Tribute Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Goodbye and Good Luck part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
By some people he couldn't...he HAD to be a centerman....

Personnally, I would not have had a single problem with going with him on the wings. Maybe even alongside Nick. You still acquire Dvorak and give a 1st round pick either 2022 or 2023, top 10 protected 2022, or unprotected 2023. And you have a much better team.

Whether we think Canes only did that or not to avenge the Aho deal, they still decided to go with talent first. And then we will fit you somewhere. In Montreal, we HAD to pick him 'cause he was a centerman that wasn't playing Centerman. We HAD to start him at 18 'cause we had nothing else. And we HAD to force him to be a C during all those years 'cause we can't pick a real C in 18 years.

Some teams DO. Some others HAVE TO.

2 goals, 2 assists for JK tonight.
The board will crash if KK puts up 4 points in his debut

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
He was tried as a winger, and he was awful. He doesn't have the skillset for it. This board was up in arms when it happened as well.

How many games? And with who as a centerman? He doesn't have the skillset? He has one of the hardest shot in the league. While he's not the strongest, he has the stick to protect the puck. What right now he mostly doesn't have is the defensive acumen. But you need less of that on the wings.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Kotkaniemi's contract was an offer sheet...it's not the same situation.

The 6.1M is not supposed to be reflective of his current value, it's intentionally high to force the team that owned his rights, in this case the Montreal Canadiens, into a tough position.

Think of that 6.1M as the cost to acquire his rights.

It’s amazing how many people don’t understand this, including people I’ve listened to on podcasts when the offer sheet came out. His contract is an obvious outlier.

Of course he’s not worth $6.1 million, but they weren’t getting him if they gave him a reasonable contract.

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
How many games? And with who as a centerman? He doesn't have the skillset? He has one of the hardest shot in the league. While he's not the strongest, he has the stick to protect the puck. What right now he mostly doesn't have is the defensive acumen. But you need less of that on the wings.

He's slow. He gets knocked off the puck and can't win board battles. His shot is hard but it takes forever for him to release it. He's not a winger.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It’s amazing how many people don’t understand this, including people I’ve listened to on podcasts when the offer sheet came out. His contract is an obvious outlier.

Of course he’s not worth $6.1 million, but they weren’t getting him if they gave him a reasonable contract.
Seems to be a pretty fundamental pillar of an offer sheet if you ask me lol

The idea behind an offer sheet IS TO overpay lol

Reactions: Redux91

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012

It’s a one year contract. Carolina paid an extra 3 million for ONE year. They will sign him to a reasonable contract after this season and actually develop him.

Reactions: 417 and CHfan1

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
It’s a one year contract. Carolina paid an extra 3 million for ONE year. They will sign him to a reasonable contract after this season and actually develop him.

I agree and that’s missed too. Too many compare his contract to long term 6-8 year deals just because the AAV may be close to the same.

Reactions: cphabs

Habano

Allez les Bleus, (Blancs, Rouges)
May 18, 2012

Personnally, I would not have had a single problem with going with him on the wings. Maybe even alongside Nick. You still acquire Dvorak and give a 1st round pick either 2022 or 2023, top 10 protected 2022, or unprotected 2023. And you have a much better team.

Whether we think Canes only did that or not to avenge the Aho deal, they still decided to go with talent first. And then we will fit you somewhere. In Montreal, we HAD to pick him 'cause he was a centerman that wasn't playing Centerman. We HAD to start him at 18 'cause we had nothing else. And we HAD to force him to be a C during all those years 'cause we can't pick a real C in 18 years.

From your mouth to God's ears! Hab's board will crash :laugh:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
You let me down bro. Was thinking 2+2 tonight. A big zero and around 12 minutes of play. BUt he had at least 2 shots on goal.

Hacketts

Jul 12, 2018

And now the reality.

0 points
12:18 toi

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Wanna bet he wins a Stanley Cup on his new team? The odds are on my side of the argument.

Loop25

Jul 4, 2007
I am glad we let him go. With this year's presumable 'performance' (based on two games, I know) we wouldn't get out of him much and that 6mln question would poison the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00