Prospect Info: Jesperi Kotkaniemi Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We shouldn't make recommendations based on assuming the club won't be disciplined. I want GMMB gone but the fact he is here should not mean changing every decision that should be made.

If he has a good camp and the club feels Kotka can reach 0.5 ppg at the AHL, he should play in Laval this year, all year. The only way he should get called up is if he is well over 1.0ppg over 50-60 games AND the big club has a good chance to make the playoffs and make some noise.

I don't think either of those conditions will happen. Let him play the year in Laval, stop playing for his Daddy, learn the NA game, get stronger on the puck, learn to be a pro, and next year give him a pchance to make the club in the top-9. If not ready next Septmeber, another few months in Laval won't hurt.

The AHL is the prime development league for the NHL and we have a new coaching staff there that seems to understand their role. Let's not be afraid to use the farm club properly.

With me, I can live with either Finland or Laval. I do think he needs to fill in a bit and he might get hurt in Laval as it's a more physical league. If it was me, I let him play center all year in Finland and then see where we stand next year. I prefer Finland for one year and at least a half of year in Laval.... unless he impresses more than expectations

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Wherever Kotkaniemi plays, I want him to play a lot. If he makes the NHL roster in such a capacity, so be it. But if he's there to play 10 minutes per night, no power play, stuffed onto the wing because of ''muh defensive responsibilities'' I would be very displeased.

He has a long way to go to be effective on the PP IMO. I saw him struggle a few times last night. I know his learning curve is steep and he is adapting so lets see how he looks after he plays a few regular season games cause I'm sure they will give him a taste of it.

I see a lot of potential but I also see a lot of room to grow and he needs to get stronger. I rather not put him in a situation where he gets a rib or shoulder injury cause he is playing against guys who are not only men but they know how to bang you against the boards with their big bodies. I think he is familiar with Finland so I think he should go back for one more year and improve from what he did last year.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Again. I don't see the point.
I love how we are discussing this kid playing in Montreal after one good pre-season game versus essentially an AHL team full with kids who'll never play in the NHL..

Whether it would be ''great'' for all parties is a bit irrelevant. What's important is what's best. Is having Kotka here this year really the best thing for him? I really do not know how anybody can argue that at this point.

We don't agree often but on this we do. If it was up to me, I tone down the expectation pressure dial and send him back to Finland for one more year. We need patience and having him in Laval is not terrible but I fear an injury cause he clearly needs to fill in a bit. Let him go back to Finland and improve on what he did last year.

Reactions: CHwest

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If he goes to the AHL, i hope we have a goon that can take the abuse of the AHL roster and protect our rookies.

AHL teams have a lot of goons, sadly..

This is my fear with Laval. Imagine how his development goes if he gets a shoulder injury in the 1st month and it is a nagging injury all year. You are correct, the AHL is full of guys who are looking to punish and finish their checks. I rather he fills in a bit before we throw him in the NA game. Let him play center in a league he knows while he can work on adding some muscle.

I choose patience

Reactions: DAChampion

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Pretty amazing to think he turned 18 2 months ago..

His game is already very mature, just weight until his body catches up with his hockey mind.

He's a player for sure.

Once he fills in, He is going to be very effective. Look at how good Poehling got after his draft year once he added some muscle.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
The most common outcome for hockey players his age is to be in the CHL. So let's keep things straight, if he is a first line center in the men's league that is the FEL, he is doing great.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I just knew people would overreact after his first good game.

He is barely 18 yeard old and I've seen way too many good talent wasted by playing early in Montreal. He needs to play far away from the montreal circus. He needs a clear training plan with direction but there is no way he should stay in North America. I want the 20 years old center to start in Montreal.

One more year in finland, another year in Laval and then Montreal.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

He is barely 18 yeard old and I've seen way too many good talent wasted by playing early in Montreal. He needs to play far away from the montreal Montreal. He needs a clear training plan with direction but there is no way he should stay in North America. I want the 20 years old center to start in Montreal.

100%.. You see it like I do. We are stupid if we rush him.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
100%.. You see it like I do. We are stupid if we rush him.
I don't think anyone has advocated for rushing him...

As is with all players, his play will determine where he should play this year...let's see how he handles himself the rest of the preseason, as the intensity rises with lineups getting better and better.

We'll see how he responds physically...if he shows he can hold up, then I think it might be worth it to have him in Laval, as long as they have a clearly defined plan not to recall him even if he's tearing it up.

The most important thing for Kotkaniemi moving forward is for him to be challenged, no matter if he's in Finland or in Laval.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
One of the Nylander boys was a high pick by Buffalo a few years ago and he came straight to NA and played in Rochester as a teenager and he struggled big time. Andrei Kostitsyn was another teen ager who played in the AHL and also struggled.
I would not be against Kotkaniemi playing one more year in Finland.

He showed a lot of promise last night for sure but he is barely 18.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

He is barely 18 yeard old and I've seen way too many good talent wasted by playing early in Montreal. He needs to play far away from the montreal circus. He needs a clear training plan with direction but there is no way he should stay in North America. I want the 20 years old center to start in Montreal.

Spot on

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
what's also great was how well he played while being so physically immature still. That's an amazing sign. When he fills out and refines his skating, he'll be an absolute nightmare to play against. There's just so much room to improve.

Reactions: jaffy27

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't think anyone has advocated for rushing him...

As is with all players, his play will determine where he should play this year...let's see how he handles himself the rest of the preseason, as the intensity rises with lineups getting better and better.

We'll see how he responds physically...if he shows he can hold up, then I think it might be worth it to have him in Laval, as long as they have a clearly defined plan not to recall him even if he's tearing it up.

The most important thing for Kotkaniemi moving forward is for him to be challenged, no matter if he's in Finland or in Laval.

Interpretation... Rushing for me would be...
- He starts the year with the Habs and plays past 10 games
- He starts the year in Laval and we call him as soon as he has a month or two of good stats.

Finland is the safe move. He plays in a familiar league and at center for the first time. He gets to work at improving last years stats and gains more confidence. He also gets to work on adding a few pounds of muscle. Like I said, I'm not against Laval but I do see some concerns. I rather have him play in the AHL once he fills in a bit. I fear a rib or shoulder injury... I think this would be terrible for his development and it's a very good possibility in the AHL which is very physical. Way more than the larger rink with men in Finland.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Pezzetta.

Pezzetta is a rookie. He doesnt have to answer the bell against 30 years old goons around the AHL.

It would be unfair for Pezzetta, a 20 yesr old, to be the protector of an AHL team.

I wish Broll was still there to protect our young guys. AHL is a jungle.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Interpretation... Rushing for me would be...
- He starts the year with the Habs and plays past 10 games
- He starts the year in Laval and we call him as soon as he has a month or two of good stats.

Finland is the safe move. He plays in a familiar league and at center for the first time. He gets to work at improving last years stats and gains more confidence. He also gets to work on adding a few pounds of muscle. Like I said, I'm not against Laval but I do see some concerns. I rather have him play in the AHL once he fills in a bit. I fear a rib or shoulder injury... I think this would be terrible for his development and it's a very good possibility in the AHL which is very physical. Way more than the larger rink with men in Finland.
Safe isn't always good...

Clearly, one of the biggest hurdles for Kotkaniemi has been his his acclimatization to the North American game...the further he plays away from North America this year, the more difficult his adaptation will be moving forward.

That's something that needs to be taken into consideration.

I get the reflex to shelter him, but he also needs to be challenged and exposed to new things. That's not to say that he can't learn anything playing in Assat this year, i'm sure he can, but bad habits, like the one's we've seen early on from him this year can also set in if he plays another year over there.

There are pros and cons for both Laval/Finland...really the only way to determine which is best, is to let things play out over the preseason, his game will show where he should be playing.

Right now, based on what i'm seeing, i'm leaning more towards Laval.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Safe isn't always good...

Clearly, one of the biggest hurdles for Kotkaniemi has been his his acclimatization to the North American game...the further he plays away from North America this year, the more difficult his adaptation will be moving forward.
I clearly respect your opinion and all but that is bullshit. Many top players have come straight from Finland to North America without any complication. Another year in Finland is not a negative thing at all and it's not about protecting him, it's about development. Laval is not a bad development league but there is way more travelling and many youngster are overwhelmed and stall there. Nylander is a good example. He will be challenged in Finland no worries about that. It's better to see him play and improve far away then to play him in North America because apparently "he has to get used to play in North America".

Last edited:

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Pezzetta is a rookie. He doesnt have to answer the bell against 30 years old goons around the AHL.

It would be unfair for Pezzetta, a 20 yesr old, to be the protector of an AHL team.

Again this whole goon thing is pretty useless, to be somewhat effective that goon should play on the same line as Kotka!

Do you want Kotka to play with goons?

Reactions: Prairie Habs

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014

We have a goon, picked as a 1st rounder to Protect our AHL roster.

His name? Jared McCarron

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I clearly respect your opinion and all but that is bull****. Many top players have come straight from Finland to North America without any complication. Another year in Finland is not a negative thing at all and it's not about protecting him, it's about development. Laval is not a bad development league but there is way more travelling and many youngster are overwhelmed and stall there. Nylander is a good example. He will be challenged in Finland no worries about that. It's better to see him play and improve far away then to play him in North America because apparently "he has to get used to play in North America".
I never said it was a negative thing, in fact, I made sure to point out that there are pros and cons to both situations.

I just personally would rather he plays in Laval, but I have no issues with him going back to Finland.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I never said it was a negative thing, in fact, I made sure to point out that there are pros and cons to both situations.

I just personally would rather he plays in Laval, but I have no issues with him going back to Finland.
Look at Puljujarvi, he should have stayed one more year in Finland before making the jump in North America.

Sebastian Aho definately benefited from dominating in Finland before joining the Hurricanes.

Teravainen also took proper time to develop.

We have to be careful with the kid and make sure he dominate at one level before making the step to the next level. It's all about progression.

Cases like Laine and Barkov are different because when they played in North America they already showed that they were above the level in Finland.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Pretty amazing to think he turned 18 2 months ago..

His game is already very mature, just weight until his body catches up with his hockey mind.

He's a player for sure.

This was pretty much it. I know a few mentioned it during the summer during the showcase, but despite some physical and technical deficiencies/limitations, you can see the mind was there. I'm confident he'll put it all together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad