Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi 2022-2023 Season (MOD note in OP)

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
It’s also on TSN:
If JP clears though, his $$ doesn’t come off the cap, right. I don’t see a team taking him for free and helping the Oilers. They will take him but will want something for doing so.

Reactions: Aerchon

Kaptah

Jul 15, 2007
JP will not clear waivers, no doubt about that. There is more than one team interested. Edmonton may regret this move sooner than you think.

• Haha
Reactions: murrough and TB12

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
JP will not clear waivers, no doubt about that. There is more than one team interested. Edmonton may regret this move sooner than you think.

You meant to say “Edmonton regrets not making this move sooner”
I am a big fan of his and know we will most likely regret the way JP's career in Edmonton has shaken out.

But.

I am not sure if he even gets claimed on waivers with his 3 mill cap hit and qualifying offer being higher next year.

Even if interested in him, why take him? Just wait for Edmonton to not qualify him in the offseason and start negotiations from there.

There is no way any team qualifies JP at his current pay rate.

His play does not warrant it and he has self admitted he may be washed up as an NHLer. What little value he has got killed with his comments.

Waiver JP and having someone take him for free is a big win, unfortunately, just because of his cap hit.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
The number of people who will regret this move is very small. Rightly or wrongly. He’s not even polarizing anymore.

1676055483490.jpeg

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
3 million cap space is infinitely more valuable to the oilers .

JP could get claimed and score 30 goals in 15 games and it won't matter to the oilers because he is done here.

We don't need players that can't soak up McDavid points. Vinny D is offensive powerhouse compared to JP at the moment

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I would still rather have him as a depth forward than a few guys on the roster but the problem remains that he's priced out of that role.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Kaptah

Jul 15, 2007
“We talked about wanting to crank it up in the third period and Jesse went out there and scored a huge goal for our team,” said head coach Jay Woodcroft. “The reaction of his teammates when he scored that goal shows how close our team is and how everyone is so happy for him, including the coaching staff. I thought he played a really good game.”

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
“We talked about wanting to crank it up in the third period and Jesse went out there and scored a huge goal for our team,” said head coach Jay Woodcroft. “The reaction of his teammates when he scored that goal shows how close our team is and how everyone is so happy for him, including the coaching staff. I thought he played a really good game.”
1676173085966.gif

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I too noticed how excited his teammates were for him. That shows us that in spite of his struggles he has put in the work and not been a distraction in the room. Good for him.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I too noticed how excited his teammates were for him. That shows us that in spite of his struggles he has put in the work and not been a distraction in the room. Good for him.
nice post Bryan. Certainly Pulju has put in the work. He's sure had trouble finishing but lately firing with more confidence and perhaps more importantly getting to more spots so that he can have chances on net. Was really nice for Kulak to send him home with that great pass. Sometimes when a player is struggling so immensely the puck doesn't end up going to that player as much. Pulju was even thumping stick on ice twice in the game for a pass so he was feeling it too.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
But Woody is right and its not an insignificant point, and its not about Pulju. Its about the team having the right attitude to support players that are struggling. When I saw that goal I immediately went back to Drai working with Pulju on his shot multiple times after practice and having the generosity and foresight to do that. Which is leadership.

One of the best gifts that Keith bestowed on the Oilers is flat out saying that you HAVE to support your own players, and he made the comment in reference to observing that the team did not have koskinens back. Next thing you know both McD and Drai were reminding how important it is to support everybody in the room.

So that this for the Oilers is part of growing up and in fairness they've lacked that strong vet in the room that can tell them where the shortcomings are. Keith was a team concept whisperer here. We're seeing dividends when the team rallies behind a struggling Pulju or Foegele, or Campbell. See how hard the team works when Campbell is in net?

Reactions: TB12

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Because he finally got a goal? Was a nice goal, but scoring a single goal isn't going to keep him on the team.
No, it doesn't, but Pulju has scored 4 goals in his last 19GP while being mostly in bottomsix and playing limited minutes. The same player notched 14G in 65GP last season which prorates to around 20G. The same player is leading the team in hits this season. Again given limited minutes its clear Pulju is making a contribution and that he's even starting to shake out of a horrendous slump. If traded I could see the same player being a physical headache to play against and notching some goals while being a hard working player.

Every non star player goes through slumps. Some worse than others.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
But Woody is right and its not an insignificant point, and its not about Pulju. Its about the team having the right attitude to support players that are struggling. When I saw that goal I immediately went back to Drai working with Pulju on his shot multiple times after practice and having the generosity and foresight to do that. Which is leadership.

One of the best gifts that Keith bestowed on the Oilers is flat out saying that you HAVE to support your own players, and he made the comment in reference to observing that the team did not have koskinens back. Next thing you know both McD and Drai were reminding how important it is to support everybody in the room.

So that this for the Oilers is part of growing up and in fairness they've lacked that strong vet in the room that can tell them where the shortcomings are. Keith was a team concept whisperer here. We're seeing dividends when the team rallies behind a struggling Pulju or Foegele, or Campbell. See how hard the team works when Campbell is in net?
I take no argument with anything you said. And I like that you reminded me about Campbell because I said as much as this when he was barely treading water. I’m at the spot however, that things have to move in the next 24 hours to accommodate current roster players and it then becomes an opportunity to make some moves to upgrade the roster at the midrange forward level or lay foundation for a defence upgrade (or Both?).

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I take no argument with anything you said. And I like that you reminded me about Campbell because I said as much as this when he was barely treading water. I’m at the spot however, that things have to move in the next 24 hours to accommodate current roster players and it then becomes an opportunity to make some moves to upgrade the roster at the midrange forward level or lay foundation for a defence upgrade (or Both?).
I'm hoping though its not just a move for the sake of moving somebody. Pulju is a usable player and has mostly been in the lineup. For the money it would be hard to find better as another poster in this thread summarized statistically. But if its a move where we could obtain a Chychryn (I'll never spell that name right) or Provorov then that actually helps the club. Albeit we will be short one more forward so thats still a problem.

its still my take that Pulju can show better in this league if he puts his mind to it. Its interesting that against teams like Columbus, he shows that he can. The player needs to be more consistent and ready to play more games, and not in a funk in a lot of them. Pulju issues are between the ears. Theres the rudiments of a player here. Sure has been a long time.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I'm hoping though its not just a move for the sake of moving somebody. Pulju is a usable player and has mostly been in the lineup. For the money it would be hard to find better as another poster in this thread summarized statistically. But if its a move where we could obtain a Chychryn (I'll never spell that name right) or Provorov then that actually helps the club. Albeit we will be short one more forward so thats still a problem.

its still my take that Pulju can show better in this league if he puts his mind to it. Its interesting that against teams like Columbus, he shows that he can. The player needs to be more consistent and ready to play more games, and not in a funk in a lot of them. Pulju issues are between the ears. Theres the rudiments of a player here. Sure has been a long time.
This. And sometimes you just have to cut bait. But, yes let’s make sure it’s to build better.

Reactions: Kaptah

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad