Value of: Jesse Puljujärvi

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
A lot of people outside of Edmonton are the same way. However many of them claim to know that Puljujarvi is a bust... Edmonton should hold an to this player and develop him properly.

What's your opinion on his current play and what he will become

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
What's your opinion on his current play and what he will become

Currently: He lacks confidence and isn't thinking the game well. He has made some bonehead plays and at other times looks disinterested. I think he knows he is in the coaches doghouse and isn't mature enough to handle it. Time in the AHL to regain his confidence, which he showed a lot of in the pre-season, and a bit of polish to his game would do a world of good.

He is also currently a great skater, with great top end speed, growing into a big frame (6'4", 201 lbs and an arm span of a jumbo jet) and takes his defensive duties seriously when his head is in the game.

I think he maxes out as a top 6 winger, 50-60 points who will be extremely difficult to defend against. Powerful, strong on the puck who won't hurt you in your own zone. Play maker more than a scorer. The kind of winger you want out on the ice in a 4-4 tie with one minute left.

Just my take.

Reactions: McCombo

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I don't think it would be a bad decision if Chiarelli were to make calls designed to gauge interest. If the Oilers management faith in him is waning it would be poor management not to attempt to find a believer to facilitate a deal with that could help the team, ideally over the long haul.
Of course if they feel the diamond just requires further polishing to reveal it's luster then don't waste the dimes. It's not like his play to this point is going to require significant cap space to purchase a couple more years to complete the experiment.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
A lot of people outside of Edmonton are the same way. However many of them claim to know that Puljujarvi is a bust... Edmonton should hold an to this player and develop him properly.

That's been the problem though of course.... develop properly. As you've said, he should be down in the AHL, working on his game, and building confidence. He should be there full time, for a full season, no matter what. You can't keep moving a guy up and down, when he clearly isn't ready. I think he has the capability to be a very good player, but he needs development, and help to get there, from coaching, and whatever resources are necessary for him to reach his potential. You scratch him, and play him in a manner that doesn't give him a great chance to succeed, and he will eventually bust, or need a new start elsewhere.

Reactions: TFHockey

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Koivu is not leaving Minnesota, and sure as hell isn't going to EDM.

I could see MN offering Kunin or Sokolov+2nd for Pulju. That's about it. He MIGHT flourish with Granlund and Koivu mentoring him. I'm sure that they would advise Fenton on what the deal is with him, and whether he is salvageable or not.

You know full well that those low balls would never for a minute be considered, right?

Though Kunin is from this continent so our org could be counted on to give him the time of day. American? Even better, Chia loves Yankees.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
he is not ruined. yet....

he should be in bakersfield and every minute he stays on the big club is a travesty

development is a process and trying to force him to be ready when he clearly is not comfortable only pushes him further away

people need to read Eberle's comments about expectations in edmonton. this is an everything oilers town, and players are people, they are still kids in many ways, offten coddled and not used to extreme Pressure.

trying harder is not necessarily going to help, athletic talent is a controlled process, and trying harder only stifles that talent.

send him down for the rest of the season. let the kid breathe again.

otherwise face the prospect of losing him forever

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I hate to throw this out there, but if the Leafs get Nylander under contract, and decide to keep him, I wonder about a Kapanen for Puljujarvi, as a basis, acknowledging that there might need to be an addition to even things out... though perhaps not significant. You've got Kapanen at a PPG right now, with great wheels and a good PK... With his speed, McDavid and him would be pretty deadly. Though the Leafs may also switch him to LW, and play Kapanen/Matthews/Nylander together.

Yes, Jesse as an individual, may have more upside, but he's not on a trajectory to achieve that right now, and in all probability, Toronto could afford to stick him on the Marlies, give him decent support there, and be ok with the move. Kapanen is far more ready right now, which would help the Oilers now.

I'm expecting both Leafs and Oilers fans to balk at this one...

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I hate to throw this out there, but if the Leafs get Nylander under contract, and decide to keep him, I wonder about a Kapanen for Puljujarvi, as a basis, acknowledging that there might need to be an addition to even things out... though perhaps not significant. You've got Kapanen at a PPG right now, with great wheels and a good PK... With his speed, McDavid and him would be pretty deadly. Though the Leafs may also switch him to LW, and play Kapanen/Matthews/Nylander together.

Yes, Jesse as an individual, may have more upside, but he's not on a trajectory to achieve that right now, and in all probability, Toronto could afford to stick him on the Marlies, give him decent support there, and be ok with the move. Kapanen is far more ready right now, which would help the Oilers now.

I'm expecting both Leafs and Oilers fans to balk at this one...

Here's your 1st balk. :)

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Hes been awful.. He needs AHL so damn bad. Oilers wont be trading him right now just cause his trade value would be very low so the return wont be good.

Sure hes only 20 but i just cant get over how bad he looks on the ice. Seems like he is struggling even more this season than last year.

Let him play in AHL and hopefully he can catch fire down there and build up his confidence

No need to rush him at all Oilers!!

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
As an Oiler fan I’ve seen a few Toronto fans offer kapanen. I think that’s a fair trade and babs is probably the right coach for him. Jp seems like the type of kid that needs lots of encouragement rather than tough love

There is ZERO chance Leafs offer Kapanen for him. Kapanen has been awesome and holds WAY more value than him.

Kapanen is a prime example why Oilers need to just let Puljujarvi develop in the minors. I know alot of people were starting to get concerned about Kapanen the past couple years but now at 22 he looks awesome

Last edited:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
There is ZERO chance Leafs offer Kapanen for him. Kapanen has been awesome and holds WAY more value than him.

Here is the problem from the Toronto perspective. Let's suppose that Kapanen maintains this pace this year... He moves to the LW when Nylander is signed. Let's say Kapanen gets 60 points this year? What exactly do you think he's earned contract wise, and how exactly can we pay that? His contract is up this year. We can't really pay him more than $2 million, without moving other bodies. Sure, Kap is more developed, and doing great... but I think Jesse has more upside LT, plus Jesse has a few more years, at what will be a much smaller cap hit.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Here is the problem from the Toronto perspective. Let's suppose that Kapanen maintains this pace this year... He moves to the LW when Nylander is signed. Let's say Kapanen gets 60 points this year? What exactly do you think he's earned contract wise, and how exactly can we pay that? His contract is up this year. We can't really pay him more than $2 million, without moving other bodies. Sure, Kap is more developed, and doing great... but I think Jesse has more upside LT, plus Jesse has a few more years, at what will be a much smaller cap hit.

I just see Kapanen fetching the Leafs a way better return if he was dealt. Id rather see them use Kapanen in a deal to get a dman or picks/prospects than Puljujarvi.. Oilers would make out like bandits big time if that swap ever happened.

Alot of teams would be calling if Leafs made Kapanen available

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
He's gone full Yakupov.
Nice guy.. works hard.

Dumber than a sack of hammers on the ice.

He's the exact same player ... and I mean he hasn't improved anything 1 bit since the WJC.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I just see Kapanen fetching the Leafs a way better return if he was dealt. Id rather see them use Kapanen in a deal to get a dman or picks/prospects than Puljujarvi.. Oilers would make out like bandits big time if that swap ever happened.

Alot of teams would be calling if Leafs made Kapanen available

What, in your opinion, would Kapanen fetch if traded?

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Its PC, just offer up your 4th line grinder and you could probably get him honestly. The guy knows he will need to find something to blame or else he will get fired. Low ball him to death like teams have done successfully for the past 5+ years. Its not hard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad