Value of: Jesperi Kotkaniemi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I would probably offer up a 2nd in the hopes that he can be properly developed. I don't see high end talent in him though.

The team that drafted him projected their needs onto him. He didn't scream #1 C at the time of the draft and doesn't now.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
to early to give up on him . he'll become a middle six center when he fills out more and becomes stronger. very similar to a lars eller. with more confidence and muscle his ceiling is a good 2c with a solid 2 way game . for those who felt the habs window was closing , it'll be opening in two more seasons . kotkaniemi can easily become a big piece of the puzzle .

Reactions: TS Quint

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Troll post. He has been disappointing but he is worth way more than that. Draft year +3, Sedin was also at 30 points, was he worth a 3rd then ? Fans have no patience, this is crazy !
As a Nucks fan I can tell you there was a lot of people shitting on the twins. There was a time around their draft +3ish season of going back to Sweden. At that time their value was a lot less then where they were drafted. I get the comparison it's actually really good. There is no scenario where a trade makes sense because you will never get fair value, better just to hold on to him and hope he beats the odds like they did. But the playoffs aren't for development, he has been bad and they obviously feel there are better options right now.

Black Kevin

I don't work my ass off
Nov 19, 2019
Raleigh
Troll post. He has been disappointing but he is worth way more than that. Draft year +3, Sedin was also at 30 points, was he worth a 3rd then ? Fans have no patience, this is crazy !

I mean yeah, Sedin would've not been worth too much either back then. The odds that Kotka ever turns into a Sedin is close to zero, imo. He has flaws that can't be fixed even by Bowman himself.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
I would hold on to him unless a great offer came through (which ain’t gonna happen).

I personally think Bergevin will try to package Kotkaniemi++ for something better. Dunno, we’ll see...

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
I mean yeah, Sedin would've not been worth too much either back then. The odds that Kotka ever turns into a Sedin is close to zero, imo. He has flaws that can't be fixed even by Bowman himself.
What flaws?
Except the fact coaches keep playing him with offensive blackholes like Lehkhonen and Armia. He's looked really good when playing with talented players. Problem is our GM's head is on the stool, and he needs to show that his acquisition were worth it.
Play the guy with Guys like Tatar, Toffoli, Anderson, Caufield for more than 5 games and we'll have a very good 50-60pts 2 way C in our hands.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
It's too bad Habs didn't let him play in Liga or AHL for a couple years. That ship has sailed.

So my next question is....what is the Habs usage of him?

Is there a way to get him easier matchups? Maybe move him to wing and give him less responsibility.

Reactions: abo9

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa
What flaws?
Except the fact coaches keep playing him with offensive blackholes like Lehkhonen and Armia. He's looked really good when playing with talented players. Problem is our GM's head is on the stool, and he needs to show that his acquisition were worth it.
Play the guy with Guys like Tatar, Toffoli, Anderson, Caufield for more than 5 games and we'll have a very good 50-60pts 2 way C in our hands.
ya if only it were that easy lmao

Reactions: Black Kevin

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016

That's pure speculation at this point.

And what are the flaws? I'm curious

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
he is developing fine enough to get becnhed come playoff time? Sorry but the Habs have not managed him well at all from day 1!
Ducharme doesn’t want to play a run and gun game against the leafs. He’s dressing more experienced , more defensive players. Merrill instead of Romanov, Gallagher is back so no Caufield , and Staal over Kotkaniemi. Also. Kotkaniemi is like z6 months older than Canfield. He’s still just a kid. They can afford to be patient with him. Funny how a little context shoots your statement to hell

Reactions: Steeler23

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
As a Nucks fan I can tell you there was a lot of people shitting on the twins. There was a time around their draft +3ish season of going back to Sweden. At that time their value was a lot less then where they were drafted. I get the comparison it's actually really good. There is no scenario where a trade makes sense because you will never get fair value, better just to hold on to him and hope he beats the odds like they did. But the playoffs aren't for development, he has been bad and they obviously feel there are better options right now.

Yes I know, VAN is my second team hence the comparison. ;) This is my point. Would have been a mistake to trade them then and it would be a mistake to trade KK now. You see he has high hockey IQ when on the ice, he has been very mature defensively for a 20yr old, needs to improve the offensive side of his game for sure, but I still believe he can be a top 6 center. The Habs can have a nice one-two punch between Suzuki and him in 3/4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad