Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Part 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
That doesnt really have to do with KK playing well.
Hes getting the same 13-14 min he was getting in the reg season, and his linemates were the same from the regular season (Byron and Lehkonen) the first few games.

Hes just playing much better. Its with performance like these that will earn him the coaching trust, and eventually get a bigger role.
Thats how Suzuki went from 4th line winger to 1C.
It's not necessarily the ice time...he's finally got a role on the team, he's being counted on to contribute, not just "not make mistakes".

You're seeing an engaged player because he's being challenged by the coaching staff.

Before being sent down to Laval he was a bit player on the team. Not consequential to winning or losing.

Not the same situation now...

That being said, it's obvious the time off has done him wonders. That's also a big part of it

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
I remember when I said I was hoping for a Sundin when he was drafted, I got laughed at. I still am hoping he tops out at a Sundin level. I love his enthusiasm, and enthusiasm is infectious, I hope it spreads.

Reactions: cphabs

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
I remember when I said I was hoping for a Sundin when he was drafted, I got laughed at. I still am hoping he tops out at a Sundin level. I love his enthusiasm, and enthusiasm is infectious, I hope it spreads.
I see a lot of Sundin him. Fantastic if you ask me!

Reactions: 26Mats

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
It's not necessarily the ice time...he's finally got a role on the team, he's being counted on to contribute, not just "not make mistakes".

You're seeing an engaged player because he's being challenged by the coaching staff.

Before being sent down to Laval he was a bit player on the team. Not consequential to winning or losing.

Not the same situation now...

That being said, it's obvious the time off has done him wonders. That's also a big part of it

Hes always been counted to contribute (hes playing in the top 9 for a reason). I highly doubt the coaching staff ever told him to not worry about contributing, and to just focus on not doing any mistake. If he was playing like that before, its because he was low on confidence.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
He's a beauty, just turned 20 and will be an important part of this team for years to come.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Hes always been counted to contribute (hes playing in the top 9 for a reason). I highly doubt the coaching staff ever told him to not worry about contributing, and to just focus on not doing any mistake. If he was playing like that before, its because he was low on confidence.
I never suggested the coaching staff explicitly told him not to contribute...you're taking that too literally.

I was just saying ..while his TOI hasn't changed much, his role has.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Well hopefully that puts an end to the 'maybe he can be a 2nd line C by the grace of the god' talk lol.

I mean anything can happen. We've had guys look great only to bust. But what was frustrating is the people that couldn't even see the upside. Like they completely forgot about his rookie season. It's clear the skill was there.

Even before this game what was so impressive was the other dimensions he was bringing. The physicality, the net presence, dirty goals, zone entries, board work, etc. But then some people seemed to forget the rookie year as one of the younger players ever who NO ONE thought would be in the NHL at that age where he flashed plenty of skill.

I still think our opposition so far these playoffs have been kind of weak for whatever reason but man when/if this kid puts it all together he's going to be a freaking handful. Even without high end offensive production this kid can be such a strong player for us. And high end offense doesn't look out of the question at this point.

It's crazy for how skilled and effective Suzuki's been for the most part that it's not obvious to me who will end up being better. Suzuki literally just turned 21 and KK's about a month into 20 and both are looking dynamite in the playoffs. It's a wonky playoffs but I don't think it's 'this is not real hockey' levels of wonky.

Star or not, he brings so bloody much of what we need on this roster.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Given the Covid-19 outbreak, Kotkaniemi might be better off playing next season in Finland. There's a lot of variables so it's hard to be sure, but it might be the most sensible choice. That would be quite the reversal from expectations lol.
Ageed. The Finnish league is probably better than the ECHL.

With all the talent coming into Laval next year, I would hate to see a 3rd overall pick playing in Wheeler or some place like that.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
There are more.

Many people stating he can barely keep up with the NHL and we need to trade him before we have another bust.

But I am also talking about outside this board.

there was plenty of people crapping in their pants after his poor first half. And hey fair enough. we've been burned plenty but they can't back track now and say they didn't. plenty did. going on about Tkachuk all the time. Tkachuk can still be better. Hughes can be better but I just love what this kid is bringing. We're desperate for size and skill up front. Throw in all the little things he's doing and I'm doing back flips over him right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad