Value of: Jesperi Kotkaniemi

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
This series, win or lose; changes nothing with Kotkaniemi or the Canadians.

Kotkaniemi has still been disappointing in his three seasons in the NHL, with little improvement year over year.

They shouldn’t trade him unless it’s for Seth Jones though.

Nothing else really makes sense.

He’s 20 years old! What player has 3 NHL seasons under his belt at 20 and is labeled a bust??

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
He’s 20 years old! What player has 3 NHL seasons under his belt at 20 and is labeled a bust??
Where did I say he’s a bust?

I’ve reiterated since the beginning of this thread that Kotkaniemi has been disappointing in his THREE years in the NHL. What about that isn’t true?

How well he’s played in the Playoffs up to this point change nothing. Just like Price isn’t worth his 10.5M cap hit because of how well he’s played these playoffs.

the paisanos guy

the hell do i know about cooking a shirt?
Dec 6, 2010

I’ve reiterated since the beginning of this thread that Kotkaniemi has been disappointing in his THREE years in the NHL. What about that isn’t true?

How well he’s played in the Playoffs up to this point change nothing. Just like Price isn’t worth his 10.5M cap hit because of how well he’s played these playoffs.

A young player playing really well in the post-season for the second year in a row changes literally nothing? interesting analysis, you sound unbiased

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
It’s not his fault the Habs drafted him so high and that allows fans to critique him. He should’ve been drafted 12-15 spots later and people would say he was developing well.

Reactions: Be a Hab

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada

WHO EXACTLY IS HE DISAPPOINTING? YOU? Worry about your own 11 million dollar players choking in the playoffs and disappointing you. Kk is NOT disappointing Habs fans.

Reactions: Gravity and Opado

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012

your having a hard time dealing with the situation i can tell . you should take solace in the fact that your over halfway through your 100 year rebuild .

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
WHO EXACTLY IS HE DISAPPOINTING? YOU? Worry about your own 11 million dollar players choking in the playoffs and disappointing you. Kk is NOT disappointing Habs fans.

He’s been disappointing as a third overall pick since the moment he was drafted.

His biggest issue has been his consistently issues; it’s been a problem of his since his season in the Liiga. He has struggled to prouduce game in and out, he has had hot stretches where he looks like a NHLer (like we’re seeing right now), but he has always then reverts back to going scoreless in 20 games. Reminds me of Galchenyuk in this regard.

The other issue with Kotkaniemi is his skating; he has an awkward stride that makes him look like Bambi out there on the ice; Because of his stride, he uses a lot more energy than his peers and is fatigued quicker than anyone else on the ice.

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
He’s been disappointing as a third overall pick since the moment he was drafted.

His biggest issue has been his consistently issues; it’s been a problem of his since his season in the Liiga. He has struggled to prouduce game in and out, he has had hot stretches where he looks like a NHLer (like we’re seeing right now), but he has always then reverts back to going scoreless in 20 games. Reminds me of Galchenyuk in this regard.

The other issue with Kotkaniemi is his skating; he has an awkward stride that makes him look like Bambi out there on the ice; Because of his stride, he uses a lot more energy than his peers and is fatigued quicker than anyone else on the ice.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019

First point is wrong, he has been a disappointment to non MTL fans and people who don't consider some players (esp. European ones) need 4/5 years post draft to play a huge role in the NHL (see the Sedins, or were they a disappointment after D+4 ?). He was rushed in the NHL but he is learning.

Second point is very wrong, he is the opposite of Galchenyuk : KK is a lot more defensive, takes a lot less chances if he feels it may generate danger in his own zone. Galchenyuk scored 20 goals in his D+3 and 30 in D+4 in regular season, I don't think he was kept off the score sheet in nearly as many games as KK but he was responsible for many more goals on the other side (the play in Game 5 this year is the typical play showing why he was traded)

Your third point however is correct. I am not sure it is because the way he skates, or because he has had to take weigth quite quickly since arriving in the NHL, or because he needs to work on his stamina overall but he seems to be tired quicker than any other player. As far as this season goes, it may also be due to the fact that he started in the Finish Liiga before the NHL which added to the initial burden.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal

he wasn't disappointing in his first year, was injured in second (entire season) and played in a crazy, covid condensed schedule as a 20 year old. habs played 25 games in 44 days.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada

Time will tell. Still not a disappointment.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
On what earth is Kassian @ 50% worth a 2nd rd pick lol.

Benson can't skate even if his life depended on it.

And Byron can still be a decent NHL player, overpaid, but decent, Neal is just trash

Terrible offer.
There is a lot of talk among insiders about Kassian having a lot of interest. Get with the times.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
i have seen around 20 (and probably ingnored many more) trade proposal or value threads including kotkaniemi started by montreal fans. what's the rational behind wanting to get rid of perfectly fine young top 3 pick, who is developing in a top 6 center with size and two way game?

Reactions: Kmombo

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
i have seen around 20 (and probably ingnored many more) trade proposal or value threads including kotkaniemi started by montreal fans. what's the rational behind wanting to get rid of perfectly fine young top 3 pick, who is developing in a top 6 center with size and two way game?

Some Habs fans are like some TOR and some other teams' fans and have no patience for development, they expect any top 5 pick to score 50 points in their D+1, 70 in their D+2... Can't blame you for asking though.

The main problem is that most fans have no idea what a sunk cost is : MTL spent 3OA for him, it is in the past, even if he does not match expectations for a 3OA for some people, it does not mean he should be traded at a discount because he was 3OA.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012

The only kotkaniemi trade proposal Ive seen from habs fans was to get a superior player like Dubois, Laine, Eichel, etc.

There has been 0 talks from habs fans about wanting to get rid of kotkaniemi or trading him for pennies on the dollar.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Must be a Leafs fan. Where post-season performance apparently doesn't matter. ;)

At least Matthews won the rocket richard trophy! That’ll show ya!!

What would you add to KK to get Sam Reinhart?

1) You got this all wrong

2) Reinhart being right handed kills all the interest I may have for him. He’s an excellent player but we’ve got too many RH shot players as is on the team

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I think we're best being patient with this guy. He will continue to fill out and become more and more effective imo.

Unless it's in a package for a PLD/Eichel/maybe Reinhart, no need to move him.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I don’t understand why they’d trade Kotka+ right now for either PLD or Reinhart

Reactions: Gravity

justHypnos

May 4, 2011
Montreal
disregarding age and just going with 3 NHL seasons by their draft +3,

Yakupov
Puljujarvi
Patrick (he missed a year to migraines, but he shouldn't get a pass for it)
Larsson
Schenn
Bailey

some of these players did end up improving a bit after, only Bailey ended up reaching anywhere near his potential and it wasn't until he was, like, 27.

this is not anywhere near as uncommon as some people seem to think. and then there's Kakko and Hughes, both at risk of joining next year if they have unproductive seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad