Recalled/Assigned: Jeff Glass to Rockford

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Well of course, but saying a guy sucks or he's a bum is relative.

I wasn't referring to this at all. I know there's a difference in context when it comes to that. Was just saying in general more relating to LDF's post. But speaking to non-NHL levels I think a lot of fans don't actually grasp how good those guys still are.

Reactions: pvr

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
This kind of came up again a couple of weeks back during the Skills Competition when masses of people started emphatically screaming that Hillary Knight could play in the NHL because she smashed the accuracy shooting competition. People grossly underestimating how good even the lowest rung NHL players are, and that's absolutely zero slight to Knight whatsoever as she is a freakish athlete and amazing hockey player who probably could hang at some pro level with men. That level is not the NHL, however. Full stop.

Enyaw

The names ... Wayne
Jan 17, 2014
Good Luck Jeff Glass ......... and thanks ....you gave your best effort

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
This kind of came up again a couple of weeks back during the Skills Competition when masses of people started emphatically screaming that Hillary Knight could play in the NHL because she smashed the accuracy shooting competition. People grossly underestimating how good even the lowest rung NHL players are, and that's absolutely zero slight to Knight whatsoever as she is a freakish athlete and amazing hockey player who probably could hang at some pro level with men. That level is not the NHL, however. Full stop.

People seriously think that?

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

Absolutely!!

I remember like it was yesterday seeing a fringe Leaf player playing shinny with the boys one Saturday before my Industrial league game. His name was Kevin Macguire who some may remember as an NHL referee.

Anyway this guy Macguire was thought of as mainly a goon with very little skill - played for the Leafs back then. But in this pick-up game he could skate circles around the other players and take the puck and stickhandle through the other team end-to-end, pretty much at will.... and he did exactly that a few times in this game. This fringe NHL player looked like a large Guy Lafleur against these guys. It certainly was an eye-opener at how good the NHL players really were.

Just looked him up on google: In his NHL career, Maguire appeared in 260 games. He scored 29 goals and added 30 assists while accumulating 782 penalty minutes. After his playing career, he pursued a career in officiating. He first worked as an NHL referee in 1999–2000.

Reactions: BK and Blue Liner

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010

That Finnish goalie Noora Raty, looked amazing the last Olympics. And she only made it to a second tier Finnish league. She was like Patrick Roy/Gretzky level in comparison to her peers. It got me thinking about her chances but I guess it just wasn’t possible.

Reactions: Blue Liner

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Absolutely!!

I remember like it was yesterday seeing a fringe Leaf player playing shinny with the boys one Saturday before my Industrial league game. His name was Kevin Macguire who some may remember as an NHL referee.

Anyway this guy Macguire was thought of as mainly a goon with very little skill - played for the Leafs back then. But in this pick-up game he could skate circles around the other players and take the puck and stickhandle through the other team end-to-end, pretty much at will.... and he did exactly that a few times in this game. This fringe NHL player looked like a large Guy Lafleur against these guys. It certainly was an eye-opener at how good the NHL players really were.

Just looked him up on google: In his NHL career, Maguire appeared in 260 games. He scored 29 goals and added 30 assists while accumulating 782 penalty minutes. After his playing career, he pursued a career in officiating. He first worked as an NHL referee in 1999–2000.

For as out of place as he was in the NHL in his era skill wise and such and all the crap he got in his time, John Scott could skate circles people. No exaggeration.

Reactions: BK

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad