Value of: Jesperi Kotkaniemi

Status
Not open for further replies.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
It was . Thank you . Remember all Montreal comments on Puljujarvi. Now the shoe is on the other foot .

I think that should be a lesson for all fanbases and GMs, stop rusking your European prospects. A player I really like is Hintz, now a good 2C for DAL for the past two years, was drafted in 2015 : then 2 seasons in the Liiga, 1 season in the AHL.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I think that should be a lesson for all fanbases and GMs, stop rusking your European prospects. A player I really like is Hintz, now a good 2C for DAL for the past two years, was drafted in 2015 : then 2 seasons in the Liiga, 1 season in the AHL.

I agree . I think KK will be fine . My reply was to a fan offering a 2nd saying that would be the most Montreal would get so I offered the Oilers 1st .

Reactions: Zahra Starker

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I agree . I think KK will be fine . My reply was to a fan offering a 2nd saying that would be the most Montreal would get so I offered the Oilers 1st .

No hard feelings here, no worries ;) I know how some fans can be, even from your own fan base. I believe the issue with Pulju is the Lias Andersson precedent too but I guess this is an other issue.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
No hard feelings here, no worries ;) I know how some fans can be, even from your own fan base. I believe the issue with Pulju is the Lias Andersson precedent too but I guess this is an other issue.

Dumb ass management . You don't bring a kid to a new country that can't speak the language and expect him to develop . He should've been left in Finland to develop and the Oilers should've hired him a tutor . Who knew the kid would do better now he can speak english . I don't get how some GMs make such terrible decisions .

Reactions: Gravity

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
as mentioned, he's not available. Been great so far. 20 years old. Just needs to develop more strength and consistency.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
It was . Thank you . Remember all Montreal comments on Puljujarvi. Now the shoe is on the other foot .
Unlike Puljujarvi KK is performing great in these playoffs. The more he plays the better he seems to get . He's gonna be that Great 2-way 2nd line C who could fill in into a 1st line center when needed. Habs have no interest in trading him. Sorry he's ours.

Random Comment

Mar 5, 2018
Hes worth a 10th overall pick. Somewhere in that range. Or a player like Connor Brown, Zach Hyman, Greenway. Just my opinion. KK is a complimentary skill guy, he’s never going to be the go to guy.

Zahra Starker

Mar 3, 2020
Toronto
Hes worth a 10th overall pick. Somewhere in that range. Or a player like Connor Brown, Zach Hyman, Greenway. Just my opinion. KK is a complimentary skill guy, he’s never going to be the go to guy.

Player like brown? Brown is worth a 10OVA? Jesus this is terrible. He's worth alot more than these players and any 10ova pick.

Reactions: HabsTown

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Dumb ass management . You don't bring a kid to a new country that can't speak the language and expect him to develop . He should've been left in Finland to develop and the Oilers should've hired him a tutor . Who knew the kid would do better now he can speak english . I don't get how some GMs make such terrible decisions .
Because of fan bases who want to see the new hope right now whatever the cost I guess...

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Unlike Puljujarvi KK is performing great in these playoffs. The more he plays the better he seems to get . He's gonna be that Great 2-way 2nd line C who could fill in into a 1st line center when needed. Habs have no interest in trading him. Sorry he's ours.
I wouldn’t be so quick to put down Puljujarvi. I really don’t see what makes Kotkaniemi more valuable than Puljujarvi, they’re both young euro players who had slow starts but are starting to find some momentum

Elnino

Apr 9, 2003
Visit site
Kotkaniemi has everything you want in a player (size, grit, shot, ability to raise game in playoffs, defensive awareness) but struggles to find consistency. When he does, he will be a top line forward for a very very long time. If I'm MB, I lock up this guy at 5M/year over 8 years and we'd look back on the contract in 3 years and wonder how the heck we got him so cheap.

alasania94

Sep 28, 2017
I wouldn’t be so quick to put down Puljujarvi. I really don’t see what makes Kotkaniemi more valuable than Puljujarvi, they’re both young euro players who had slow starts but are starting to find some momentum
kotkaniemi has 10 more career points in less amount of games played. and it doesn’t help that in year where his most common linemates were Mcdavid and Draisaitl he didn’t crack 0.5ppg. Oh, and Kotkaniemi’s two FULL years younger than Puljujarvi.

Puljujarvi just turned 23, kotkaniemi hasn’t even turned 21 lol.

there is no comparison to be made between the two

Elnino

Apr 9, 2003
Visit site
kotkaniemi has 10 more career points in less amount of games played. and it doesn’t help that in year where his most common linemates were Mcdavid and Draisaitl he didn’t crack 0.5ppg. Oh, and Kotkaniemi’s two FULL years younger than Puljujarvi.
Puljujaarvi has questionable hockey sense with a very interesting skillset, I do not see him as anything better than a complimentary 2nd liner on the right fit/team ala Dainius Zubrus. I foresee Kotkaniemi maturing into a Sean Couturier's type of player

Reactions: alasania94

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I don't think he'll be a superstar but I think he'll be pretty solid if given the opportunity and ice time. Reminds me a little of Joel Eriksson Ek

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I don't think he'll be a superstar but I think he'll be pretty solid if given the opportunity and ice time. Reminds me a little of Joel Eriksson Ek

Pretty hard to know what we have until he gets the opportunity in the regular season that he gets in the playoffs. There's been a significant regular season double standard when it comes to him and Nick. Nick has had equally long stretches of no production be he never got punished. Never lost his role, or line mates. KK has a bad period in the regular season and he can find himself down the bench. KK gets consistently stuck with Lehkonen and Armia. While the latter is doing well in a sheltered role on a line with Staal and Perry, neither he nor Leks are gonna rack up points. KK needs a FULL year on a line with guys as offensively capable as those Suzuki plays with. When KK gets PP time - even second unit - he shows he can drive scoring chances. He's also the best passer through the box on the team. I don't know if he gets to peak Bergeron or he never becomes more than a Jordan Staal. We won't until he's given an unfettered chance.

The question then becomes how to best facilitate that chance. I think you have to walk away from Danault. Let someone else pay him $6 million a year. He turned down $5 million a year last summer. He had a terrible year. I think he's a $4 million player. As good as he is defensively, that should be the limit for him. Key draws and a shutdown role. Stop using him as a crutch - which Julien and Ducharme have. This is the offer. This is the role. If he's not content to make X as a 3c, then buh-bye. I'll roll with Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Evans, and Poehling. Spend Danny's money on trying to land a shooter that can score.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

As I said . My original comment was to a fan that said the most Montreal would get would be a 2nd . I offered the Oilers 1st just to show him that it wasn't the case . Not that I expected Montreal fans to agree . The part you are reading is being taken out of context as I got smart to a Montreal fan that got snippy to me . KK is a fine young player adjusting to a new culture , different ice size and faster bigger players . As for your Puljujarvi comments we are very happy with his play this year . He may not of put up points but he played well .

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Pretty hard to know what we have until he gets the opportunity in the regular season that he gets in the playoffs. There's been a significant regular season double standard when it comes to him and Nick. Nick has had equally long stretches of no production be he never got punished. Never lost his role, or line mates. KK has a bad period in the regular season and he can find himself down the bench. KK gets consistently stuck with Lehkonen and Armia. While the latter is doing well in a sheltered role on a line with Staal and Perry, neither he nor Leks are gonna rack up points. KK needs a FULL year on a line with guys as offensively capable as those Suzuki plays with. When KK gets PP time - even second unit - he shows he can drive scoring chances. He's also the best passer through the box on the team. I don't know if he gets to peak Bergeron or he never becomes more than a Jordan Staal. We won't until he's given an unfettered chance.

The question then becomes how to best facilitate that chance. I think you have to walk away from Danault. Let someone else pay him $6 million a year. He turned down $5 million a year last summer. He had a terrible year. I think he's a $4 million player. As good as he is defensively, that should be the limit for him. Key draws and a shutdown role. Stop using him as a crutch - which Julien and Ducharme have. This is the offer. This is the role. If he's not content to make X as a 3c, then buh-bye. I'll roll with Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Evans, and Poehling. Spend Danny's money on trying to land a shooter that can score.

I'm not a habs fan, but I really like Suzuki so maybe I'm biased with regard to him. From what I've seen, even when Suzuki had poor stretches, he still looked more dynamic and played with pace so I'm not surprised he was given a longer leash.

I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing for KK to play and develop on the third line but I agree that he does need to play with better wingers. He should get more power play time though IMO.

Zahra Starker

Mar 3, 2020
Toronto
I'm not a habs fan, but I really like Suzuki so maybe I'm biased with regard to him. From what I've seen, even when Suzuki had poor stretches, he still looked more dynamic and played with pace so I'm not surprised he was given a longer leash.

I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing for KK to play and develop on the third line but I agree that he does need to play with better wingers. He should get more power play time though IMO.

Actually I watched him play through his poor stretch and he wasn't dynamic at all. He looked so slowwww and couldn't even make a proper pass. I honestly thought he was playing injured for a while.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS

I'd argue that any perception that leads that way comes from the fact Nick knows he can go out there, make mistakes, and it's okay. Can't be said for KK in the regular season. You'd be a lot more timid too.

Watching them nightly, every time KK gets a legit chance with productive linemates and PP time he produces. Simple as that. He spent the bulk of the year with Leks and Armia. In a line that is up the order, that line simply isn't going to cut the mustard. Especially when Drouin, Gallagher, and Tatar are out of the line up for stretches. There were opportunities with a full roster to spread the wealth. There were chances to balance things as best as possible during the injuries and compressed schedule. It simply didn't happen. And it didn't happen the year before.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
30E6B390-E1EA-4E06-BB31-80680C9C9C99.jpeg
What a bust

Reactions: Steeler23

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Where did I say he’s a bust?

I’ve reiterated since the beginning of this thread that Kotkaniemi has been disappointing in his THREE years in the NHL. What about that isn’t true?

How well he’s played in the Playoffs up to this point change nothing. Just like Price isn’t worth his 10.5M cap hit because of how well he’s played these playoffs.
this is a terrible take and i'm tired of correcting it.
had a great first year as youngest guy in the league.
was injured his ENTIRE second year.
and this year was bounced around between line mates and coaches. still growing into his body.
he's 20 for f***s sake - still among 12 youngest in the league

Reactions: alasania94
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad