Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi 4th Overall 2016 Draft. Part V: Called Up 11/10/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
None of our wingers are even going to hit 40 points this year.

That's so pathetic.

Or even 15 goals. That's ridiculously pathetic. Not one winger looks to have even much of a chance at hitting 15.

Ryan Strome is the closest at 12. Its depressing to say that. (plus he's playing Center a lot)

if you told anybody here at the start of the year that Ryan Strome would be the Oilers 4th leading scorer you would get threadbans.

People would assume anybody stating that was just trolling. Seriously, that's how bad this all is.

Its of particular note in this thread as Pulju had 10 goals by Xmas Holiday season. Who would think he has 11 now? That's just incredibly disappointing.

ET call home.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Is there an NHL stat on goalposts hit? Strome would have to be leading the league. Or Lucic. Or the Oilers in general... We have an allstar goal post hitting squad. ;)

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
He makes a good play here maybe every five games. I suspect he was looking like a gamebreaker most games in Europe. He just isn't being that player here.

But then I have to add that on a lot of the hilites I see of his Euro play the goalies and D look decidedly subpar, and also that Pulju looks big and plays big at that level.

You have obviously forgotten it but if you check his first stretch of games this season it felt there's some kind of praising comments about Jesse after each shift he played. Of course that's not quite the case, but how I felt when I read them through. Now it's been almost the opposite, not much bad, but not much good either. We can talk about why the situation is like it is, but the fact is he was terrific at the start of his season.

As for the Euro goalies, the Finnish goalies are excellent. Of course the NHL is the NHL, but other than that (and maybe KHL) it's hard to find as good goalies anywhere. Some of the best ones either could have at least some kind of a career in the NHL, have played some games there or will play in the near future.

Rinne, Rask, Backstrom, Kiprusoff, Raanta, Lehtonen, Koskinen (St. Petersburg / KHL), Thomas, Niemi, Markkanen, Nurminen, Ramo, Korpisalo, Noronen and many others have played in the FEL before getting to the NHL and within the next few years there'll be new Finnish goalies playing over here. If the best Finnish goalies have had no chances against Jesse's shot there's a fair chance it can work in the NHL, too. But if the Oilers aren't willing to give it a go maybe we'll see that when he plays in another team. I just can't see him staying in a team where he can't use that optimally, but I believe that'll change next year.

Reactions: PulYou

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Is there an NHL stat on goalposts hit? Strome would have to be leading the league. Or Lucic. Or the Oilers in general... We have an allstar goal post hitting squad. ;)

I do have to say Jesse has had quite a few, too. Last year he had eight post/crossbar hits, so it was quite remarkable when you consider he scored only one goal. Yes, I was stupid enough to count and wrote them down over here, so they can be found from the old posts. Oh boy how I've used my time, oh well, it could be worse I guess :)

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
It's amazing how brain less this management group is. I said right from his draft day they should spend like $3000-$4000 to hire him a personal English tutor in Finland to teach him 1-on-1. Insist on it.

It's like investing in a $100,000 car and then refusing to spend $120 on the plastic coating protection or something stupid and driving home and getting a bunch of rock chips on the paint immediately.

This is something that is astounding... right at the draft I was thinking "ok, so he doesn't speak English. No worries, he'll have a personal tutor within days." Then I didn't really think much of it because it was such an obvious thing that I couldn't imagine it not happening. Silly me.

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
This is from Lowetide's blog from today: "The young man is 740 minutes into his first full season and we’re unlikely to get a bunch more information on him for next year. JP is performing pretty well on the Strome line, he has 11 goals on 119 shots. He has 49 individual high danger scoring chances in 55 games, all but one of his points are primary. I badly want to write a story on him over at The Athletic, but I’ve already written the story (worrying over impatient franchise being patient) and we’re just going to have to watch how this plays out. I am encouraged by his season."

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Well, I've rarely been salivating at the prospect of Pulju shifts.

I just spent the last half hour watching Pulju Euro hilites.

The only thing I can state really is this is not the player we are seeing here. It seldom is. He's using hardly any of the skillsets that got him here. He doesn't even resemble the same player.

He makes a good play here maybe every five games. I suspect he was looking like a gamebreaker most games in Europe. He just isn't being that player here.

Boy, doesn't this sound familiar? It's almost like you could have written the exact same thing about Gagner, Schultz, Yakupov, and even RNH, who has never looked as good as he did as a rookie.

Reactions: onetweasy

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You have obviously forgotten it but if you check his first stretch of games this season it felt there's some kind of praising comments about Jesse after each shift he played. Of course that's not quite the case, but how I felt when I read them through. Now it's been almost the opposite, not much bad, but not much good either. We can talk about why the situation is like it is, but the fact is he was terrific at the start of his season.

As for the Euro goalies, the Finnish goalies are excellent. Of course the NHL is the NHL, but other than that (and maybe KHL) it's hard to find as good goalies anywhere. Some of the best ones either could have at least some kind of a career in the NHL, have played some games there or will play in the near future.

Rinne, Rask, Backstrom, Kiprusoff, Raanta, Lehtonen, Koskinen (St. Petersburg / KHL), Thomas, Niemi, Markkanen, Nurminen, Ramo, Korpisalo, Noronen and many others have played in the FEL before getting to the NHL and within the next few years there'll be new Finnish goalies playing over here. If the best Finnish goalies have had no chances against Jesse's shot there's a fair chance it can work in the NHL, too. But if the Oilers aren't willing to give it a go maybe we'll see that when he plays in another team. I just can't see him staying in a team where he can't use that optimally, but I believe that'll change next year.

Looking back through the thread I started posting here regularly in the thread around page 70 or so. Prior to that I wasn't posting in the thread or looking at the comments so I did miss that phase. I have watched all of the games except a couple.

I realize there is a lot of quality finnish goalies but theres a lot of long range stuff there pretty much unscreened going in. That's hard to fathom. Also a lot of breaking right in between the D which rarely occurs here.

But again most of what I see is Pulju playing a big boy game there and physically dominating opposition and him being unable to do that here with any consistency.

Do you think its really ALL the Oilers org fault that Pulju isn't bringing any semblance of his Euro game? He looks neutered here. It is interesting to look at all the hilites because based on his play here I wouldn't know how he even went first round as a pick.

Heres a thing. If you in your mind erased your impression of his Euro play, had never seen those games, and had ONLY ever seen his NHL play your view on the player might approximate my own by now. Its maybe fair to stated that. Remember that we come at this from entirely different perspectives. I was never watching him in Euro play. First time I ever saw him play was here. So that's my bias. But the difficulty is his pro career is happening here, not in Europe presently. Albeit its looking more and more like a player going back to Europe.

Omark was even more noticeable. I detested that player.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Ryan Strome is the closest at 12. Its depressing to say that. (plus he's playing Center a lot)

if you told anybody here at the start of the year that Ryan Strome would be the Oilers 4th leading scorer you would get threadbans.

People would assume anybody stating that was just trolling. Seriously, that's how bad this all is.

Oh I don't know... amidst the wild optimism of the offseason, who ELSE would we have expected to beat him? I mean McD, Drai, Nuge are easy... after that it was dog's breakfast. Lucic? Maybe Maroon?

I'm just saying there wasn't a clear definite 50 point winger on the roster to start the season, Lucic & Strome closest to it.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Boy, doesn't this sound familiar? It's almost like you could have written the exact same thing about Gagner, Schultz, Yakupov, and even RNH, who has never looked as good as he did as a rookie.

3 of the above players looked very good here as rookies. How is it remotely comparable? ALL those forwards hit the ground running in their rookie seasons.

Unlike these players Pulju has rarely looked good here. He wasn't even noticeable in his rookie portion season. He hasn't been most of this year.

Again with Pulju we've NEVER seen his alleged game with any consistency. Maybe a moment here or there. All too fleeting.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Oh I don't know... amidst the wild optimism of the offseason, who ELSE would we have expected to beat him? I mean McD, Drai, Nuge are easy... after that it was dog's breakfast. Lucic? Maybe Maroon?

I'm just saying there wasn't a clear definite 50 point winger on the roster to start the season, Lucic & Strome closest to it.

you're preaching to the choir. My question at the start of the season is where are the goals going to come from beyond our highly paid forwards. There was no depth scoring in this lineup. Recruiting Jokinen sure didn't lessen that concern.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
3 of the above players looked very good here as rookies. How is it remotely comparable? ALL those forwards hit the ground running in their rookie seasons.

Unlike these players Pulju has rarely looked good here. He wasn't even noticeable in his rookie portion season. He hasn't been most of this year.

I don't disagree that he's started worse. But it's the exact same trend this org has shown for a decade of taking an excellent prospect, and telling them to stop focusing on what got them to the NHL and instead do something completely different. And then they wonder why those players no longer look as good.

RNH and Gags were told to bulk up for board work and defensive responsibility instead of working on their offensive skills and creativity.
Schultz same deal, rather than his one timer and passing ability. Yak was told he needed to be a two way forechecking player instead of a shooting offensive winger. Etc etc etc.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This stat is on the NHLs website.

NHL.com - Stats

I'm a bit dubious on it's accuracy.

I just spent 10mins trying to find where goal posts are listed. Seeing virtually everything else. I had to rerun the report as your link was showing "no results"

The NHL stats interface is brutally non intuitive. I basically give up trying to find stuff in there.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Looking back through the thread I started posting here regularly in the thread around page 70 or so. Prior to that I wasn't posting in the thread or looking at the comments so I did miss that phase. I have watched all of the games except a couple.

I realize there is a lot of quality finnish goalies but theres a lot of long range stuff there pretty much unscreened going in. That's hard to fathom. Also a lot of breaking right in between the D which rarely occurs here.

But again most of what I see is Pulju playing a big boy game there and physically dominating opposition and him being unable to do that here with any consistency.

Do you think its really ALL the Oilers org fault that Pulju isn't bringing any semblance of his Euro game? He looks neutered here. It is interesting to look at all the hilites because based on his play here I wouldn't know how he even went first round as a pick.

Heres a thing. If you in your mind erased your impression of his Euro play, had never seen those games, and had ONLY ever seen his NHL play your view on the player might approximate my own by now. Its maybe fair to stated that. Remember that we come at this from entirely different perspectives. I was never watching him in Euro play. First time I ever saw him play was here. So that's my bias. But the difficulty is his pro career is happening here, not in Europe presently. Albeit its looking more and more like a player going back to Europe.

Omark was even more noticeable. I detested that player.

No, I hoped I'd made myself clear I don't think it's only the org's fault. But I still think it's very possible (IMO very likely actually) that with different treatment there would be absolutely no worries. I hope you see I have no trouble admitting Jesse hasn't been at his best or even close during this calendar year, especially the last month. But I have trouble understanding how come some writers say he's never showed anything in NA.

I am still very confident that another organisation will turn Jesse into a star player so I don't think he'll be going to Europe as you wrote. But we'll see how things go, I still hope and believe that'll happen in the Oilers once Jesse has developed some more and when he's treated as he should. Don't know if that'll happen as long as TM is in charge, though.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don't disagree that he's started worse. But it's the exact same trend this org has shown for a decade of taking an excellent prospect, and telling them to stop focusing on what got them to the NHL and instead do something completely different. And then they wonder why those players no longer look as good.

RNH and Gags were told to bulk up for board work and defensive responsibility instead of working on their offensive skills and creativity.
Schultz same deal, rather than his one timer and passing ability. Yak was told he needed to be a two way forechecking player instead of a shooting offensive winger. Etc etc etc.

The difference is its hard for me to even see this as an excellent prospect as I've never seen Pulju being excellent anywhere in NA. Not in the NHL, not in the AHL. With all the others they did show that. In spades.

I've stated similar to what you stated but the team on the ice needs goals. Yesterday again Pulju getting looks with Draisaitl and failing to show any offensive instincts. So much so that he limited what offensive potential was had on that line.

As recently as days ago I was trying to look at the positives in regards to this player. Even made defenses of him in this and other threads recently. His outright giving up on plays is giving me a sour taste. I can't condone what he's showing. He's flat out giving up on the ice. That's ultimately on him. As it is on Yak. 10yrs from now its not worth a soda pop to say that "that there NHL coach done ruined my career" ;)

its up to Jesse to show anything. To show a reason to even play him or that he belongs in the NHL.

Reactions: McDreamy and Aerrol

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
No, I hoped I'd made myself clear I don't think it's only the org's fault. But I still think it's very possible (IMO very likely actually) that with different treatment there would be absolutely no worries. I hope you see I have no trouble admitting Jesse hasn't been at his best or even close during this calendar year, especially the last month. But I have trouble understanding how come some writers say he's never showed anything in NA.

