Jeremy Jacobs bullish on Houston and Seattle, not Quebec

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Jeremy Jacobs is the man behind the curtain in the NHL and he has been known to tip his hand which is something Bettman never does.

But it turns out there is a reason for him to like Seattle :popcorn:

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...ner_jeremy_jacobs_on_topic_as_nhl_s_point_man

Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs is the chairman of the Board of the NHL Governors and, as such, is one of the most powerful men in the world of professional hockey.

So when he weighs in on league issues, as he did last week at Bruins media day, you can disagree with him all you want but it’s still worth a listen. A year ago on the same day, he gave his strong opinion that the NHL was not going to participate in the 2018 Olympic Games in South Korea. At the time, many still believed the league eventually would capitulate to the desires of players to participate in the Games, but it is not happening.

So with that, the good folks in Quebec City hopeful to land the next NHL franchise should take note. Jacobs does not see it coming to fruition.

“Quebec’s a great market and it has been for many years. But really when I think about it, I don’t see expansion going into the East,” Jacobs said, adding that the league is not in any current discussions with any prospective expansion group. “But that’s me, talking as Boston. I’m not talking as the league. The league may feel differently.”

It may be no coincidence that Jacobs’ Sportservice Corporation has reportedly signed a concessions deal with the group proposing to renovate Seattle’s KeyArena, but Jacobs called Rain City, a couple of hours drive from the Canadian border, a “very interesting location.” But he also mentioned Houston as intriguing, as he has in the past.

“Those are two huge markets,” Jacobs said of Seattle and Houston.

Relocation could be Quebec's only hope but there are too many moving parts to get a read yet.

It us becoming apparent Karmanos is having problems finding a buyer able to meet his price. Chuck Greenberg is willing but can ge get the financing? Ottawa is fragile at the moment and Melnyk is a loose cannon. If he can't lock up the proposed arena downtown he could throw his hands up and walk away.

I honestly believe the Canadiens are doing everything they can behind the scenes to protect their virtual monopoly in Quebec and minority owner Bell doesn't want to see TVAS get any stronger.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
And in other news, water is wet.

Really not much different than what he said a couple of years ago.

Seattle looks like it's almost a go so yes, see his motives for wanting to go there on many fronts.

For Houston it a all depends on the new owner. If Fertita is not interested or not in a financial position for both....that would be over 2.7 billion for 2 teams.....then Jacobs will long dead before Houston becomes an option. He was officially approved on Friday so we should know pretty soon if this market is realistic.

Quebec? Yeah it's setting itself up as a relo site...could be many options..If imbalance is not a factor...there are 5 different possibilities with varying level of liklihoods....to please the sunbelt crows....there are 2 Canadian cities....and none in Florida on my list:D

Last edited:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
And in other news, water is wet.

Really not much different than what he said a couple of years ago.

Seattle looks like it's almost a go so yes, see his motives for wanting to go there on many fronts.

For Houston it a all depends on the new owner. If Fertita is not interested or not in a financial position for both....that would be over 2.7 billion for 2 teams.....then Jacobs will long dead before Houston becomes an option. He was officially approved on Friday so we should know pretty soon if this market is realistic.

Quebec? Yeah it's setting itself up as a relo site...could be many options..If imbalance is not a factor...there are 5 different possibilities with varying level of liklihoods....to please the sunbelt crows....there are 2 Canadian cities....and none in Florida on my list:D

I can reasonably guess that Ottawa, Calgary, Arizona and Carolina are on your list with most likely the Islanders being the 5th team.

Calgary will sort itself out, to me it looks like the local issue driving the election there is the transit expansion and not the arena. The Islanders situation will take time as nothing happens quickly in New York. Ottawa hinges on the downtown arena which leaves Carolina and Arizona.

:popcorn:

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Jeremy Jacobs is the man behind the curtain in the NHL and he has been known to tip his hand which is something Bettman never does.

But it turns out there is a reason for him to like Seattle :popcorn:

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...ner_jeremy_jacobs_on_topic_as_nhl_s_point_man

Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs is the chairman of the Board of the NHL Governors and, as such, is one of the most powerful men in the world of professional hockey.

So when he weighs in on league issues, as he did last week at Bruins media day, you can disagree with him all you want but it’s still worth a listen. A year ago on the same day, he gave his strong opinion that the NHL was not going to participate in the 2018 Olympic Games in South Korea. At the time, many still believed the league eventually would capitulate to the desires of players to participate in the Games, but it is not happening.

So with that, the good folks in Quebec City hopeful to land the next NHL franchise should take note. Jacobs does not see it coming to fruition.

“Quebec’s a great market and it has been for many years. But really when I think about it, I don’t see expansion going into the East,” Jacobs said, adding that the league is not in any current discussions with any prospective expansion group. “But that’s me, talking as Boston. I’m not talking as the league. The league may feel differently.”

It may be no coincidence that Jacobs’ Sportservice Corporation has reportedly signed a concessions deal with the group proposing to renovate Seattle’s KeyArena, but Jacobs called Rain City, a couple of hours drive from the Canadian border, a “very interesting location.” But he also mentioned Houston as intriguing, as he has in the past.

“Those are two huge markets,” Jacobs said of Seattle and Houston.

Relocation could be Quebec's only hope but there are too many moving parts to get a read yet.

It us becoming apparent Karmanos is having problems finding a buyer able to meet his price. Chuck Greenberg is willing but can ge get the financing? Ottawa is fragile at the moment and Melnyk is a loose cannon. If he can't lock up the proposed arena downtown he could throw his hands up and walk away.

I honestly believe the Canadiens are doing everything they can behind the scenes to protect their virtual monopoly in Quebec and minority owner Bell doesn't want to see TVAS get any stronger.

To all those who think Bettman is the reason why Quebec isn't back, read this. Bettman doesn't control the league it's the BoG. I've been saying this for years.

Now reading between the lines, it's very clear Quebec is the relocation threat vs expansion. But unlike past threats such as KC & Hamilton, Quebec is ready to go. The expansion bid demonstrated that. If a team (particularly an eastern one) moves the Nordiques will be back.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
To all those who think Bettman is the reason why Quebec isn't back, read this. Bettman doesn't control the league it's the BoG. I've been saying this for years.

Now reading between the lines, it's very clear Quebec is the relocation threat vs expansion. But unlike past threats such as KC & Hamilton, Quebec is ready to go. The expansion bid demonstrated that. If a team (particularly an eastern one) moves the Nordiques will be back.
JJ and not Bettman is the one pulling the strings. But the NHL might be trapped again like they were with the Jets if they don't play their cards right.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
I can reasonably guess that Ottawa, Calgary, Arizona and Carolina are on your list with most likely the Islanders being the 5th team.

Calgary will sort itself out, to me it looks like the local issue driving the election there is the transit expansion and not the arena. The Islanders situation will take time as nothing happens quickly in New York. Ottawa hinges on the downtown arena which leaves Carolina and Arizona.

:popcorn:

Your intuition serves you well!

My thoughts on each situation is the same as well though with the Isles situation, what Barclays wants is the wildcard.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I'd certainly rather see the NHL in Houston and/or Seattle rather than Quebec.

If the NHL and the Molsons had been strong enough to stand up to the stupid beer boycott that got Quebec into the league in 1979, we probably would never be having this conversation. The NHL really didn't want Quebec in 1979, don't see why people would be surprised that they don't want it now.

Reactions: Atticus Finch

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
Jacobs has a really inexplicable hatred for Québec. Not just from the fact most public comments these last few years have been about little other then bashing Québec.

He organized this year a Bruins pre-season game (with the Bruins pocketing most of the money from it).... only to bring the Z-team to the game (Bergeron for exemple didn't even take the plane to Québec).

And that's even trough he used Bergeron's face in all promotional material for the event... and there are (no joke) tens and tens of thousands of Bruins fans in Québec (in fact, I am certain every Bruin home game has a significant Québec contingent in the stands).

It's like they deliberatly wanted to screw over the suckers who spent 100-300$ a ticket for their kids, trusting that the Bruins would at least bring along a couple of NHLers to their own event.

I am constantly stunned and surprised at Jacobs hatred for Québec, what did we do to him to warrant such a vendetta against us? Other then give him a lot of our money?

Last edited:
Reactions: bert

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com
I'd certainly rather see the NHL in Houston and/or Seattle rather than Quebec.

If the NHL and the Molsons had been strong enough to stand up to the stupid beer boycott that got Quebec into the league in 1979, we probably would never be having this conversation. The NHL really didn't want Quebec in 1979, don't see why people would be surprised that they don't want it now.

As I've said before going back to these small Canadian markets is a backwards move for the NHL. Why waste an expansion team on these markets when big American markets like Houston, Seattle and KC are available? These are the markets that will grow the fanbase and revenue in the future.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Jacobs has a really inexplicable hatred for Québec. Not just from the fact most public comments these last few years have been about little other then bashing Québec.

He organized this year a Bruins pre-season game (with the Bruins pocketing most of the money from it).... only to bring the Z-team to the game (Bergeron for exemple didn't even take the plane to Québec).

And that's even trough he used Bergeron's face in all promotional material for the event... and there are (no joke) tens and tens of thousands of Bruins fans in Québec (in fact, I am certain every Bruin home game has a significant Québec contingent in the stands).

It's like they deliberatly wanted to screw over the suckers who spent 100-300$ a ticket for their kids, trusting that the Bruins would at least bring along a couple of NHLers to their own event.

I am constantly stunned and surprised at Jacobs hatred for Québec, what did we do to him to warrant such a vendetta against us? Other then give him a lot of our money?
Not hate. He just wants those markets more.
As I've said before going back to these small Canadian markets is a backwards move for the NHL. Why waste an expansion team on these markets when big American markets like Houston, Seattle and KC are available? These are the markets that will grow the fanbase and revenue in the future.
nothing big about kc. At best it would be a middle market. The blues never make money so what makes people think of would do so much better?

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn

I don't think not believing in a market means he hates the place.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
If I'm the NHL the 32nd city is Seattle. Houston can be a relocation city for when Arizona or Vegas moves. Quebec City probably gets Carolina, Florida or the Islanders when/if either of those teams move.

Reactions: Rigafan

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com
Not hate. He just wants those markets more.
nothing big about kc. At best it would be a middle market. The blues never make money so what makes people think of would do so much better?

You're right KC isn't a very big market but I'd still prefer it over QC. I don't care how much money any individual market makes, that's why the NHL has revenue sharing.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
At some point, tangible evidence that Geoff Molson is impeding expansion/relocation will have to be brought in support to support the claim to this effect, because it's getting quite tiresome.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
If I'm the NHL the 32nd city is Seattle. Houston can be a relocation city for when Arizona or Vegas moves. Quebec City probably gets Carolina, Florida or the Islanders when/if either of those teams move.

why would either Arizona or Vegas be on the move, tony?

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !

It is indeed surprising as f*** why the league went to Las Vegas, a market despite being particular...times and times smaller than Seattle and Huston.

Actually, its not surprising at all. Because no one in Seattle nor Huston wanted to shell out 300-400M for an arena and another half a billion for a team. That's why the league didn't go to those cities because the small Vegas.

I just wish history played differently and WHA was still existing today.

Reactions: Digital Kid

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Jacobs sold the rights to one of the Bruins preseason game to this Quebec company in return for a flat fee

upload_2017-10-9_1-0-5.png

The Blue Jays use the same company for the 2 games they play every year in Montreal.

I have to assume Jacobs tried to get the concessions at Centre Videotron and lost out to another bidder. The only real beef the Bruins have with Quebec City is Jean Lesage Airport because it doesn't have US Customs preclearance like other major Canadian airports. The Bruins use a regional airport west of Boston for their charter instead of Logan so after their games in Quebec the past 2 years they would fly from Quebec to Logan, go through customs and then fly from Logan to the other airport 10 miles away.

I still believe Quebec's biggest problem is Montreal. The Nords last season in Quebec the team was generating better TV numbers in Montreal than the Habs because they were playing exciting hockey. I feel confident writing that the Habs had enough clout in the 'National Assembly' to deny Marcel Aubut the funding he needed for a new arena.

Montreal has never considered Ottawa a threat to their turf even though they are 123 miles apart. The Senators have had limited appeal to the francophones on the Quebec side of the Ottawa River and this is after a full generation. Quebec City is 163 miles away but many in the province not living on the island despise all things Montreal if given another choice.

Jacobs as a concessionaire obviously builds relationships with brewers in North America looking for a deal. About a year ago Miller/Coors became MOLSON/Coors worldwide. I firmly believe that is the key to this puzzle.

Reactions: TRG

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Jacobs sold the rights to one of the Bruins preseason game to this Quebec company in return for a flat fee

View attachment 78767

The Blue Jays use the same company for the 2 games they play every year in Montreal.

I have to assume Jacobs tried to get the concessions at Centre Videotron and lost out to another bidder. The only real beef the Bruins have with Quebec City is Jean Lesage Airport because it doesn't have US Customs preclearance like other major Canadian airports. The Bruins use a regional airport west of Boston for their charter instead of Logan so after their games in Quebec the past 2 years they would fly from Quebec to Logan, go through customs and then fly from Logan to the other airport 10 miles away.

Problem with precleareance is actually the US Government. The airport is still under a major renovation (landing strips were done this summer, the concourses last year, interior multi-stories parking is being done right now, ...).

Back in March 2016 after Obama and Trudeau met, US Congress passed a bill to facilitate the implementation but since then...well elections and what not.

Interesting fact about ''evenko'' is that back when George Gillett owned the Canadiens he created a sideline company that was managing everything in the Centre Bell and was called Groupe Spectacles Gillett. In 2010 the name was changed to evenko. Little is it known is that when Gillett sold Habs to Molson, GSG/evenko was included in the transaction.

Since then evenko did expand its roots throughout the rest of Quebec and Maritimes.

So...evenko, Molson, Habs...........even the italian mafia isn't this crooked.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Problem with precleareance is actually the US Government. The airport is still under a major renovation (landing strips were done this summer, the concourses last year, interior multi-stories parking is being done right now, ...).

Back in March 2016 after Obama and Trudeau met, US Congress passed a bill to facilitate the implementation but since then...well elections and what not.

Interesting fact about ''evenko'' is that back when George Gillett owned the Canadiens he created a sideline company that was managing everything in the Centre Bell and was called Groupe Spectacles Gillett. In 2010 the name was changed to evenko. Little is it known is that when Gillett sold Habs to Molson, GSG/evenko was included in the transaction.

Since then evenko did expand its roots throughout the rest of Quebec and Maritimes.

So...evenko, Molson, Habs...........even the italian mafia isn't this crooked.

So what you are saying is Jacobs sold his home game to the Habs to market in Quebec City - oh what a tangled web they lead :laugh:

I have a friend who works for US Customs and he has told me the preclearance assignments are coveted because of generous housing allowances. They hope to have it up and running at the main train station in Montreal next spring for currently ONE train that goes to New York and Washington and a planned second train to New England.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
It is indeed surprising as **** why the league went to Las Vegas, a market despite being particular...times and times smaller than Seattle and Huston.

I just wish history played differently and WHA was still existing today.

I was a big supporter of the WHA because the Winnipeg Jets were a part of that league. However, the league was mainly able to get off the ground because the teams offered NHL players more money than they were getting in the senior league. Since the WHA was mostly a gate driven league without a national television contract, it would not be able to exist in this day and age. The NHL is no longer controlled by owners trying to pay players peanuts for the privilege to play on their particular team. The players are now paid millions and the league makes hundreds of millions from media. The WHA came into existence at just the right time in history and it is not likely we'll ever see something like that occur again.

:jets

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad