Confirmed with Link: Jeff Jackson (McDavid's now former agent) named Oilers CEO of Hockey Ops

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
The Oilers' minions always give management the benefit of the doubt and the Oilers always overpay...

... therefore 2 x 4.1M

2 x $4.1 is still fine with me. Happy with a bridge. Two years is good from a timing and player evaluation perspective. Sure he's going to knock it out of the park in terms of pp contributions, but we can evaluate him vs (say Nurse) for EV contributions and get a much better sense of how he's contributing defensively.

If there are still struggles in the own zone in two years, they will likely continue with only modest improvement going forward, so capping the salary below $7M "do it all" levels is reasonable and possible.

Analytics will help us here.

NegativeNelly

Jun 23, 2016
Edmonton
Another thing Katz did was not hire an OBC member to run the team. The troublesome part for me is having Coffey whispering in his ear, but I'm definitely on board with the Jackson hiring.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Another thing Katz did was not hire an OBC member to run the team. The troublesome part for me is having Coffey whispering in his ear, but I'm definitely on board with the Jackson hiring.
OBC hires hasn't been a thing in Edmonton since Mact was hired(and predictably bombed) as GM a decade ago. Nicholson wasn't an OBC hire, Chiarelli/Holland weren't OBC hires, Mclellan/Tippett/Woodcroft weren't OBC hires either. Katz has been chasing guys with track records in other organizations to run the franchise for him for quite a while now.

Coffey might be around, but reportedly his position in the organization has been to sit in the owners suite and drink booze with Katz while watching hockey games up until this point. He might getting more of an expanded role in the organization and some credit for connecting Jackson as the new CEO, but there is no evidence that he is incompetent or unsuited for an expanded role within the organization.

Reactions: CROTT and 5 14 6 1

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Good interview. Nothing new but fills me with hope he makes additions into any lacking areas of the club with sports science, analytics, goaltending development, scouting, player development, recruitment and better bigger burgers.

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
You're actually supportive of Nicholsons body of work here?
My visibility into the club heirarchy relies on the fact we've won at most 8 playoff games in a single year since he was hired.

Did you enjoy seeing Vegas kick our ass?

I don't get these people. You'd think we weren't waxed out of the playoffs by a team we should've beaten yet again.

You do realize that some people can not like losing to Vegas but also not spend 3 months on this site trying to fire everything & everyone into the sun.

The paranoia that Bobby Nicks is somehow responsible for losing to Vegas is hilarious. You both have clearly not let go of the decade of darkness.

Also, it is a shame you both spent June and July talking about how our coach shouldn't see an NHL bench again - you should have saved some material for the slow month of August.

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
It also sounds like Jackson knew a lot about setting clients up with things like good training etc.

I like that. If the oilers can help to keep improving all the quality of life aspects for players it is a great way to distinguish yourself from other teams in a cap world.

Finding the things players need and want that are extra bonuses so they go and tell other players about all the good perks of the oilers org is always a good thing

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You do realize that some people can not like losing to Vegas but also not spend 3 months on this site trying to fire everything & everyone into the sun.

The paranoia that Bobby Nicks is somehow responsible for losing to Vegas is hilarious. You both have clearly not let go of the decade of darkness.

Also, it is a shame you both spent June and July talking about how our coach shouldn't see an NHL bench again - you should have saved some material for the slow month of August.
Nicholson is responsible for hiring Chiarelli, and even the manner in which he hired him of going against his stated principle of doing an exhaustive search and instead just deciding on this guy who wrecked the franchise. We'd likely have a cup by now is we still had the team loaded with players like Hall, Eberle, Perron in addition to the riches we have.

Woody is responsible for being an inexperienced NHL coach at the wrong time in our arc and not getting out of his way and ego and doing what any sensible coach would do in terms of goalie allotment and player usage. Woody couldn't even figure out which line and D pair matchups were getting burned alive in the Vegas series. Or of course that starting Skinner EVERY game was something our playoff opponents wanted to be seeing.

Reactions: CROTT

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
OBC hires hasn't been a thing in Edmonton since Mact was hired(and predictably bombed) as GM a decade ago. Nicholson wasn't an OBC hire, Chiarelli/Holland weren't OBC hires, Mclellan/Tippett/Woodcroft weren't OBC hires either. Katz has been chasing guys with track records in other organizations to run the franchise for him for quite a while now.

Coffey might be around, but reportedly his position in the organization has been to sit in the owners suite and drink booze with Katz while watching hockey games up until this point. He might getting more of an expanded role in the organization and some credit for connecting Jackson as the new CEO, but there is no evidence that he is incompetent or unsuited for an expanded role within the organization.
Nicholson wasn't OBC but he was a bad hire. He was in way over his head.
Replacing him with Jackson is a massive step up for this organization.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Nicholson wasn't OBC but he was a bad hire. He was in way over his head.
Replacing him with Jackson is a massive step up for this organization.
I wasn't passing judgement on Nicholson's era, just the idea that OBC hiring is still a big thing in Edmonton.

I don't really agree with the take that he was a bad hiring though. Chia was a bad hire obviously, but Holland has been largely positive. He also was more than willing to punt Mact as his first act, and didn't let Chia's reign of terror run on too long the way some other organizations probably would. Those are just the big visible things though, most of what he does is behind the scenes which we have absolutely no way of objectively assessing. You say he was over his head(not sure why), but Katz might be saying behind the scenes "You made me so much money and fixed a ton of things with the organization that no one sees, I'm sad you're retiring". There is no way for us to know one way or another.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Might be a good hire, even if he helps sell a future here to McDavid. He will no doubt do a far better job that Bumbling Bobby could.

Funny we have to balance it with an OBC hire. Coffey really snuck his way into this org skillfully. Few years ago he's just retired coaching his kids hockey team as his only post career credential. Now, after some stints like being a once a week advice man for our AHL D, he's tied to Katz's hip near the top.

Reactions: HallOfGreatness4

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Might be a good hire, even if he helps sell a future here to McDavid. He will no doubt do a far better job that Bumbling Bobby could.

Funny we have to balance it with an OBC hire. Coffey really snuck his way into this org skillfully. Few years ago he's just retired coaching his kids hockey team as his only post career credential. Now, after some stints like being a once a week advice man for our AHL D, he's tied to Katz's hip near the top.
And now mike Grier is a gm and bill guerin

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I wasn't passing judgement on Nicholson's era, just the idea that OBC hiring is still a big thing in Edmonton.

I don't really agree with the take that he was a bad hiring though. Chia was a bad hire obviously, but Holland has been largely positive. He also was more than willing to punt Mact as his first act, and didn't let Chia's reign of terror run on too long the way some other organizations probably would. Those are just the big visible things though, most of what he does is behind the scenes which we have absolutely no way of objectively assessing. You say he was over his head(not sure why), but Katz might be saying behind the scenes "You made me so much money and fixed a ton of things with the organization that no one sees, I'm sad you're retiring". There is no way for us to know one way or another.
Nicholson was an Administrator and he was doing that job with Hockey Canada. A position where everything (players, coaches et al) comes to him.
Its a very different animal from a hockey Ops job in the NHL.
He should have never been calling the shots on the Hockey Ops side IMO.
Thats why I suggest that he was in over his head and his hiring decisions pre Holland certainly reflected that..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad