move the puck to where his linemates were, and Shore and Ryan were able to get Pulju the puck in good situations. Reminded me of Kostin back in November with those two. The 3 of them were actually able to consistently get off quick passes to open areas all night, and it caused fits for the Pens.

Though I do wish he would drive the net on the rush. There was good example of this last night, he crossed the blueline with some speed and had a step on the defenceman. But instead of putting his shoulder down and powering his way through, he settled for the MPS (Paajarvi) special of taking a hard, but unscreened, wrister from distance.
IMO, one of the problems with JP all these years is that he could never keep up with high IQ players that don't slow down...namely McD and to an extent, Drai.

When his linemates are of equal skill or he's the most skilled on his line, things tend to work since it's ultimately going to be a simple play being made

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
JP had a pretty good game. But something that may seem very trivial, even negligible to some, has really bothered me about him for some time now. It isn't a hockey skillset or work ethic issue neither. It's his mindset, and I see this practically every single game. When he has a chance to put the biscuit in the basket and the goaltender makes a save on him, his facial expression makes it seem like he cannot believe an NHL caliber goalie actually made a fantastic, or even mediocre, save on him. It's that "geez, I can't catch a break" look he has going back to the bench and continues to wear on his face for some time after.

I think it says a lot about his mental process as a pro and it irks the shit out of me. I've noticed it the entire season so far, so I really don't think I'm overreacting to this detail. That's why I've waited to this point to even mention it...

Kaptah

Jul 15, 2007
When he has a chance to put the biscuit in the basket and the goaltender makes a save on him, his facial expression makes it seem like he cannot believe an NHL caliber goalie actually made a fantastic, or even mediocre, save on him. It's that "geez, I can't catch a break" look he has going back to the bench and continues to wear on his face for some time after.

I think it says a lot about his mental process as a pro and it irks the shit out of me. I've noticed it the entire season so far, so I really don't think I'm overreacting to this detail. That's why I've waited to this point to even mention it...
Some people just tend to smile more than others.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
JP had a pretty good game. But something that may seem very trivial, even negligible to some, has really bothered me about him for some time now. It isn't a hockey skillset or work ethic issue neither. It's his mindset, and I see this practically every single game. When he has a chance to put the biscuit in the basket and the goaltender makes a save on him, his facial expression makes it seem like he cannot believe an NHL caliber goalie actually made a fantastic, or even mediocre, save on him. It's that "geez, I can't catch a break" look he has going back to the bench and continues to wear on his face for some time after.

Agreed. It’s about being a professional, which he clearly isn’t. I’d love to play poker with him though.

Reactions: Dorian2

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
IMO, one of the problems with JP all these years is that he could never keep up with high IQ players that don't slow down...namely McD and to an extent, Drai.

When his linemates are of equal skill or he's the most skilled on his line, things tend to work since it's ultimately going to be a simple play being made
Very true. And those types of players don't get 3 million dollar per year salaries.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

To be fair, that one that went off both posts for him yesterday was an eye roller in my mind. And when a guy has been struggling for a while and then is working hard and playing the right way and is denied a golden chance, I think it can wear on you. He's one of those people that definitely wears his heart on his sleeve, and when something good or bad happens, it comes out in him instantly. I bet McDavid probably has the same feelings but they are buried deep inside.
Saying all that, Jesse probably does need some work in evening out his emotions. In this league and at the competition level he's at, it's crucial for sustained success.

Reactions: Delicious Pancakes

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Agreed. It’s about being a professional, which he clearly isn’t. I’d love to play poker with him though.

"Get a poker face" was my exact thought as I was typing that post. It's not a good look for his team or for the opposition. If me and some other fans are noticing it, you can bet that the players and coaches on both bench's see it as well.

Reactions: Messrules11

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
i'd be in pulju>yamo camp. conceivably more of a piece for the top 9. but it hasnt worked out at all either and he seems to want money and scoring opportunities and he cant score. Either than that he's awesome and honestly seems to disrupt shit on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad