Player Discussion Jeff Gorton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Chiarelli quit? :laugh:
In all seriousness, there’s really nothing analagous to that trade in the NHL. That was arguably one of the worst trades made in any American sports league. It made the Nets a marginal playoff team for one season and then crippled any chances they had at adding young talent to their top. The limited amount of spots on an NBA roster makes those picks more valuable, and the nets pissed any potential they had away.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
After watching McD and Miller in that Washington series, I feel like now is a good time to appreciate just how thoroughly Gorton crushed the TDL.

That was the only trade where there was legitimate debate about if it was fair value or if we got hosed. Anybody wanna do takesie backsies now? I'm fine.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
After watching McD and Miller in that Washington series, I feel like now is a good time to appreciate just how thoroughly Gorton crushed the TDL.

That was the only trade where there was legitimate debate about if it was fair value or if we got hosed. Anybody wanna do takesie backsies now? I'm fine.
Still a bad trade for NYR better trade for TBL. McDonagh could have a Norris quality season next year. Then what? We won the trade because he was bad in the playoffs? Nah.

Reactions: All Might

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Still a bad trade for NYR. McDonagh could have a Norris quality season next year. Then what? We won the trade because he was bad in the playoffs? Nah.

If McD has a Norris quality season again, I will eat the oldest pair of underwear I own.

At the time, I considered the trade to be fair value maybe leaning a little to Tampa. But looking back, I think I over-estimated how much McD would improve when he was no longer The Guy.

But he never. And we have two very prospects, a late first, and a second for him.

Miller is better than Names that said, but he is yet to show up in the playoffs, so I consider that part of the trade more a wipe now than I did at the time.

Would you swap back now? I wouldn't even consider it.

Reactions: will1066

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Good trade then, good trade now. What the players did after being traded doesn't change anything for me. I wouldn't want to pay either guy their next contract; we moved them and in return got a couple very good prospects, picks, and a useful player in Namestnikov. Haven't even heard that there was anything potentially better out there. Again, was good and still is.

"But we could have had Sergachev! That pick should have been conditional on ECF, not winning a Cup!" :rolleyes:

The others, I thought were all pretty great. Again, that still stands.

Gorton gets a definite A from me for his handling of the deadline. And he gets an A for hiring Quinn and setting a new direction for the team. I can see the direction he's working in, and I like it.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
If McD has a Norris quality season again, I will eat the oldest pair of underwear I own.

At the time, I considered the trade to be fair value maybe leaning a little to Tampa. But looking back, I think I over-estimated how much McD would improve when he was no longer The Guy.

But he never. And we have two very prospects, a late first, and a second for him.

Miller is better than Names that said, but he is yet to show up in the playoffs, so I consider that part of the trade more a wipe now than I did at the time.

Would you swap back now? I wouldn't even consider it.
I think swapping back is a tough question. In value? In a second. In what each team needed at the time of the deal? Probably not.

I'm still disappointed in the value we got for McDonagh AND Miller, but if that's what the market dictated, then that's what the market dictated.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I think swapping back is a tough question. In value? In a second. In what each team needed at the time of the deal? Probably not.

I'm still disappointed in the value we got for McDonagh AND Miller, but if that's what the market dictated, then that's what the market dictated.

Yeah, this is fair. When I heard Tampa, my mind immediately went to Sergachev or Point.

I'm willing to bet that Ottawa messed with our potential value a little, but probably not as much as we were hoping anyway. A less stringent condition on the second round pick perhaps.

Even with this trade being very close, he still came out on top of the rest of his moves. And, possibly with the exception of Nash, each trade looks better now than at the deadline. I don't believe we can completely ignore that when analyzing a trade; we don't have access to all of the information that NHL front offices do.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Guilty until proven innocent, huh? What has to happen for him not to be an idiot? Quinn to be coach of the year? An instant Calder winner in the draft? MVP season from one of the kids he traded for?

You do understand that it is going to take a while before you can judge the moves?
Man, so true. I'm still waiting to figure out if Smith was a good GM or not. Too early to tell.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
HUGE fan of Gorton.

Love his no nonsense demeanor
Love his personnel decisions
Love the trades
Love how fast he got rid of AV (maybe 1 year too late if I had to criticize)
Like his thought process in his coaching hire

Why the hate on here?

Reactions: DanishRanger

tailgunner

Jan 8, 2008
just read the tampa board, they are agreeing that they got fleeced, they want no part of McD and Miller on their team, they are screaming for Yzerman to trade them both away.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
just read the tampa board, they are agreeing that they got fleeced, they want no part of McD and Miller on their team, they are screaming for Yzerman to trade them both away.

I can see them overreacting on McDonagh but I'm surprised by the hate for Miller. He's far from a likable guy, but I thought he played well for them.

tailgunner

Jan 8, 2008
I can see them overreacting on McDonagh but I'm surprised by the hate for Miller. He's far from a likable guy, but I thought he played well for them.
agreed...but playoff performance is what really matters, Mike Gartner perfect example, terrific regular season scorer but no production in the playoffs.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
So far, Gorton has pretty much done what he said the Rangers will do.

1). Trade off assets at the deadline to get younger, as well as add picks.

I give him a thumbs up on the returns, including the deal with TB. Hajek, Lindgren and Howden have looked very promising. He also has ammunition to move around in the draft if he sees fit.

2). Fire AV.

While he never explicitly announced this, anyone paying attention to what he said when asked about AV’s future was not surprised by the outcome.

3). Hiring Quinn.

Gorton said the Rangers were looking for a coach with the ability to develop young talent. Quinn certainly sounds like that type of coach. Gorton didn’t go down the same old path by hiring a retread.

So, I’m feeling very optimistic about the upcoming draft. Targeting skill is supposed to be the guiding philosophy. It’s why I believe Zadina is the target, and Gorton wants another top ten pick. Quality over quantity is how things will transpire, so, I hope people will understand why we will likely see this occur. Gorton’s been fairly open and honest about what’s happening. It’s also why Zuccarello will be moved by the draft.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
In order for McD to have a Norris season next year, he would have to be abducted by aliens, probed, injected a superhuman serum, scalded by acid until he becomes horribly disfigured, given a face transplant with Nic Cage, released back into the wild to live with a pack of wolves for three months, and re-acclimated into civilization.

So in other words, zero chance.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Targeting skill is supposed to be the guiding philosophy.
Not just skill. If you look at what he did in Boston, his acquisitions also had size and a specific way of playing. Based on what I have seen/read/heard it "appears he may be looking for a similar model. Skill, hard play, character. More north-south. He may not be viewing this as the most sabermetrically calibrated team, but one that will go into corners and the tough areas of the ice. Of course, that is just my view.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Not just skill. If you look at what he did in Boston, his acquisitions also had size and a specific way of playing. Based on what I have seen/read/heard it "appears he may be looking for a similar model. Skill, hard play, character. More north-south. He may not be viewing this as the most sabermetrically calibrated team, but one that will go into corners and the tough areas of the ice. Of course, that is just my view.

I identify with this view.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
I can watch this style of hockey from my team all day any day

Reactions: DanishRanger

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
As much as I hate the idea of chasing the model of the most recent winners, that sounds similar to Vegas and the Caps. Both pretty relentless, high character and play hard up and down the lineup. TB seemed to go more toward the Chicago/Pens model and ended up being a little too soft and careless imo. Not shocked they lost game 7 but still pretty surprised that they barely put up a fight.

Reactions: will1066

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

As much as I hate the Kings and as much as I'd prefer a skill team, the Kings were advanced stat darlings despite playing exactly that way. There's more than one way to skin the Corsi cat.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
As much as I hate the idea of chasing the model of the most recent winners, that sounds similar to Vegas and the Caps. Both pretty relentless, high character and play hard up and down the lineup. TB seemed to go more toward the Chicago/Pens model and ended up being a little too soft and careless imo. Not shocked they lost game 7 but still pretty surprised that they barely put up a fight.
How much does this take change if Vasi plays slightly better, and TB beats the Caps?

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
The open letter to fans specifically mentioned "character." It was an open admission that the team lacks sandpaper. I like the "sandpaper skill" model. I'm expecting Brooks to read this and use this phrase in one of his upcoming articles whose opening paragraph will start with "Regarding the Rangers...."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad