Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi 4th Overall 2016 Draft. Part V: Called Up 11/10/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Drai wasn't dicked around like Jesse has been. Drai also had a crappy showing in the AHL. Jesse needs confidence, that doesn't come in the bottom 6 unless you are on a stacked team.

Yak played for Krueger in his rookie season and always sucked donkey defensively. Jesse doesn't give up anywhere near what Nail did defensively.
Drai was sent to the AHL, got mad didn't put up a great showing, came up and looked great. Pulju didn't.

Yak was much better offensively.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I looked at all the hilites you showed. Like I said one was a pure fluke goal deflection off his leg. Another was a goal mouth tap in. That represents the only set of multiple goal games in his career and it was against the Flames, who I consider a defensive joke. Another was a standard slot goal. The one timer was nice but sure not often replicated. It was against the worst club in the league.

I don't see where the Oilers demolished the confidence in the same way. Its Jesse's problem that he was poor out of camp and Exhibition season this year. It looked as if he wasn't prepared. Still, despite the poor showing by Pulju the team quickly brought him up (he wasn't even getting good results in the AHL) and gave him extended looks with McD or Drai

That's hardly throwing him nothing imo. I think he's been given adequate looks. I've seen a player that is worst on team for EV play as noted for extended stratches and all of 2018.

The responsibility of the player is to find NHL niches. To show an org, a coach the few things they do well. Even a lesser player like Pacman is doing that. Trying to carve out an NHL niche. That's why I repeatedly ask what Niche, what facets, is Pulju carving out here. because it really isn't evident in his play.

I do thank you for the hilites, but they don't speak much beyond some outlier moments in what has been a very disappointing NA career thus far.

That the player has been flatlining for 2 mths is a huge concern. One would think maybe some players that have a secure NHL job might falter down a meaningless stretch of games. For that player however, to be Pulju, with everything to prove, and that hasn't even established an NHL game is very disappointing. His play suggests not even caring about the results at this point. He's the worst forward on an NHL team with a weak bottomsix. That is saying something.

I mean, any set of highlights is going to be somewhat a set of outliers - that's why they're highlights and not full game tape!

I also recall that in the period that that one-timer was scored, Pulju was repeatedly putting beautiful one timers on net/off the post. I think, in response to your central point - what stand-out skill does he possess right now? - that's it. The one timer. It's what we should be sitting this player down and going 'ok Jesse - you've got a rocket of a one-timer. We're going to put you in positions to use that, so can you please focus on working on that skill?'

Instead it seems like TMac has said, at best, 'ok jesse, until you're as good as Draisaitl next to Connor, you're stuck on the third line. Dig your way out'. Or maybe he's saying 'work on everything'. I definitely see 0 example of coaching to work on a specific skillset.

Reactions: PulYou

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I mean, any set of highlights is going to be somewhat a set of outliers - that's why they're highlights and not full game tape!

I also recall that in the period that that one-timer was scored, Pulju was repeatedly putting beautiful one timers on net/off the post. I think, in response to your central point - what stand-out skill does he possess right now? - that's it. The one timer. It's what we should be sitting this player down and going 'ok Jesse - you've got a rocket of a one-timer. We're going to put you in positions to use that, so can you please focus on working on that skill?'

Instead it seems like TMac has said, at best, 'ok jesse, until you're as good as Draisaitl next to Connor, you're stuck on the third line. Dig your way out'. Or maybe he's saying 'work on everything'. I definitely see 0 example of coaching to work on a specific skillset.
To be fair 5v5 Pulju doesn't really get himself into those positions either.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Player do show growth in the early 20s.
If Pulju showed much growth from his draft year than I would have more faith but by in large he is the exact same player he was when he first put on the Oilers jersey.

I want people to earn their spots, that doesn't happen this year and it needs to happen next year. If Pulju is one of the top 4 wingers out of camp then hell yeah, put him in the top 6 to start. But if he comes into camp like he did last year? Then he hasn't earned anything.

If confidence didn't mean a ****ing thing, I'd agree with you. Right now he needs someone to believe in him and let him play the game that got him drafted so high. Todd has basically told him that he has to play a big mans game instead of a skilled game. That may bode well for him down the road, but he needs to have confidence in his abilities. The way that he handles the puck he clearly doesn't. Regardless I'm not going round and round with this. Our coaching staff is proving to be every bit as bad as Eakins was yet the player gets all the blame, it makes no sense at all.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
To be fair 5v5 Pulju doesn't really get himself into those positions either.

He was though. I saw it happen all the time for a period I think between December to early Jan. The shots weren't going in a ton, but he ripped a lot of beautiful shots in a number of games.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
If confidence didn't mean a ****ing thing, I'd agree with you. Right now he needs someone to believe in him and let him play the game that got him drafted so high. Todd has basically told him that he has to play a big mans game instead of a skilled game. That may bode well for him down the road, but he needs to have confidence in his abilities. The way that he handles the puck he clearly doesn't. Regardless I'm not going round and round with this. Our coaching staff is proving to be every bit as bad as Eakins was yet the player gets all the blame, it makes no sense at all.

Right? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here for demanding that our coaches and organization LEARN TO DEVELOP A f***ING TOP FLIGHT PROSPECT. FOR ONCE.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The reality, again, is Pulju was ordinary throughout camp and Exhibition season. There was nothing in his game even at that time and Yamamoto's play was clearly superior in every facet.

Drai in his 2nd year was one of our best players in camp and Exhibition season and everybody was wondering why he got sent down.

Pulju wasn't ready to start the year and has been horrendous in 2018. For two months now he's produced next to nothing. Theres not a colder forward on this complete lineup.

If I'm Jesse I'm doing something to get noticed. expending some energy, throwing some hits, using his size AT LEAST BEING AN ENERGY guy. There is zero excuse for Pulju not at least bringing that given he's gone stonecold. . Even Slepy showed a fantastic game in Florida getting ugly, taking some runs at people, punching one Panther, making plays, almost scoring, What is Jesse doing?

Again, that's because he's playing in the bottom 6 with no top unit PP time. He's not doing himself any favors but the coaching staff isn't either.
I don't know why you and others can't admit that he showed improvements playing in the top 6 earlier this season.

On another note, I don't buy the Drai comparisons one bit. Drai's skills shone through right off the bat, it was just a matter of his feet catching up to his skills.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Where was Slepy against Tampa? He had lots of rest leading up to that B2B. Slepy is another player that played like crap for much of the season and has been buried by our wonderful coach. These guys need a coach that believes in them. Slepyshev is all tools and no toolbox under his coach.

Reactions: PulYou and Aerrol

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Okay so if he comes into camp and gets outplayed by pretty much every winger we have and he gets gravy top 6 time what kind of message does that send? Instead of having Lucic as a favorite like this year it just gets a young guy as a favorite who hasn't showed anything.

Coaching staff is bad and should be gone.

My point is the new staff isn't going to give a single shit what the old staff did. They would come in, evaluate the players from what they give them at camp and go from there. If he is getting guarenteed top 6 time thats management mettling and doesn't end well.

If Todd leaves its a second chance for Pulju.
Same thing happened for Yak when Todd was hired.

Everything that happened before is a shame but it's in the past, only the player in that situation can show what they are worth. If he comes into camp and he can't even play better than the majority of the wingers we have right now than we are in more trouble than we thought with him.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Where was Slepy against Tampa? He had lots of rest leading up to that B2B. Slepy is another player that played like crap for much of the season and has been buried by our wonderful coach. These guys need a coach that believes in them. Slepyshev is all tools and no toolbox under his coach.
Slepyshev his entire hockey career has been up and down. This is nothing new for him and not the coaching staffs fault. Guy has ZERO consistency in his game and never has.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Okay so if he comes into camp and gets outplayed by pretty much every winger we have and he gets gravy top 6 time what kind of message does that send? Instead of having Lucic as a favorite like this year it just gets a young guy as a favorite who hasn't showed anything.

Coaching staff is bad and should be gone.

My point is the new staff isn't going to give a single **** what the old staff did. They would come in, evaluate the players from what they give them at camp and go from there. If he is getting guarenteed top 6 time thats management mettling and doesn't end well.

If Todd leaves its a second chance for Pulju.
Same thing happened for Yak when Todd was hired.

Everything that happened before is a shame but it's in the past, only the player in that situation can show what they are worth. If he comes into camp and he can't even play better than the majority of the wingers we have right now than we are in more trouble than we thought with him.

He has the ability in him, right now he is a broken player. You don't keep crapping on him, you show him that you believe in him and put him in a position to succeed. How would Rattie be doing with Lucic and Strome or even Caggiula and Drai? Jesse is just what the Dr. ordered for the RNH-McDavid duo. A big body that can skate, cycle and shoot the puck. Once the goals start coming so too will the rest of his game.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Slepyshev his entire hockey career has been up and down. This is nothing new for him and not the coaching staffs fault. Guy has ZERO consistency in his game and never has.
The only consistency the coaching staff has is making sure Lucic get top 6 minutes and PP time. The rest is line juggling and playing with players' confidence

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Thanks as usual for your replies.

My take on a one timer is I need to see it consistently. Even Yak can really crank it but the problem is often consistency. Lots of players can get that beauty snipe off once in awhile. Its being able to uncork it with greater probability that tends to be the thing.

I'll use a weird comparison here but it also involves honed mechanics. I've played tennis a fair amount in my life. I've played a lot of players that have much better skillsets than I have and have consistently beat them (because I worked harder around the court and chase the balls) I've played countless players that have a serve that blows mine right out of the water. But I had a much better return game than them and I noted several of these players could really crank a top serve on occasion but would double fault several times a match trying to do it. I mention this because there is a quantum difference between getting "all of that one" occasionally, vs having the mechanics actually down.

Look at Leon. To me he has the best one timer on the team and how many looks does he get with that cannon. Almost scored on it again yesterday, goalie made a great stop. The Oilers don't specifically look for Leon in that spot very often. In fact most of the time he's on the PP they are putting him back on the point because they like his shot and puck control from there. Still, everytime Leon is getting a chance at a one timer he is cranking it and getting all of it 9/10. now THAT is a one timer.

I would be interested to see Pulju in practice working on his own one timer. I suspect its not too consistent. we're sure not seeing it much.

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
He has the ability in him, right now he is a broken player. You don't keep crapping on him, you show him that you believe in him and put him in a position to succeed. How would Rattie be doing with Lucic and Strome or even Caggiula and Drai? Jesse is just what the Dr. ordered for the RNH-McDavid duo. A big body that can skate, cycle and shoot the puck. Once the goals start coming so too will the rest of his game.
I am not talking about the rest of this year. This year, throw Pulju or anyone up there and try anything.
My point is a new coaching staff isn't going to go and see "Look at this baby nhl player, didn't get lots of ice time last year. Oh he had a bad camp, he deserves top 6 time cause I feel bad"

No a new coach would go in and go hey you bunch of shitters, earn your spot in camp.

If Pulju has a shitty camp again with a new coach he needs to earn his way up. Not just given gravy time cause we feel bad.

It's completely possible that he works his ass off this summer and has a great camp. In fact he NEEDS that for his career.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Slepy played excellent against Florida. Was one of the best Oilers in that game. He did play a lukewarm game against Tampa. At least he played well in one of them.

I mentioned this because against Florida Slepy was hitting, engaged, punched a Panther in the face, (Trocheck I believe) wa flying in on the forecheck and was an energy beast in the game. The very things Pulju should be doing through an extended cold spell and isn't doing.

key on Pulju for his shifts. Its hard to even discern when there is hustle in his game presently. It honestly looks like he's running out the string. He's not showing involvement in anyway. Even playing with Draisaitl.

One 3 on 2 Yesterday, drai gains blueline in traffic, rush looks dangerous, he headmans Jesse the puck (and Leon is bursting up middle to break contain and get a breakaway expecting a feed back from Jesse. ) However Jess had for some reason stopped skating and blew the whole rush. Leon probably wondering why Jesse didn't even bother to keep skating on a 3 on 2 rush. It was uncanny. No, it was BAD. Its the kind of thing you do if you want even your linemates to lose faith in the effort you are bringing.

Last edited:

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Thanks as usual for your replies.

I would be interested to see Pulju in practice working on his own one timer. I suspect its not too consistent. we're sure not seeing it much.

Thanks as well for the thought out replies. To the last point here, I'd suspect Todd doesn't have him practicing it at all because he wants him to work on his dump and chase, lol.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Slepy played excellent against Florida. Was one of the best Oilers in that game. He did play a lukewarm game against Tampa. At least he played well in one of them.

I mentioned this because against Florida Slepy was hitting, engaged, punched a Panther in the face, (Trocheck I believe) wa flying in on the forecheck and was an energy beast in the game. The very things Pulju should be doing through an extended cold spell and isn't doing.

key on Pulju for his shifts. Its hard to even discern when there is hustle in his game presently. It honestly looks like he's running out the string. He's not showing involvement in anyway. Even playing with Draisaitl.
I have been watching Pulju and Bear pretty much every time they have been on the ice for the last week or so. Cause out of the young guys on our roster, their games evolution is the most important.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
It is absolutely disgusting that we are more worried about getting Looch and Pontus ****ing Aberg confidence going into the offseason over Jesse. If he isn't stapled to McDavid or Drai next season from the start of the season something is wrong. Look at how playing with Hall helped Draisaitl to take off. Had he been playing with players like Patrick O'Sullivan or Yakupov would that have happened so quickly?
In these meaningless games I would to try this.

RNH-Mcdavid-whoever
whoever-Drai-JP

Small sample size but Im liking nuge so far up top. JP is big body lets try him with Drai. I like your point about Hall helping Drai, maybe Drai can help JP. But it has to be consistent, even if he makes a turn over keep him there for 10 games. Lets see if there is chemistry.

That could be the foundation of a solid top 6 for a long time. Swap in cheap wingers (whether cheap UFA or prospects/next Maroon) and after they have success and price themselves off the team you retool.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I have been watching Pulju and Bear pretty much every time they have been on the ice for the last week or so. Cause out of the young guys on our roster, their games evolution is the most important.

With Bear I've been pretty positive. The guy is taking chances, trying to get noticed, showing his skillsets. Now THAT is a guy that is trying to impress. Hats off to any player that is doing that.

OK, now this point won't be popular. Outlier scoring moment. Paajarvi, 15 goals rookie year and to me most of them looked like blind luck. NEVER looked like a dangerous NHL player and almost ALWAYs looked like a player unwilling to go to the areas or take the punishment to get in, and stay in scoring areas.

Only reason I bring it up is that there can be outlier moments of some NHL scoring (Yak indication of this as well)

Now Pulju is not that, he's a potential physical beast. But it just tears me up that he refuses to use his physicality. He's stronger and bigger than Slepy, Pakarinen but isn't even showing that. At LEAST be a physical player out there. At least punish defenders on forecheck, at least use you skating. Do anything. please. ;)

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
With Bear I've been pretty positive. The guy is taking chances, trying to get noticed, showing his skillsets. Now THAT is a guy that is trying to impress. Hats off to any player that is doing that.

OK, now this point won't be popular. Outlier scoring moment. Paajarvi, 15 goals rookie year and to me most of them looked like blind luck. NEVER looked like a dangerous NHL player and almost ALWAYs looked like a player unwilling to go to the areas or take the punishment to get in, and stay in scoring areas.

Only reason I bring it up is that there can be outlier moments of some NHL scoring (Yak indication of this as well)

Now Pulju is not that, he's a potential physical beast. But it just tears me up that he refuses to use his physicality. He's stronger and bigger than Slepy, Pakarinen but isn't even showing that. At LEAST be a physical player out there. At least punish defenders on forecheck, at least use you skating. Do anything. please. ;)
With Bear I see his flaws but I can see his effort. That try factor and I see the glimpses of what he can do.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Right? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here for demanding that our coaches and organization LEARN TO DEVELOP A ****ING TOP FLIGHT PROSPECT. FOR ONCE.
What about McDavid, Draisaitl, Hall. Eberle, Nuge, Nurse, ?

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
The reality, again, is Pulju was ordinary throughout camp and Exhibition season. There was nothing in his game even at that time

He actually didnt do too badly in the preseason games. He would've deserved a spot before some other forwards, but for some reason it turned into either Puljujarvi or Yamamoto thing.

Jesse had three regular preseason games and one split-squad game, right? Out of the normal games he had two pretty good ones. After the last game I think all the comments here were positive (can dig those up for you if you like) and here's articles and quotes from an earlier one:

Puljujarvi lights it up in Oilers pre-season win over Jets

Oilers pull away late to remain undefeated in pre-season | CBC Sports

Must See: Puljujarvi and McDavid team up for incredible preseason goal

Head coach Todd McLellan finally bumped him up to the first line with Connor McDavid and Patrick Maroon for an opportunity to show more of his stuff and the chemistry was immediate.

“Good for him to find those pucks,” said McDavid, who had a three-point night himself. “It takes a good goal scorer to be able to find the puck in traffic and get a shot away.”

McDavid said he was happy to see Puljujarvi pick up the pace and get rewarded with some points.
"It was good for him," he said. "He's a young guy and confidence is everything. Feeling like you belong in this league and knowing that you can compete against these guys and be successful. For any young guy that is the true battle, and hopefully this gives him a lot of confidence."

“Now that it’s my second game I feel more confidence.”

It's clear Puljujarvi is gaining more confidence and could be ready to make an impact at the NHL level. The idea of McDavid on a line with the Finnish sniper must have Oilers fans salivating.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
What about McDavid, Draisaitl, Hall. Eberle, Nuge, Nurse, ?

Nuge Eberle and Hall developed despite the org, not because of it. Nuge and Eberle especially stagnated because of the organization IMO. Draisaitl I'd say the same - I haven't heard or read one story of how the organization developed him.
Nurse is the only one I'd say we've done a decent job bringing along.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Well, I've rarely been salivating at the prospect of Pulju shifts.

I just spent the last half hour watching Pulju Euro hilites.

The only thing I can state really is this is not the player we are seeing here. It seldom is. He's using hardly any of the skillsets that got him here. He doesn't even resemble the same player.

He makes a good play here maybe every five games. I suspect he was looking like a gamebreaker most games in Europe. He just isn't being that player here.

But then I have to add that on a lot of the hilites I see of his Euro play the goalies and D look decidedly subpar, and also that Pulju looks big and plays big at that level.

Pulju doesn't play big in the NHL, at all, its one of the biggest concerns that a huge player has hardly any physical presence here.

Reactions: CycloneSweep
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad