Confirmed with Link: Jeff Jackson (McDavid's now former agent) named Oilers CEO of Hockey Ops

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You do realize that some people can not like losing to Vegas but also not spend 3 months on this site trying to fire everything & everyone into the sun.

The paranoia that Bobby Nicks is somehow responsible for losing to Vegas is hilarious. You both have clearly not let go of the decade of darkness.

Also, it is a shame you both spent June and July talking about how our coach shouldn't see an NHL bench again - you should have saved some material for the slow month of August.
I've been calling for Nicholson's head for a while now. Did he lose us the series to Vegas? No of course not. But it's naive to think that his GM hirings haven't hindered our ability to win a Stanley Cup or even get close. He was a buddy buddy hire and nothing more. "The most respected man in hockey" was what they called him at the time. Absolute nonsense.

As for the bolded, I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. I have been very staunch in my defense of Woodcroft. He definitely got outcoached but I'm not calling for his head.

Maybe don't lump everyone who critiques the org in together.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Jackson was with Gregor yesterday for a pretty good interview.

Didn't really start about the Oilers more his journey to get to where he is today.

Very interesting that Gillis, Ferguson and Fletcher were guys that helped him along the way lol.

Couple interesting tidbits was that they are going to announce something with regards to their analytical department soon. Sounds like they had a very in-depth one at his agency and wants to continue that. Made it very clear though that analytics is just one of the many tools not the end all tool

Also mentioned something about the medical staff and some innovations they will be bringing in. Did say he really likes what we have already and that he thought Edmonton had one of the best in the league. Just said like the analytics you also want to continue to grow and be ahead of the game and try get that extra edge.

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto

Didn't really start about the Oilers more his journey to get to where he is today.

Very interesting that Gillis, Ferguson and Fletcher were guys that helped him along the way lol.

Couple interesting tidbits was that they are going to announce something with regards to their analytical department soon. Sounds like they had a very in-depth one at his agency and wants to continue that. Made it very clear though that analytics is just one of the many tools not the end all tool

Also mentioned something about the medical staff and some innovations they will be bringing in. Did say he really likes what we have already and that he thought Edmonton had one of the best in the league. Just said like the analytics you also want to continue to grow and be ahead of the game and try get that extra edge.
Sounds very good Imo but I also couldn't resist a smirk when I read that Fletcher helped him along the way. I hope it wasn't about trades or roster building lol

Reactions: joestevens29

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Sounds very good Imo but I also couldn't resist a smirk when I read that Fletcher helped him along the way. I hope it wasn't about trades or roster building lol
Lol I smirked at all three of the guys the helped him out, up until Burke came in.

Gillis was the guy that pushed him to go into law. Something about some program that was being brought in with the PA that Jackson was involved with then after going to school he stayed in school.

Then Ferguson brought him back into the NHL in different roles with the Leafs

Once Fletcher came in it sounded like he was given a larger role.

When Burke finally took over he brought Poulin and Nonis I believe in and the writing was on the wall. Burke did tell him that there is a job if you want, but those two are my guys.

Did mention to that taking this job wasn't exactly a clear cut yes. Took quite a bit of thinking, but ultimately he said when he's 65 he might've kicked himself in the ass for not taking advantage of the situation. Said the team is setup quite well and are moving in the right direction with an owner that is committed, so it made sense. And just like when he went from a lawyer to the hockey world, I think he feels that if he doesn't have the success he wants he has a lot of options to fall back on. Granted I think there is a good pile of money for him to fall safely on now to.

After listening to the guy yesterday, really think he should write a book down the line. The guy has had a very interesting life. Going from a kid that never thought he'd make the NHL to getting drafted 1st round in the OHL, to 2nd round in the NHL, to lawyer, then various hockey management roles, to an agent, to an agent of the best player in the world and now onto CEO of a really good team with a great history.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Lol I smirked at all three of the guys the helped him out, up until Burke came in.

Gillis was the guy that pushed him to go into law. Something about some program that was being brought in with the PA that Jackson was involved with then after going to school he stayed in school.

When Burke finally took over he brought Poulin and Nonis I believe in and the writing was on the wall. Burke did tell him that there is a job if you want, but those two are my guys.

Did mention to that taking this job wasn't exactly a clear cut yes. Took quite a bit of thinking, but ultimately he said when he's 65 he might've kicked himself in the ass for not taking advantage of the situation. Said the team is setup quite well and are moving in the right direction with an owner that is committed, so it made sense. And just like when he went from a lawyer to the hockey world, I think he feels that if he doesn't have the success he wants he has a lot of options to fall back on. Granted I think there is a good pile of money for him to fall safely on now to.

After listening to the guy yesterday, really think he should write a book down the line. The guy has had a very interesting life. Going from a kid that never thought he'd make the NHL to getting drafted 1st round in the OHL, to 2nd round in the NHL, to lawyer, then various hockey management roles, to an agent, to an agent of the best player in the world and now onto CEO of a really good team with a great history.
His landscaping story was interesting as well. He apparently did large landscaping jobs and loves that kind of stuff.

Reactions: bellagiobob

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
His landscaping story was interesting as well. He apparently did large landscaping jobs and loves that kind of stuff.
Oh shit I forgot about that lol. There was a lot to take in.

I saw a picture of him on Instagram, would've never guessed the guy was a CEO of anything lol

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Really good interview, worth a listen if anyone hasn’t done so yet. Down to earth guy, both book smart and street smart, very focused and driven, well spoken, focused on all the right things. I like people who are intelligent, but more so confident in their abilities to the point that they don’t have to brag about it, the satisfaction of a job well is their reward. Smart hire by Katz.

Reactions: joestevens29

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
So they hired Parkatti.. I like it. I really didn't like the Pracey hire based on his track record, which is abysmal outside of 1 lucky year. Not that I admired Wright's work either, frankly. How they hell are they so poor about finding real, talented bird dogs in the amateur scouting ranks?

Anyways, good to see a modern thinking, well regarded analytics guy brought in.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Jackson putting in the work already. Best in class, here we come.

Step 1. Hire Pracey to begin the overhaul of our amateur scouting
Step 2. Hire Parkatti to begin the overhaul of our analytics department.

Wonder what he has up his sleeves for Step 3. I’m hoping he has a good, long look at what Schwartz has done for this organization.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

Wonder what he has up his sleeves for Step 3. I’m hoping he has a good, long look at what Schwartz has done for this organization.
The Oilers added a goalie scout according to their website.

Reactions: TheNumber4

Barrsy

May 14, 2017

Well, our 3rd rounder, #1 goalie, rookie of the year finalist would be a start.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta

Just needs the finale, a stanley cup W 😉

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Take a moment from obsessing over spreadsheets to do something or get the f*** out of the way
The Oilers as usual as always have totally f'cked up the whole management organization. Holland is still in charge as a total lame duck gm and will either do nothing or will make some dumb trade this year and then he will ride off into the sunset with all of that cash.

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
Honestly once he’s finally let go (if) he should start running workshops on how to keep your job while everyone else around you is getting canned. He’d become a world renowned expert in no time.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Every hire the Oilers have made since the late 90s has backfired in spectacular fashion.

Bad managers and coaches is more a hallmark of the franchise than Gretzky and the dynasty years these days.

This is the hire that instead of securing McDavid for 8 more years costs us McDavid.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
This is the hire that instead of securing McDavid for 8 more years costs us McDavid.

Ironic since it’s likely McDavid’s fingerprints are all over this move, maybe he’ll take him with him to Arizona or whatever team can actually fit him on

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Ironic since it’s likely McDavid’s fingerprints are all over this move, maybe he’ll take him with him to Arizona or whatever team can actually fit him on

Holland and Katz' fingerprints are all over this team being a gong show ... point the finger where it belongs.

Jeff Jackson or McDavid are not the reason the Oilers haven't been able to build a d-corps or find a goalie in 9 years and given 1st round pick after 1st round pick (three more in the top 10 even *after* McDavid) and done jack shit with all of that hockey capital.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad