Post-Game Talk: Jersey Sore | Jets lose 3-2 in SO

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Burmi reminds me a lot of former Manitoba Moose Alexander Korolyuk, good speed, slick stick handler, good on the back check but that's it.

Tdoe42

Jun 7, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I have GameCenter so I Re-watched his Shifts

Shift #1 - 1:35 / 18:25 3:02 / 16:58 01:27
17:40... Weak play along the boards doesn't get the puck out
17:34... Bad pass from behind the net resulting in a Scoring chance
17:16... Gets the puck in the zone then throws the puck across the zone to No one and it goes out to center ice

Shift #2 - 4:34 / 15:26 5:04 / 14:56 00:30
15:10... Puck battle along the wall Rather then engaging just lest them skate thee puck out with no pressure

Shift #3 - 7:09 / 12:51 8:10 / 11:50 01:01
12:27... Doesn't get the puck in deep puts it into the Devils bench

Shift #4 - 10:48 / 9:12 11:16 / 8:44 00:28
9:00... Turnover in the corner Devils clear the zone

Shift #5 - 12:36 / 7:24 14:28 / 5:32 01:52 *Icing on the play
7:11... Loses puck battle along the wall
6:09... After an icing skates by the Bench doesn't change after being on the ice for 1:15
5:56... Slater causes a turnover at center ice and Burmi strips the puck from him and causes a turnover of his own

Shift #6 - 16:17 / 3:43 17:21 / 2:39 01:04
3:26... Puck off a skate in the offensive zone even though he is closest to the puck looses the race to get it
2:52... Kane chips the puck behind the net along the boards and Burmi looks at it and Devils player shields him from the puck bumps him super lightly he toe picks falls and ends up in the corner

Shift #7 - 18:16 / 1:44 19:52 / 0:08 01:36 *PK
Pinned in there own zone for 1:36 but they didn't score so it was a good PK in my books

Shift #8 - 11:11 / 8:49 12:35 / 7:25 01:24
*(Playing LW with Slater at C)
8:11... Has his back to the puck carrier at center ice allowing Lokotinov to exploit the gap and gain the zone easily

In conclusion I didn't see the regular stuff from Burmi that makes him effective a lot of floating and just weak play along the boards overall just a bad game and IMO he deserved the benching that was some bad hockey

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
Pretty simple answer, Burmi has played like crap the last ten games. He turns the puck over every time it touches his stick and is NOT any kind of offensive threat.

Kane actually had a good game (10 shots) playing with Joki and Mittens who both had better games tonight. Don't know what game some of you were watching who thought Burmi was playing well.

Tonight it felt to me that the players who really wanted to play played.

People give Jokinen a hard time but i never get the impression from him that he isn't working hard for the team. This is also what I have liked about Wright and Mittens (although he hasn't been back long enough to judge this years play).

Che vy Teemuchuk

May 31, 2011
John Labatt Centre
I couldn't disagree more. It's not as if the Jets are over-passing in the offensive zone - they are NEVER SET UP in the offensive zone. Our powerplay is as ugly and scrambly as an NHL PP can possibly be. I think we need some creativity in zone entry, then actually string together 3 or 4 crisp passes to get the PK on its heals. THEN you shoot the puck. Shooting when you're not set up properly usually leads to an easy save and a dump out of zone.

I think all of hockey is overly cliched - for example, everyone says "we just need to simplify". What is simpler than the Jets dump and chase powerplay? Maybe we need add some COMPLEXITY in zone entry that may actually confuse the PK? Maybe we should set-up the powerplay from the half-boards instead of looking to feed the point ALL THE TIME like 90% of NHL teams do these days. The reason? Your most gifted players are usually your forwards, so let them handle the puck. You don't need to be Crosby to have the vision to make a cross-crease pass or to setup a one timer in the slot. Moderately good forwards can do it too ... but the powerplay needs to be set-up to do it. Jets NEVER play from the half boards ... we're in pure cycle mode even on the PP it seems

This.

Jokinen has been pretty brutal in his puck handling on the PP. But he at least tries to move it around into the down low areas and do a skate thru every now and then. But he just can't seem to handle the puck. Like, at all. We need someone to be a half-boards QB.

jimsabo21

Jul 2, 2011
While I agree that the zone entry is junk, they spend a whole crap load of time trying to get a clean point shot. I agree that they need to switch is up, because that set up is just to easy to defend against.

I think we're on the same page. Our entire PP is so quick to pass back to the point that the PK is well coached to defend it. If a winger from the half boards went cross ice every-so-often, it would force the high men on the PK to collapse a little. Also, a pass to the mid/high slot for a one-time would also tighten the PK box. As of now, the opposing teams simply cover our points, and WE STILL TRY to force it back there.

I'm not being facetious here, but have any Jets forward even attempted a one-time shot this year on a powerplay from a clean set-up? I mean, from face-off dot to face-off dot (for example)?

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

People give Jokinen a hard time but i never get the impression from him that he isn't working hard for the team. This is also what I have liked about Wright and Mittens (although he hasn't been back long enough to judge this years play).

I'm hard on Jokinen, but I'll never say he doesn't work hard, he rarely turns over the puck, actually thought he had a better game than he has had in awhile tonight.

JustGivingEr

How far we done fell
Aug 17, 2009
Hamsterdam

Unfortunately Jokinen wasn't brought in to be a grinder who works hard every night. We need him to produce offensively and right now he has 7 points in 25 games and is a -11.

Conflicted Habs fan

"Beauty will save the world" - Dostoyevsky
Sponsor
Nov 23, 2011
Montreal
After the 1st period the Jets should have been down 5 to 1. Pavelec is a great goalie, if it werent for him, the Jets would be in last place. Lucky to walk away with a point!

GoldenJet89

Feb 4, 2012
Unfortunately Jokinen wasn't brought in to be a grinder who works hard every night. We need him to produce offensively and right now he has 7 points in 25 games and is a -11.

Bingo. If we were paying Jokinen to be a third line forward (aka half his current salary) I would probably be in love with how hes playing. But he is being paid top dollar to be a point producing #1 center. which he hasnt been

I dont like him on the powerplay, he seems to mishandle the puck and is slow making decisions.

like others have stated tho i do love his work ethic. i think hes a good team guy that will go in and battle every night. but at the end of the day were still missing what we had hoped we'd signed in the offseason.. a top center. and his cap hit will make it harder for us to solve that issue going forward

oh well. what can you do. based on what was available the gamble made sense for the jets

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I think Burmistrov gets held to a higher standard because of his skill. He's been given lots of 2nd line time with Kane and still can't get points. Weighing talent vs results he may be one of the worst players in the league. By that I mean he should at least have a boat load of assists. Earlier in the season he was basically our most responsible player. He had that one game where he did the superman to get his only goal of the season. It seems since that time he has over handled the puck, increased his turn overs in all areas of the ice and reduced his involvement in scoring chances.
I think sitting and benching guys can be ok.
Wellwood has looked much better since his time in the press box.
Postma is likely going to come back fired up.
Some pressure / fear for their jobs could help.

I really hope Scheifele can play top 6 minutes next year!!!
That would make things much simpler.

Tdoe42

Jun 7, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Bingo. If we were paying Jokinen to be a third line forward (aka half his current salary) I would probably be in love with how hes playing. But he is being paid top dollar to be a point producing #1 center. which he hasnt been

4.5 Is hardly Top dollar for a #1 C... Getzlaf just got 8.25

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I wouldn't be against Noel benching Burmi, if he actually showed that it doesn't matter how old you are, if you play like crap, you get benched. He has not shown that, not with Burmi, and neither with Scheifele. Maybe it's just tough love, but it seems stupid to not show the guys that you are as accountable no matter how long you've been in the league.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I wouldn't be against Noel benching Burmi, if he actually showed that it doesn't matter how old you are, if you play like crap, you get benched. He has not shown that, not with Burmi, and neither with Scheifele. Maybe it's just tough love, but it seems stupid to not show the guys that you are as accountable no matter how long you've been in the league.

I have no problem with it either. I have and will continue to argue his effectiveness (unless he stops being effective), but he has had a few sub par showings and is clearly capable of more. Is a benching going to bring it out of him? Don't know. I hope it does. Clipped ice timr worked for Kane a year and some ago.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I have no problem with it either. I have and will continue to argue his effectiveness (unless he stops being effective), but he has had a few sub par showings and is clearly capable of more. Is a benching going to bring it out of him? Don't know. I hope it does. Clipped ice timr worked for Kane a year and some ago.

Show me a hockey coach at any level who doesn't use it.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay

True that. He was relegated to the fourth line, got his act together, then scored 30 goals. Seems like it worked out.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
4.5 Is hardly Top dollar for a #1 C... Getzlaf just got 8.25

Very true. Not sure why the $ on a deal like Olli's matters anyways. He didn't prevent the Jets from adding anyone else and the deal doesn't have enough term to screw the team moving forward.

I agree that I would like more from Olli. I don't care what $ figures are on his contract. Sames goes for Antro and Hainsey as the Jets aren't in a cap crunch.

Tdoe42

Jun 7, 2011
Winnipeg, MB

Whats the use of benching players like Antro, Olli or Wellwood they are what they are we know what we are gonna get. Guys like Burmi tho are still young and has the potential to be a top tier player still. The others are already regressing players and it wont help much

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Whats the use of benching players like Antro, Olli or Wellwood they are what they are we know what we are gonna get. Guys like Burmi tho are still young and has the potential to be a top tier player still. The others are already regressing players and it wont help much

To show them that their play is not acceptable? Just because they won't improve in their overall play doesn't mean it's acceptable that they are hurting the team. What signal do you send to the younger players if they get benched for making mistakes, while the older players doesn't get benched if they cost the team games?

"Don't you dare make a mistake! Until you're older, then we don't really care what you do."

Jokinen is an awful -11, has a solid 7 points while getting the most PP-minutes on the team, and has had several games where he has hurt the team offensively and defensively. Where is his accountability? Or was slapping an A on his jersey just to show that he's untouchable?

Tdoe42

Jun 7, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
To show them that their play is not acceptable? Just because they won't improve in their overall play doesn't mean it's acceptable that they are hurting the team. What signal do you send to the younger players if they get benched for making mistakes, while the older players doesn't get benched if they cost the team games?

"Don't you dare make a mistake! Until you're older, then we don't really care what you do."

Jokinen is an awful -11, has a solid 7 points while getting the most PP-minutes on the team, and has had several games where he has hurt the team offensively and defensively. Where is his accountability? Or was slapping an A on his jersey just to show that he's untouchable?

Olli got Demoted to the 3rd line not exactly getting away scot free. It is a doubble standard and im fine with that young players should be on a short leash

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Olli got Demoted to the 3rd line not exactly getting away scot free. It is a doubble standard and im fine with that young players should be on a short leash

Different opinions then. I agree that young players should have a short leash, but to give Jokinen this much ice time (and PP time) when he's not doing anything with it is have waaay too much of a double standard IMO.

Switching subjects, DAMN the team looked awful tonight. I was sure we were gonna lose this one. I didn't think we looked much better than we did against Florida when we lost 4-1. Better goalie performance, and that's about it.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I think we're on the same page. Our entire PP is so quick to pass back to the point that the PK is well coached to defend it. If a winger from the half boards went cross ice every-so-often, it would force the high men on the PK to collapse a little. Also, a pass to the mid/high slot for a one-time would also tighten the PK box. As of now, the opposing teams simply cover our points, and WE STILL TRY to force it back there.

I'm not being facetious here, but have any Jets forward even attempted a one-time shot this year on a powerplay from a clean set-up? I mean, from face-off dot to face-off dot (for example)?

I don't get why they still do it. It is an area of the team that we definitely need to change. It's so bad, that it is now costing us hockey games.

It needs to be addressed. Stat.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
I think we're on the same page. Our entire PP is so quick to pass back to the point that the PK is well coached to defend it. If a winger from the half boards went cross ice every-so-often, it would force the high men on the PK to collapse a little.
Seems the only guy who can do this is Byfuglien, e.g. his game-winner versus Florida on Friday. Sad that we have to rely on a defenseman to do that.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Re: the PP, it might help if we could actually take a decent one-timer. I don't know why, but it looks to me like every player on the team has developed a bad habit of hesitating for a split second before deciding to fire which gives the defender just enough time to get in the way. There must have been a Half-dozen one-timers last night that bounced off defenders and almost (or did) turn into odd man rushes against us.

As far as Burmi goes, we don't really know what's going on behind the scenes. There may be some specific things he's being asked to do and that he's not doing. I don't think it's as simple as just benching guys who play poorly. I mean you can't bench half the team...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad