Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi 2022-2023 Season (MOD note in OP)

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
MOD-There has been a lot of poo flinging and flaming over this player in these threads. Keep to discussing the player and not posters that you don't agree with or you will be removed from the thread.

Solid game for the big Finn in the season opened. If he can start to take the body and impose his will by using his size, he can be a valuable player even if he's not lighting the lamp.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Keep up the physicality Jesse. Do what you did last game and the goals will come easily

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
sure would've been nice to nice a big body like Jesse impose his will just a little against the Flames but that's asking too much

a ghost
I don't think it was a strong game from him but he had some shifts. Mostly the team were horrible last night on the dump ins and 80% of the time they were easy clears for the flames and we couldn't even establish a forecheck.

Pulju had an interesting look in particular coming out of the corner after winning the puck and juked a Flames defender and tried to go wide for a wrap and lost the puck. Should have just shot. At least it was him going to the net.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
sure would've been nice to nice a big body like Jesse impose his will just a little against the Flames but that's asking too much

a ghost

I dont think he'll ever be that mean imposing player no matter how big of an influence Kane will have on him.
I'm more worried about his lack of puck skills in the long run-still fumbling around on ice. If he's going to play/fill in a Top 6 role, he's gotta be able to handle a pass/make a pass.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Physicality and Effort level High so far for Pool. Ability to be everywhere at once affecting the play, not as good as last year yet. Finishing ability improvement? Unknown.

I still believe.

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
Physicality and Effort level High so far for Pool. Ability to be everywhere at once affecting the play, not as good as last year yet. Finishing ability improvement? Unknown.

I still believe.

Fair characterization. Puljujarvi is earning his salary.

Obviously some points would be nice, but his scoring this year is critical for his future.

Jesse has 20-30-50 in him I believe.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Fair characterization. Puljujarvi is earning his salary.

Obviously some points would be nice, but his scoring this year is critical for his future.

Jesse has 20-30-50 in him I believe.
He was on pace for 22-15-37 (with very low PP usage) per full season two seasons ago and 17-27-44 last season (again with low PP time) so the points you said should be very reachable if he stays healthy but we'll see how this season goes. As his supporter some points would naturally be nice and especially goals could maybe get him going. It also seems his TOI is lower under Woodcroft so far, which naturally will decrease the numbers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Harry Curry

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'll say this for all of Puljujarvi, Yamamoto, Holloway, Foegele, even RNH (to a lesser degree).

Y'all BETTER BRING YOUR SHIT the next 10 games. No more sitting around and just watching 4 guys carry the entire offence, you mother f***ers are needed now to bring some scoring depth and it will be very telling to see who if any of these guys step up. This season has started, no more excuses for anyone.

Time to separate who should be here and shouldn't be here (in Holloway's case he's a rookie so elsewhere means back to the AHL).

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'll say this for all of Puljujarvi, Yamamoto, Holloway, Foegele, even RNH (to a lesser degree).

Y'all BETTER BRING YOUR SHIT the next 10 games. No more sitting around and just watching 4 guys carry the entire offence, you mother f***ers are needed now to bring some scoring depth and it will be very telling to see who if any of these guys step up. This season has started, no more excuses for anyone.

Time to separate who should be here and shouldn't be here (in Holloway's case he's a rookie so elsewhere means back to the AHL).
Why would it be RNH to a "lesser degree" He makes as much as 3 of the players put together and he's a #1 pick that should have more expectation laid on him. Of course here he has a blank slate free ticket to perpetuity.

Its astounding that by end of contract the Oilers will have paid RNH 86M bucks. Really what kind of bang do they get from that? Charmed life.

Both Pulju and Yama played better than RNH did in the games they've played.

Last edited:

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Why would it be RNH to a "lesser degree" He makes as much as 3 of the players put together and he's a #1 pick that should have more expectation laid on him. Of course here he has a blank slate free ticket to perpetuity.

Its astounding that by end of contract the Oilers will have paid RNH 86M bucks. Really what kind of bang do they get from that? Charmed life.

Really?! Already?!

This is what you had to say two games ago:

My view is at least commensurate and able to alter on level of play at any given time. yeah the contract is nice now. The payable now fits within our compete window. He's the swiss army knife of our players and I will say that he's upped his all round game. I think even considerable excitement from him when a slew of Hyman and Kane type help arrived. He seems to be going all in more now, and realizing time is now, and thats been nice to see.

In fairness to Nuge he played a lot of years where the team around him was non competitive. So that his spirit has been stirred with this being a contending team now. Glad that he's interested in that.

I still like Danault more. ;)

It's a bit reactionary no?

Anyway, I agree he shouldn't be absolved... but the whole team, outside of McDrai, Nurse and Skinner need to be a whole lot sharper.

Still... it's two games.

PS: I thought the Nuge, Hyman, Pulju line did pretty well in the ten minutes they played together. Not sure whether it was DNB or Lowetide, but someone had them at xGF near 70% and generating a tonne of high-% chances vs giving up very little.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Really?! Already?!

Anyway, I agree he shouldn't be absolved... but the whole team, outside of McDrai, Nurse and Skinner need to be a whole lot sharper.

Still... it's two games.

PS: I thought the Nuge, Hyman, Pulju line did pretty well in the ten minutes they played together. Not sure whether it was DNB or Lowetide, but someone had them at xGF near 70% and generating a tonne of high-% chances vs giving up very little.

Agreed - sure Nuge can be better but he certainly hasn't been so bad as to warrant the disproportionate criticism I've seen from some. I'll echo your thoughts that he looked decent Saturday, and particularly when paired with Hyman on his line.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Well for one RNH has a NMC so you can't really move him, second RNH actually did contribute to the Oilers in the playoffs whereas guys like Yamamoto, Puljujarvi, Foegele really did a whole lot of nothing for the most part. But they all need to be better.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Well for one RNH has a NMC so you can't really move him, second RNH actually did contribute to the Oilers in the playoffs whereas guys like Yamamoto, Puljujarvi, Foegele really did a whole lot of nothing for the most part. But they all need to be better.
Thanks. I just wanted you to expand on the thought.

Really?! Already?!

Still... it's two games.

Nuge gave me a hangover in the Calgary game as frankly even Backlund was far more impactful than him. A specific knock that doesn't go away is that RNH is often ineffective in EV play.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Thanks. I just wanted you to expand on the thought.

Nuge gave me a hangover in the Calgary game as frankly even Backlund was far more impactful than him. A specific knock that doesn't go away is that RNH is often ineffective in EV play.

You'd be forgiven for preferring Danault. He's better suited to 3C.

The issue... and we've all seen it... with RNH is that he's a perfectionist who lacks physicality (he's willing, but just not built that way). So when you have a perfectionist like RNH, playing in an offensive role, you'll have exceptional puck possession and will literally dissect the defense when they make a mistake.

When you have a perfectionist like RNH asked to play a defense-first role, well then he's got to be extra perfect and extra cautious, because he doesn't have the physicality to overcome a positional error. And depending on his line mates, that's going to lead to some pretty "boring" games at EV. Limited forecheck and no need for back check (since he'll already be back) and a lot of waiting for opposition mistakes.

That's why a line of Pulju and Hyman (who both cause shit and are defensively responsible) is an ideal line for him. He can trust his line mates a bit more and will be willing to take more risks.

18/19 year old RNH was open to risky plays... I'm sure the coaches are satisfied with "risk free Nuge", but they should encourage him to give himself a little more leash... and playing him with responsible wingers should be one way to see that side of his game again.

There is still some upside in his game if he balances out his overthinking brain/ with his passion and we saw it in the playoffs last year. His 5 EV goals in the playoffs were all pretty huge and only Kane, McD and Hyman scored more. That's pretty solid given his role at EV was largely shutdown.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You'd be forgiven for preferring Danault. He's better suited to 3C.

The issue... and we've all seen it... with RNH is that he's a perfectionist who lacks physicality (he's willing, but just not built that way). So when you have a perfectionist like RNH, playing in an offensive role, you'll have exceptional puck possession and will literally dissect the defense when they make a mistake.

When you have a perfectionist like RNH asked to play a defense-first role, well then he's got to be extra perfect and extra cautious, because he doesn't have the physicality to overcome a positional error. And depending on his line mates, that's going to lead to some pretty "boring" games at EV. Limited forecheck and no need for back check (since he'll already be back) and a lot of waiting for opposition mistakes.

That's why a line of Pulju and Hyman (who both cause shit and are defensively responsible) is an ideal line for him. He can trust his line mates a bit more and will be willing to take more risks.

18/19 year old RNH was open to risky plays... I'm sure the coaches are satisfied with "risk free Nuge", but they should encourage him to give himself a little more leash... and playing him with responsible wingers should be one way to see that side of his game again.

There is still some upside in his game if he balances out his overthinking brain/ with his passion and we saw it in the playoffs last year. His 5 EV goals in the playoffs were all pretty huge and only Kane, McD and Hyman scored more. That's pretty solid given his role at EV was largely shutdown.
As I've stated I get the contributions from the player when they are occurring but the EV contributions have not been regular at all. Those goals in that many games played, that would be atypical to the usual output.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Come for the Puljujarvi discussion stay for the inevitable Nugent Hopkins bleating.

Puljujarvi had a solid initial game. Engaged, stopping on pucks in the blue paint area and utilizing his big frame to hit Canuckles. All very good elements. Unfortunately game 2 against 'The Rival' he was among a collective no-show really beyond Skinner who kept the game close. Mentioned by others I like that E. Kane is nudging the Oiler players like McLeod and Puljujarvi to gain comfort with physical contact through his practice play wrasslin'. Working to get both players comfortable to play and assert themselves within the guts of the game and hard areas of the ice can really help their game but most importantly the team.

Unlocking Puljujarvi's consistency is the Cadbury Caramilk Secret to be unlocked. More game 1's and less game 2's please!

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
As I've stated I get the contributions from the player when they are occurring but the EV contributions have not been regular at all. Those goals in that many games played, that would be atypical to the usual output.

It's true.

But if Nuge were "on" like he was in the playoffs 80 games a year, he wouldn't be making $5M either.

He's exceptionally talented and freakishly cautious. That leads to a 50-60 point guy that is very quiet, but at least not usually hurting you, on his "off" nites, and he's gonna have more of those than guys like Drai/McD. And to bring it back on topic, fewer of those than Pulju. Both of these things should be expected.

SnipeShowJB11

Jul 8, 2022
It is what it is. Jp is a ball of nothing at least half of the time. Yammo can be too. RNH is very nice so we can't say nothing about him, but he can't generate anything. Hopefully Holland can make some magic and get rid of some guys to bring in a better defender

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00