I am still very confident that another organisation will turn Jesse into a star player so I don't think he'll be going to Europe as you wrote. But we'll see how things go, I still hope and believe that'll happen in the Oilers once Jesse has developed some more and when he's treated as he should. Don't know if that'll happen as long as TM is in charge, though.

This is my honest impression viewing his Euro play and hilites today. That the Oilers and its fans are getting cheated. Because this player, again, is bringing no semblance of the play that resulted in his high draft pick. The Oilers are getting next to nothing out of that pick.

Frankly it was shocking looking at his Euro hilites. I haven't even seen that Puljujarvi here. At any point. All I've ever seen here is the very occasional and rare hilite play.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond

To be fair, they had the bad fortune of coming into the NHL at a time when 'heavy hockey' was more in vogue, and were getting ragdolled on a regular basis. It's not insane to suggest to them improving their strength might help them to keep possession of the puck so they can have the opportunity to express their creativity and offensive prowess.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
To be fair, they had the bad fortune of coming into the NHL at a time when 'heavy hockey' was more in vogue, and were getting ragdolled on a regular basis. It's not insane to suggest to them improving their strength might help them to keep possession of the puck so they can have the opportunity to express their creativity and offensive prowess.

I mean, within reason. But both of them very clearly slowed down and lost a lot of their creativity as they were focusing solely on 'simple plays and defensive responsibility' that the Oilers apparently love to tell their prospects to focus on. That kind of hockey isn't what got either of them to the NHL.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
As recently as days ago I was trying to look at the positives in regards to this player. Even made defenses of him in this and other threads recently. His outright giving up on plays is giving me a sour taste. I can't condone what he's showing. He's flat out giving up on the ice. That's ultimately on him. As it is on Yak. 10yrs from now its not worth a soda pop to say that "that there NHL coach done ruined my career" ;)

its up to Jesse to show anything. To show a reason to even play him or that he belongs in the NHL.

I don't disagree with this. But I don't blame Pulju for giving up either - no one in the long term will care, but at the same time how hard can you keep busting your ass for a coach who won't give you a fair shake, apparently ever?

I'm reserving judgment until I see him with another coach. I hope it's not too late by then.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don't disagree with this. But I don't blame Pulju for giving up either - no one in the long term will care, but at the same time how hard can you keep busting your ass for a coach who won't give you a fair shake, apparently ever?

I'm reserving judgment until I see him with another coach. I hope it's not too late by then.
Pulju hasn't been busting his ass anytime in the last half season. Or any time at all his whole tenure here for more than say a couple game stretches. I see maybe a few shifts a game where he even looks to be involved. If lucic wasn't on this club it would be the most disengaged player on the roster.

Pulju isn't getting back at the headcoach doing this. Only he will lose.

Like Yak it could be very difficult for an inconsistent player that hasn't shown anything to get a serious look. Some team will take a chance if next season does not pan out, but the patience with a non draft team is always shorter. For a player that rarely shows his hand Jesse not making it here will be the worst thing he's done. He's basically pissing away everything that he has worked for.

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
Pulju hasn't been busting his ass anytime in the last half season. Or any time at all his whole tenure here for more than say a couple game stretches. I see maybe a few shifts a game where he even looks to be involved. If lucic wasn't on this club it would be the most disengaged player on the roster.

Pulju isn't getting back at the headcoach doing this. Only he will lose.

Like Yak it could be very difficult for an inconsistent player that hasn't shown anything to get a serious look. Some team will take a chance if next season does not pan out, but the patience with a non draft team is always shorter. For a player that rarely shows his hand Jesse not making it here will be the worst thing he's done. He's basically pissing away everything that he has worked for.

Many heated opionions from You on Pulju today. To me Your opinions would be somehow more convincing if You bothered to wrote for example like "Pulju has not been busting his ass anytime this half season..." and then You could tell Your evidence, how this is the way You allege.

Claims without substance, lack of "helicopter vision" - this is how I see these heated opinions.

It's like me saying Draisaitl has been mediocre without McDavid. But to me this would be intellectually dishonest, because I pay attention and to me TMac really hasn't help Draisaitl to succeed with constantly changing linemates...

Not meant to offend You... It is allowed to vent here, so please continue...

Reactions: MoneyGuy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad