Confirmed with Link: Travis Green named new head coach

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
Anyone know the type of X’s and O’s systems that Green employs?

Thats most important to me
Very likely some derivation of this... Happy to help! :)

1715209030979.png

• Haha
Reactions: DJB

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Zero faith in this coach, even if he gave a good press conference today

Mike Babcock said all the right things in Columbus too

Not insinuating that Green and Babcock are similar but coach's will always say the right things in their introductory days

The only slight (very slight) bit of hope I have is that a handful of guys have been way better at their second gig

Peter Deboer, Bruce Cassidy, Mike Sullivan to name some and they are 3 of the best in the business today

Will see I guess but Green has a lot to prove before he wins most of the fans over, I actually don't envy the guy
Babcock is a strange one to put out there though. That's a one off scenario.

He didn't even fail, he's just a gigantic jackass that can't stop himself from being himself.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
Babcock is a strange one to put out there though. That's a one off scenario.

He didn't even fail, he's just a gigantic jackass that can't stop himself from being himself.
Yeah for sure its just that Sens fans on social media seem to get way to giddy based on a press conference

I am just not a fan of this hire and Green will really have to do some convincing

McDuffz88

HIRE BERUBE!!!
Sep 18, 2019
Looks like one of the reasons they hired him is because he can be an ass but in a fair way.

I'm all for that. This group has been spoiled too long.
NJ fan here coming in peace. Green was the complete opposite of being fair. A few players got special treatment that no matter what they did wrong, nothing would ever change out of it. He even openly said in an interview that for some players, no matter how many mistakes they make, the minutes or usage won't be changed. Then you had other players who would make 1 mistake and get minutes reduced or benched immediately. There was a period of time when Luke Hughes played like utter trash & Nemec was playing like a true top pairing defender not making a single mistake. We were losing games so to shake things up he decided to bench Nemec for literally no reason. Meanwhile Luke was having a horrible stretch of hockey & he was the one worthy of being benched. Only reason why Nemec got benched in this scenario was because his last name wasn't Hughes. It had nothing to do with his play.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Zero faith in this coach, even if he gave a good press conference today

Mike Babcock said all the right things in Columbus too

Not insinuating that Green and Babcock are similar but coach's will always say the right things in their introductory days

The only slight (very slight) bit of hope I have is that a handful of guys have been way better at their second gig

Peter Deboer, Bruce Cassidy, Mike Sullivan to name some and they are 3 of the best in the business today

Will see I guess but Green has a lot to prove before he wins most of the fans over, I actually don't envy the guy
I'd like to see the intro presser of any head coach that wasn't good.

Every coach basically says the same things "we need to work hard, we have to be accountable, we have to take care of the details, we have to win puck battles, blah blah blah". I've never coached hockey at any level and I bet I could give a convincing press conference.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Well a day after the hire and i still hate it.

Hope i am proven wrong, but i am not optomistic.

Is it a problem where every time i see his face, anger starts growing inside me?

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Babcock's issue was that, on top of saying all the right things, he also kept saying "hey lemme see your phone"
Lol, yup. He only has one person to blame for not being in the league right now, and that's himself.
Yeah for sure its just that Sens fans on social media seem to get way to giddy based on a press conference

I am just not a fan of this hire and Green will really have to do some convincing
For sure, I was kind of joking too, just thought that was funny the way it was phrased.

Oscar The Grouch

Oct 16, 2021
NJ fan here coming in peace. Green was the complete opposite of being fair. A few players got special treatment that no matter what they did wrong, nothing would ever change out of it. He even openly said in an interview that for some players, no matter how many mistakes they make, the minutes or usage won't be changed. Then you had other players who would make 1 mistake and get minutes reduced or benched immediately. There was a period of time when Luke Hughes played like utter trash & Nemec was playing like a true top pairing defender not making a single mistake. We were losing games so to shake things up he decided to bench Nemec for literally no reason. Meanwhile Luke was having a horrible stretch of hockey & he was the one worthy of being benched. Only reason why Nemec got benched in this scenario was because his last name wasn't Hughes. It had nothing to do with his play.

Almost every fanbase in the league makes the same gripes about their coach:

1) Favouring useless vets over promising young players.
2) Having pets on the team who get endless second chances vs guys who get no leash.
3) Not letting offensive players be creative or not having any structure.

McDuffz88

HIRE BERUBE!!!
Sep 18, 2019
Almost every fanbase in the league makes the same gripes about their coach:

1) Favouring useless vets over promising young players.
2) Having pets on the team who get endless second chances vs guys who get no leash.
3) Not letting offensive players be creative or not having any structure.
Usually I don't complain about these things but with Green it was absolutely true. He literally did an interview saying he favors certain players. Spoke straight from the horse's mouth. As far from what I saw he didn't play favorites with Vets, just certain players were held to a different standard. As a fan, I'm just trying to figure out if that was a Green thing or a management thing (going to the GM). I guess we'll find out this season. All I know is I'm not exaggerating at all. There was a few week stretch where Luke was turning the puck over any time he touched it, no joke just passing to the other team. Green kept him on PP1 when Luke was causing massive problems. We couldn't score on our PP at all. He was causing us to lose games. Nemec on the other hand was playing unbelievably good but because we kept losing & Green couldn't sit Luke because his last name was Hughes, Nemec was the odd man out. Look on our board when it was announced he was scratched. Our whole board was freaking out.

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
Oh no, French media is trying to push learning French on players/coaches now.

If Habs management can survive a significant lack of Franćais language skills, perhaps the Sens can.

Of course it was vitally important to ensure the new coach speaks fluent moron, to satisfy certain other fan bases.

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
It’s the reason he was viewed as a shitty coach in Vancouver. He was hard on the players and they were too immature to buy in.

He was hard on Pettersson and Hughes and they were being prima donna’s, according to the Canucks beat writers.

Now that they are in their mid 20’s and mature they are ready to be coached and are buying into that kind of a coach in Tocchet.

Our core are not kids anymore, it’s time that they buy in and get whipped into shape. Green will take each player to the woodshed if need be, and he will go to bat for them. Work hard and play hard and you’ll be rewarded. Play like Chabot or others have been and you’ll be stapled to the bench.
In his defense I think Chabot was much improved last year over the previous, and later in this season than earlier. I'm not saying there weren't gaffs, some serious, but those were nowhere near as frequent. He demonstrated some improved skating and puck handling such as moving puck across the blue-line. No improvement point shots wise, yet. My concern was he was more often injured, out lots. Guess we'll see how his wrist surgery went. Hope to see see him return to early career form and promise under a new head coach and especially a new D coach.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Got a tip today Green, Poulin and Tsaois are taking the ice this year:

Tkachuk - Pinto - Batherson
Poulin - Stutzle - Giroux
Grieg - Norris - Joseph
Kelly - Green - Boko

Sanderson - Staois
Chabot - Zub
Chychryn - JBD

• Haha
Reactions: Relapsing

senswon

Quo Tendimus
Aug 1, 2007
Kingstone
I hope the team is willing to drop some egos and receive the tough love message.
Memories of our team tuning out Paulus the year he got tough on the players.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
So Friedman sez Green's best attribute = "he can be a prick". Is this the accountability we need? Hopefully, idk, since he seems to have his pet players = unfair?! :p

My concern: how will he improve our special teams & structure? Our PP last year was sloppy.. (and now he's asking Alfie back as A/coach..tho PP was partly Alfie's fault). Will Green think outside box 📦..mebbe using F on PP points, etc

Hopefully the rumors of his simple dump-and-chase attack..are incorrect. 😱 Stu

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Bugs me. That Gerard Gallant was never seriously considered. 😐 apparently.

Great coach imo. Winning record. No bs 💩

But all I heard was how Berube was too $$$, and that our team was NOT "playoff ready".
So we hired a babysitter, on a budget. Hodor 💯 %

Reactions: DylanSensFan

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
I dont think you understand the definition of nepotism. Those people in hockey ops got there based on their own abilities. They played those NHL games because of their abilities. They got their jobs in management because of the experiences they have had and the success that built them up to the point they are at. Green has had lots of success prior to getting his NHL shot at jr and in the AHL. Thats not nepotism.

This ownership and management group has nothing to do with the fallacies of the previous inept regime.

I also think its pretty wild to expect a new coach to have his team playing his way in less than a month. We are all entitled to our own expectations but thats simply not enough time.

You find it hard to believe Green was the best candidate why wouldnt they have picked him of they thought that?... That defies logic. They interviewed all the candidates you didnt. You may have a different mind set of what you think this team needs but they have way more information than you do. An unquantifiable amount of experience in hockey than anyone that posts here have had.
I understand the definition of nepotism perfectly. Staios got his job because he worked with Andlauer previously. Granted he has experience, but it isn't all about experience.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Im still pretty sour on the signing but if he bagskates these peonies when they f*** up and actually hold them accountable (like the talking heads say) then I may have to start liking him
Bag skates are the most over hyped thing. That’s not coaching, that’s admitting you are out of ideas.

If he rolls out the same 2 f***ing turds on opening night, I might just lose my mind. Guaranteed failure imo. We've seen enough.
I’m sure he will do everything possible to upgrade the goaltending but Dorion left him a steaming turd.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Bugs me. That Gerard Gallant was never seriously considered. 😐 apparently.

Great coach imo. Winning record. No bs 💩

But all I heard was how Berube was too $$$, and that our team was NOT "playoff ready".
So we hired a babysitter, on a budget. Hodor 💯 %

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad